Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Had my interview today and I cannot express how badly it went. I made a terrible error in my application and it really threw me off. There was more than one question I had no answer for as it hasn't been relevant in my working life. All i could say was i hadn't experienced that situation. So disappointed. All my employment history would really contribute to this role. Cant believe i fell at final hurdle. Devastated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

hemijonson wrote:
    Hey everyone, just want to apologise in advance in case this has been asked already but I went for my interview yesterday and was wondering how soon should I know if I was successful or not? I was told yesterday that I should have a message by the end of the month but just wondering has anyone got an answer quicker. tia

I had my interview mid Oct and found out I was going forward Oct bank holiday weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

Sinead Mc1 wrote:
    Had my interview today and I cannot express how badly it went. I made a terrible error in my application and it really threw me off. There was more than one question I had no answer for as it hasn't been relevant in my working life. All i could say was i hadn't experienced that situation. So disappointed. All my employment history would really contribute to this role. Cant believe i fell at final hurdle. Devastated.

Really sorry to hear that. Not sure what questions they gave that you had no answer for. All my questions were basically give examples for each competency. Maybe it wasnt as bad as you thought, these things always seem worse with too much overthinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

WilsonIRL wrote:
    My contract says i have to give 4 weeks notice when leaving the job. I have two weeks holidays left so i was thinking i could use those to get out by two weeks but it'd be probably easier to give the four weeks and stay in good relations with my current employers.

WilsonIRL wrote:
    I know it's probably going to be an age until i even get the call about references seeing as i got the notification that i passed the interview just last week and i'm in the high 700s but, for any of you who have been offered a placement, did anyone have to give 4 weeks notice and was it allowed by the PAS or do they expect you to give 2 weeks notice?

I also had to give 4 weeks notice but the training for the role I was offered was starting 3 weeks from when I got the call. And I would have missed too much joining a week later than the rest of the group. Luckily my previous employer was accommodating and allowed me to finish up in time. I'm sure either your department or current employer will allow some flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Really sorry to hear that. Not sure what questions they gave that you had no answer for. All my questions were basically give examples for each competency. Maybe it wasnt as bad as you thought, these things always seem worse with too much overthinking.

They asked how I take care with emails???
    And they asked how do u know your doing a good job?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Flappy Burd

I was asked to travel up to Dublin for the second series of tests but I couldn't make it as I'm very bust with college at the moment.

However I just got an email saying that they want me to be interviewed?

Surely this is a mistake as I didn't do the "live" tests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Flappy Burd

I was asked to travel up to Dublin for the second series of tests but I couldn't make it as I'm very busy with college at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I was asked to travel up to Dublin for the second series of tests but I couldn't make it as I'm very busy with college at the moment.

Maybe give them a ring and query it? That seems a bit unusual but maybe the interview invite was part of an automatic batch. Better to confirm rather than wasting your time heading in for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sid Bear

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »

Hey am sorry to hear that but keep your chin up. If you check my earlier posts you'll see that I was sure I'd made a total mess of my interview... I had a - rabbit in the headlights - moment and there were questions that I felt I hadn't answered properly. When I left I just chalked it down to experience... and then I got an e-mail two weeks later to say that I'd passed so try and stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭paddycakes

Another day and still no word.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 dublin20156

paddycakes wrote: »
    Another day and still no word.......

Hi. What number are you? I'm in the early 700s. Praying for a call😢

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭paddycakes

In the 50s in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmerG28

When did you get the word you passed your interview? Late 700s here. Found out last Friday

EmerG28 wrote: »
    When did you get the word you passed your interview? Late 700s here. Found out last Friday

Hi. I did the interview on 14/2 and got results 27/2. I wonder how many have got a job. The last I heard was early 600s

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

paddycakes wrote: »
    In the 50s in Cork.

Have the results for stage 2 Cork come out?

Has anyone any idea what's the highest number that has been placed in Dublin ? Just wondering have I any chance of getting a job. Early 700's here!

