Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

How many references are needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

jaffusmax wrote: »

3 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

3 I think.

They called me yesterday about references and only asked if they could call one of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

They called me yesterday about references and only asked if they could call one of them...

They said the same to me last week. I gave them 3 originally but they said they'd only call one.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mrspepperpot

They contacted all three of mine, as far as I know they only look for permission for current employer and automatically contact the others.

• Advertisement

They contacted all three of mine, as far as I know they only look for permission for current employer and automatically contact the others.

I'm not currently employed but they did ask if I'd informed my referee that I had named them on my application, which I had.

eroc79 wrote:
    I'm not currently employed but they did ask if I'd informed my referee that I had named them on my application, which I had.

Just the one as well was it?

Just the one as well was it?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just got the Invite to Stage 2 tests. High 300's for Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jpk1986

Got offered garda headquarters in the phoenix park, just wondering if anyone else has started there and what is it like, is it fixed hours or flexi time, probable all depends on which section your in, also was wondering if my 2 years service as a TCO counts towards my increment,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

The girlfriend has been contacted and they will be calling her employer soon enough. :)

I used to work in a semi state agency and a bank both of which no longer exists(not my doing) having to think long and hard whom I can references off if I get called for an interview.

jaffusmax wrote:
    I used to work in a semi state agency and a bank both of which no longer exists(not my doing) having to think long and hard whom I can references off if I get called for an interview.

Jaysus, that's bad luck!

Jaysus, that's bad luck!

Especially at the bank, we were just given a letter confirming position and employment but all our hard works seems like a waste as there is nobody to vouch for former employees!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 shluffles

Just got the Invite to Stage 2 tests. High 300's for Cork

Super! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 shluffles

If you have no-one else, would it be possible to name an ex-boss who would know you, even though they work somewhere else? My current boss has been in the job a year but I also named another who held the position for a few years prior, but now working elsewhere. I don't know if the second will be contacted, but it wasn't brought up at the interview.

Or if you do get called for interview, call PAS and explain the situation. Most probably it's happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Got an unexpected message there inviting me to take part in stage 2, nearly a year since the applications started!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Padge1987

What areas are ye been called for stage 2 I'm on Waterford/Wexford panel ?? Still waiting to be called :(

shluffles wrote: »
    If you have no-one else, would it be possible to name an ex-boss who would know you, even though they work somewhere else? My current boss has been in the job a year but I also named another who held the position for a few years prior, but now working elsewhere. I don't know if the second will be contacted, but it wasn't brought up at the interview.

Or if you do get called for interview, call PAS and explain the situation. Most probably it's happened before.

Think ill ring them should I get called. Hope I am not jumping the gun though! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Padge1987 wrote: »
    What areas are ye been called for stage 2 I'm on Waterford/Wexford panel ?? Still waiting to be called :(

longford,leitrim,sligo and dublin.. not sure which region this is for, i ranked fairly poorly for both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Padge1987

longford,leitrim,sligo and dublin.. not sure which region this is for, i ranked fairly poorly for both

Thanks I hope I hear soon always wondering and checking !!!!! Best luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

jpk1986 wrote: »
    Got offered garda headquarters in the phoenix park, just wondering if anyone else has started there and what is it like, is it fixed hours or flexi time, probable all depends on which section your in, also was wondering if my 2 years service as a TCO counts towards my increment,

Your 2 years will count and you should probably be placed on a higher point on the CO scale due to your previous service BUT the onus is on the employee to make a claim for incremental credit, it won't automatically be done for you. So when you start contact HR straight away about this. They may ask you to provide proof from you previous contracts before approving your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kitty3kids

Just got an unexpected message to sit the supervised tests. Nice surprise nearly a year after the application. I'm in Dublin btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 randofmact

Hey everyone....what a thread.

I've been keeping an eye on this for my girlfriend whos not a member. Shes Cork region, got her Stage 2 results ranked 89 in March, then passed her interview and got a notification on 5th of this month.

I see there have been a few people from Cork who've had calls regarding checking references, etc. I'm just wondering what positions you guys were? Do you expect a person positioned at 89 to get offered a position? I know you guys can't know for sure but just wondering what you gut feeling would be.

Would I be right in thinking that there is not necessarily 88 people ahead of my oh, as the rankings were prior to interview, and we've been told you keep your ranking. So, if anyone ranked higher but didn't pass the interview wouldn't that mean there could be less that 88 ahead of her.

Sorry for all the questions, but she thinks she's waaaaayyy down the line from getting a call/position.

Thanks

randofmact wrote: »
    Hey everyone....what a thread.

I've been keeping an eye on this for my girlfriend whos not a member. Shes Cork region, got her Stage 2 results ranked 89 in March, then passed her interview and got a notification on 5th of this month.

I see there have been a few people from Cork who've had calls regarding checking references, etc. I'm just wondering what positions you guys were? Do you expect a person positioned at 89 to get offered a position? I know you guys can't know for sure but just wondering what you gut feeling would be.

Would I be right in thinking that there is not necessarily 88 people ahead of my oh, as the rankings were prior to interview, and we've been told you keep your ranking. So, if anyone ranked higher but didn't pass the interview wouldn't that mean there could be less that 88 ahead of her.

Sorry for all the questions, but she thinks she's waaaaayyy down the line from getting a call/position.

Thanks
    I saw that more are called to stage 2 for Cork so that would suggest to me that they think there will be quite a few positions coming up. I think she should be optimistic.

eroc79 wrote: »
    I saw that more are called to stage 2 for Cork so that would suggest to me that they think there will be quite a few positions coming up. I think she should be optimistic.

Saw as much myself, and was thinking the same thing...why call more unless they intend giving positions to most of the people who passed the last interview round.

We're based near Fermoy, and she was wondering...if offered a job in Bandon or somewhere, could she refuse it and wait for a position closer to home. The city would be fine. I assume thats where most of the posts will be anyway?!

Actually, what offices are in Cork that are part of this panel; is it the likes of hospitals, revenue offices, council offices, social welfare, etc?

Also, are all these positions going to be on the Clerical Officers pay scale, and am I right or wrong in thinking they increment every 6 months?

Saw as much myself, and was thinking the same thing...why call more unless they intend giving positions to most of the people who passed the last interview round.

We're based near Fermoy, and she was wondering...if offered a job in Bandon or somewhere, could she refuse it and wait for a position closer to home. The city would be fine. I assume thats where most of the posts will be anyway?!

Actually, what offices are in Cork that are part of this panel; is it the likes of hospitals, revenue offices, council offices, social welfare, etc?

Also, are all these positions going to be on the Clerical Officers pay scale, and am I right or wrong in thinking they increment every 6 months?

I'm near fermoy too. I'm hoping most will be in the city, but not holding out much hope they'll be any closer to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'd imagine most jobs will be in the city. There's a few smaller SW and court offices in the county and the Dept of Agriculture is in Clonakilty.

Increment is every year subject to adequate job performance.

Thanks for the feedback lads....

Would be interested in hearing from people on their rankings, and job offers. I know you were top 10 eroc79, and have had reference checks right?...anyone else for Cork region?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

Has anyone been called to stage 2 tests for KK/Carlow, Laois/Offaly/Westmeath or Limerick/Tipp? I have ranked early 300 for KK/Carlow 400 Laois/Offaly and mid 500 for Limerick/Tipp in stage 1 tests. Is there any hope of being called to the next stage?

Advertisement