Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

hemijonson wrote: »
    This is probably a really silly question but does your position change based on your interview? I'm number 30 in Limerick/Tipperary but that was based on the supervised tests. Done interview on Wednesday

Only if people ahead of you fail the interview. Otherwise you stay where you are

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lizzy09

This is probably a really silly question but does your position change based on your interview? I'm number 30 in Limerick/Tipperary but that was based on the supervised tests. Done interview on Wednesday

No you retain your place from stage 2 and if you pass the interview you will still retain your number, although the other 29 on the panel in front of you may not have gone through :)

No you retain your place from stage 2 and if you pass the interview you will still retain your number, although the other 29 on the panel in front of you may not have all gone through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Wrong answer, jade. You were meant to say "of course we'll get jobs. It's just a matter of time!!!" I want this job sooooo badly I just can't stand the not knowing😢

Oh how I wish I could say that. But like you, I can't stand the waiting. So I have to busy myself with other things just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublin20156

lizzy09 wrote: »
    I feel the same, want this really badly!! I was speaking to a friend of mine (she's working as an AO) yesterday about how recruitment might slow down or even possibly stop now with so many already having been recruited and she said that there seems to still be a huge demand for recruitment (from what shes been hearing) and that she couldn't see how alot more people off the panel wouldn't be called forward... I'm really hoping shes right as I'm in the early 800s!!! :)

Hi Liz. I hope your friend is right. Maybe you could let me know if she hear's what kind of numbers are being called or anything positive at all. I'm a nervous wreck. Can't think of anything else. Hard to believe people are complaining about where they have been posted😢!

• Advertisement

Hi Liz. I hope your friend is right. Maybe you could let me know if she hear's what kind of numbers are being called or anything positive at all. I'm a nervous wreck. Can't think of anything else. Hard to believe people are complaining about where they have been posted😢!

Of course if I hear anything I'll put it up here. I'll take almost anything at this stage lol (that sounds way worst than it is, I just mean I'd really love to get the waiting out of the way and just know where I stand) :D Make sure to let us know if you hear anything aswel!!

Will do, liz

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

Just checking if anyone who did stage 2 on Jan 29th. has heard yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

denmar wrote: »
    Just checking if anyone who did stage 2 on Jan 29th. has heard yet ?

Nope, nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

Good, hope for me yet so:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

There should still be loads more jobs coming up, keep faith everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Are the panels for CO one or two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bryan_w

For anyone wondering or worried about recruitment slowing down, Revenue are currently training approx 60 CO's. This will finish in the summer and I heard they hope to take another group in then.

For anyone wondering about take home pay, mine is about 370/week which is fine for me coming from college. This will increase with increments etc. I would urge anyone not considering taking a position because of pay to think about the long term and the opportunities that will become available over the next few years. They have also invested heavily in the training of CO's.

bryan_w wrote: »
    For anyone wondering or worried about recruitment slowing down, Revenue are currently training approx 60 CO's. This will finish in the summer and I heard they hope to take another group in then.

For anyone wondering about take home pay, mine is about 370/week which is fine for me coming from college. This will increase with increments etc. I would urge anyone not considering taking a position because of pay to think about the long term and the opportunities that will become available over the next few years. They have also invested heavily in the training of CO's.

Thanks for that Bryan. I would be coming from the country. I've been checking out rent in Dublin. Very expensive but I ll just have to manage. I'm looking at the big picture too. I graduated last November and have just been getting part time work since. I would love to be called. There's a lot to be said for a permenant job these days. Early 700s btw!

Thanks for that Bryan. I would be coming from the country. I've been checking out rent in Dublin. Very expensive but I ll just have to manage. I'm looking at the big picture too. I graduated last November and have just been getting part time work since. I would love to be called. There's a lot to be said for a permenant job these days. Early 700s btw!

Rent is very expensive, but if your willing to rent a room or know people to share with then (presuming your single/no kids etc) you should have enough to live comfortably enough and maybe save a bit. Also maybe look at places like Maynooth for cheaper rent, it is a 20 minute train on intercity or 40 mins on commuter. Considering it can take an hour for me to get from Rathfarnham 20/40 mins is fine. You can get the tax saver travel then and it will come out of your gross salary each week meaning you will pay less tax. It all depends on where your department is.

Anyone with kids/spouse etc the civil service seems to be a very family friendly workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

sillysocks wrote: »
    Are the panels for CO one or two years?

