Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

piafe wrote: »
    Everyone will receive the same pay. Those in the airport have received a shift allowance which bumps up their pay a bit.

Thanks. Disappointing. I didn't see any mention of salary when I applied, that salary is far below what I could live on, will probably have to bow out. Good experience all the same I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Sid Bear wrote: »
    I had one really nice guy and a lady who honestly sat looking extremely unimpressed... as if I'd insulted her.. no lie. I was thinking it was some kind of tactic lol. Plus she kept looking at her watch. The guy seemed quite nice though.... I still figure I made a mess... but hey time will tell.

Sometimes I just despair! Perhaps there was a good cop/bad cop scenario going on - but no matter what:

1) Constantly looking at her watch was just plain rude. Not fit to be on the panel, in my humble opinion:p

2) I hate that someone like that gives a certain impression of public service workers. Awful

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sid Bear

Sometimes I just despair! Perhaps there was a good cop/bad cop scenario going on - but no matter what:

1) Constantly looking at her watch was just plain rude. Not fit to be on the panel, in my humble opinion:p

2) I hate that someone like that gives a certain impression of public service workers. Awful

If it was designed to throw me I guess it worked... as it definitely distracted me. If I do end up losing out for that reason it'll be unfortunate as I've over twenty years management / sales / customer service team experience... and all I kept thinking was .. this is so unprofessional of her. But I guess one thing I don't have enough experience with is interviews. Tis in the lap of the gods now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Sid Bear wrote: »
    If it was designed to throw me I guess it worked... as it definitely distracted me. If I do end up losing out for that reason it'll be unfortunate as I've over twenty years management / sales / customer service team experience... and all I kept thinking was .. this is so unprofessional of her. But I guess one thing I don't have enough experience with is interviews. Tis in the lap of the gods now.

The interviewers tried to throw me by doing their best to rile me. Luckily I realized what they were doing in time and just answered the questions without responding to the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

The interviewers tried to throw me by doing their best to rile me. Luckily I realized what they were doing in time and just answered the questions without responding to the attitude.

Woh, I didn't realise they did that kind of thing in public service interviews. Thanks for the heads up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Woh, I didn't realise they did that kind of thing in public service interviews. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh they do indeed. I dont know if it is intentional or if they are not trained properly but I have come across it in my last interview as did my colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 1 S_P_93

Hi guys, I had my interview on Saturday. I'm wondering how long it will take before they get back to me. I'm a nervous wreck lel

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dozymare

I was told 2 weeks approx. in due course after that when they are offering a job the dept you are going to contacts you. Cannot stress how important it is to give examples and be able to talk about them. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

Not all interviews are like that though. The two people who interviewed me were lovely, I never once felt they were trying to rile me or catch me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

Penguin100 wrote: »
    Not all interviews are like that though. The two people who interviewed me were lovely, I never once felt they were trying to rile me or catch me out.

I think the moral of the story is 'be ready for anything'! Again, assuming we make it through to the interviews (fingers crossed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

My interviewers weren't like that either, far from it. They were both very nice and polite. I think maybe a couple of people had bad experiences or the interviewers were having a bad day possibly but it's not the norm from what I've seen/heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mackmatic

My interviewers were perfectly pleasant. I didn't experience anything like some are saying here.

Got the call and I'm heading to peoplepoint. Anyone whose there now who can share some details? Dress code, parking, flex time? etc. Would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

piafe wrote: »
    Everyone will receive the same pay. Those in the airport have received a shift allowance which bumps up their pay a bit.

If you worked as a temporary clerical officer before 01/01/11 you will be on the pre 2011 pay scale which starts at about €444.00 the new pay scale post 2011 starts at €409.00. Very unfair two people could start on the same day as clerical officers, if both had previous temporary contracts and one had served as a tco before 2011 they will receive €40 more each week and will continue on this pay scale. If the other served as tco after 2011 they receive less, both doing the same job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Maggiesims wrote: »
    If you worked as a temporary clerical officer before 01/01/11 you will be on the pre 2011 pay scale which starts at about €444.00 the new pay scale post 2011 starts at €409.00. Very unfair two people could start on the same day as clerical officers, if both had previous temporary contracts and one had served as a tco before 2011 they will receive €40 more each week and will continue on this pay scale. If the other served as tco after 2011 they receive less, both doing the same job.

