Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

keowny8 wrote: »
    Unsuccessful at interview??

Jesus I thought the interview was more or less a formality... Crap..

My brother got to interview stage at the same time I did but they declined to hire him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

donna35 wrote: »
    For everyone going to interview:

Prepare, prepare, prepare.Practice with a friend if possible. I read lots and lots of blogs about interviews for tips and I found some Youtube videos which were very helpful too.

There were 2 interviewers at mine and as far as I know with most interviews. Make eye contact, talk to each of them. They took turns in asking me questions, they had my completed application in front of them and parts of it were highlighted and they asked me about those parts. Then they took turns asking about the competencies. I had prepared examples of each so felt it went ok even though I was MASSIVELY nervous and luckily it did.

It really is ALL about the competencies, once you can show that you fulfil those and give examples of them from your employment past then it will be all good.

This is all really good advice.

If you have worked in customer service before think of good examples of where you went the extra mile and how you dealt with a difficult customer/situation, maybe even write them down so you'll easier recall them beforehand.

Try not to be nervous, the interviewers want you to pass, shouldn't be too adversarial.

Best of luck to anyone who has interviews coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    This is a bit judgemental, IMO. Who knows why people applied? Maybe they might have got a job since applying but are dissatisfied in it, maybe they'd take a CO position dependent on where it is, not everywhere might be convenient. In a competition this size, there's always going to be people a bit on the fence about the whole thing, and some of them will progress quicker in the process than people who want it more. That's life. Better for people to focus on their own application then resent others who might be doing better.

I'm not resenting anyone, I've done well in my own application. The post just came across that the poster did not want the job and I said if they don't then they should let PAS know. The poster then clarified afterwards that it will depend on them getting more info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dozymare

Have my interview next week. When u said tgey had ure application in front of them highlighted , do u mean the 3 copies u bring with u. The competencies are not asked on that form?? Is it just during interview they draw u out on them. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dozymare

Have my interview next week. When u said tgey had ure application in front of them highlighted , do u mean the 3 copies u bring with u. The competencies are not asked on that form?? Is it just during interview they draw u out on them. Thanks

• Advertisement

Dozymare wrote: »

Yes, sorry I should have clarified. The ones you bring with you on the day. Like they'd highlighted the fact I took the ECDL among other things (I can read upside down and glanced at the form at one stage when he was quoting from it). So they'll skim through that and highlight anything pertinent to ask you about. And after that they'll ask about each of the competencies which they email you about with that application form. Hope this helps x

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Dozymare wrote: »

The competencies are in your Familiarisation booklet that you would have also received in the invitation to interview. Also, try not to use txt-speak on boards.ie.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

I did the supervised in December and have the interview next week. After the test I'm in the late 600s. Is that rank inclusive of the first groups ranks or would that be a whole other group?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

Yes, sorry I should have clarified. The ones you bring with you on the day. Like they'd highlighted the fact I took the ECDL among other things (I can read upside down and glanced at the form at one stage when he was quoting from it). So they'll skim through that and highlight anything pertinent to ask you about. And after that they'll ask about each of the competencies which they email you about with that application form. Hope this helps x

Sorry, just playing catch up here - there's another application form to fill out that we have to bring to interview (if we get called)? Can I ask what kind of stuff is on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Got a Valentine's Day interview too. Ranked 622. Are you re-ranked after interview?

Don't think I'm going to go to interview, I don't have good referees. My last job ended really terribly. :( I have a job currently that I wasn't required to interview for, but the past referees are the ones of interest at the hiring stage. My job before the one that went bad was a UK government agency. My manager from there has retired, and trying to get through to any of my supervisors is met with the 'data protection' stonewall.

Please please go to the interview !! I would be 99.99% the references wont matter at all , its just to check you worked at abc at all , and wont be taken into account on whether you get the job or not.

I work in the civil service and have been on interview boards and have had interview training, so know a bit about process.

I'd suggest do the interview and that way you would have the option of turning down the job later if you wanted to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

This is all really good advice.

If you have worked in customer service before think of good examples of where you went the extra mile and how you dealt with a difficult customer/situation, maybe even write them down so you'll easier recall them beforehand.

Try not to be nervous, the interviewers want you to pass, shouldn't be too adversarial.

Best of luck to anyone who has interviews coming up.

100% agree with this.

Sorry, just playing catch up here - there's another application form to fill out that we have to bring to interview (if we get called)? Can I ask what kind of stuff is on that?