This and when was the panel officially established? Was it from June when they advertised?

Rent is very expensive, but if your willing to rent a room or know people to share with then (presuming your single/no kids etc) you should have enough to live comfortably enough and maybe save a bit. Also maybe look at places like Maynooth for cheaper rent, it is a 20 minute train on intercity or 40 mins on commuter. Considering it can take an hour for me to get from Rathfarnham 20/40 mins is fine. You can get the tax saver travel then and it will come out of your gross salary each week meaning you will pay less tax. It all depends on where your department is.

Anyone with kids/spouse etc the civil service seems to be a very family friendly workplace.
    Peoplepoint seems to be where lot are going from what I be heard. Clonskeagh seems to be exspensive for rent but I ll just have to manage. I think I'm getting ahead of myself! I just want to get in to the service and get on with the rest of my life. This is a great place to talk to people who know what you're going through. Hang in there everyone!!

Peoplepoint seems to be where lot are going from what I be heard. Clonskeagh seems to be exspensive for rent but I ll just have to manage. I think I'm getting ahead of myself! I just want to get in to the service and get on with the rest of my life. This is a great place to talk to people who know what you're going through. Hang in there everyone!!

Clonskeagh is expensive and the transport links are not great. I wouldn't think you are getting ahead of yourself, it came around very quick for me. I expect the panel to go past the 1000 mark, just my opinion, but there has been no recruitment for 7/8 years in the civil service and it is an ageing organisation. With retirements, promotions etc every department needs CO's, it is also recruitment for the public service which is a huge area.

Clonskeagh is expensive and the transport links are not great. I wouldn't think you are getting ahead of yourself, it came around very quick for me. I expect the panel to go past the 1000 mark, just my opinion, but there has been no recruitment for 7/8 years in the civil service and it is an ageing organisation. With retirements, promotions etc every department needs CO's, it is also recruitment for the public service which is a huge area.

Thanks for the support, Bryan. Keep in touch if you hear anything on the ground. I take it you're in revenue? I worked there as a TCO during the summer a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

Hi guys, would love some advice from anyone who has gone through the competency based interviews, I've got one for the Local Authorities on Tuesday and really don't know what to expect. For example for the 'communication' competency do they ask you a specific question or is it more of a 'tell me about your communication skills' type thing? Thanks a mil guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 noonie1983

Hi just wondering if anyone knows whats the numbers called for interview in tipp/limerick are?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

noonie1983 wrote:
    Hi just wondering if anyone knows whats the numbers called for interview in tipp/limerick are?

The highest I heard was 120 but thats just "someone who knows someone".

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Strawberry66

The highest I heard was 120 but thats just "someone who knows someone".

I phoned PAS to see how many were called. I was told 120 for interview. I know 2 people that were high 120's and mid 130's that were called so not sure what number they actually reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 john___2014

Hi, im starting tomorrow in the courts. Im wondering what the dress code is on my first day. Thanks

Hi, im starting tomorrow in the courts. Im wondering what the dress code is on my first day. Thanks

Congrats john! I would suggest trousers and shirt and tie at least. A suit if you have one. You want to give a good impression specially if you are dealing with or seen by the public. BTW is it the courts in Dublin? What number were you (roughly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 john___2014

Oh really, I thought a cardigan would be okay. But you reckon a shirt and tie. Yes it is the courts in Dublin. Number 520

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmerG28

Oh really, I thought a cardigan would be okay. But you reckon a shirt and tie. Yes it is the courts in Dublin. Number 520

When did you do your interview and when did you find out you passed etc? Best of luck to you :)

EmerG28 wrote: »
    When did you do your interview and when did you find out you passed etc? Best of luck to you :)

Just my opinion, John. I'm female and if I was lucky enough to be placed I would be wearing a dress as apposed to jeans. I think you should go with the shirt and tie and cardi for the first day just in case you are dealing with the public. Different story if you find out that you are not dealing with the public in the future. Creates a good impression on your first day too!

Just my opinion, John. I'm female and if I was lucky enough to be placed I would be wearing a dress as apposed to jeans. I think you should go with the shirt and tie and cardi for the first day just in case you are dealing with the public. Different story if you find out that you are not dealing with the public in the future. Creates a good impression on your first day too!

Sorry. That reply was for John. I'm new to this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmerG28

Sorry. That reply was for John. I'm new to this!

No worries :)

Advertisement