Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Just preparing for interview next week and it says you can be asked question on your assesment questionnaire, I stupidly never kept a copy. Can anyone remember what questions were on this?

Lost your files eh?
    You'll fit right in.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

Lost your files eh? You'll fit right in.

Worse again didnt realise I needed it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 followmeup

Do all referees on the supplementary application form have to be former employers?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sid Bear

Just preparing for interview next week and it says you can be asked question on your assesment questionnaire, I stupidly never kept a copy. Can anyone remember what questions were on this?

Just have examples of all the competencies mentioned in the familiarisation material. I printed a few examples of each and brushed up on them before the interview. Also be prepared to talk about yourself. I know that sounds straightforward but I went a bit like a deer in the headlights when they asked me about "me". Communication skills... Working as part of a team.. Dealing with complaints and conflict... Meeting deadlines.... and Commitment. I think these were what I was asked about, to give examples etc. I also put a lot of time and effort into the supplementary application form... Made it very clear and easy to read. I'm not sure if this helped but I got through in the end.

Good luck with your interview.

Hope it helps.

followmeup wrote: »
    Do all referees on the supplementary application form have to be former employers?

I don't think so. At least two of the three I'd imagine. You could give a tutor as a reference which is what I did, along with two former employers.

• Advertisement

Sid Bear wrote:
    Good luck with your interview.

Sid Bear wrote:
    Hope it helps.

Thanks a million, that sounds like very good advice. Have never done such a structured interview before so its making me a bit nervous. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 piafe

followmeup wrote: »

Definitely not. I phoned about it and they said a lot of people had tutors down especially if never worked before. If you have them, try to put work related referees down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 followmeup

piafe wrote: »
    Definitely not. I phoned about it and they said a lot of people had tutors down especially if never worked before. If you have them, try to put work related referees down though.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

When exactly are references contacted? Do they need to be contacted in order to pass or are they only contacted when they are offering a position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

References are contacted before they make you an offer and they tend to contact you in advance if they are going to speak to your current employer. I got a call on a Thursday saying they were going to contact my employer for reference and they called them the next day at my request. Got a call offering me a position the following Wednesday. I don't think they contacted any of my other references but not 100% sure on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Jamesliverpool

Hi guys, Im filling out the application form at the moment. I went to university but had to leave early in my fourth year so never completed the course. Should I just not mention I went to college in the application? Or how would I fit it in under the third level section as I never got my degree? Anybody any ideas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tippmom

I am called for interview end of next week in Tipp/Limerick region. I'm just wondering if you will be notified of the job that you will be offered prior to them contacting your present employer. I would really need to know where the job was located prior to contact being made...If the job was in Limerick I wouldn't take it and I wouldn't like my present employer know that I was thinking of moving.....anyone any experience of this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 abbywell

Hi all, did anyone else need to re-format the Supplementary Form in order to print it off? Mine seems to be all over the place. Thanks

tippmom wrote:
    I am called for interview end of next week in Tipp/Limerick region. I'm just wondering if you will be notified of the job that you will be offered prior to them contacting your present employer. I would really need to know where the job was located prior to contact being made...If the job was in Limerick I wouldn't take it and I wouldn't like my present employer know that I was thinking of moving.....anyone any experience of this ?

No you will not be told what position you are being offered prior to them contacting your current employer. That was my experience with Dublin role anyway. May be different with other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

You went to a third level college. Of course you should mention it. The fact that you did not receive a degree doesn't negate your attendance at college. Good luck with the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Hi guys, Im filling out the application form at the moment. I went to university but had to leave early in my fourth year so never completed the course. Should I just not mention I went to college in the application? Or how would I fit it in under the third level section as I never got my degree? Anybody any ideas? Thanks

I did four years college too. Diploma after two years. Had to drop out in the fourth final degree year. You're damned right I'm including 4 years education. The fact that life got in the way of my sitting finals is a minor issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WC50

Hey guys, how long is the wait between being informed you passed at interview and being offered a job? I'm just wondering if I will finish college before being offered a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jamesliverpool

You went to a third level college. Of course you should mention it. The fact that you did not receive a degree doesn't negate your attendance at college. Good luck with the application.

Thanks for the reply! Have you completed the application? Where would you think I should put it? Under the third level section it looks for the award you got, because I dropped out I got none. So not sure if I should put it here?

WC50 wrote:
    Hey guys, how long is the wait between being informed you passed at interview and being offered a job? I'm just wondering if I will finish college before being offered a position.

I found out I passed interview the Oct bank holiday weekend and got call to check references on 9th Jan. Then got job offer on the 14th Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kerry987

Does anyone know what the correct pay is for a TCO who worked in the civil service in 2010 prior to pay scale changes in 2011. I'm currently working as a TCO for the last year and on 409 per week before tax and just wondering if it's correct due to some TCO's being told they were on the incorrect rate recently. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Has anyone any rough idea as to the monthly take home pay for single person starting off as a CO?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dragonflyblue

Hi there,
    I have just received notification of an interview in the coming week and am about to complete the supplementary application form. Just a quick question to all you who have already filled this out. The part where it states to outline experience in this position relevant to the role - what did ye put here? Just wondering if ye put a couple of specific examples which tie in with the competencies or what. I was just thinking that if I were not going to use specific examples then what I have here would just basically be repetition of the main responsibilities and achievements section (which is basically what's on my cv). Like should I put here a couple of examples that meet the criteria that I want to bring up at the interview (so by putting them there I'll be asked on them) or should I just be quite vague so I can be drawn out and asked about these at interview???? Just wondering what others have done/are doing here. Thanks in advance.

Also, one more question please! Are your supplementary application forms long? Mine will be quite long once finished I think....

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keowny8

Hi there,
    I have just received notification of an interview in the coming week

Did you only just receive this today? Do you mind telling us what position you were in on panel. 130's/140's etc...

Also, one more question please! Are your supplementary application forms long? Mine will be quite long once finished I think....

I was in the same boat, felt like I was going to be repeating myself. I brought in the competencies into the second section to avoid repetition. My form is 6 pages long, have only had 5 jobs though. Best of luck.

keowny8 wrote: »
    Did you only just receive this today? Do you mind telling us what position you were in on panel. 130's/140's etc...

No on Friday but I was away and only arrived back this morning so only saw it then. I'm in the 70s

I was in the same boat, felt like I was going to be repeating myself. I brought in the competencies into the second section to avoid repetition. My form is 6 pages long, have only had 5 jobs though. Best of luck.

Thanks for that. So did you give specific examples or just mention the competencies? Sorry again for all the questions? Just out of work for a long time and really want to get this job...

Thanks for that. So did you give specific examples or just mention the competencies? Sorry again for all the questions? Just out of work for a long time and really want to get this job...

I just mentioned the competencies, no point having too much detail and nothing to talk about in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

No on Friday but I was away and only arrived back this morning so only saw it then. I'm in the 70s

Congratulations! Which region is this for, if you don't mind me asking?

Jade182 wrote: »
    Congratulations! Which region is this for, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you! Limerick/Tipperary region. Wonder if all the jobs are for Limerick or if there will be some for Tipperary too????

• Advertisement

Sid Bear wrote:
    Has anyone any rough idea as to the monthly take home pay for single person starting off as a CO?

Salary is €409 p/week before tax etc starting off as CO. Still on emergency tax so don't know exact take home figure sorry

Advertisement