Just checked, I still have mine saved on the laptop. It's more or less like a CV. They want your education history including Leaving Cert and any further education, information about where you worked and your responsibilities there and there's a box to fill in where your experience there is relevant if so to the clerical job. And it asks for your referee information too.

I would also say - when you go for the interview they ask you to fill out the Garda vetting form which asks for every address you've ever lived in and the dates. If you've lived in quite a few, as I have, it might be a good idea to write these all out in advance on a piece of paper and bring with you to fill in. It took me AGES sitting there working out different addresses I'd lived at and when lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

Just checked, I still have mine saved on the laptop. It's more or less like a CV. They want your education history including Leaving Cert and any further education, information about where you worked and your responsibilities there and there's a box to fill in where your experience there is relevant if so to the clerical job. And it asks for your referee information too.

I would also say - when you go for the interview they ask you to fill out the Garda vetting form which asks for every address you've ever lived in and the dates. If you've lived in quite a few, as I have, it might be a good idea to write these all out in advance on a piece of paper and bring with you to fill in. It took me AGES sitting there working out different addresses I'd lived at and when lol.

Thanks for that. Had the problem with the Garda vetting form before alright - couldn't even fit them all on the page. I'd forgotten about it though so thanks for the reminder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

InReality wrote: »
    I'd suggest do the interview and that way you would have the option of turning down the job later if you wanted to do that.

If I pass the interview, that is. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

To anyone doing interviews preparation is everything. Know the competencies inside out and always relate back to them. I hahad very little office experience and mostly hospitality and I really didn't think I'd pass. But I related all my experience to the competencies and how my skills were transferable. If yoyouont understand something ask to repeat the question. Don't just ramble on. Be friendly. Make eye contact and talk as much as you can on the topic your on. Once of twice I stumbled and wasn't sure what they were asking so instead of rambled I either asked is that what they meant or asked for them to repeat. I passed my interview and just started a job last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

If I pass the interview, that is. :pac:

Well you can't win it if you're not in it :D
    Give it a try sure!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Peoplepoint is a disaster.

There's going to be complete logjam in a few weeks when the TCO's leave en masse with the new people not having enough experience to take over their roles.

Not a fun environment to be in. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Peoplepoint is a disaster.

There's going to be complete logjam in a few weeks when the TCO's leave en masse with the new people not having enough experience to take over their roles.

Not a fun environment to be in. :(

And the ire of the rest of the public sector raining down on ye every day...

Thats how it it going to be I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Most of us in the service call it people pointless. Totally inadequate service. Its not as if the whole service went to people point in one go.... it was phased in dept by dept. A lot of us work on the frontline and have to produce an excellent customer service... what we expect also is a good quality internal customer service. But that would be in our dreams.

• Advertisement

eastbono wrote: »
    Most of us in the service call it people pointless. Totally inadequate service. Its not as if the whole service went to people point in one go.... it was phased in dept by dept. A lot of us work on the frontline and have to produce an excellent customer service... what we expect also is a good quality internal customer service. But that would be in our dreams.

The staff seem to be doing their best but the workloads are just too high and will get a lot worse after Feb 20th.

Help, I'm scared. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

Hey has anyone any idea where exactly D'olier House is on D'olier Street? Im sure il be able to find it but just incase..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

If coming from O'Connell Street it's about half way up on the left as far as I know.

Danielle D wrote: »
    If coming from O'Connell Street it's about half way up on the left as far as I know.

Yeah i had a feeling it was around there thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

The staff seem to be doing their best but the workloads are just too high and will get a lot worse after Feb 20th.

Help, I'm scared. :(

You'll be grand. You can only do some much.

AshF22 wrote: »
    Hey has anyone any idea where exactly D'olier House is on D'olier Street? Im sure il be able to find it but just incase..

It's definitely on the bus stops side of the street anyway.

eastbono wrote: »
    You'll be grand. You can only do some much.

Permanent staff who have been in PP for a long time seem to be p*ssed off majorly with the set up and would love a transfer out.

It's definitely on the bus stops side of the street anyway.

Yeah i think I have a fair idea where it is now thanks a mill! I think my bus actually stops right outside it. Hopefully anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

You can see D'olier House on Google Streetview - boards wont allow me to post the link though

I'm starting there tomorrow as well - a little nervous, but mainly just excited to be starting work :)

Best of luck to everyone and thanks again to the folks who helped with advice & information on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 waster666

I'm starting in revenue tomorrow morning in d'olier house too. It's a half 9 start isn't it??

Advertisement