Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dragonflyblue

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Took myself out of the competition today formally. My interview was to be rescheduled and I just decided to not go forward. I realised I'm not in an interview mindset at the moment. I couldn't motivate myself. I'm in a job, I want to stay it for a while and be settled, the money is about the same, and being a clerical officer was something I couldn't get excited about.

If I had been able to go to the initial interview and had passed, I'd likely be placed by now as I was low 600s. But it wasn't to be. Hey, it's one more spot freed up in Dublin. (assuming I would have passed the interview, I guess!)

Sorry to hear that Tarzana but wishing you the very best for the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bagel2010

Hi here looking at the letter we have re interview and the 4 competencies on it. If anyone who has been at interview could give me an idea on how the interviewers approach asking questions on the competencies I would be extremely grateful. Do they just straight out like eg " tell me about your skills in delivery of results including managing and processing information". Also how many examples of each competency should you have. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Thanks everyone, my dropping out of the running isn't a bad thing at all though, it's more coming from a place of being fairly content and just not currently being in the mindset to do the job interview treadmill. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fizzgig Fozzywig

bagel2010 wrote: »
    Hi here looking at the letter we have re interview and the 4 competencies on it. If anyone who has been at interview could give me an idea on how the interviewers approach asking questions on the competencies I would be extremely grateful. Do they just straight out like eg " tell me about your skills in delivery of results including managing and processing information". Also how many examples of each competency should you have. Thanks

Hey bagel2010. I'm a new user so I can't post links, but University of Limerick have a paper online called Behavioural Competency Based Interview Question Bank. This is what I used to prepare; it gives excellent examples of the types of questions they ask. I passed in Dublin. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

Can anyone who has started let me know what the exact hours are per week and the core hours for flexi time.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hey bagel2010. I'm a new user so I can't post links, but University of Limerick have a paper online called Behavioural Competency Based Interview Question Bank. This is what I used to prepare; it gives excellent examples of the types of questions they ask. I passed in Dublin. Good luck!

Thank you very much for that fizzgig fozzywig i will have a look at that, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Penguin100 wrote: »
    Can anyone who has started let me know what the exact hours are per week and the core hours for flexi time.

Thanks

7:24 per day plus min 30mins lunch.

You can start between 8-10 and finish between 4-7. You can go home early but you must balance your hours every 4 weeks.

For example, if you do 9-4 one day, you must do something like 9-6 before the 4 weeks period ends. If you do 7:24 extra in 4 weeks then you can take a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

yenom wrote: »
    7:24 per day plus min 30mins lunch.

You can start between 8-10 and finish between 4-7. You can go home early but you must balance your hours every 4 weeks.

For example, if you do 9-4 one day, you must do something like 9-6 before the 4 weeks period ends. If you do 7:24 extra in 4 weeks then you can take a day off.

Thank you:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 LauraK85

Anyone know how long after your interview are you informed if you've passed or failed? Also do they send you a message on public jobs to notify you?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmerG28

LauraK85 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long after your interview are you informed if you've passed or failed? Also do they send you a message on public jobs to notify you?

I was waiting just under 2 weeks and yup it was a message on public jobs. They sent an e mail to say there was a message for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Anyone else received calls for references or placement information since their interview? Keeping a hawk eye on any progress towards my number :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

Did interview today. Don't know how I did but the interviewers were really nice and tried to explain beforehand the structure of the meeting to help put me at ease. Only time will tell now.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmerG28

Jade182 wrote: »
    Anyone else received calls for references or placement information since their interview? Keeping a hawk eye on any progress towards my number :pac:

Last I heard was the early 600s were called at the beginning of last week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lambeau_leap

DaisysB wrote: »
    Anyone else get Stage 2 results in Kerry yesterday, or know anything about it?
    I got placed in the 30's, hope it will progress to interviews :)

Got a result for Kerry yesterday also. Was surprised as I though I'd get a result for Cork first. Moved up a few places anyway so hopefully the same will be true for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

eroc79 wrote:
    Did interview today. Don't know how I did but the interviewers were really nice and tried to explain beforehand the structure of the meeting to help put me at ease. Only time will tell now.

Thanks for the feedback. Without asking for too much detail, do the focus more on the form or the competencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

Hi, just wondering about the interview and the 3rd copy of the application form. Do we get to look at this ourselves during the interview?

Thanks for the feedback. Without asking for too much detail, do the focus more on the form or the competencies?

They looked through the form and mentioned a few things but the main body of questions were the competencies. 2 interviewers took turns asking about 2 areas each.

The third copy of the form you fill in will be kept by you to reference if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WilsonIRL

I know it's probably going to be an age until i even get the call about references seeing as i got the notification that i passed the interview just last week and i'm in the high 700s but, for any of you who have been offered a placement, did anyone have to give 4 weeks notice and was it allowed by the PAS or do they expect you to give 2 weeks notice?

