Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

Askabout wrote: »
    Yes, I applied for cork, didn't even get a rejection letter :-(

Maybe they haven't sent out the rejection letters yet. I don't know anyone else who applied for it so i can't check.

The interviews are definitely over though, they finished at the end of last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

Maybe they haven't sent out the rejection letters yet. I don't know anyone else who applied for it so i can't check.

The interviews are definitely over though, they finished at the end of last week.

Think you might be looking for answers in the wrong forum. This is clerical officer and the Cork region has only just been called to second round

• Registered Users Posts: 17 laura13579

has anyone been called from sligo region yet? or know when it will be called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

eroc79 wrote: »
    Think you might be looking for answers in the wrong forum. This is clerical officer and the Cork region has only just been called to second round

Ya, I think there is confusion here. This is the permanent CO thread. Cork passport office were looking for TCOs recently. Cork passport office recruit outside the Public Appointments Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Passport Office in Cork recruit through FAS website for TCOs. Its usually a 6 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Just checking back in here after too long - I'll be one of those starting on the 9th in D'Olier House.

It was a long process to get to this point and I can't wait to start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 k8coconut

well done Otherfrog! What were the aptitude tests like (supervised) ?? and the interview??? waiting on a call for Kerry region.....

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I think the aptitude test and interview are fairly standard - but unfortunately, my daughter, who has worked twice as a TCO, and who had a honours degree, failed the interview - so I guess nothing is guaranteed. What irks me is that in both TCO appointments, in different departments, she was told that she had performed excellently, and they'd love to have her back.

But the good folk at the PAS judged her to be unsuitable.

She didn't apply for the E.O., because her confidence has taken a severe knock. I know it's a mistake for her not to apply, (and I'm annoyed), but I can understand her reasons.

I gather most people pass the interview - so it should be fine for almost everybody. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

k8coconut wrote: »
    well done Otherfrog! What were the aptitude tests like (supervised) ?? and the interview??? waiting on a call for Kerry region.....

The example tests that they send on are a good guide to what the real supervised aptitude tests are like. That said, I felt like I was really struggling for time in the numerical reasoning section - it seemed harder, but maybe it was just the pressure on the day.

The first thing to say about the interview, is that there's a lot of documentation & things to bring on the day. So focus on those aspects to begin with & making sure you're there in plenty of time.

For the interview itself, again they give a lot of advice in the documentation you will be sent: what attributes they're looking for, etc.

I was very nervous on the day, as I've been unemployed for quite a while and the stakes were very high. But I gave myself the best chance I could, by being prepared & reading the documentation well. The interviewers were very nice - they will want to know about your work history, and they'll ask probing questions, but they're not trying to catch you out - they just want to make sure you're right for the job, so be honest.

A lot of others have given excellent advice on this thread & it all helped me to get through.

Just give it your best shot.

Best of luck to everyone!

otherfrog wrote: »
    The example tests that they send on are a good guide to what the real supervised aptitude tests are like. That said, I felt like I was really struggling for time in the numerical reasoning section - it seemed harder, but maybe it was just the pressure on the day.

The first thing to say about the interview, is that there's a lot of documentation & things to bring on the day. So focus on those aspects to begin with & making sure you're there in plenty of time.

For the interview itself, again they give a lot of advice in the documentation you will be sent: what attributes they're looking for, etc.

I was very nervous on the day, as I've been unemployed for quite a while and the stakes were very high. But I gave myself the best chance I could, by being prepared & reading the documentation well. The interviewers were very nice - they will want to know about your work history, and they'll ask probing questions, but they're not trying to catch you out - they just want to make sure you're right for the job, so be honest.

A lot of others have given excellent advice on this thread & it all helped me to get through.

Just give it your best shot.

Best of luck to everyone!

Can I ask how much notice you were given of the interview? The call for stage 2 in Cork only gave 6 days notice, I was just wondering if you get a bit more for the interview maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 shoobz

Can I ask how much notice you were given of the interview? The call for stage 2 in Cork only gave 6 days notice, I was just wondering if you get a bit more for the interview maybe?

