Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jjnaas

does anyone know what the pension situation is now for new entrants. Let's take a common scenario: someone in their 30s starts now and remains a CO. What type of pension would they looking at. I know we don't have a crystal ball and can't predict what will happen in 30 years with 100% certainty.

A current civil servant told my brother to disregard the 'pensionable' aspect of the CO job when making his decision because he says its not worth much.

My brother is 32 and has a masters but unemployed for 7 months. He's single and would have to move up to Dublin or commute (1.5 hours) . His other option is to head to Canada. Tough choice. He is leaning toward Canada at the moment. The low wages are putting him off, he'd take home 350.

Any feedback appreciated. He has a deposit paid for the Canada visa and a job offer for aCO so needs to decide by Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jillybean77

Padge1987 wrote: »
    I got a email did u ?

Yeah got it today. Not much info in it though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

The pension element - on the assumption that your brother is a "new entrant" (has a particular meaning for pension purposes) he would join the Single Pension Scheme whereby a percentage of his annual income counts towards his final pension. The "old" civil service pension used to be 1/80th of your final salary multiplied by the number of years service you had to a maximum of forty years. The Single Pesion Scheme ignores final salary but rather a percentage elf salary in each year is added to a pot as such which when added makes up the pension amount. If your brother stayed as a CO each scheme will basically work out the same. As your brother will pay PRSI and be on the PPC scale he will be entitled to claim the State contributory pension and his vocational pension is reduced accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lizzy09

Just got a phone call from pass regarding checking my references, early 800s in dublin region!! So delighted to get some word, she also said she would be hopefull of placement within the next month or two!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

lizzy09 wrote: »
    Just got a phone call from pass regarding checking my references, early 800s in dublin region!! So delighted to get some word, she also said she would be hopefull of placement within the next month or two!! :D

I'm in the 820's, next in line :O Trying to gauge how long it'll take to reach me as I have holidays planned that now I might have to cancel :O .

But still so excited! We're on our way!

• Advertisement

Jade182 wrote: »
    I'm in the 820's, next in line :O Trying to gauge how long it'll take to reach me as I have holidays planned that now I might have to cancel :O .

But still so excited! We're on our way!

Yay it's great to hear something, delighted we have movement!! Hopefully they will be ok about hols but sure worry about that when it happens :)
    Also my boss said he got the call earlier aswel so there moving fast!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublin1703

Got a call today, Early 700's... starting late May 😊 They got to me before letter did..was beginning to worry!

dublin1703 wrote: »
    Got a call today, Early 700's... starting late May 😊 They got to me before letter did..was beginning to worry!

Congrats, least you don't have to worry anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Anyone else get calls for references for Dublin today?

My phone is practically glued to my hip at this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Padge1987

Yeah got it today. Not much info in it though lol

Lol !! Ul get a call a lot quicker then me I reckon 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MrsColumbo

I think that the Verbal Reasoning test is a deliberate form of Indirect Discrimination. It is one thing to require a high level of competency in English. However to have a competitive verbal reasoning test clearly sets the bar much higher for non-native speakers. Candidates are placed on the Order of Merit directly linked to the results in this test. There should be a set qualifying standard in English and candidates should be ranked in Order of Merit based on all relevant competencies. We have non-native doctors, nurses, university professors but at entry level in public administration our diverse population is not reflected. I hope someone from PAS takes notice. I'm sure this forum provides them with much feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

Does anyone out there know for sure what way after interview they offer vacancy's? I mean the way the counties are bunched together, is there common sense associated? I.E Longford/Leitrim/Sligo will someone who has an address in Sligo be matched with a job in Longford ? Is it based on order of placement = x vacancy (regardless of location), or is there someone out there matching people skill with job roles, - I have experience in accounts, vacancy in Leitrim for person with accountancy skills, 5 people placed on panel at same order of placement - person with most skills offered position 1st ? Surely they look at the lists and match people to positions most suited to them in their immediate locations ?? - Or do they not care as there is always someone further down the list who will take the job regardless? I would hate to turn down a job offer because my placement on the panel matched up with a job 2/3 counties over the way & came up before a placement in my home town and I couldn't justify the commute. Is it all really that pot lucky ?

Apologies if asked before couldn't face reading back over the whole thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Is there more interviews coming up or is it closed for the yr

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

naughto wrote: »
    Is there more interviews coming up or is it closed for the yr

Competition is closed but interviews are still ongoing for those who passed stage 2 tests. Don't know how long the panel will remain before they start a new competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mhana

Gickyk wrote: »
    Does anyone out there know for sure what way after interview they offer vacancy's? I mean the way the counties are bunched together, is there common sense associated? I.E Longford/Leitrim/Sligo will someone who has an address in Sligo be matched with a job in Longford ? Is it based on order of placement = x vacancy (regardless of location), or is there someone out there matching people skill with job roles, - I have experience in accounts, vacancy in Leitrim for person with accountancy skills, 5 people placed on panel at same order of placement - person with most skills offered position 1st ? Surely they look at the lists and match people to positions most suited to them in their immediate locations ?? - Or do they not care as there is always someone further down the list who will take the job regardless? I would hate to turn down a job offer because my placement on the panel matched up with a job 2/3 counties over the way & came up before a placement in my home town and I couldn't justify the commute. Is it all really that pot lucky ?

