Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

I got kicked out at 92% but assume by what I read in the online info that this % is saved and I can go back in and complete when it is back online. At least I hope this is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cos67

Just got this email, for everyone out there who are starting to panic about their time slot.

Dear candidate,
    Due to the exceptional number of applicants (over 28,000) for the Clerical campaign you may be experiencing delays in accessing the Assessment Questionnaire. To ensure that all applicants who have not yet completed the Questionnaire are allotted sufficient time to complete it, your test window will remain open until 15.00h Saturday, 19 July 2014 and not the time/date indicated to you previously.
    If you have already completed the Questionnaire please ignore the message above.

Regards,
    Clerical 2014
    Recruitment Unit

everyone will probably get the same one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cos67

Sorry not email!! Text to log in to public jobs then it was in messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 catwalkqueen

Lucky3307 wrote: »
    Cat walk queen the same thing with me plus my computer started to act up kicking me out: I did notice at one stage while rushing against my computer that the questions had changed around so I sorted them but I'm beginning to wonder now in my hast did I change all and answer the questions as I would have liked; any suggestions such I ring some one or is it to late IOI

I have no idea what to do. On about the billionth time I got kicked out and let back in, the questions had changed order again - in both Sections A and B and it hadn't recorded all my answers in Section B, so I had to reanswer those (bearing in mind that I had to also recheck that the answers that were there were the ones I was happy with as the order of questions had changed). I've submitted it now but don't feel any confidence that it's gone in as I want it to. I hope for the best though :-)

It's really weird that these types of errors are happening. I doubt calling someone will help as I'd say they're inundated but I emailed through my comments and asked for reassurance on the questions-out-of-order issue. You could also leave feedback at the end? Who knows?

The problem I see is, if you don't get through to the next round, you'll never know if it was because you didn't fit the profile or your questions were so messed up, you didn't fit the profile through no fault of your own.

Sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

Tarzana wrote: »
    28,000 seems to be the official number according to whoever got an email from them. Keep applying for other jobs, people, I know I am! :)

Sorry I seem to be incorrect at 63,000. 28,000 seems to be correct, we have a good chance so :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Maggiesims wrote: »
    Sorry I seem to be incorrect at 63,000. 28,000 seems to be correct, we have a good chance so :D

A better chance than the 11,000 who applied for 100 Garda posts..........
    Its all relative- the computer tests are relentless- a couple of guesses- and you're out- or if you're running out of time and leave a few blanks- it could be the decider between whether or not you make the cut. On the plus side- it would appear there is no negative marking- so if you're running out of time- guessing the last few- but ensuring you have something down for them- would appear to be the way to go.......

Even in internal competitions- the number of candidates are astounding- one recent one had 1,200 candidates for 14 posts.........

To be 100% honest- 28,000 doesn't seem to be out the realms of possibility at all- its entirely in keeping with whats been happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

have they mentioned how many roles are on offer at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

A better chance than the 11,000 who applied for 100 Garda posts..........
    Its all relative- the computer tests are relentless- a couple of guesses- and you're out- or if you're running out of time and leave a few blanks- it could be the decider between whether or not you make the cut. On the plus side- it would appear there is no negative marking- so if you're running out of time- guessing the last few- but ensuring you have something down for them- would appear to be the way to go.......

Even in internal competitions- the number of candidates are astounding- one recent one had 1,200 candidates for 14 posts.........

To be 100% honest- 28,000 doesn't seem to be out the realms of possibility at all- its entirely in keeping with whats been happening.

Do you know how many jobs are up for grabs in the Public Service ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Does anyone have any idea how many vacancies there might be? Even a ballpark.

I haven't seen it anywhere.......only thing I HAVE seen , is an internal mail sent round that said "It was likely most positions would be based in Dublin" , thats why am asking how it can be said that 28,000 had a better chance than 11,000 in for 100 jobs......I'm not being cheeky btw, just asking...

• Advertisement

davydoc wrote: »
    Do you know how many jobs are up for grabs in the Public Service ?

Its a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.......
    It depends on lots of different factors- not least of which will be how many people retire- and at what grades. Some Departments have a better chance of getting replacement staff than others- its impossible to tell with any degree of accuracy- but something you might consider- is where TCOs were placed this summer- it might give you an indication. Contrary to what most people think- most civil service posts are not in Dublin. There have been several decentralisation schemes since the late 70's- less than 1/3 of all civil service staff now work in Dublin......

How many posts there might be- and where they might be located- is speculation.

