Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jsherlock1

Podbrdo wrote:
    I'm in low 30s haven't heard a thing
    Same here. I'm number 17 and really hoping to get athlone. Rang PAS last week to ask if they had an indication of when things would move and was told they are waiting for confirmation of how many vacancies they have so it sounds like it may be another while yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Orlsheen

I got called for the Stage 3 interview for Longford/Leitrim/Sligo too. I am no.67 if that is of any help to anyone. I have a big question though, I am currently 6 months pregnant. How will this effect my application? Do I mention it or say nothing, I can probably get away with just looking overweight???

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bumbleton

JSherlock, I'm 2nd for the same panel and I haven't heard anything yet either. I rang today and they said that there are vacancies coming up in Tullamore and Athlone, that I would probably be contacted within the next week or two at which point the next stage is clearance where they will check my references. Then after that "thinks should move pretty fast, probably about 2 or so weeks until you get your start date". I hope this helps and puts your mind at ease.

Edit: Also, Orlsheen. I wouldn't mention it at all and legally they are not allowed to ask as far as I'm aware. Furthermore the civil service tends to be more okay with that sort of thing than say a private company would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jsherlock1

Bumbleton wrote:
    stage
    That's great, give me a better idea of timeline! My boss is heading on holidays for 3 weeks tomorrow so I gave her a heads up in case she gets a reference checking call while she is away! So hopefully we will be in our jobs by end of September/ mid October?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Orlsheen wrote: »
    I got called for the Stage 3 interview for Longford/Leitrim/Sligo too. I am no.67 if that is of any help to anyone. I have a big question though, I am currently 6 months pregnant. How will this effect my application? Do I mention it or say nothing, I can probably get away with just looking overweight???

You'll be fine. The goverment, of all employers, can't discriminate because someone is pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 GoggleWoggle

Best of luck to all of you who started in Limerick today.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭budget1984

Orlsheen wrote: »

Hi, Do you mind me asking when your interview is. I have my interview over but Im really interested in Longford/ Leitrim area. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CBGirl

Anyone know the timeline between them asking for your current employers details & actually ringing them? I gave them his details last Tues but he hasn't been contacted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ancatdubh15

I have passed the interview for the Galway/Clare region. Just wondering if anyone has any idea where the jobs might be for this region?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Hi archie199,

Many thanks for the info, best of luck with the results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 theaxel132

my self and a friend were ranked 363 in cork and had stage 2 on 02/07/15.

She called the office and was told the results of the test would be online in 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mhana

budget1984 wrote: »
    Hi, Do you mind me asking when your interview is. I have my interview over but Im really interested in Longford/ Leitrim area. Thanks

I have my interview next Monday, the 17th, for Sligo/Leitrim/Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sange112000

would anyone have any advice, I've been called to interview next week, I am currently 35 weeks pregnant and obviously there will be no hiding this, could this be an issue for passing the interview stage or starting a position?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Strawberry66

Best of luck to all of you who started in Limerick today.

Thanks GoggleWoggle. Got on great. 14 started today so good bunch of newbies!! Nice group too. Have you heard anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bnr82

would anyone have any advice, I've been called to interview next week, I am currently 35 weeks pregnant and obviously there will be no hiding this, could this be an issue for passing the interview stage or starting a position?

I sat the EO interview in June at 33 weeks pregnant.I had been worried about the same thing as you.im not currently working in the civil service.i've since found out I passed and placed on the EO panel.I am going through the clearance stage at the moment.so I def wouldn't worry about it having any impact on your interview results. Not sure how it will all play out when it comes job offers while I'm on maternity leave, will just have to wait and see as I'm due next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mquinnmullally

I got a letter today and a phone call less than an hour later offering me a position in the Revenue Commission in Kilkenny. I'm really torn what to do, Waterford is my first choice in location. But that is not my main reason I'm torn. I've three children and the eldest is only going to be starting pre school this September. I have been a stay at home mum since my eldest was born and while I do want to go back to work (eventually) I just don't think I'm ready yet. My youngest is only 1.5 years and I just couldn't imagine being away from her or her sisters full time. Plus the cost of childcare, cost of transport and the 40 min commute each way, would mean that my family would be down about €6000 a year. I was ready to say no but I was talking to a person I know who works for the land commisson in Waterford and she said that I would be crazy to turn it down. Firstly that another competition might not come up for a long time, etc and secondly that as far as she was aware the only people who would be looking for staff in Waterford were the Dep. Of Social Development and that it wasn't a great place to work. She said that if I took position in revenue that at least I would be in and if in I could apply for transfer to Waterford and additionally I could apply for parental leave and or part time. So now I don't know what to do. I'm going to write to the revenue commission with questions regarding how long I would have to be in before I could use parental leave, I read somewhere online that it would be 3 months. I really can't see myself working full time for years, not when my children are so small. To be honest I didn't think things would happen so quickly...

Bnr82 wrote: »
    I sat the EO interview in June at 33 weeks pregnant.I had been worried about the same thing as you.im not currently working in the civil service.i've since found out I passed and placed on the EO panel.I am going through the clearance stage at the moment.so I def wouldn't worry about it having any impact on your interview results. Not sure how it will all play out when it comes job offers while I'm on maternity leave, will just have to wait and see as I'm due next week.

oh I really appreciate your response, thank you so much
    Can I ask if you mentioned your pregnancy in your interview or just didn't mention it at all?