I don't know the answer, but I was wondering the same thing. I wonder does anyone know how this works?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 briarrose

MrsColumbo, if you refer to the Verbal Comprehension test that was done online, I'm a non native speaker and I disagree with you opinion of that part of the test being a form of discrimination. I did not score brilliantly on that, true enough, but I did not score brilliantly on Numerical Comprehension either; what got me in the first case was probably nerves and the time limit, in the second case my not being that great at numbers. Where it is true that we have a very diverse population now in this country, it's equally true that it is us, the non native speakers, that should step up and improve; not the system that must lower its standards to accomodate us.

You mention non native doctors and nurses; where it is true we should not be penalized because of our nationality, quite frankly the level of english I encountered in a small number of non native medical personnel (and other staff in other areas) is way too low.

dublin1703 wrote: »

Just wondering did they tell you what department you'll be starting in in May if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

briarrose wrote:
    MrsColumbo, if you refer to the Verbal Comprehension test that was done online, I'm a non native speaker and I disagree with you opinion of that part of the test being a form of discrimination. I did not score brilliantly on that, true enough, but I did not score brilliantly on Numerical Comprehension either; what got me in the first case was probably nerves and the time limit, in the second case my not being that great at numbers. Where it is true that we have a very diverse population now in this country, it's equally true that it is us, the non native speakers, that should step up and improve; not the system that must lower its standards to accomodate us.

Very well said briarrose. When someone is likely to be dealing with the public they need to speak the language fluently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

MrsColumbo wrote: »
    I think that the Verbal Reasoning test is a deliberate form of Indirect Discrimination. It is one thing to require a high level of competency in English. However to have a competitive verbal reasoning test clearly sets the bar much higher for non-native speakers. Candidates are placed on the Order of Merit directly linked to the results in this test. There should be a set qualifying standard in English and candidates should be ranked in Order of Merit based on all relevant competencies. We have non-native doctors, nurses, university professors but at entry level in public administration our diverse population is not reflected. I hope someone from PAS takes notice. I'm sure this forum provides them with much feedback.

If you want to give feedback to PAS, give feedback to PAS. This is an Internet forum. You might as well be posting that as your Facebook status.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

As an aside in the U.S.even permanent residents (Green Card Holders) are not allowed to apply for Federal Government (U.S. Civil Service) jobs. Only citizens can apply. Not directly relevant but just pointing out that we're not that 'bad' here in Ireland /EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hemijonson

Gickyk wrote:

Really don't think they look at your address to be honest! I applied for all counties around including Tipp which was paired with Limerick. Ended up getting offered Limerick which is about 80 mins of a drive. I took it because I was told there was nothing else and have since heard of people getting offered Nenagh which would have been half the distance

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sid Bear

Gickyk wrote: »

Once I heard I passed the interview and I'd been contacted about references I contacted PAS who were very friendly and I explained my situation re my desired "general" location preference in Dublin based on a potentially long commute from a certain part of the country. They said they'd try to take it on board but could give no guarantees. After I got my letter stating what dept I was assigned to I contacted the HR of that dept and once again explained my situ using my finest communication skills :) and based on the areas where they said they were hiring in Dublin was able to give a preference and thankfully have been assigned to that locale starting next month. So my advice is to contact them and state your case and they might mark it on your file. Outside of Dublin there may be less scope for this and so might be harder to accomodate people's individual requests but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bagel2010

Hi if you turn down an offer for a position that you get assigned to in one area can you stay on the panel for a seperate area or are you out completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

bagel2010 wrote: »
    Hi if you turn down an offer for a position that you get assigned to in one area can you stay on the panel for a seperate area or are you out completely

You will be out of contention for the region where you turned down the job but you will still be ok for your other 2 regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kagey15

Just got offered a position today starting in Limerick in the Revenue on the 18th May so there are still taking people there. Worked out perfect as I am from Limerick. Hope others are as lucky and get offers in their regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mariaacarroll

Kagey15 wrote: »
    Just got offered a position today starting in Limerick in the Revenue on the 18th May so there are still taking people there. Worked out perfect as I am from Limerick. Hope others are as lucky and get offers in their regions.

Thats great, do you mind me asking what number you were. I got my references checked nearly two weeks and I have heard nothing since....

Hi Maria,

I was in the 70's. But as far as I know they have pushed on into the 100's. There was a hold up with my application and I missed the first round of offers.

I got a phone call also about two weeks ago from PAS asking about references. I received a phone call from the revenue department direct today offering me the position.

I hope you hear something soon and if not you should e mail the PAS, I did and found them personable and helpful.

Also if anyone who started a few weeks back has any advice or info - I would greatly appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mariaacarroll

Kagey15 wrote: »
    Hi Maria,

I was in the 70's. But as far as I know they have pushed on into the 100's. There was a hold up with my application and I missed the first round of offers.

I got a phone call also about two weeks ago from PAS asking about references. I received a phone call from the revenue department direct today offering me the position.

I hope you hear something soon and if not you should e mail the PAS, I did and found them personable and helpful.

Also if anyone who started a few weeks back has any advice or info - I would greatly appreciate it

Hopefully soon, did they tell you what department? If its Sarsfield House, I worked there on contract for over a year and enjoyed it. They have a canteen there, not cheap though, and you can park in Arthurs Quay on a Revenue rate of €15 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aleera

The last I heard with regards to Waterford was my invitation for the stage 2 exam. I also applied for Limerick/Tipperary and got called for an interview, which i passed, and yet not a word about Waterford!

Does anyone know anything about this region??

• Advertisement

Hopefully soon, did they tell you what department? If its Sarsfield House, I worked there on contract for over a year and enjoyed it. They have a canteen there, not cheap though, and you can park in Arthurs Quay on a Revenue rate of €15 per week.

Ah that's great thanks. You should def be in with a great chance if you worked there already! what number were you do you mind me asking ?

Advertisement