Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ciaran10

Sat the test today.. I was number 2000 for the Dublin region and in the top 200 for the Louth/Meath Monaghan/Cavan regions. Dont know if the test today was for Dublin or one of the other regions.. Error checking was the easiest I tought. Ran short of time on the maths so guessed the last few.. The question about the trees looked impossible considering I only had a minute left. Best of luck to everyone still waiting on results..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

globcar wrote: »
    They just sit at their desk.....and wait and wait and.....
    Yes, it's a very very long day.
    Maybe next week !!!!

Training is taking place now and work is being assigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stephalmcg

Mackmatic wrote: »
    570's I'm dublin here. Sweating for that phonecall. Whole process takes quite a bit of time..

I'm in the 570s too! Pulling my hair out at this stage, well over 2 months since last email :( . Worried that I'll miss a call when I'm at work. I think they're getting through them though! Hopefully we'll start soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Stephalmcg wrote: »
    I'm in the 570s too! Pulling my hair out at this stage, well over 2 months since last email :( . Worried that I'll miss a call when I'm at work. I think they're getting through them though! Hopefully we'll start soon :)
    They will leave a voicemail with name to call back if you don't answer, I'm in 550's and was called on Monday so it should be soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stephalmcg

sickle wrote: »
    They will leave a voicemail with name to call back if you don't answer, I'm in 550's and was called on Monday so it should be soon!

Thanks for that, good to hear! Did they give you your place or just to check if they could ring your references?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Stephalmcg wrote: »
    Thanks for that, good to hear! Did they give you your place or just to check if they could ring your references?
    Just to ask to contact references & if I was unemployed at the moment (they need a letter from welfare confirming it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JustJesting

Training is taking place now and work is being assigned.

There are many, many problems within PeoplePoint, and training is just one of them. This and all the other problems have, to my certain knowledge, been raised with every level of management up to at least Assistant Principal level. Some of them have been raised by the unions, such as the disgraceful situation last August where every HEO nominated their best friend to acting EO without any competition whatsoever. Those people in a position to act, have chosen not to act, but instead to put their energy into defending acts which in my view were indefensible. But don't mistake the inability of upper level managers to manage with a lack of ability or willingness on the part of the EOs and COs in PeoplePoint. In PeoplePoint at least, work does not magically appear on a CO's desk when she wishes for it. Nor does perfect knowledge of how to process a transaction leap into their consciousness without adequate (or any) training.

The good news is that you can stick it out for two years, then apply for a transfer. And they do pay you every week, which is quite nice. And most of the people who work there are actually completely sound. Including most of the EOs, who understand if people take long breaks when they have nothing to do. It's much better to be busy (and yes, the days can be very long), but like many situations, it is what you make of it. And if it does get written off as a bad idea, then everyone who is only there because they have no choice will get to go elsewhere.

It's worth pointing out that a lot of the experienced staff have been sacked, and can hardly be expected to be too enthused about helping train up the people who will be taking their still warm seats on Monday week while they're queuing in their local Social Welfare office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Got a letter today asking could I call my department to discuss my start date at my convenience.

Very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

So, I had to cancel my interview this morning (sudden family bereavement, heard early this morning). Except I couldn't. Rang PAS, nobody there. No other number I could call. So I had to just not show up. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

So, I had to cancel my interview this morning (sudden family bereavement, heard early this morning). Except I couldn't. Rang PAS, nobody there. No other number I could call. So I had to just not show up. Great stuff.

I'm sorry to hear that Tarzana, that sucks. I don't know if it will make any difference to them, because PAS don't seem to make exceptions for much, but maybe you could email them at info@publicjobs.ie just to get it on the record in the hope that maybe they could give you another opportunity at a later date.

Take care of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

eroc79 wrote: »
    Unless he's part of the irish stream which I know little about I'm sure that in the co competition you're ranked per region not nationally. I am ranked in the Cork region and went to stage 2 a couple weeks ago.

Can I ask roughly what number you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I'm sorry to hear that Tarzana, that sucks. I don't know if it will make any difference to them, because PAS don't seem to make exceptions for much, but maybe you could email them at info@publicjobs.ie just to get it on the record in the hope that maybe they could give you another opportunity at a later date.

Take care of yourself.

I second that. It's worth a try. Considering the very sad circumstances which Tarzana had no control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dozymare

Definite do the email. I am sure ghey will reschedule. I am here now . Interview shortly:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Yep, emailed that address. Sure we'll see.