I worked in it for a year , here in Donegal, and to a man or woman , every SINGLE permanent member of staff had to go to Dublin initially, and then apply for a transfer out - apparently you do this as soon as you start - and the average seemed to be 2-3 years in Dublin, then transferred. It's the same in the north, they all seem to start in Belfast, and then get transferred back closer to home. This, though, is just my experience of people I've met.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lucky3307

I have no idea what to do. On about the billionth time I got kicked out and let back in, the questions had changed order again - in both Sections A and B and it hadn't recorded all my answers in Section B, so I had to reanswer those (bearing in mind that I had to also recheck that the answers that were there were the ones I was happy with as the order of questions had changed). I've submitted it now but don't feel any confidence that it's gone in as I want it to. I hope for the best though :-)

It's really weird that these types of errors are happening. I doubt calling someone will help as I'd say they're inundated but I emailed through my comments and asked for reassurance on the questions-out-of-order issue. You could also leave feedback at the end? Who knows?

The problem I see is, if you don't get through to the next round, you'll never know if it was because you didn't fit the profile or your questions were so messed up, you didn't fit the profile through no fault of your own.

Sigh!

Thanks a million for the info but just wondering which of the email did you sent your comments too !!! Thanks again ioi

Really, I think PAS should shoulder SOME of the blame, they knew how many were being invited to test, should've anticipated high volumes of traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Does anyone have any idea how many vacancies there might be? Even a ballpark.

Not as many as you would think, in my department we had 3 people in this week on the Gateway scheme and they will be with us 3 days a week for the next 22 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lauramarie13

EVERYONE!

I'm really sorry, it was a big mix up on my part! I really did think the text was so strange, and I posted it to see if anyone could help shed some light on the situation for me (which ye did) but I'm sorry for causing all the confusion! It's all figured out now, but thanks so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Keep trying. You will eventually get to complete it. I just got mine finished after being kicked out several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Why the heck can't they go back to the old-fashioned way - and call everyone for written aptitude tests in various locations?

It's fairer - and there would be none of the hardship and anxiety caused to candidates due to this current 'debacle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Why the heck can't they go back to the old-fashioned way - and call everyone for written aptitude tests in various locations?

It's fairer - and there would be none of the hardship and anxiety caused to candidates due to this current 'debacle'.

Call it another own goal to the small gods of technology. Were it this way back in the day, TK Whitaker* would have got on the mailboat to Liverpool and never looked back.

*Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Phantasos

I worked in it for a year , here in Donegal, and to a man or woman , every SINGLE permanent member of staff had to go to Dublin initially, and then apply for a transfer out - apparently you do this as soon as you start - and the average seemed to be 2-3 years in Dublin, then transferred. It's the same in the north, they all seem to start in Belfast, and then get transferred back closer to home. This, though, is just my experience of people I've met.

Good luck to us all, expected to live off ****ty wages in Dublin for years, hoping to get a transfer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just finished it in one go without been freezed out, took about 25 mins. The key was (at least for me) to allow about 25 - 30 seconds after you submit for it to go onto the next part, the progress bar freezes in your browser and holds at a third of the way for about that time then goes onto the next bit, resist the temptation to exit and restart! :)

It's probably a lot cheaper to do it this way.

Phantasos wrote: »
    Good luck to us all, expected to live off ****ty wages in Dublin for years, hoping to get a transfer!

There really should be a Dublin allowance. ~€21,000 would go a lot further in Longford (for example) than Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

There really should be a Dublin allowance. ~€21,000 would go a lot further in Longford (for example) than Dublin!

True, though 28,000 people seem happy enough to go for it.

True, though 28,000 people seem happy enough to go for it.

Because 28,000 people really need a job! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

It's 24,800 applicants, or so I heard from a source close to a source in Govt. HR...
    Due to the exceptional number of applicants (over 28,000) for the Clerical campaign you may be experiencing delays in accessing the Assessment Questionnaire. To ensure that all applicants who have not yet completed the Questionnaire are allotted sufficient time to complete it, your test window will remain open until 15.00h Saturday, 19 July 2014 and not the time/date indicated to you previously.
    If you have already completed the Questionnaire please ignore the message above.

So say there's 200 positions.

That means people have a 124/1 shot of getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

One bottle of wine in me. Lets assume the figures are correct. How many of them are students looking for a summer job ? Right ...that a few grand off the top to start with. Even if they get it - they're gone come October.

How many people will give up, get better paying jobs, are waiting for the EO competition, are using this for practice ? Another few grand.

Looking better ?

Then you have to do what everybody else does - assume you're the best person there is for the job and its their loss if they don't know it.

Everybody in here has displayed an ability to knock a few sentences together. Clarity of thought is evident. Some of us might even be able to add and subtract.

One bottle of wine in me. Lets assume the figures are correct. How many of them are students looking for a summer job ? Right ...that a few grand off the top to start with. Even if they get it - they're gone come October.

I'd say by the time the supervised aptitudes tests and interviews are done, it'll be back to college time!

• Advertisement

Have a look at the back of the CPSU magazine- there are around 200 people seeking transfers from one part of the country to another.

Head-to-head transfers are a lot more common- than any other method of getting from location A to location B.........

Advertisement