I'm working as a TCO at the moment and my department pretty much told me to get lost when I asked about this. I first worked in the civil service in 2006.

I'm working as a TCO at the moment and my department pretty much told me to get lost when I asked about this. I first worked in the civil service in 2006.

Go to the hr department and explain you have worked before as a tco in 2006 and you will be put on correct pay scale.

Maggiesims wrote: »
    Go to the hr department and explain you have worked before as a tco in 2006 and you will be put on correct pay scale.

I already did and got no joy. There seems to be confusion about this thing. I've heard some people say you can do while others say you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I worked as a TCO in 2008 and 2013.

As a result of working pre 2011 i was paid more than the other TCOs in 2013. I remember they weren't very happy about it.

I already did and got no joy. There seems to be confusion about this thing. I've heard some people say you can do while others say you can't.

I have worked with tcos last summer, some on old pay scale and some on new pay scale as they have worked previously as Tco pre 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

contact peoplepoint as they instruct the pay centre what salary to put you on. could due a nice bit of arrears

contact peoplepoint as they instruct the pay centre what salary to put you on. could due a nice bit of arrears

7 months arrears if I could get it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

If there's more than a 26 week gap between contracts, I think they can put you on the reduced rate but I'm not certain on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lizzy09

I'm sitting here prepping for my interview, which is on Wednesday morning (first day off in the last week so I'm only now filling out the forms :(), and really trying to get as ready as possible for it... getting a little nervous now!! I've been following this thread for awhile now but just wondering was there any other pointers for the interview, apart from having your competencies practiced and down to a T? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

For the people called recently for stage 2 tests, between what numbers were called?

I was 15** but reading the thread 2000 odd was called and i'm fairly sure i remember reading numbers ranked higher being called. Anyone know exactly or at least better estimate than mine?

I'm assuming also you can't overtake people already on the finalised panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I recently got paid 8 months arrears as I was on wrong rate. Persevere.

corny wrote: »
    For the people called recently for stage 2 tests, between what numbers were called?

I was 15** but reading the thread 2000 odd was called and i'm fairly sure i remember reading numbers ranked higher being called. Anyone know exactly or at least better estimate than mine?

I'm assuming also you can't overtake people already on the finalised panel?

I was 1809.
    Ilovelucy wrote: »
    I recently got paid 8 months arrears as I was on wrong rate. Persevere.

Did you contact your HR department or People Point?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 piafe

lizzy09 wrote: »
    I'm sitting here prepping for my interview, which is on Wednesday morning (first day off in the last week so I'm only now filling out the forms :(), and really trying to get as ready as possible for it... getting a little nervous now!! I've been following this thread for awhile now but just wondering was there any other pointers for the interview, apart from having your competencies practiced and down to a T? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated :)

Just be yourself and have examples of competencies ready. Try to practise sample questions with someone if you can. Things like, did you bring any ideas to a job u worked in and were they implemented,teamwork type questions, why you'd like to work there, difficult customers, issues with colleagues, were some sample questions I found online that might help..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

CPSU?
    They should assist...assuming you're a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I was 1809.

Did you contact your HR department or People Point?

HR - took a few weeks to sort but I kept following up on it and was finally paid last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WilsonIRL

I had my interview yesterday. I don't know how well it went. it didn't seem difficult or bad. I just answered all the questions they gave me. At the beginning, they made sure to explain the format of the interview and what'd they'd be looking for from me, in terms of how i answered their questions. They seemed very nice though.

Now i just need to wait for the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmerG28

WilsonIRL wrote: »
    I had my interview yesterday. I don't know how well it went. it didn't seem difficult or bad. I just answered all the questions they gave me. At the beginning, they made sure to explain the format of the interview and what'd they'd be looking for from me, in terms of how i answered their questions. They seemed very nice though.

Now i just need to wait for the results.

Same as, they were very nice in there I have to say. Did they give you any indication how long we would have to wait for news?

Advertisement