Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 OneStep2015

Are you suggesting there are no staffing issues for the CO's in the airport who are doing this duty?

The news reports referred to T2, which is manned solely by the Garda, and is where most non-EU travellers arrive, as it's where most long-haul carriers disembark their passengers. There's no significant delays (more than 5-10 minutes) of EU passengers at T1, and certainly no delays of an hour of non-EU passengers at T1 (at least during the time it's being manned by civilian staff).

There are parts of the civil service which work, and parts which don't. The part of the civil service which is based at Dublin Airport, by and large, works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Tristram wrote: »
    I don't see how The Veteran's post suggests this at all.

In your view maybe not. The post, apart from being very rude, left me thinking there was no issue in the Airport.

The news reports referred to T2, which is manned solely by the Garda, and is where most non-EU travellers arrive, as it's where most long-haul carriers disembark their passengers. There's no significant delays (more than 5-10 minutes) of EU passengers at T1, and certainly no delays of an hour of non-EU passengers at T1 (at least during the time it's being manned by civilian staff).

There are parts of the civil service which work, and parts which don't. The part of the civil service which is based at Dublin Airport, by and large, works.

The man in the RTE report, IIRC, was referring to the EU passport zone, therefore in T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

I'm laughing again...

Black Menorca you talk of respect and rudeness yet you stated "... Seems like a nightmare ... Isn't staffed properly. Shoddy stuff by HR\Management, while staff are stressed out to bits." Essentially you think it's ok to insult everyone who is a manager in the civil service and everyone who works in HR in the Civil Service. The second bit asserts that the civil service staff at Dub Apt are stressed out to bit but nowhere in the RTE report were the staff asked for their opinion nor were any "sources" quoted therefore your claim has no evidence to support it - so rude and insulting to the staff at the airport who as OneStep says work hard.

BM you also claim that I was saying there are no staffing issues - I did not make such a statement, I corrected the record or at a minimum provided some factual information, i.e. That the issues being reported on relate to the area of the airport not operated by the civilians.

You also state that the reports were about coming in for St Pats Day. That was not the thrust of them ... The story started on Morning Irl, then it was headline news on the same station and their webpage, on the 1 o'clock news Failter Irl's guy was basically saying 'no panic, historic issues, being tackled .... ' I.e. No story. So then on the 6, the reporter whose scoop is nothing like much like a scoop really brings forward a guy who claims to have been delayed last week - maybe he was but off what flight, at what time of day in which terminal and what constitutes a delay? So, in essence the reporting was not about St Pats Day.

Then again in relation to that report you say "... Referring to the EU passport zone, therefore In T1" - really we are going to have to bring you out to the airport and show you around. There are three main passport control zones and each has an EEA and Non EEA set up so it's very simple T1 is not for EU passengers nor is T2 exclusively non EU. It depends on the airline.

Now let's talk about a few more facts. Look up thr daa website and you will see airport traffic is up 15% so far this year ... Has there been an increase of 15% of staff? (no is the answer). Has the Garda and Dept of Justice each reduced in size in recent years? (Yes is the answer). BM if I recall earlier posts you are in fact a civil servant as am I, let's deal in facts, not slag others,of our number off without any basis.

Now turning to Divisadero when he\she states "I do feel sorry for the new hires. Civil Service management can't seem to handle new start ups. They have known this has been coming down the line for ages but you still get chaos." Why feel sorry for the new hires? They are not involved in what was being reported on. I know some of them and I have met a good number of them and I know people who interviewed a lot of them - they are some really good people, amongst the best in the service I have met. They signed up voluntarily for the airport, underwent extended and specific interviews for it and are receiving training. Read the reports and comments from the Dept - a phased approach is being taken. That represents good project management. You see Divis Dublin Airport is not a start up, it has been there for 75 years and it will take time to get 80 to 90 staff trained and deployed. Where is the chaos? How is this a chaotic approach?

An Garda Siochana have reduced numbers at the airport and have held the line notwithstanding this. How long does it take for a non American to enter the U.S.? How long does it take to come through Heathrow if you arrive on a long haul even if you are European? Look at the various shows on Sky ... Queues are part and parcel. Of course, if hundreds of resources could be deployed, I would sense there would be "outrage" at the "dossing" which would be observed.

As I said at the start, laughing I am, laughing ...

All that laughing and you can't bring yourself to apologise to Gerbilgranny? Fine, your call. You clearly joined Boards to put Managements spin on the situation.

Is this a new policy for CS management to carry out such 'ops'? :D

You're all but calling the man on the 6 news a liar. Why would he lie? You also fail to mention the Asst Sec Gen who wrote to DPER expressing deep concern about the lack of CS staffing resuorces. Where this coming from? Is this another RTE fabrication?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

As I said at the start, laughing I am, laughing ...

That makes two of us.

BM, I never said the guy on the 6 wasn't dealyed, I pointed out what the real thrust of the reporting was.

In relation to management spin, the Dept or An Garda Siochana can do their own spinning. I am merely putting facts out there as someone who knows some of the staff at the airport and who is aware of what is going on. Civilians have been there since 2012 and by the end of this year will be the only ones on the desks. The staff out there need encouragement not slagging off.

Re: GerbilGranny, she has referred repeatedly to her daughter failing to get the job. Other posters at the time, months ago, pointed out that maybe she didn't perform at interview, maybe she thought she a shoe in, etc. look at GG's last post ... She is belittling the staff who were checking passports last October. Fact is, her daughter, like hundreds and thousands over the year got the same shot at things as those who got the job, some make it, some don't, facts of life.

