Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mr. A

For any period of unemployment I think. I had to get one

Correct! Even if you are currently working, you need a listing from SW of all the periods you were in receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Does anyone know how long the advanced vetting takes?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

For any period of unemployment I think. I had to get one

I only had to give one for my last period of unemployment, as in the one immediately before starting my current TCO role.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

No problem I left a job to take a clerical officer position 8 years ago for family friendly reasons. I have a masters and a cima qualification - I've reached the top 5 in 4 promotion competitions but no position has come up where I live so had turn them all down. After 8 years I take home €400 because of pension deductions and I've yet to get term time because everything - term time job sharing etc has a waiting list.

Did you have the Masters and CIMA when you took the CO position or did you complete these during your CO job? I have 2/3 of a masters done part-time, so would be finishing this off in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lmdke

Does anyone know how long the advanced vetting takes?

From previous posts I believe it takes 6-8 weeks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭AprilMayJune

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    Did you have the Masters and CIMA when you took the CO position or did you complete these during your CO job? I have 2/3 of a masters done part-time, so would be finishing this off in a few months.

Before I took the job. Thought it was a good move as I was starting a family but I seriously underestimated how hard it is to get promoted, how little the increments give you and how much I would be deducted.

lmdke wrote: »
    From previous posts I believe it takes 6-8 weeks !

Thanks. People on the panel after me are getting offered positions so I'm just wondering if they're doing the advanced vetting on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lmdke

Thanks. People on the panel after me are getting offered positions so I'm just wondering if they're doing the advanced vetting on me.

I'm not sure but I think you get a form to fill in if they are doing the advanced vetting, Maybe someone on here who has done it can correct me if I am wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmerG28

Hi John. If they're doing advanced vetting on you they send out another form in the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 clonmacart

Hi,

This is a really naive sounding question, but what did the male attendees of the interviews wear/intend to wear to the interviews? I've a feeling that a suit is the way to go, but I don't have one and don't have a huge amount money on JS as you can imagine.

Any kind of guide or advice would be great.

Thanks!

P.S - Good luck to all interviewees!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

clonmacart wrote: »
    Hi,

This is a really naive sounding question, but what did the male attendees of the interviews wear/intend to wear to the interviews? I've a feeling that a suit is the way to go, but I don't have one and don't have a huge amount money on JS as you can imagine.

Thanks!

I wore a suit. At the very least wear a shirt and tie with trousers. Suit would be preferable or trousers, shirt and tie with jacket.

clonmacart wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks!

I wore a suit but if you're stuck go for a shirt, tie and trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 laura13579

anyone who done stage2 in july for the west get results yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

What exactly does a Revenue CO do? I get the feeling (from my short summer experience there years ago) that it's a glorified call centre position, with some counter-work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 peteykav123

Hey,

Anybody that sat stage 2 the end of June in Dublin have you received your results yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Have they usually contacted all three references people gave on the interview form or is it normally just one?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmerG28

sillysocks wrote: »
    Have they usually contacted all three references people gave on the interview form or is it normally just one?

They just contacted my employer at the time. Didn't bother with past ones

sillysocks wrote: »

I gave 3 references. They contacted my current employer but they also wanted a reference from an employer I didn't put on my list of references. I worked for a multinational for a year but had no manager for 90% of my time with the company so I didn't put anyone down. I had to dig through emails from a few years ago to try and find a name. They didn't contact my other 2 references.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I gave 3 references. They contacted my current employer but they also wanted a reference from an employer I didn't put on my list of references. I worked for a multinational for a year but had no manager for 90% of my time with the company so I didn't put anyone down. I had to dig through emails from a few years ago to try and find a name. They didn't contact my other 2 references.

Thanks. Had a TCO contract in revenue as my last employer, and then worked for a company for ten years so hoping either one of those will do them. Don't really have contacts back further than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Stage 2 Exam results are out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

I'm really am shocked I failed the verbal reasoning, got 289, never felt that it was really difficult, I got on grand with the numerical and information checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭chair28

Not mine there not.... Where did you see it? What part of the country did you do it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Miss Understood

cdsb46 wrote: »
    Stage 2 Exam results are out :)

Delighted! Was full sure I'd messed up on numerical, was there straight from holiday & got hung up spending too much time on one question, but thankfully passed all. And so the waiting for interview begins.. it'll no doubt be a long long wait.

Congrats to all currently being called.

chair28 wrote: »
    Not mine there not.... Where did you see it? What part of the country did you do it in?

Dublin results released

I'm in Dublin.... Haven't got mine yet tho.... Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

"We are currently assigning candidates placed between 1000 & 1110"

I'm stuck at 1237. Even if all of those drop out and they call the next 110 - I'm still 17 out.
    Badly hungover and numerical reasoning isn't helping.

Congrats to all who passed and there'll be another bus along for those that weren't so lucky (and it is mainly luck).

"We are currently assigning candidates placed between 1000 & 1110"

I'm stuck at 1237. Even if all of those drop out and they call the next 110 - I'm still 17 out.
    Badly hungover and numerical reasoning isn't helping.

Congrats to all who passed and there'll be another bus along for those that weren't so lucky (and it is mainly luck).

I'm 2 after you floating voter, Its going to be a long oul wait I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 theaxel132

in cork, just got my level 2 results.

We are currently assigning candidates between places 80 - 109, im at 204, hoping i wont be waiting too long

Do you guys get the text? Congratulations to all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Phantasos wrote: »
    What exactly does a Revenue CO do? I get the feeling (from my short summer experience there years ago) that it's a glorified call centre position, with some counter-work.

It depends on the area of Revenue you are assigned to.

If you get put to PAYE, you'll spend most your time processing post, and will be doing call centre duties too. (with some counter work maybe).

Advertisement