My contract says i have to give 4 weeks notice when leaving the job. I have two weeks holidays left so i was thinking i could use those to get out by two weeks but it'd be probably easier to give the four weeks and stay in good relations with my current employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

DaisysB wrote: »
    Anyone else get Stage 2 results in Kerry yesterday, or know anything about it?
    I got placed in the 30's, hope it will progress to interviews :)

Oh well done Daisy B but now I'm devastated - I did exam on Jan 29th and had Kerry and Cork on my list but didn't hear yesterday - looks like I didn't make it. Very, very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

denmar wrote: »
    Oh well done Daisy B but now I'm devastated - I did exam on Jan 29th and had Kerry and Cork on my list but didn't hear yesterday - looks like I didn't make it. Very, very disappointed.

29th results aren't out yet, you're still in the game.

• Advertisement

eroc79 wrote: »
    They looked through the form and mentioned a few things but the main body of questions were the competencies. 2 interviewers took turns asking about 2 areas each.

The third copy of the form you fill in will be kept by you to reference if need be.

Hi eroc79 thanks very much for that info. Did the interview last long?
    Do they pick a job you had and ask you about the competencies you displayed in it or do they ask about a competency and you pick a job you had and you explain the compentencies you used there.
    It just a lot of my jobs were a long time ago had a job recently where i have loads of examples to use but dont know if it ok to talk about one position.
    Sorry for all the questions stressing a bit here at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

eroc79 wrote:

Thanks for that, had the interview this morning. Same layout as you. Guess only time will tell now.

Hi eroc79 thanks very much for that info. Did the interview last long?
    Do they pick a job you had and ask you about the competencies you displayed in it or do they ask about a competency and you pick a job you had and you explain the compentencies you used there.
    It just a lot of my jobs were a long time ago had a job recently where i have loads of examples to use but dont know if it ok to talk about one position.
    Sorry for all the questions stressing a bit here at the moment

I also haven't been in full time work for a long long time. Some of my competency answers came from recent volunteer work
    One of the interviewers kept asking me questions in relation to one particular thing I've done when i'd prepared better examples using a different job. It did throw me slightly but at the end of the interview when they asked if I had anything else I'd like to add, I referenced the question they had asked earlier and gave a better example.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keowny8

I had interview this morning...

2 interviewers. they took 2 competencies each.

Asked for examples of each and then asked a few questions for clarification.

I can't stress enough how much you need to have examples of each.

Lasted about 25 mins. 1 person from Revenue Commissioners & 1 from Public appointments.

They were very nice and made me feel at ease.

You have a copy of your form for reference if needed.

keowny8 wrote: »
    I had interview this morning...

2 interviewers. they took 2 competencies each.

Asked for examples of each and then asked a few questions for clarification.

I can't stress enough how much you need to have examples of each.

Lasted about 25 mins. 1 person from Revenue Commissioners & 1 from Public appointments.

They were very nice and made me feel at ease.

You have a copy of your form for reference if needed.

So sorry for all the questions but i just cant get my head round the way thy are going to ask the questions do they say for example tell me about your delivery of results including managing and processing information (that being the first competency listed) or do they ask it a way that is easier to answer not so broad if you know what i mean. my brain is gone to mush at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keowny8

In my interview I was asked -

'Give me an example of when you delivered good results'

'Give me an example of when your were part of a team & contributed to teamwork'

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

So sorry for all the questions but i just cant get my head round the way thy are going to ask the questions do they say for example tell me about your delivery of results including managing and processing information (that being the first competency listed) or do they ask it a way that is easier to answer not so broad if you know what i mean. my brain is gone to mush at this stage

A lot of us who had never done this style of interview went in blind as well, that's why the posters here emphasise having competencies prepared; so no matter what way they phrase the question, you'll be able to answer them.

Some posters seem to have gotten direct questions, my own was more like a natural conversation (but then I might have just felt that way because I was so prepared).

Try not to over-think it. Just read the preparatory information you got in your interview invitation, prepare your answers and, like the letter says; try to relax. :)

Jade182 wrote: »
    A lot of us who had never done this style of interview went in blind as well, that's why the posters here emphasise having competencies prepared; so no matter what way they phrase the question, you'll be able to answer them.

Some posters seem to have gotten direct questions, my own was more like a natural conversation (but then I might have just felt that way because I was so prepared).

Try not to over-think it. Just read the preparatory information you got in your interview invitation, prepare your answers and, like the letter says; try to relax. :)

thanks for all the support everyone just think ill relax now i am definitely overthinking it

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hemijonson

Hey everyone, just want to apologise in advance in case this has been asked already but I went for my interview yesterday and was wondering how soon should I know if I was successful or not? I was told yesterday that I should have a message by the end of the month but just wondering has anyone got an answer quicker. tia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Burton

Hey all passed my interview and was placed in the low 700s. I believe the most recent post of someone get a position was low 600s.

I'll post here when in called for references and position so people get a bit of a reference point.

Good luck to everyone still doing interview and such. Have a look at the form they send out and have a plenty of detailed work related examples if possible.

Oh and to the person wondering how long it took to hear back about interview I heard back in 6 days but was told end of the month. Though the next day was the last day of the month. So not sure if that helps

Advertisement