Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

kris, I have 20 years under my belt and quite a bit of inside knowledge that I can't be too specific on. Don't take my word for it, look at the evidence throughout this thread. PeoplePoint in a dublin hoovered up a big gang, Justice for the airport and in the last week or so (Dublin) hoovered up more, revenue in Dublin and Limerick (a location I mentioned), DSP in Dublin again? Any recruitment being mentioned for Sligo\Leitrim is again likely to be the DSP's Pensions Office - again a location I mentioned. I happen to know that there are moves happening to locations outside Dublin for saving staff with what is called "backfill" (I.e. New recruits) being taken on in Dublin.

As I said earlier, I am not saying there will be no recruitment outside Dublin but rather that it will be concentrated in certain pockets. There simply won't be recruitment in some areas and in others it won't be of any consequence in volume terms. How many have been taken on in Dublin? How many were interviewed and given job offers?

The EO internal and interdepartmental competitions will "create" jobs at clerical level but how many of them will be outside Dublin will be driven by where the person promoted is and again whether there are local transfer lists etc in place. A CO working in say Cork is unlikely to take an EO promotion in Dublin especially if they have a house, kids, other half etc

So as I said already, 2/3 of the civil service is not outside Dublin and the civil servants who are outside Dublin and who are at CO level are unlikely to leave in such numbers to generate fillable posts at every crossroads. The Courts Service has closed or consolidated offices and operates an internal transfer process. agriculture has closed plenty of local offices. With Revenue on Line Services, Revenue don't need the clerical numbers they once did. social protection has a well established inter'd transfer list system in place.

I'm simply putting some reality into the thread. the PAS asking for geographic preferences way back at the application stage is simply good planning on their part so they can cover all bases if they have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 feemcdee55

I got a message on the 15th saying stage 2 test was on April 30th.

Cheers, just checked my mail. I got that email also :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm with Veteran on this one!

Me too. I put Dublin down as one of my regions (I'm not from Dublin) because I saw it as the only region where significant numbers of people would be gotten through. I'm down for Cork too, where I'm from, but I know I'm too far down the list to have a realistic chance of a Cork job. I'm through to stage 3 in Dublin and I haven't heard a thing about Cork.

I worked in the HR section of a government department. The transfer list out of Dublin was massive. In the department I'm in now everyone seems to have started off in the civil service in Dublin and made their way back to Cork over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublin20156

Me too. I put Dublin down as one of my regions (I'm not from Dublin) because I saw it as the only region where significant numbers of people would be gotten through. I'm down for Cork too, where I'm from, but I know I'm too far down the list to have a realistic chance of a Cork job. I'm through to stage 3 in Dublin and I haven't heard a thing about Cork.

I worked in the HR section of a government department. The transfer list out of Dublin was massive. In the department I'm in now everyone seems to have started off in the civil service in Dublin and made their way back to Cork over time.

The same as that. I'm from the country too and am too far down the list in my area. Got a call for Dublin the other day! I will be looking for a transfer but I know I will have to wait for a long time. You need to look at the big picture. Permanent and pensionable these days is very attractive. Veteran obviously knows what he's talking about

The same as that. I'm from the country too and am too far down the list in my area. Got a call for Dublin the other day! I will be looking for a transfer but I know I will have to wait for a long time. You need to look at the big picture. Permanent and pensionable these days is very attractive. Veteran obviously knows what he's talking about

Congratulations on getting the call. If I pass Stage 3 and get offered a Dublin based position I'll take it. I won't even have to think about it. If the last 5/6 years has taught me anything it's that the words permanent and pensionable are not to be sniffed at. I'll worry about getting into the civil service now and getting back to Cork later.

• Advertisement

Congratulations on getting the call. If I pass Stage 3 and get offered a Dublin based position I'll take it. I won't even have to think about it. If the last 5/6 years has taught me anything it's that the words permanent and pensionable are not to be sniffed at. I'll worry about getting into the civil service now and getting back to Cork later.

Thanks. Good luck with the interview. Have examples of all the competencices in work, education and hobbies and you have no bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jillybean77

Padge1987 wrote: »
    Yea was just chat really ! Ul prb get called quick u av a high number! They r unreal slow doing Waterford I thought there would b good few positions between gov buildings n the hospital.

