Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Done and dusted. I think some of the scenarios were the same ones I got in the TCO questionnaire.

Did it in about 20/25 mins with no rushing. No idea how anyone could spend 90 mins on it.

Aye 90 mins would be a bit mad. Best of luck with it:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aisinikins2121

First time entering any of the publicjobs competitions. They make it fairly awkward with these scenarios. Don't know what i'm at filling it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MommySquish

Wow. Just finished, if it even took 20 it would be alot. That last section was brutal though. Some of the questions were very..... ambiguous!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

Wow. Just finished, if it even took 20 it would be alot. That last section was brutal though. Some of the questions were very..... ambiguous!

That exactly.....I put the feedback through at the end that I thought the same thing, there were a few examples where 'closed' questions would have been better.....it's one thing getting a question wrong cause you don't know the answer, its another when you're not EXACTLY sure what you're being asked....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anybody had problems with accessing the sample aptitude tests on the link in the handbook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

I'm of the opinion that these tests are hogwash anyway. I wonder has there been any research done as to establish a link to actual job performance?

They'd be better served rolling some dice.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Haven't done mine yet, thinking I'll do it tomorrow afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Haven't done mine yet, thinking I'll do it tomorrow afternoon

Same here, gonna leave it till tomorrow as well, just started on an 8 week TCO contract this week so my head is wrecked lol

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

What time was yer window lads? Mind is for Monday-Thursday next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

yenom wrote: »
    What time was yer window lads? Mind is for Monday-Thursday next week.

Friday to Monday, doing it sometime today after work today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Done and dusted. Probably 30 minutes...I made sure to actually read the scenarios and think about them this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

What kind of questions do they ask you. In the boat where I signed up and just got an email saying your window is next week,but sure I have no idea..any tips would be appreciated thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭butterly.john

Hi all,
    I have applied for the civil service positions. I was wondering does any one know if you are successful in the next stages and are offered a particular department and you refuse it what happens. Are you gone or do you go back on a list and get another offering in your selected area if one comes up.
    Thanks

Milly33 wrote: »
    What kind of questions do they ask you. In the boat where I signed up and just got an email saying your window is next week,but sure I have no idea..any tips would be appreciated thanks

I did the questions last night, its hard to explain what they are like, as far as I could see in some of them there was no correct answer. It does not seem to be somthing that you can study for at this stage, I may be wrong but I think anyone who has worked in an office environment should have no problem with them.

I did the questions last night, its hard to explain what they are like, as far as I could see in some of them there was no correct answer. It does not seem to be somthing that you can study for at this stage, I may be wrong but I think anyone who has worked in an office environment should have no problem with them.

^ This. Basically, you're given a bunch of scenarios and four possible reactions to each. You have to rate the reactions from 1 to 4 in order of good, adequate, inadequate, incompetent. Some are obvious, some less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Done in less than 20, read them this time just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

are you supposed to do it as quick as you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Friday to Monday, doing it sometime today after work today

Thanks, was worried there may of been an error on mine.

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    are you supposed to do it as quick as you can?

Nope, just as well as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Great thank you both.. So just common sense questions really. Perfect should be flying have worked in admin for way too long.. thanks and best of luck to all doing the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Completed the questionnaire, any ideas on when the aptitude test link will be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Silver 1234

Hi, Where can I view the permanent clerical officer handbook?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dawn8585

did anybody else get a window between tues and fri?! iv only seen people mention fri-mon and mon-thurs! also im abroad next week so im presuming it will be ok to complete as its online it shouldnt matter?!

dawn8585 wrote: »
    did anybody else get a window between tues and fri?! iv only seen people mention fri-mon and mon-thurs! also im abroad next week so im presuming it will be ok to complete as its online it shouldnt matter?!

I think we are all getting the same questions, I'd say everyone just has different days because if we all logged on together the server might crash. If that is the case it shows there are big numbers applying for these jobs.
    You should be ok to complete it from anywhere in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Done and dusted. Pretty much exactly the same as the TCO one. I changed up my answers a bit but still reckon it's reserves for me, if that's even a thing in the CO competition. :) I'd love to get to the aptitude test stage as I always seem to do pretty well in them.

The one section I have a problem with is the "Do you do this better/worse than others?" section. What exactly are they getting at with that section? How should I know if I do something better than everyone else in the world? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Diddlina

Hi all,
    I have applied for the civil service positions. I was wondering does any one know if you are successful in the next stages and are offered a particular department and you refuse it what happens. Are you gone or do you go back on a list and get another offering in your selected area if one comes up.
    Thanks

Does anyone know the answer to this? I'd like to know this as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Normally- if you refuse a post- thats it, you're gone.
    You do not normally get added back into the list.
    You do not normally get to choose which department you'd like to work for.
    You do not normally get to choose which type of work you might be involved in- e.g. if you have a degree in accountancy- there is nothing to say you'll be offered a post where you can use these skills- though inevitably some aspects of it will be of use to you. Ditto- if you have a technical qualification- nothing to say you'll be offered a technical post.

If you are offered a Department and turn it down- normally, thats it- you've turned it down, and you're off the panel.

Posts when offered- would be subject to medicals and garda vetting- and offered on the basis of these being satisfactory (it could be months later before both are fully put to bed).

It is fair- and it applies equally to everyone- there aren't exceptions made- and representations of any nature will automatically disqualify a candidate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd just add- you may manage to get to your Department of choice and your location of choice- via job moves and transfers- once you're established. It may take a while- it took me 10 years and transfer via both internal and external competitions- to get close to home (and save me at least 3 hours a day in the car, often more).

You will presumably have ticked the boxes as to locations you're interested in? You're not offered positions in locations you haven't ticked. Someone who puts Dublin down- won't be offered a post in Clonakilty.........

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lauramarie13

Hi, did anyone get a text today telling you that you were moving on to the aptitude test stage, giving you a date for it, and asking you to reply something like "C23" to confirm? I thought it was a bit funny that they sent the text so soon and that they sent it at the weekend. I had been thinking that we wouldn't hear about that until everyone had done the first stage? Just wondering

• Advertisement

Hi, did anyone get a text today telling you that you were moving on to the aptitude test stage, giving you a date for it, and asking you to reply something like "C23" to confirm? I thought it was a bit funny that they sent the text so soon and that they sent it at the weekend. I had been thinking that we wouldn't hear about that until everyone had done the first stage? Just wondering

I didn't get a text but I had until tomorrow to complete so maybe mine won't be looked at until after that, should I be worried did many others get a text ?

Advertisement