I got a letter today and a phone call less than an hour later offering me a position in the Revenue Commission in Kilkenny. I'm really torn what to do, Waterford is my first choice in location. But that is not my main reason I'm torn. I've three children and the eldest is only going to be starting pre school this September. I have been a stay at home mum since my eldest was born and while I do want to go back to work (eventually) I just don't think I'm ready yet. My youngest is only 1.5 years and I just couldn't imagine being away from her or her sisters full time. Plus the cost of childcare, cost of transport and the 40 min commute each way, would mean that my family would be down about €6000 a year. I was ready to say no but I was talking to a person I know who works for the land commisson in Waterford and she said that I would be crazy to turn it down. Firstly that another competition might not come up for a long time, etc and secondly that as far as she was aware the only people who would be looking for staff in Waterford were the Dep. Of Social Development and that it wasn't a great place to work. She said that if I took position in revenue that at least I would be in and if in I could apply for transfer to Waterford and additionally I could apply for parental leave and or part time. So now I don't know what to do. I'm going to write to the revenue commission with questions regarding how long I would have to be in before I could use parental leave, I read somewhere online that it would be 3 months. I really can't see myself working full time for years, not when my children are so small. To be honest I didn't think things would happen so quickly...

I completely understand where you are coming from - I've 4 kids and the youngest will only be a few months old x

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bnr82

oh I really appreciate your response, thank you so much
    Can I ask if you mentioned your pregnancy in your interview or just didn't mention it at all?

I did mention it briefly at one point as they were asking me about some professional exams I've been sitting and when I expected to complete them.it would have been more strange not to bring up the pregnancy as it impacts on when I next sit exams. I think if it comes up in conversation naturally I'd make a mention of it, otherwise you shouldn't feel like you have to explain yourself.As you say at 35 weeks it is going to be obvious anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lmdke

Hi, Can I ask what number you were on the Kilkenny panel? I was really hoping to get revenue in Kilkenny but I have not heard anything yet! Thanks

• Advertisement

lmdke wrote: »
    Hi, Can I ask what number you were on the Kilkenny panel? I was really hoping to get revenue in Kilkenny but I have not heard anything yet! Thanks

If I remember correctly I was 24 on the Kilkenny panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GoggleWoggle

Thanks GoggleWoggle. Got on great. 14 started today so good bunch of newbies!! Nice group too. Have you heard anything yet?

Oh that is great - glad to hear it went well for you :-) Just got word (literally letter & phone call together) I will be starting in the CG with the next bunch September 14th :-) It is perfect timing as I had to give a months notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭AprilMayJune

What number are you on the Waterford panel? Have you asked pas what number they have reached in Waterford. I know of two departments in Waterford that are looking for clerical officers from the panel and neither are social welfare so I wouldn't dismiss waiting outright.

What number are you on the Waterford panel? Have you asked pas what number they have reached in Waterford. I know of two departments in Waterford that are looking for clerical officers from the panel and neither are social welfare so I wouldn't dismiss waiting outright.

I just called them up and they said I was 154 on the original panel but that doesn't factor in the second stage testing. The have called up to the 70s in Waterford / Wexford. I also asked when the panel would last till and she said next summer. I think I will probably wait. It would take me 10 minutes to get into Waterford compared to 40 mins to Kilkenny. Plus the longer I push it back the older my children would be, at least next year I'll have 1 in junior infants, 1 in montisorri and my youngest will be in play school part time anyway so would be more affordable to take work. I use to work in the social welfare office in N. Ireland for 4 plus years so if I end up there I can't imagine it too different or even worse than that

I just called them up and they said I was 154 on the original panel but that doesn't factor in the second stage testing. The have called up to the 70s in Waterford / Wexford. I also asked when the panel would last till and she said next summer. I think I will probably wait. It would take me 10 minutes to get into Waterford compared to 40 mins to Kilkenny. Plus the longer I push it back the older my children would be, at least next year I'll have 1 in junior infants, 1 in montisorri and my youngest will be in play school part time anyway so would be more affordable to take work. I use to work in the social welfare office in N. Ireland for 4 plus years so if I end up there I can't imagine it too different or even worse than that

So if you are on the panel and get called for a position you can pass on it and wait a few months for another position?

So if you are on the panel and get called for a position you can pass on it and wait a few months for another position?

No I will pass on the Kilkenny position due to location and wait for a position to come up in Waterford which based on my position on the list won't probably be for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭budget1984

hi, Does anyone have any idea if there will be many vacancies in Longford area?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Omc1

Anyone heard from revenue yet that are starting on September 7th?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Omc1 wrote: »
    Anyone heard from revenue yet that are starting on September 7th?

No, nothing yet from them. Hopefully we will hear by the end of the week, or next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

carleigh wrote: »
    No, nothing yet from them. Hopefully we will hear by the end of the week, or next week.

Are you guys waiting for limerick ?

Advertisement