Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Burton

Yeah didnt sound like it was going to be in that building from the way he was speaking.
    Sure its all in the works now il find out eventually. I have waited this long I can wait a little longer XD

• Registered Users Posts: 39 tubba

denmar wrote: »
    Tubba, just wondering when you got stage 2 results for Kerry ? I did interview for Cork but I had Kerry on my list too and I haven't been notified og my placing on Kerry after Stage 2 - can only assume that I didn't get placed high enough from Stage 2 testing. I heard that they tested up to number 99 on Kerry panel and I was 94 so that may be why I haven't heard.

Hi Denmar,
    I got Kerry results at the very start of march.
    I had my name down for Cork too, got my results for cork around middle of March. At this stage I already had the interview done for limerick/tipp.
    I was around 40 on Kerry panel. I heard they haven't done interviews yet for Kerry so might hear from them yet.
    Where did you place in cork. I am surprised that they have not started offering positions for cork yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tevtec

Have been assigned to Dept. Transport, Tourism and Sports, Kildare st. Early 700s

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭paddycakes

tubba wrote: »
    Where did you place in cork. I am surprised that they have not started offering positions for cork yet.

I'm getting desperate to hear something about Cork at this stage!! Nothing since the middle of March, I was hoping that once we'd got stage 2 results that the process would speed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

feemcdee55 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering did anyone here any word for stage 2 for Cavan/Monaghan region.
    I got a message on the 15th saying stage 2 test was on April 30th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 tubba

paddycakes wrote: »
    I'm getting desperate to hear something about Cork at this stage!! Nothing since the middle of March, I was hoping that once we'd got stage 2 results that the process would speed up!

Cork and Kerry are both same. Got results from both in March and nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭budget1984

Hi, I applied for this position and had forgotten all about it until I received notification of stage 2. I have a few questions about CO if you can help me.
    If one was to be offered a position what is the starting salary - does it matter if you have previously work in Local Authority as TCO. Also, do new CO's have flexi time or is it fixed working hours. Thanks for you help

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SOANDSO

budget1984 wrote: »
    Hi, I applied for this position and had forgotten all about it until I received notification of stage 2. I have a few questions about CO if you can help me.
    If one was to be offered a position what is the starting salary - does it matter if you have previously work in Local Authority as TCO. Also, do new CO's have flexi time or is it fixed working hours. Thanks for you help

Startung salary 409.00 if youhave a year done as TCO starting salary 439.00

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cailindeas123

Does anybody know for certain if the Sligo/Leitrim/Longford area has been called forward for Stage 2 testing?

I got a message on Thursday inviting me to Stage 2 testing on the 29th April in Dublin but I am unsure which of my 3 regions I am being called for.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

I'm surprised the Galway region hasn't had any movement... or am I too far down the pecking order? Anyone in Galway hear anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mhana

Does anybody know for certain if the Sligo/Leitrim/Longford area has been called forward for Stage 2 testing?

I got a message on Thursday inviting me to Stage 2 testing on the 29th April in Dublin but I am unsure which of my 3 regions I am being called for.

I enquired during the week about the Sligo/Leitrim/Longford region and they told me they hadn't set any dates for stage 2 testing yet, so it was probably one of your other regions

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

Hi guys I got results of stage 2 for Kildare/ Wicklow.. I have read that some people have been called for Carlow/Kilkenny (stage 2) which was 1 of my choices.. Will my results from stage 2 be counted for Carlow/ Kilkenny region also or how dose it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Lulucas wrote: »
    Hi guys I got results of stage 2 for Kildare/ Wicklow.. I have read that some people have been called for Carlow/Kilkenny (stage 2) which was 1 of my choices.. Will my results from stage 2 be counted for Carlow/ Kilkenny region also or how dose it work.

You only sit Stage 2 once so your Kildare/Wicklow results will carry over for Carlow/Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

I'm not been funny when I say this but those of you looking for word on various regions need to face the reality that there won't be jobs in most of them - the numbers aren't there plus there are loads of serving people looking for moves "down the country".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I'm not been funny when I say this but those of you looking for word on various regions need to face the reality that there won't be jobs in most of them - the numbers aren't there plus there are loads of serving people looking for moves "down the country".