It's more that I hate not cancelling stuff properly. I always cancel appointments I can't make instead of not showing up. Not really expecting to get another interview, but it's just a bit mad that you can only call there Mon-Fri, when you know there has to be people in the building on the weekend day you need to call there.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Yep, emailed that address. Sure we'll see.

It's more that I hate not cancelling stuff properly. I always cancel appointments I can't make instead of not showing up. Not really expecting to get another interview, but it's just a bit mad that you can only call there Mon-Fri, when you know there has to be people in the building on the weekend day you need to call there.

My fingers are crossed that they reschedule it for you. I'm the same when it comes to cancelling things, and it really is silly on a day of interviews that no-one is available to take your call about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

Jade182 wrote:
    My fingers are crossed that they reschedule it for you. I'm the same when it comes to cancelling things, and it really is silly on a day of interviews that no-one is available to take your call about this.

I second this, I hope a little human decency will come into play here. Not everything is black and white, they should allow for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sid Bear

Has anyone any idea as to the pass rate for the interviews?

I had mine today and think I made a bags of it. I practised the competencies but managed to end up like a deer in the headlights a couple of times. Good luck to all with the interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Unitedfandoc

Sid Bear wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea as to the pass rate for the interviews?

I had mine today and think I made a bags of it. I practised the competencies but managed to end up like a deer in the headlights a couple of times. Good luck to all with the interviews.

I don't know the pass rate but I did mine today as well. I had the 'deer in headlights' moments too so I wouldn't worry too much about it as I expect many others had the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Hopefully they will reschedule for you Tarzana, they seem really decent in PAS. My condolences for your loss xx

I don't know the pass rate but I did mine today as well. I had the 'deer in headlights' moments too so I wouldn't worry too much about it as I expect many others had the same problem.

Yeah maybe I got points for looking shiny and new :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 piafe

Also had my interview today.

I had two lovely people interviewing me which put me at ease. I found it tough though, I have a lot of experience in clerical type work but found it hard to express things in the way that I think that they'd be looking for if that makes sense!

Also interview only lasted about 20 minutes, so guessing I won't have done enough to get through.

Good luck everyone.

I had one really nice guy and a lady who honestly sat looking extremely unimpressed... as if I'd insulted her.. no lie. I was thinking it was some kind of tactic lol. Plus she kept looking at her watch. The guy seemed quite nice though.... I still figure I made a mess... but hey time will tell.

I had one really nice guy and a lady who honestly sat looking extremely unimpressed... as if I'd insulted her.. no lie. I was thinking it was some kind of tactic lol. Plus she kept looking at her watch. The guy seemed quite nice though.... I still figure I made a mess... but hey time will tell.

Good cop/Bad cop? Was getting close to lunch when I was in, maybe she was just hungry!

Yeah we've really no idea, the waiting is the hardest part now. I was told it'd be two weeks so another bad sign for me.

piafe wrote: »
    Good cop/Bad cop? Was getting close to lunch when I was in, maybe she was just hungry!

Yeah we've really no idea, the waiting is the hardest part now. I was told it'd be two weeks so another bad sign for me.

I was told early March. We haven't a clue really. We'll just have to wait.. I stopped short of pleading when they asked if there was anything else I'd like to add.. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

I was told early March. We haven't a clue really. We'll just have to wait.. I stopped short of pleading when they asked if there was anything else I'd like to add.. lol.

Are you guys all interviewing for Dublin or is there any other region at interview stage yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I only found this thread now. I had an interview today (Dublin). I was very happy with how it went. Does anyone know anything about jobs that are being offered? What is the salary? Is there room for negotiation at all?

Are you guys all interviewing for Dublin or is there any other region at interview stage yet?

I chose three regions and I think Dublin just seems to be where most of the jobs are being offered for starters.. The interviews are for all regions as far as I'm aware. The girl in PAS did say that a few were called from Kildare Wicklow for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

jiltloop wrote: »
    I only found this thread now. I had an interview today (Dublin). I was very happy with how it went. Does anyone know anything about jobs that are being offered? What is the salary? Is there room for negotiation at all?

You are put on a panel to be called as vacancies arise. And, no, there usually is no room for negotiation. You are put on a point in the scale. The scale has already been posted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

You are put on a panel to be called as vacancies arise. And, no, there usually is no room for negotiation. You are put on a point in the scale. The scale has already been posted in this thread.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if everybody is being introduced at the same point in the salary scale?

• Advertisement

jiltloop wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Do you know if everybody is being introduced at the same point in the salary scale?

Everyone will receive the same pay. Those in the airport have received a shift allowance which bumps up their pay a bit.

Advertisement