I failed one interview for service and got another for a different grade in the same week many moons ago now. Since then I have got some, and not others. Life is like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I can assure you it was not my intention to belittle staff at the airport - for one thing, I'm a CO myself, and the happiest time I had as a CO was in a position which many people considered to be ....well shall we say, 'simple' and 'repetitive'. Just because a job may be perceived as 'uncomplicated' doesn't mean that the employee doesn't have to perform well, and I have every admiration for any person who does their job well - all the more so, if the job might be considered 'mundane'. Staff on the front line suffer the brunt of customers' frustrations.

I take the criticism on the chin regarding my unfortunate obsession - I stand corrected. And in response to the poster who was concerned about me banging on about the 'failure' to my offspring - rest assured, that's not the case.

GG we all need to stand together, as in all civil servants who do their jobs and do them well. BM and the new recruits will learn we often have to take criticism, I just get annoyed when we have a pop at each other.

Roll on more new recruits from the CO and EO panels, it's good to see new blood coming in, finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

A couple of job offers have gone out to temps for Limerick/Tipp. Has anyone else got an offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hemijonson

A couple of job offers have gone out to temps for Limerick/Tipp. Has anyone else got an offer?

No not yet! Do you know when they went out? Does anyone know are there job offers for Tipp or is it just Limerick?

hemijonson wrote:
    No not yet! Do you know when they went out? Does anyone know are there job offers for Tipp or is it just Limerick?

Yesterday for the ones I heard of and they were for Limerick.

keowny8 wrote:
    I was offered Limerick (Sarsfield House). Start date of March 30th.

Do you mind me asking what no you were Keowny8?

keowny8 wrote:
    I was offered Limerick (Sarsfield House). Start date of March 30th.

Thanks for the info. Were you there as a temp already? Just trying to get a feel for what way they are working.

And were you temping already? I'm in late 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dragonflyblue

Ooh exciting news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Anyone else from the Dublin region get any calls for checking references or any other news? Seems to have come to a standstill.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

Does anyone know how far up the panel they got for the Limerick/tipp region with regards interviews? Im at about 170 and guessing since i didn't get called for an interview i would be out of the running at this point. Could anyone shed any light on this? any info would be much appreciated :)

Hi guys 'n' gals, anyone else here get formal word on position in Limerick/Tipperary? Any news of a start date? I've heard March 30th but don't know if everyone is starting on that date? If it is the starting date for everyone then they're leaving it very late to notify us! That's only 1 weeks notice for anyone who is working...

Hi guys 'n' gals, anyone else here get formal word on position in Limerick/Tipperary? Any news of a start date? I've heard March 30th but don't know if everyone is starting on that date? If it is the starting date for everyone then they're leaving it very late to notify us! That's only 1 weeks notice for anyone who is working...

Haven't heard a thing yet but not a hope of me starting the 30th. I'll have to give at least 2 weeks notice. Would love to know if anyone else has heard? Though I have a feeling we'll get called today.

• Advertisement

Nothing here yet. Theres no way they can expect us to start with only a weeks notice. I think that is a date for the temps already in there as they would have the garda vetting done already. I am assuming once vetting comes through they will start calling us (or at least Im praying anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

I'm placed near enough you and even though I'm working part time, I do still hold some hope. Aren't we on a panel for 12-18 months now ?
    Think they called in the first 120-130 from stage 2, can't say for certain how many jobs there are really.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bagel2010

Hi just wondering what was the highest no they called for references etc after interview. I am placed in the nineties did anyone higher than 70 get called does anyone kn. I Hope they keep the panels open for a while then maybe have a chance at been called.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Anyone's reference contacted via email? Mine was. An email was sent with a form to fill out. Awkward enough as I deal with his emails and usually pp everything. I had to keep saying "don't forget to deal with that email there". We'd a laugh about it in the end and he filled it out beside me. Still though, I presumed references were been contacted by phone. Bit informal. The form was really basic. Not complaining though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    Anyone's reference contacted via email? Mine was. An email was sent with a form to fill out. Awkward enough as I deal with his emails and usually pp everything. I had to keep saying "don't forget to deal with that email there". We'd a laugh about it in the end and he filled it out beside me. Still though, I presumed references were been contacted by phone. Bit informal. The form was really basic. Not complaining though!!
    A little surprised at that. I only gave phone numbers so they rang my referees but email seems a bit informal alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bryan_w

Octoroo wrote: »
    The welcome packs are in revenue in limerick anyways 😉

Welcome to Revenue. I am 6 weeks in and I cannot fault the training and support we have received so far. People I know in other areas of the civil service are also impressed with it.

Any idea what numbers the Dublin region is into for positions? I have a friend in the 800's.

bryan_w wrote:
    Welcome to Revenue. I am 6 weeks in and I cannot fault the training and support we have received so far. People I know in other areas of the civil service are also impressed with it.

That's great to know Bryan. Are you based in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sid Bear

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »

They only do that if they fail to reach the person by phone.

Sid Bear wrote: »
    They only do that if they fail to reach the person by phone.

I know of someone in another region who got the e-mail only and no attempt made of a phone call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Sid Bear

I know of someone in another region who got the e-mail only and no attempt made of a phone call

Well PAS called me and said they tried the number numerous times and were going to e-mail a "short" questionnaire.

Advertisement