I got seven days notice, my boyfriend got eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 superfit lady

CBGirl wrote: »
    Has anyone been called for tests for the Donegal region? A friend of a friend has been called & she was roughly 50th on the list for that region.

Yes, I have been called for Thursday next, 29 Jan. I was placed between 10-20 in the first round. Only selected Donegal region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow!

Might sound stupid...but did anyone else have trouble filling in the contract for ICO? We've both filled in what we could but haven't sent it back. Hoping to have things cleared up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

shoobz wrote: »
    Might sound stupid...but did anyone else have trouble filling in the contract for ICO? We've both filled in what we could but haven't sent it back. Hoping to have things cleared up tomorrow.

They were a lot of documents with plenty to fill in.
    I filled in what I could and dropped mine in to the HR department last week.
    I was told to return them as soon as possible to be set up on payrol, so that's why I sent them back a little incomplete. I'm sure their will be many others in the same boat and I'm expecting mine back to fill in the blanks. :-)

Sup08 wrote: »
    They were a lot of documents with plenty to fill in.
    I filled in what I could and dropped mine in to the HR department last week.
    I was told to return them as soon as possible to be set up on payrol, so that's why I sent them back a little incomplete. I'm sure their will be many others in the same boat and I'm expecting mine back to fill in the blanks. :-)

I think I'll have to do that too, it was just all so baffling and with moving and being in the hospital last week I couldn't really decide what to do.

Thanks, and see you tomorrow I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CBGirl

Yes, I have been called for Thursday next, 29 Jan. I was placed between 10-20 in the first round. Only selected Donegal region.

Good luck on Thursday. I was placed in the 20s but already did the supervised tests for Dublin region so good to hear there is movement on Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭paddycakes

I'm in the same day. Already having palpitations!

I'm choking with a cough at the moment, only hoping it's gone/better by Thursday. Don't want to be hacking away while everyone is trying to do the tests.

paddycakes wrote: »
    I'm choking with a cough at the moment, only hoping it's gone/better by Thursday. Don't want to be hacking away while everyone is trying to do the tests.

If you see someone shooting daggers at you while you're hacking up a lung, it'll be me ;) Best of luck! It's nice they're finally making a move with our region.

If you see someone shooting daggers at you while you're hacking up a lung, it'll be me ;) Best of luck! It's nice they're finally making a move with our region.

It's great! I'd almost given up hope it's been so long since stage 1. Just need to get through stage 2, the interview and then we're sorted!! G'luck to you too!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 WhoIsTheCoon

Has anyone any idea how many were called from the cork region? (I'm in the 80's)

Has anyone any idea how many were called from the cork region? (I'm in the 80's)

50s here

• Registered Users Posts: 17 laura13579

anyone been called for stage 2 for the west?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 LauraK85

Hi guys, just wondering if there's a dress code for these aptitude tests. I have mine in Thursday and not sure if I should dress formally or not?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Angelina Ballerina

There is no dress code, wear whatever you are comfortable in.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eliza1

Has anyone heard anything about the second stage for Waterford/Wexford area yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 caegi

LauraK85 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering if there's a dress code for these aptitude tests. I have mine in Thursday and not sure if I should dress formally or not?

Thanks

I was just going to ask the same thing! Test on Thursday as well. We don't have to dress in interview clothes or anything then?

caegi wrote: »
    I was just going to ask the same thing! Test on Thursday as well. We don't have to dress in interview clothes or anything then?

I did my test in jeans and runners, with a cardigan over a top. Nothing fancy. It's just a test, not an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dawn8585

Does anybody know how the payscale works?

ie i worked in a county council for 15months in 2008/2009. Started off as 6months work experience from college and was then extended. Got an additional three 3month contracts. This was the time of the recruitment ban!

Does anyone know if this is accounted for if starting again in the public service?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Askabout

Did anyone do the stage 2 tests for irish language stream before Christmas?

Advertisement