Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Phantasos wrote: »
    Alright, which of you airport recruits are slacking? You're all over the news! :P

I was thinking that too. I mean how hard can it be to check a passport? JOKE!!! :D

Seriously, it seems like a nightmare and like PeoplePoint the place isn't staffed properly. Shoddy stuff by HR/Management, while staff are stressed out to bits. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

On October 24th - the day that PAS told my daughter she wasn't good enough to be taken on as a Clerical Officer - I came through Passport Control, and wondered what it was about this eager, hard-working, ex-TCO with an honours degree that didn't qualify her to check passports....not my happiest moment...

But - to get back to the point - yes, there's shoddy management high up in the ranks of the Civil Service - and if tourists are given a bad first impression of our country, that's a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 leprachauneile

Aren't those reports talking about last summer? As in, not today? Last time I came through Dublin airport I was through passport control in seconds.

Aren't those reports talking about last summer? As in, not today? Last time I came through Dublin airport I was through passport control in seconds.

It was about people coming to Dublin for St Patricks Day. Big backlogs last week apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

No according to RTE they had delays last week too. By the way it's the non-EU passport channels that are the issue. If you have an EU passport you are usually fine.

I do feel sorry for the new hires. The Civil Service management can't seem to handle new start ups. They know this has been coming down the line for ages but you still get chaos. Old established departments/offices plod along for better or worse but when they have to start from scratch watch out! People Point is another example. Years later and it's still a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hemijonson

I know this is really a laughable question but we booked our summer holidays back in january for 2 weeks in June and just wondering does anyone know how I'd fair starting somewhere before then in regards to getting the time off? Had I known things were gonna take off I obviously wouldn't have booked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

hemijonson wrote:
    I know this is really a laughable question but we booked our summer holidays back in january for 2 weeks in June and just wondering does anyone know how I'd fair starting somewhere before then in regards to getting the time off? Had I known things were gonna take off I obviously wouldn't have booked them.

I have the exact same issue with a week booked the last week of May. Im living in hope that they get us in at least a month before and that training etc would be over by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

If you get a call just tell them from the start. Last summer when I was TCO I had a week off booked and told them when they first rang. Theyd no issue with it (and I was only on a 10 week contract).

Thanks a mill for that

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

hemijonson wrote: »

My sister had booked our holiday before I found out too, a fortnight away in July. I told them when they rang me with the details of the job and they were fine about it, in fact they couldn't have been nicer about it. Just tell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

I'm laughing here at some of the airport comments. Before anyone says anything I know the full story inside out. I have been watching this thread for a long time and frankly it's not the first time I've laughed. The issues reported on RTE were based on figures from not only last Summer but also issues in 2013. If you watch the coverage yesterday it was dying as the day progressed before RTE found a guy who went through the airport last week and claims to have had a delay. The issues as one poster highlighted are essentially limited to T2 and to non EEA passport holders in that terminal. For those who don't understand matters but who will post on them as if they do, civil servants are not assigned to T2 and therefore neither they nor their management have any responsibility for the issues being reported on.

Gerbil granny, can you give it a rest about your daughter, she didn't get the job - fair and square.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

@theveteran, good points, well made.

@gerbilgranny, i hope you're not banging on about your daughters failure in her presence. Your obsession with how the process has failed her is a bit sad and all consuming. I'm sure she will go on to bigger and better things.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Octoroo

So has anyone had their offer yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dragonflyblue

Octoroo wrote: »

Have heard of a few whose current employers have been contacted for references. Then I suppose it depends on how long the Garda clearance checks take. Wonder how long that will be! Would be nice to hear within the next few days (I hope!!!!!!!!!)

Octoroo wrote:

Nope not yet. Employer contacted so ya I suppose it depends on garda clearance but is that not at least 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Octoroo

The welcome packs are in revenue in limerick anyways 😉

Octoroo wrote:

Thats exciting, how many are there? Have to give a months notice so really want to hear soon, almost tempted to chance handing in the notice but Im not brave enough.

Thats exciting, how many are there? Have to give a months notice so really want to hear soon, almost tempted to chance handing in the notice but Im not brave enough.

Beginner to this, have you informed your current employer to expect a call regarding a reference for you? If so, could that not be sort of counted as part of the notice period? I'd imagine when we do receive official offers it may not be too long before the start date, but I could be very wrong on that. A month is quite long to wait. One of my previous jobs required 4 or 6 weeks notice depending on how long you were working there. Quite a lot of people left before then as most new employers were not willing to wait that long for new starts, or used holidays, etc, to bring them up to the notice period. Have you used holidays this year yet? You could have a week or so to use against that too? Hopefully you, and others in your position, won't have too much bother in that regard....

