Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 buggybear

Did anyone from the Dublin panel here anything lately? Early 700s here. Haven't heard a thing since passing the interview😒

Got a call from PAS today asking can they call my references :-) early 700s here too, glad that things are definitely moving again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublin20156

buggybear wrote: »
    Got a call from PAS today asking can they call my references :-) early 700s here too, glad that things are definitely moving again :-)

Same as that! YIPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublin1703

I'm 730's, haven't had a call yet. Feeling a bit more hopeful now knowing things are moving :)

Wonder how long of a wait it is from getting the call to an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nedcoon

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of anything happening with the Roscommon/Mayo region? Dublin seems to be moving, but I haven't heard anything about the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Burton

I received a garda vetting form for positions opening in the department of justice last week which is both ideally placed and what I'm interested in. It was for later applicants cause the vetting process is more in depth so takes longer. 750 here.
    Just wondering does anyone know if this will take priority or if my number is reached before the clearing happens will I get placed somewhere else first? Takes 6-8 weeks for the justice department vetting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ciartastix

Sid Bear wrote: »
    Last year I was originally around 300 for Kildare / Wicklow and jumped 600 places for Dublin but no update on the Kildare / Wicklow placings. I take it if you got results for Kildare/Wicklow that you didn't apply for Dublin. Would love to know what my chances would be of getting an offer for Kildare Wicklow if I turned down Dublin.

Hopefully this means things are moving along in this region. Also waiting to get my updated placing after turning down position on Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wordzworth

Burton wrote: »
    I received a garda vetting form for positions opening in the department of justice last week which is both ideally placed and what I'm interested in. It was for later applicants cause the vetting process is more in depth so takes longer. 750 here.
    Just wondering does anyone know if this will take priority or if my number is reached before the clearing happens will I get placed somewhere else first? Takes 6-8 weeks for the justice department vetting.

Burton I spoke to someone in the Civil Appointments directory - agency in Navan from where our letters were sent - and the positions (when vacancies arise) will be directly with An Garda Siochána in either HQ in phoenix Park or as a CO in a Garda station and not Dept of Justice as PAS initially advised.

wordzworth wrote: »
    Burton I spoke to someone in the Civil Appointments directory - agency in Navan from where our letters were sent - and the positions (when vacancies arise) will be directly with An Garda Siochána in either HQ in phoenix Park or as a CO in a Garda station and not Dept of Justice as PAS initially advised.
    That would be ideal as well to be honest. Phoenix park would not be an issue at all and the stations themselves could be interesting. So hopefully the people sent out letters get reserved for that or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CJsDA

Would anyone have a rough idea as to what numbers they may reach in the Dublin region? Early 800's here. Currently employed, and have been offered a promotion. If I take this promotion it will involve months of training at I'm sure considerable cost to the company. However I would take the position in the public sector over this, for a number of reasons. Should I be confident in turning down this promotion knowing that I will get an offer from PAS? Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmerG28

CJsDA wrote: »
    Would anyone have a rough idea as to what numbers they may reach in the Dublin region? Early 800's here. Currently employed, and have been offered a promotion. If I take this promotion it will involve months of training at I'm sure considerable cost to the company. However I would take the position in the public sector over this, for a number of reasons. Should I be confident in turning down this promotion knowing that I will get an offer from PAS? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last I read on here was early 700s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 wordzworth

Burton wrote: »
    That would be ideal as well to be honest. Phoenix park would not be an issue at all and the stations themselves could be interesting. So hopefully the people sent out letters get reserved for that or something similar

I agree. Lets hope we don't have a very long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Just got Waterford/Wexford results. Dropped one or two places but still top 10. So relieved 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bagel2010

Hi Did anyone sit stage 2 for carlow/kilkenny and if so when did they say results of that stage would be out

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ch0pp3r

Any movement in Donegal region?
    No word here.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

NO nothing for the west or midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

If you want to stay as a co for the rest of your career, then yes jeans are fine. It's an office job in a Government Department, dress appropriately.:cool:

The APs where I work wear jeans. I've seen people wear tracksuits and soccer jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

For wearing business clothes (suits or shirts&ties etc), a good rule of thumb would be to think about the situation you will be in.

For example, I've seen people wear business clothes to interviews for business or retail jobs. Doesn't seem to matter what job. Barwork, shops, public service, private companies etc.

