Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Thanks. I haven't been asked for it yet but I'll try and make a start on it this week. These things can take a while to come through.

No harm, the other discussions sounded like people felt under pressure having to go to Foreign Police forces to get references.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭arbour

jayk99 wrote: »
    I think it may have something to do with how the vetting is processed. I just don't understand why they contacted me originally to say they were contacting my references and over 2 months later not a peep from them. Are you early, mid or late 800s?

My friend was mid 800's and was contacted in April for references and told going for vetting. Wasn't placed until 6th July. Was placed in an office that has access to alot of sensitive information so they had to get a more thorough vetting. This is what held up the process. Maybe you are in a similar position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Slydice wrote: »
    No harm, the other discussions sounded like people felt under pressure having to go to Foreign Police forces to get references.

I just applied online there for police vetting for one country. It seemed easy enough to request. I just filled in an application form and uploaded scans of my passport and proof of current address. It cost about €20.

I wish I could say the same for the second country. It looks like I'll have to go off and get fingerprinted and the whole process might cost in the region of €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mrspepperpot

Has anyone has been asked to provide police clearance from abroad?

I read somewhere that they only seek clearance from abroad if you lived our of Ireland for more than two or three years. I can't remembver exactly how long it was but I remember thinking I lived out for under a year and it didn't apply to me. Have they asked you to provide it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I read somewhere that they only seek clearance from abroad if you lived our of Ireland for more than two or three years. I can't remembver exactly how long it was but I remember thinking I lived out for under a year and it didn't apply to me. Have they asked you to provide it?

I lived outside Ireland in 2 countries for about 28 months (not consecutively though). I haven't been asked to provide clearance yet but I imagine I will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lmdke

I got the letter last Friday 3rd and got phone call Thurs to say I was starting August 10th so exactly a month but it does seem to vary. They do seem to be flexible with start dates and understand that some will need to give more notice than others.

Thank you Strawberry66, hopefully they will give me the same kind of notice as you got!

I just applied online there for police vetting for one country. It seemed easy enough to request. I just filled in an application form and uploaded scans of my passport and proof of current address. It cost about €20.

I wish I could say the same for the second country. It looks like I'll have to go off and get fingerprinted and the whole process might cost in the region of €200.

Wow! That's damn expensive. I think it's free in Ireland. Though, maybe the Gardai charge foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I've two questions in relation to the application is it necessary to provide a reference for your current role, I'm not sure yet if i want my current employer to know that i am applying for this role?

Do they ring all three references?

Quoting this as am also interested in this question? Starting a different new job soon and don't want to have to tell them a few weeks in that I need them as a reference for somewhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Strawberry66

sillysocks wrote: »
    Quoting this as am also interested in this question? Starting a different new job soon and don't want to have to tell them a few weeks in that I need them as a reference for somewhere else!

This is the paragraph on the application form.......

Should a candidate come under consideration for appointment, the Public Appointments Service will conduct such enquiries as are deemed necessary, including reference checking. Please provide the names of 3 referees that we may consult, including your present employer (if applicable). We may also contact your previous employers. Your present employer will not be contacted until all other checks have been completed; we will notify you before we propose to do this.

If you have listed them as previous employers, they might contact them.

If you think the employer does not want to be contacted for a reference but you already listed them, let publicjobs know, by email, that the employer does not want to be contacted for references.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Thanks for the response guys, that's the paragraph on the application I'm referring to, I think what's throwing me is the if applicable in brackets...
    Please provide the names of 3 referees that we may consult, including your present employer (if applicable)

So i take it as one of my three references I have to give my current as it is stated in this sentence? I haven't supplied any references yet as i'm only filling in the application form?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Thanks for the response guys, that's the paragraph on the application I'm referring to, I think what's throwing me is the if applicable in brackets...

So i take it as one of my three references I have to give my current as it is stated in this sentence? I haven't supplied any references yet as i'm only filling in the application form?

If applicable means if you are currently working. So yes since you are working right now they would expect a reference from your current employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Thanks Tipsy McSwagger for clarifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

But ye all got that level of training?

Im not sure about the one to one as the work we are doing is different. But yes to the courses or at least will be in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭paddycakes

Just got my letter with an offer in Cork! They'll be in touch with a start date! Delighted!!! Going to Tusla Family and Child services out in Wilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Strawberry66

paddycakes wrote: »
    Just got my letter with an offer in Cork! They'll be in touch with a start date! Delighted!!! Going to Tusla Family and Child services out in Wilton.

Congrats paddycakes. Great news!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Congrats paddy. Been a long wait! Where were you ranked roughly again?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

Congratulations. Great to see more cork positions happening

Was in the 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gems1183

Hi guys is jeans and a tshirt ok to wear for the stage 2 tests? I know they said comfortable but I don't want to be too casual and everyone else is smart :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

gems1183 wrote:
    Hi guys is jeans and a tshirt ok to wear for the stage 2 tests? I know they said comfortable but I don't want to be too casual and everyone else is smart

It'll make no difference, you'll just be sitting down at a computer and no one will pay attention to what you're wearing at all. Jeans and T-shirt will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

gems1183 wrote: »
    Hi guys is jeans and a tshirt ok to wear for the stage 2 tests? I know they said comfortable but I don't want to be too casual and everyone else is smart :)

We're watching from behind the white boards, so I'd encourage anyone sitting these exams to wear formal clothing, morning dress if before 5pm, black tie if you've been called for an evening session (or white tie if you have been invited to a foreign affairs do--a man in a black polo neck will have delivered your invitation to these tests). Extra style points for those of you possessing a Trinners tie. Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lmdke

Congrats, at least the wait is over now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

belacqua_ wrote: »
    We're watching from behind the white boards, so I'd encourage anyone sitting these exams to wear formal clothing, morning dress if before 5pm, black tie if you've been called for an evening session (or white tie if you have been invited to a foreign affairs do--a man in a black polo neck will have delivered your invitation to these tests). Extra style points for those of you possessing a Trinners tie. Good luck!!

...ah grand, explains why I got a PO job in the Taoiseachs Dept. after I showed up high in a gimp costume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Askabout

Have a Stage 3 interview on Thurs, what sort of questions should I expect? I'm a bit nervous as in the process since June 2014 and I really want it to go well, any advice? Thanks

Askabout wrote:
    Have a Stage 3 interview on Thurs, what sort of questions should I expect? I'm a bit nervous as in the process since June 2014 and I really want it to go well, any advice? Thanks

From my interview, and I know it's not the same experience that everyone had, be prepared for very specific questions about the individual points in the competencies, not just the overall competency - as in not just 'tell me about your experience of working in a team', but specific examples relating to the bullet points underneath that on the competencies list. I wasn't expecting such detailed questions and it really threw me in the interview.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mrspepperpot

From my interview, and I know it's not the same experience that everyone had, be prepared for very specific questions about the individual points in the competencies, not just the overall competency - as in not just 'tell me about your experience of working in a team', but specific examples relating to the bullet points underneath that on the competencies list. I wasn't expecting such detailed questions and it really threw me in the interview.

Good luck!

I agree with Junipegreen, definitely be prepared on the specific bullet points not just the general competency...I was a bit thrown by it being so detailed. There was a huge variety of questions, not just tell me about team work etc.

Just got a call asking how much notice I've to give in my current job. Things seem to be speeding up now!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gems1183

It'll make no difference, you'll just be sitting down at a computer and no one will pay attention to what you're wearing at all. Jeans and T-shirt will be grand.

Thanks a mill

• Advertisement

gems1183 wrote:
    Thanks a mill

No probs. Best of luck!

Advertisement