Wonder if everyone is going to the Revenue or if there are other departments also hiring and we may get split between them? Anyone heard of anywhere else where there may be positions?

Wonder if everyone is going to the Revenue or if there are other departments also hiring and we may get split between them? Anyone heard of anywhere else where there may be positions?

I'm praying there are! Really undecided bout limerick. Drive would be at least an 70mins so 2 hrs 40 round trip. But if I don't take it God knows how long I'd be waiting

I'm praying there are! Really undecided bout limerick. Drive would be at least an 70mins so 2 hrs 40 round trip. But if I don't take it God knows how long I'd be waiting

Tipp Town or Clonmel would suit me better than Limerick, but do we have a choice? If we're offered a position in the Revenue in Limerick and turn it down in the hopes of another vacancy in an office closer to us then I thought we would be out of the process as Limerick and Tipp are the same region. I could be totally wrong on that but that's what I thought.

• Advertisement

Octoroo wrote: »

Have ye heard when the new hires are supposed to be starting in there?

Beginner to this, have you informed your current employer to expect a call regarding a reference for you? If so, could that not be sort of counted as part of the notice period? I'd imagine when we do receive official offers it may not be too long before the start date, but I could be very wrong on that. A month is quite long to wait. One of my previous jobs required 4 or 6 weeks notice depending on how long you were working there. Quite a lot of people left before then as most new employers were not willing to wait that long for new starts, or used holidays, etc, to bring them up to the notice period. Have you used holidays this year yet? You could have a week or so to use against that too? Hopefully you, and others in your position, won't have too much bother in that regard....

Yes I told him last week to expect a call but havent spoken to him since. I also mentioned it to the lady in PAS and she said she would make note of it. Im so torn whether to give the notice or wait. I would have a weeks holiday I could try and take.

Tipp Town or Clonmel would suit me better than Limerick, but do we have a choice? If we're offered a position in the Revenue in Limerick and turn it down in the hopes of another vacancy in an office closer to us then I thought we would be out of the process as Limerick and Tipp are the same region. I could be totally wrong on that but that's what I thought.

Oh God I dunno. So would really have to take it then.

I could be wrong about this, so don't take my word on it. Does anyone else on here know exactly the situation regarding this? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I could be wrong about this, so don't take my word on it. Does anyone else on here know exactly the situation regarding this? TIA

My understanding is that if you turn down a job offer in say Tipp/Limerick region that you are out of the running for that region but may still receive an offer the other regions listed on your initial application.

I could be wrong about this, so don't take my word on it.

It stated this in the information we got for the interview stage: "If a candidate qualifies at interview and if they are offered and then decline a Limerick & Tipperary vacancy, they will remain on the list for their other selected region(s). Should their place be reached they will come under consideration for that region."

I took it that that meant that you will remain on the list for other regions if you had selected them, but not for any other positions in the Limerick & Tipperary region. Does anyone else on here know exactly the situation regarding this? TIA

It stated this in the information we got for the interview stage: "If a candidate qualifies at interview and if they are offered and then decline a Limerick & Tipperary vacancy, they will remain on the list for their other selected region(s). Should their place be reached they will come under consideration for that region."

Ya sure that makes sense! Guess I'll just have to cross my fingers that I get offered Tipp cos no word from my other 2 regions

hemijonson wrote:
    Nope not yet. Employer contacted so ya I suppose it depends on garda clearance but is that not at least 3 weeks

Just phoned the garda vetting centre and they said 2 to 4 weeks from when they get the form.

I'm laughing here at some of the airport comments. Before anyone says anything I know the full story inside out. I have been watching this thread for a long time and frankly it's not the first time I've laughed. The issues reported on RTE were based on figures from not only last Summer but also issues in 2013. If you watch the coverage yesterday it was dying as the day progressed before RTE found a guy who went through the airport last week and claims to have had a delay. The issues as one poster highlighted are essentially limited to T2 and to non EEA passport holders in that terminal. For those who don't understand matters but who will post on them as if they do, civil servants are not assigned to T2 and therefore neither they nor their management have any responsibility for the issues being reported on.

Gerbil granny, can you give it a rest about your daughter, she didn't get the job - fair and square.

Hold on a second there. First of all, a little respect for an established Forum member would be appreciated.

Are you suggesting there are no staffing issues for the CO's in the airport who are doing this duty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Are you suggesting there are no staffing issues for the CO's in the airport who are doing this duty?

I don't see how The Veteran's post suggests this at all.

Advertisement