For everyday work in the public/civil service, people tend to wear business clothes if they are going to be dealing with members of the public. So working at reception or on a front desk directly with members of the public.

For the public/civil service, I'd recommend wearing business clothes on your first day. I've seen loads of people do it and it never looks odd especially when it's known that it's your first day/week/month. Then have a look at what everyone else is going and take that as an indication of what they find appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

With regard to dress code within the civil service...there is none. But on your first day I would suggest smart casual e.g. for a guy shirt/pants for the ladies blouse/pants or if you usually wear a dress then do so. The norm within the civil service whether you are in direct contact with the public or not is whatever you want to wear is grand. Myself personally... I would not go into work in a tracksuit. Jeans are fine....tbh team colours would be a no no. Hope this helps the new recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

yenom wrote: »
    The APs where I work wear jeans. I've seen people wear tracksuits and soccer jerseys.

They have a terrible or non existent work ethic in my opinion. In a management position it should always be a case of leading by example. If the managers are dressed like they are going to the pub then standards drop. If you can't get the small things right then forget about everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

They have a terrible or non existent work ethic in my opinion. In a management position it should always be a case of leading by example. If the managers are dressed like they are going to the pub then standards drop. If you can't get the small things right then forget about everything else.

I wouldn't judge people on what they wear to the office. I'd judge them on how good they were at their job. I have worked with some very capable APs and POs that wore casual clothes to the office.

I have worked in three government offices with public counters. None of the counter staff dressed formally (myself included) but none were dressed in tracksuits either. Just because they were dressed casually didn't mean they were lazy or incompetent. When I worked in the courts I would wear a suit if I had to go to court that day and I'd wear jeans and a jumper if I was in the public office.

I would follow eastbono's advice for the first day. Shirt/pants/blouse/pants on the first day and take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

You don't need to wear a suit to have a good work ethic.The supervisor I had when I was a TCO wore a black pants and t-shirt.She was hard working and had a great work ethic. Don't assume they are not doing a good job because of what they wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

What a foolish thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

I think somebody is stuck in the Civil Service of the 1950's. Despite what some people think it has moved on a little since then! Re the original query as others have said dress up a little on the first day if at all possible and after that you can just go with the flow if you wish. But don't spend any money on 'office' clothes unless you personally want to. In the two offices I worked some did wear tracksuits but the majority wore jeans etc. Senior staff as in AP and above usually but not always dressed more formally. By the way your promotion prospects are not going to be in any way determined by your dress code. Your ability to do well in aptitude tests is the most important factor in securing promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sid Bear

Late 600s here and no offer yet... I know they are offering in the 700s now. Is this normal in some cases to get skipped while they find a position that suits?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmerG28

Late 600s here and no offer yet... I know they are offering in the 700s now. Is this normal in some cases to get skipped while they find a position that suits?

Maybe give them a ring if your worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

Sid Bear wrote:

I had the same thing, was in the 30s and people in the 60s had been offered positions. Ring them or email, they wont mind. Ended up I was going to a different department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

Sid Bear wrote:

This is normal, I was 318 and friend was 290-odd and I got offer before her. Think it just depends on what department they think you are suited to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sliabh Gamh

I'm in the same boat, late 600's. I was starting to worry that one of my references or the Garda vetting had raised a red flag that counted me out. Which I would be very surprised about, as all my references should be good and never been any trouble with the law.
    Hopefully they are just waiting to place us where they think we'd be most suited.

I do remember part of the interview did focus on particular skills you have as an individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sid Bear

I'm in the same boat, late 600's. I was starting to worry that one of my references or the Garda vetting had raised a red flag that counted me out. Which I would be very surprised about, as all my references should be good and never been any trouble with the law.
    Hopefully they are just waiting to place us where they think we'd be most suited.

I do remember part of the interview did focus on particular skills you have as an individual.

I called them today but my friendly contact wasn't there although they're all pretty nice and helpful at PAS. I was told there shouldn't be a problem but that they'd leave a note on my file and was told that most placements were city centre... which would mean me commuting 4 hours a day but I'm going to do my best to try and make it work.

• Advertisement

Called to let me know my references where soon to be contacted. 746 here. Dublin region

Advertisement