Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭DuchessduJour

I got an assignment letter today, just says that I'll be contacted shortly by my department for my start date. It also says that 'as a Garda Vetting report has not been recieved yet, the above recommendation is subject to nothing untoward coming to light as a result of security checking'. Is this normal? I don't have any reason to be worried, but I still am!

Not to worry, it's the same on all the letters :)

Got my start date today, really looking forward to it. Was going to be starting in two weeks but I have a trip planned that weekend so pushed it back to the start of March. I don't think many others, if anyone, will be starting with me so a bit nervous haha.

Hope everyone starting today got on well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I got an assignment letter today, just says that I'll be contacted shortly by my department for my start date. It also says that 'as a Garda Vetting report has not been recieved yet, the above recommendation is subject to nothing untoward coming to light as a result of security checking'. Is this normal? I don't have any reason to be worried, but I still am!

That just means have you been convicted of anything. If you can't remember being arrested and charged you're probably in luck. Or else on the right drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Junkyard Dog

Hey guys, just another quick random question to anyone already working as a CO. I have a few tattoos running down my arm. Now obviously I'll have them covered up for the interview but in general would they be a problem if I get the job? Thanks guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Hey guys, just another quick random question to anyone already working as a CO. I have a few tattoos running down my arm. Now obviously I'll have them covered up for the interview but in general would they be a problem if I get the job? Thanks guys.

No problem as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Starting in peoplepoint on Monday and I'm scared now. Thanks Black Menorca!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Carol_1985 wrote: »
    Hi guys, where exactly is the PAS building. I've checked google maps and it's showing near jervis street shopping centre. When I go to street view there's no sign on any of the buildings for PAS?

It's at the Luas stop across the street from the Jervis Centre.

What's the story with personal possessions like phones for the exam? Will they have to be left outside the exam centre or can you bring them in and have them turned off in your pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

What's the story with personal possessions like phones for the exam? Will they have to be left outside the exam centre or can you bring them in and have them turned off in your pocket?

Left outside in a locked room.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

In my test after we'd all sat down before starting they said to ensure no phones (switched on or off) were on your person. One guy had his in his pocket and they took it off him for the duration of the test.

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    Starting in peoplepoint on Monday and I'm scared now. Thanks Black Menorca!

All the best! You might have a totally different impression from me.

In fairness, I'm not snowed under myself. Its just the general feeling among the more experienced staff.

And even if things go badly for peoplepoint in the future, we might all get transfers into the city centre. :)

Left outside in a locked room.

Sorry to be annoying but is everyone released from the exam centre at the same time? Does everyone gets access to the locked room at the same time? I'm probably coming off really paranoid ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Sorry to be annoying but is everyone released from the exam centre at the same time? Does everyone gets access to the locked room at the same time? I'm probably coming off really paranoid ha

Yes, they all conspire to steal your stuff and hit you over the head. Yes, you're coming across as paranoid. It'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

No one leaves early. Everyone is "released" at the same time to scramble for their belongings in the newly unlocked room

Yes, they all conspire to steal your stuff and hit you over the head. Yes, you're coming across as paranoid. It'll be fine.
    Holysock wrote: »
    No one leaves early. Everyone is "released" at the same time to scramble for their belongings in the newly unlocked room

Thanks lads, I know it's a little OTT but I had some stuff taken at an exam in college a few years ago where we had to leave our stuff outside the exam hall. It's all grand now, I'll know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

I won't say exactly but it's part of the Department of Health in an area that I am actually very interested in.

Ah that's brilliant, delighted for you. All the best in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

:D:D:D

Not in the least, in my opinion - and I've been working in the civil service for 18 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I worked in a UK government agency a few years back with a lad who regularly wore gold lamé cycling shorts to work. And not just for the cycle to and from work. ALL DAY LONG! After seeing that, tattoos seem positively tame! :D

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I worked in a UK government agency a few years back with a lad who regularly wore gold lamé cycling shorts to work. And not just for the cycle to and from work. ALL DAY LONG! After seeing that, tattoos seem positively tame! :D

Now THAT is a real perk of the job...or something lol x

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Suit for interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

slaneylad wrote: »
    Suit for interview?

Absolutely! If you don't have one, certainly a shirt and tie anyway.

slaneylad wrote: »
    Suit for interview?

Yes most definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Junkyard Dog

Tarzana2 wrote: »

Ha, mental image I won't forget anytime soon :D. Thanks Tarzana

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Got the call to check references this week, I'm mid 500's. Hoping to get allocated soon, it's been such a long wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WilsonIRL

sickle wrote: »
    Got the call to check references this week, I'm mid 500's. Hoping to get allocated soon, it's been such a long wait!

Great news! How long has it been since your interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

WilsonIRL wrote: »
    Great news! How long has it been since your interview?
    Interview was mid October

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joanneo98

Can I just ask a stupid question - I received a letter on Monday saying I am being assigned to a position in the public appointments service - is this a broad term for all areas being recruited for- or is it the actual public appointments service-

Tia

Is your rank reassigned again after the interview (if you pass) or do you keep the one you got after stage two?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joanneo98

you get your rank after stage 2 and interview is just a pass or fail

Thanks!

joanneo98 wrote: »
    Can I just ask a stupid question - I received a letter on Monday saying I am being assigned to a position in the public appointments service - is this a broad term for all areas being recruited for- or is it the actual public appointments service-

Tia

No it sounds like you're going to be working in PAS itself in Abbey Street. Well done.

• Advertisement

donna35 wrote: »
    No it sounds like you're going to be working in PAS itself in Abbey Street. Well done.

Nice and central.

Advertisement