Hi. I did the interview on 14/2 and got results 27/2. I wonder how many have got a job. The last I heard was early 600s
    Has anyone any idea what's the highest number that has been placed in Dublin ? Just wondering have I any chance of getting a job. Early 700's here!

I rang them last week and they said it was late 500's. There are some posting here from the early 600's now, but there is no sign of it moving upwards just yet. We all will just have to play the waiting game with fingers crossed!

Jade182 wrote: »
    I rang them last week and they said it was late 500's. There are some posting here from the early 600's now, but there is no sign of it moving upwards just yet. We all will just have to play the waiting game with fingers crossed!

Yeah I rang them a couple of times and got the same answer. Do you think they will get as for as the 700s or are things starting to slow down?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmerG28

Yeah the last I heard was 600s as well. Could be a long wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I have managed to get myself somewhere on the website with a sample test. Say I take the sample test and perform well in it, how to I then go and convey an interest in taking the real stage 1 online test. I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

I have managed to get myself somewhere on the website with a sample test. Say I take the sample test and perform well in it, how to I then go and convey an interest in taking the real stage 1 online test. I

We applied for these jobs last June. They have announced another TCO campaign if thats any good to you.

Register with public jobs.ie. as another poster said, they're advertising for temporary clerical officers now.

Yeah I rang them a couple of times and got the same answer. Do you think they will get as for as the 700s or are things starting to slow down?

No idea. I don't think even PAS can tell us because it seems to all depend on departments deciding they need more staff. We are on a panel for recruitment but there's no guarantee we'll be taken on so it's just a blind waiting game.

I'm not holding my breath for now, looking for other jobs in the meantime, though I'd be absolutely ecstatic if I was placed.

Jade182 wrote: »
    No idea. I don't think even PAS can tell us because it seems to all depend on departments deciding they need more staff. We are on a panel for recruitment but there's no guarantee we'll be taken on so it's just a blind waiting game.

I'm not holding my breath for now, looking for other jobs in the meantime, though I'd be absolutely ecstatic if I was placed.

Wrong answer, jade. You were meant to say "of course we'll get jobs. It's just a matter of time!!!" I want this job sooooo badly I just can't stand the not knowing😢

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

eroc79 wrote: »
    Register with public jobs.ie. as another poster said, they're advertising for temporary clerical officers now.

I have registered a few days ago. When I hear people are only now been assessed when they applied June of last year. It doesn't instill a lot of hope.
    I take it that these were all temporary jobs. Is the reality that if I get anything, it will be month away before I start.

I have registered a few days ago. When I hear people are only now been assessed when they applied June of last year. It doesn't instill a lot of hope.
    I take it that these were all temporary jobs. Is the reality that if I get anything, it will be month away before I start.

Most likely and also depends what region you're in. Some regions have more positions to fill than others

The jobs that we are currently in the running for are permanent, but the recruitment process for this is not open anymore.

The only one available to apply for now is the temporary one, and most of the those positions seem to be for the summer time...at least the documentation for them say you need to be available during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lizzy09

Wrong answer, jade. You were meant to say "of course we'll get jobs. It's just a matter of time!!!" I want this job sooooo badly I just can't stand the not knowing😢

I feel the same, want this really badly!! I was speaking to a friend of mine (she's working as an AO) yesterday about how recruitment might slow down or even possibly stop now with so many already having been recruited and she said that there seems to still be a huge demand for recruitment (from what shes been hearing) and that she couldn't see how alot more people off the panel wouldn't be called forward... I'm really hoping shes right as I'm in the early 800s!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sid Bear

You'll be on the panel for over a year.. maybe 18 months, so you are indeed likely to get offered a job and more likely in the next couple of months. Back in late January when I got the results of my supervised tests they told me they were assigning candidates numbered 300 - 400 and six weeks on I think it's in the 500s. I'm late 600s and am hoping to get an offer in around 2 - 3 months though it could be sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hemijonson

This is probably a really silly question but does your position change based on your interview? I'm number 30 in Limerick/Tipperary but that was based on the supervised tests. Done interview on Wednesday

Advertisement