I asked where the positions where in Waterford and he said DSP, The Revenue and the Garda Station. He said that they have recently been contacted about the HSE looking for staff too so fingers crossed - Of course that might only amount to 6 jibs lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23 angelica4545

Any sign of movement in Donegal?? I'm in the top 20 and have heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Timtim9

Hi All, Im in the low 800's in the Dublin region and wondering will they actually get to my number, completed the interview back in Feb and passed it but haven't heard anything since?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Timtim9 wrote: »
    Hi All, Im in the low 800's in the Dublin region and wondering will they actually get to my number, completed the interview back in Feb and passed it but haven't heard anything since?

I'm in the same boat as you. Been watching this board since last year. If we do get called it probably wont be until next month at the very least as they took on a fair amount from the 700's this month.

It'd be bitterly disappointing to have them finish recruiting right before our number. Counting on getting this job entirely myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WilsonIRL

Just a quick question, Has anyone who has started in their positions, who may have been on a higher salary in their old job, tried negotiating for a matching salary or a salary near the same level along the CO payscale?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

WilsonIRL wrote: »
    Just a quick question, Has anyone who has started in their positions, who may have been on a higher salary in their old job, tried negotiating for a matching salary or a salary near the same level along the CO payscale?

I very much doubt you'll get ANY leeway on wages in these jobs. The only way you'll go up the salary scale is if you've worked in the civil service in the past and you're entitled to increments based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Padge1987

I asked where the positions where in Waterford and he said DSP, The Revenue and the Garda Station. He said that they have recently been contacted about the HSE looking for staff too so fingers crossed - Of course that might only amount to 6 jibs lol

Lol yea u wouldn't know let me know if u hear anything she told me a email would come out did he tell u that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mhana

Any sign of movement in Donegal?? I'm in the top 20 and have heard nothing.

Me too, I'm in the top 20. I rang last week and was told that they had no dates set for interviews yet.

That being said, I'm also waiting on Sligo and I know I won't get the stage 2 test call because I've done it already for Donegal, so I was wondering if it was going to happen soon and they said they had no dates, but I've just seen a post from someone who got a stage 2 test call for the 29th so things must be changing already! Good sign :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mhana

Gickyk wrote: »
    I only applied for Sligo/Leitrim/Longford and got called for stage 2 on 29th.. Can't remember exact number but placed early 90's

That's great news. I've done the tests already for the Donegal region so won't get called again, so I wonder how many are being called in for stage 2 testing in Sligo, anyone else get called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Archie35

Are references checked by phone or email

That's not going to happen. If you have previous service in the civil/public service you might be entitled to more pay or have your increment date pushed forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WilsonIRL

That's not going to happen. If you have previous service in the civil/public service you might be entitled to more pay or have your increment date pushed forward.

Ah yeah, I assumed as much. Well, getting the job is the important thing. An initial loss in pay is unfortunate but it'll work out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

Archie35 wrote:
    Are references checked by phone or email

Can be either. Generally if they cant get through by phone they send a form by email to be filled in.

Ah yeah, I assumed as much. Well, getting the job is the important thing. An initial loss in pay is unfortunate but it'll work out eventually.

You'll get a pay rise every year until you hit the top of the scale. I wouldn't say no to that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Jillybean77

Padge1987 wrote: »
    Lol yea u wouldn't know let me know if u hear anything she told me a email would come out did he tell u that

yeah he said it will be this week but not holding my breath lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

You'll get a pay rise every year until you hit the top of the scale. I wouldn't say no to that :)

It's not a pay rise! It's an increment, payment of which should be linked to performance.

A pay rise would be if the entire scale was increased, in the same way that Croke Park / HRA imposed pay cuts.

It's not a pay rise! It's an increment, payment of which should be linked to performance.

A pay rise would be if the entire scale was increased, in the same way that Croke Park / HRA imposed pay cuts.

That's you told, John!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

That's you told, John!!

Head over to the Irish Economy forum to see some of the public sector bashing threads and you'll come to appreciate the distinction very quickly ;)

Head over to the Irish Economy forum to see some of the public sector bashing threads and you'll come to appreciate the distinction very quickly ;)

ðŸ˜!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caribaba

Does anyone know what numbers they have reached in Dublin yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmerG28

Caribaba wrote: »
    Does anyone know what numbers they have reached in Dublin yet?

I was late 700s and we seem to have been the latest batch called. So hitting the 800s soon I say

Me too I've heard nothing have you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublin1703

My references were called last week, Im early 700's Dublin but havent heard anything since. Bit worried that I havent been contacted 😕 Anyone else in Dublin heard anything?

• Advertisement

I got a email did u ?

Advertisement