Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

Just finished the test for limerick : tipp.
    Jesus the maths is just too hard. My heart could be heard sinking half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

dawn8585 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how the payscale works?

ie i worked in a county council for 15months in 2008/2009. Started off as 6months work experience from college and was then extended. Got an additional three 3month contracts. This was the time of the recruitment ban!

Does anyone know if this is accounted for if starting again in the public service?
    It wont automatically be accounted for when you're placed on your payscale. You will need to contact the HR in your new department and provide them with documents supplied by your previous employer verifying your service there. HR will then decide whether or not to grant you incremental credit and either bring your increment date forward or place you on an higher point on your scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Eliza1 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about the second stage for Waterford/Wexford area yet?

Nope, heard nothing yet! Don't think anyone has.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

LauraK85 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering if there's a dress code for these aptitude tests. I have mine in Thursday and not sure if I should dress formally or not?

Thanks

I would dress quite smartly, not interview standard but from smart-casual up? When I went for mine there were a few in suits, some really casual and everything in between. So smart but also comfortable as you'll be there a good 2 hours and more.
    dawn8585 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how the payscale works?

ie i worked in a county council for 15months in 2008/2009. Started off as 6months work experience from college and was then extended. Got an additional three 3month contracts. This was the time of the recruitment ban!

Does anyone know if this is accounted for if starting again in the public service?

I think it depends on department. As part of the additional documentation I've been asked to provide for the section I am going to was a sheet asking to outline previous payscale if I'd worked in the PS before. Definitely let them know though when the time comes.

How did all you new starters get on today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 piafe

Idrive wrote: »
    Jesus the maths is just too hard. My heart could be heard sinking half way through.

Try not to worry, I was convinced I'd failed the numerical section, 80% uneducated guessing and done quite well so all is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Idrive wrote: »

How did you find the verbal reasoning Idrive? I thought it was very hard. Overload of jargon to bambozal you. I didn't get it finished :-(

Is it the norm to not get finished lads? I was about 6 from the end in verbal and 4 from the end in numerical. Got all error checking done but on the whole this isn't good, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Curious here...

I haven't heard any new COs mention having to do a medical....was it mentioned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    How did you find the verbal reasoning Idrive? I thought it was very hard. Overload of jargon to bambozal you. I didn't get it finished :-(

Is it the norm to not get finished lads? I was about 6 from the end in verbal and 4 from the end in numerical. Got all error checking done but on the whole this isn't good, is it?

As far as I know, you're not expected to get them all done. The verbal reasoning was just ok. I know what you mean about the jargon, kinda puts you in a trace for a few minutes, like rabbits caught in the headlights :0)
    No amount of guess work will get me the required pass for maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 LauraK85

Sorry for all the questions! Anyone know if there's anywhere near abbey street where I can print off the invitation for stage 2? Just found out the printer at home is broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 shoobz

Sorry for all the questions! Anyone know if there's anywhere near abbey street where I can print off the invitation for stage 2? Just found out the printer at home is broken.

There's an internet cafe on Liffey St, just around the corner from PAS. That's where I printed mine.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Anyone get an offer in the last week? If so, can you let us know your number? Just trying to get an estimate on when I'll be called, I'm 478.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 piafe

I printed mine off in the jervis centre. Computers and printers are beside the toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carol_1985

Hi guys, where exactly is the PAS building. I've checked google maps and it's showing near jervis street shopping centre. When I go to street view there's no sign on any of the buildings for PAS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Carol_1985 wrote: »
    Hi guys, where exactly is the PAS building. I've checked google maps and it's showing near jervis street shopping centre. When I go to street view there's no sign on any of the buildings for PAS?

It's next to the Jervis Luas stop, the one on the opposite side of the street to the Jervis Centre.

I got word today that I got back into the passport office. I have over 2 years CO experience with 2 different departments. I got these jobs after competitive interviews. I wish PAS could just give me a permanent job!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Anyone get an offer in the last week? If so, can you let us know your number? Just trying to get an estimate on when I'll be called, I'm 478.