Did you read The Conductor's posts back in the early pages,speciufically posts 522,1832 & 2683, where he stated that two-thirds of the C.S is based outside Dublin? It follows then that there will be a lot of vacancies "down the country". Its very doubtful that all these vacancies will be filled by transfers.There will be a lot of retirements before end of July 2016 that cannot possibly be filled by transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jillybean77

Hi just wondering if there any more word from Waterford/Wexford. I am placed 234 but haven't been called to Stage 2 on the 28th. Should i just give up at this stage? Interviewed yesterday for Temporary Clerical Officers and placed 34 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tina82

Just want to say thanks for all the info on this thread....starting first day of work tomorrow....this thread has kept me sane through this LONG process 😃!!! Been nearly 2 years since I last worked.....best of luck to everyone that's still waiting on news.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mupmup

Tina82 wrote: »
    Just want to say thanks for all the info on this thread....starting first day of work tomorrow....this thread has kept me sane through this LONG process ðŸ˜႒!!! Been nearly 2 years since I last worked.....best of luck to everyone that's still waiting on news.

Tina I'm in exactly the same boat. Almost 2 years since I stopped working too. Starting tomorrow. Excited but nervous at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 shluffles

paddycakes wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. Although I'm not exactly near the top placed, it would be nice to know that there's movement, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Padge1987

Hi just wondering if there any more word from Waterford/Wexford. I am placed 234 but haven't been called to Stage 2 on the 28th. Should i just give up at this stage? Interviewed yesterday for Temporary Clerical Officers and placed 34 :)

I'm the same I not got called stage 2 I number 108 I had rang them and they said they had called up to the seventies and couldn't tell me more I should applied kk/Carlow as well .... How did u find interview yesterday I did it also

• Advertisement

mupmup wrote: »
    Tina I'm in exactly the same boat. Almost 2 years since I stopped working too. Starting tomorrow. Excited but nervous at the same time.

Best of luck !!!!!

Padge1987 wrote: »
    I'm the same I not got called stage 2 I number 108 I had rang them and they said they had called up to the seventies and couldn't tell me more I should applied kk/Carlow as well .... How did u find interview yesterday I did it also

Ah it was grand. They were really nice so it was very stress free. They seem to be very slow processing the stages in Waterford. Still waiting to hear on the B option in the TCO too

Ah it was grand. They were really nice so it was very stress free. They seem to be very slow processing the stages in Waterford. Still waiting to hear on the B option in the TCO too

Yea was just chat really ! Ul prb get called quick u av a high number! They r unreal slow doing Waterford I thought there would b good few positions between gov buildings n the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

tubba wrote: »
    Hi Denmar,
    I got Kerry results at the very start of march.
    I had my name down for Cork too, got my results for cork around middle of March. At this stage I already had the interview done for limerick/tipp.
    I was around 40 on Kerry panel. I heard they haven't done interviews yet for Kerry so might hear from them yet.

I was number 94 on Kerry panel but was told by PAS that they had only taken stage 2 testing to number 88. I said ok but I had already done stage 2 testing and would my results not be taken into account for Kerry also - apparently not ! Even that I may have a scored a higher overall result than some of the 88 people tested, my result could not be taken into consideration as I was number 94 and outside of the number they called to stage 2. I am placed 110 on Cork panel after stage 2 but have not been called for interview. I'm thinking I haven't a hope of Kerry now and it would be much more convenient for me than Cork but shur no point in whingeing about it now. I should have tried harder in stage 2 :o

I've realised that I said interview in my first post - I meant stage 2 and 99 should have read 88 - very bad typing error !! Sorry !!

It's no wonder She didn't placed higher I hear you say - oops !!

Padge1987 wrote: »
    Yea was just chat really ! Ul prb get called quick u av a high number! They r unreal slow doing Waterford I thought there would b good few positions between gov buildings n the hospital.

Only problem is I have holiday paid for middle of May and he said that mite be a problem 😔 hopefully I'll be able to sort it though 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Kristopherus, 2/3 of the civil service is not outside Dublin. For a start 10% of the civil service are prison officers. There are lots outside Dublin but most of them that are at clerical level opted to go there through various decentralisation moves - not all of it happened with Charlie McCreevys scheme. If you look at where there are significant concentrations of COs, what are you looking at? A few hundred in Sligo, Letterkenny, maybe Longford in DSP. A few hundred in Limerick in Revenue. Justice has about 80 in Tipperary Town, DPER has clericals now in payroll centres in Killarney, Tullamore and Galway.

But then you have approximately 1400/1500 clericals who work in Garda stations "everywhere".