I did. I was 411

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭DuchessduJour

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    I did. I was 411

Did you get an actual job offer yet? :) I'm in the 440s and was contacted about references last week and was just wondering the timeline for expecting to hear something a bit more concrete! Congratulations by the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Did you get an actual job offer yet? :) I'm in the 440s and was contacted about references last week and was just wondering the timeline for expecting to hear something a bit more concrete! Congratulations by the way :D

Yep, they wanted me to start next Monday but I pushed it back a bit. Got the rreference check call on a Tuesday and the job offer the following Thursday. Hope that helps. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    Yep, they wanted me to start next Monday but I pushed it back a bit. Got the rreference check call on a Tuesday and the job offer the following Thursday. Hope that helps. Good luck :)

Anyone else in the office for the ombudsman?

Starting Monday. Is it office wear or smart casual? Haven't worked in about a year in a half!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keowny8

Did the tests yesterday.

Found the maths tricky & time consuming. I didn't have time to go over anything at the end.

The error checking wa the same format as on Public jobs. I struggle with it so I only just clicked the last answer as the time counted down. Its hard to say what you've missed etc....

I actually found the verbal alot easier than the public jobs sample test and the original online version. I got through it quick enough and had time to go back over.

Anyone I've spoken to said they found the maths tricky so don't be fretting over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭marylou82

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »

Hey,

Don't get disheartened because I was the same! The verbal was tough, numerical was awful but found checking OK.

I ended up passing, when I absolutely had written it off.

My error checking brought my score up too….

So I guess believe in yourself a bit. Bet you did better than you think! :)

Zipppy wrote: »
    Curious here...

I haven't heard any new COs mention having to do a medical....was it mentioned ?

Again I think this depends on the department requirements. It was mentioned in the emails I've had from pre-employment in my section but not sure yet if it's a definite requirement or a 'could be asked for one' type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I think when people from the Dublin region were being called it was initially the first 887 applicants who were invited to stage 2. For regions other than Dublin, are people being informed as to how may are being called for stage 2?

I heard 324 were called for Limerick/Tipp. I'm not sure where I heard or read this though.... I do know of someone who was 293 & got called up and someone who was 362 and didn't.....

Can anyone remember the timeframe for Dublin from Aptitude to results to interview to reference check...

We were told Monday that it would be March before we hear results... Just seems a long time for a computer based aptitude when the results should be instantaneous...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Teraman182

It was about three weeks to a month before hearing anything from stage 2 Dublin as far as I can re-call.

On another note, has anyone heard anything about Kildare or Laois?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Askabout

I got a message yesterday saying I passed stage 2 and was placed 37. After stage 1, I received 3 emails with 3 different placings for the different counties. U am wondering how am I supposed to interpret this email for my 2 regions and what are my chances of getting a job? Does it all depend on the interview now? Has anyone got any tips for the interview? Is it tough?

Askabout wrote: »
    I got a message yesterday saying I passed stage 2 and was placed 37. After stage 1, I received 3 emails with 3 different placings for the different counties. U am wondering how am I supposed to interpret this email for my 2 regions and what are my chances of getting a job? Does it all depend on the interview now? Has anyone got any tips for the interview? Is it tough?

You got placed 37 in Limerick/Tipp??? Had you applied for Dublin earlier ona dn done the aptitudes before Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Teraman182

Standard Interview, with the email about your interview will be attached what they are looking for when it comes to hiring people, think there is about 5 areas, the likes of Leadership, Team work etc, just make sure you have examples of all of these and you'll fly the interview.

If you pass the interview whatever score you get at stage 2 will be held across all areas you applied for.
    The interview doesn't increase or decrease your score but you can of course fail the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Any news about the Galway/Clare region? Have people been called, if so, how many?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I was called for references today, my number is 478. Just waiting for my referees to get back to the PAS. Ironically I accepted a job offer on Friday, but it's only a 3 month contract so the civil service job takes priority.

Advertisement