The various realities are that:

- most of those who voluntarily decentralised did so for location specific reasons (usually family or home related);
    - most of them have plenty of years left in them so there won't be significant numbers of retirements by July 2016 - CO is a predominantly female grade and in a lot of cases they won't have the full 40 years service and are inclined to stay to 65 before retiring;
    - outside of some of the pockets mentioned above there aren't many big pockets of clerical staff around the place (remember the Passport Office in Balbriggan and PeoplePoint as two CO heavy offices are both in Dublin);
    - most Depts have internal transfer lists and some inter'd lists that they will go to first before looking for new recruits.

I'm not saying there won't be jobs outside Dublin, what I am saying is outside of the main centres, the chances of there being any significant number is negligible. An earlier poster asked about Louth\Meath for example. Well, Social Protection Sought staff under redeployment for a lot of offices in that region.

If someone was 100 say for that region, forget it as there will be few enough jobs to fill in the first place and there are hundreds of civili servants at every grade who would jump at transfers to locations there. I know that DPER did an exercise in relation to Tullamore and there is something like 3,000 or 4,000 general service civil servants within 45kms - they looked at it when assessing how sustainable putting the payroll centre there was.

Also, to change the subject slightly - I know there has been huge attrition in this competition. I know some of the people who did interviews for PAS and there were a lot not showing up for interviews, then there are a lot falling out at the post interview offer stage and even after that.

Part of the reason why these competitions take so long is because part of what passes as fairness is the stuff around allowing everyone register, everyone do exams, everyone get called for stage 2, etc, multiple regions, etc etc. plus Garda vetting, reference checks of loads of people given the attrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

I only applied for Sligo/Leitrim/Longford and got called for stage 2 on 29th.. Can't remember exact number but placed early 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Kristopherus, 2/3 of the civil service is not outside Dublin. For a start 10% of the civil service are prison officers. There are lots outside Dublin but most of them that are at clerical level opted to go there through various decentralisation moves - not all of it happened with Charlie McCreevys scheme. If you look at where there are significant concentrations of COs, what are you looking at? A few hundred in Sligo, Letterkenny, maybe Longford in DSP. A few hundred in Limerick in Revenue. Justice has about 80 in Tipperary Town, DPER has clericals now in payroll centres in Killarney, Tullamore and Galway.

But then you have approximately 1400/1500 clericals who work in Garda stations "everywhere".

The various realities are that:

- most of those who voluntarily decentralised did so for location specific reasons (usually family or home related);
    - most of them have plenty of years left in them so there won't be significant numbers of retirements by July 2016 - CO is a predominantly female grade and in a lot of cases they won't have the full 40 years service and are inclined to stay to 65 before retiring;
    - outside of some of the pockets mentioned above there aren't many big pockets of clerical staff around the place (remember the Passport Office in Balbriggan and PeoplePoint as two CO heavy offices are both in Dublin);
    - most Depts have internal transfer lists and some inter'd lists that they will go to first before looking for new recruits.

I'm not saying there won't be jobs outside Dublin, what I am saying is outside of the main centres, the chances of there being any significant number is negligible. An earlier poster asked about Louth\Meath for example. Well, Social Protection Sought staff under redeployment for a lot of offices in that region.

If someone was 100 say for that region, forget it as there will be few enough jobs to fill in the first place and there are hundreds of civili servants at every grade who would jump at transfers to locations there. I know that DPER did an exercise in relation to Tullamore and there is something like 3,000 or 4,000 general service civil servants within 45kms - they looked at it when assessing how sustainable putting the payroll centre there was.

Also, to change the subject slightly - I know there has been huge attrition in this competition. I know some of the people who did interviews for PAS and there were a lot not showing up for interviews, then there are a lot falling out at the post interview offer stage and even after that.

Part of the reason why these competitions take so long is because part of what passes as fairness is the stuff around allowing everyone register, everyone do exams, everyone get called for stage 2, etc, multiple regions, etc etc. plus Garda vetting, reference checks of loads of people given the attrition.

With, respect, The Conductor is a Civil Servant of long standing, and I am prepared to accept that he knows what he is talking about. He posted the same info on 3 seperate postings and I have no reason to believe he is telling lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublin20156

With, respect, The Conductor is a Civil Servant of long standing, and I am prepared to accept that he knows what he is talking about. He posted the same info on 3 seperate and I have no reason to believe he is telling lies.

I'm with Veteran on this one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

The Conductor, we need your input here
    How many permanent c o positions would you estimate for Westmeath/Offaly, if they ever get round to it.

Advertisement