Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

Thanks for clarification JohnMearsheimer, I have actually only selected Dublin region so therefore won't have the opportunity of refusal.

I refused a Revenue position in Dublin as they couldn't tell me where I would be based after the training period. They told me I was off the panel.

Few weeks later I got a call offering me another position. She did say they don't usually do it but she mentioned that they had noted my reason for refusal and were now offering me a new position.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Paudee wrote: »
    I appear to have beaten you on each yet mysteriously lost a hundred odd places in Dublin..

I think it's bizarre that I went up so high after the second exam but I think it was just the math part that got me going - stage 1 math was impossible then stage 2 (for me at least) was just multiplying, adding and percentages which I can do in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mquinnmullally

I think it's bizarre that I went up so high after the second exam but I think it was just the math part that got me going - stage 1 math was impossible then stage 2 (for me at least) was just multiplying, adding and percentages which I can do in my head.

I also think they do not count the number of people who have already been placed. I went from 117 to 24 and that is my reasoning how it happened

lmdke wrote: »
    I really hope that something comes up for you in Waterford, it must be very disappointing to get the offer & not be able to take it. Very, very best of luck with the Waterford panel.

I'm ok to be honest, I made the right decision for my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mr. A

1120 in Dublin. Contacted regarding references last week, posted on my social welfare details on Tuesday - how long does the wait tend to be until they tell you they got all your references? Anyone roughly around my place on the panel in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Mr. A wrote: »
    1120 in Dublin. Contacted regarding references last week, posted on my social welfare details on Tuesday - how long does the wait tend to be until they tell you they got all your references? Anyone roughly around my place on the panel in Dublin?

After the call to check my reference the next contact I got was 7 weeks later to offer me a position!

So they more then likely only contact you if there is a problem with references!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

My references were checked 6 weeks ago and I haven't heard a thing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mr. A

Ravage1616 wrote: »
    After the call to check my reference the next contact I got was 7 weeks later to offer me a position!

So they more then likely only contact you if there is a problem with references!

Interesting Ravage1616, what department did you end up in?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lmdke

Has anyone who was offered Revenue in Kilkenny been given a start date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 yy2015

Has anyone who was offered Revenue in Kilkenny been given a start date yet?

Hi Imdke did you get an offer yet, would you know how far they are at now on Kilkenny/Carlow panel im in the 50s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Interesting Ravage1616, what department did you end up in?

I got offered Revevue in Dublin! Starting in 2 weeks!

yy2015 wrote: »
    Hi Imdke did you get an offer yet, would you know how far they are at now on Kilkenny/Carlow panel im in the 50s

I haven't got the official letter yet but I got a phone call on Tuesday & she said that i would have a letter for revenue in the next week. The post man has just driven past my house again (he must think I am a stalker watching him every day!!). I was number 21 on the panel

I haven't got the official letter yet but I got a phone call on Tuesday & she said that i would have a letter for revenue in the next week. The post man has just driven past my house again (he must think I am a stalker watching him every day!!). I was number 21 on the panel

Congratulations I know you were hoping for revenue in kk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Don't think I did well in my interview. I gave answers to everything but think they thought some where a bit vague even though I did go into detail.

Congrats that great news I wonder will they be taking many on in Kilkenny revenue is it a large dept there

yy2015 wrote: »
    Congrats that great news I wonder will they be taking many on in Kilkenny revenue is it a large dept there

I haven't a clue how big it is or if there are many been taken on. If anyone on here has worked in revenue in Kilkenny maybe they could let us know?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kt1992

jayk99 wrote: »
    Nope didn't tell me anything. He was just asking me about my availability and said the start date etc will be in a letter he's sending out :)

Hey, did you get your letter yet?

Lolli Wick wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have my interview for Carlow/Kilkenny region on 21st Aug, could someone who has already done theirs wallk me through it:
    How many interviewers, how long does the interview last, types of questions I will be asked, any info I should know going in would be very helpful.
    Maybe someone has already done this but the post is very long :)
    Thanks a lot
    Hi do you mind me asking roughly what number you are on Kilkenny Carlow panel after stage 2. The interview I had had 3 interviewers my interview was about 30/40 minutes just prepare answers to the 4 competencies the give u have answers for each one and you will be fine best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I got a reference call during the week. From other posters here, it could be several more weeks before next contact. It might be quicker given the summer holiday period is at an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

If they call you to ask to check references, do they check them straight after or do they wait and check them when they've a starting date for you? As in, could they ring your current employer for a reference, then leave you in a position where you've to tell your boss you've a new job but you could still be there for a couple of months after, not knowing when or where you're going.
    My boss takes it very personally when someone hand in their notice so id imagine he could make life fairly difficult

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

alwaysadub wrote: »
    If they call you to ask to check references, do they check them straight after or do they wait and check them when they've a starting date for you? As in, could they ring your current employer for a reference, then leave you in a position where you've to tell your boss you've a new job but you could still be there for a couple of months after, not knowing when or where you're going.
    My boss takes it very personally when someone hand in their notice so id imagine he could make life fairly difficult

A few posters here seem to have been on that situation. Their current employer has been contacted and then they don't hear anything else for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Hi, when Publicjobs give out positions in a region do they take in consideration your location? Say your region consists of two counties would they try and keep u in your own county?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dawn8585

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Don't think I did well in my interview. I gave answers to everything but think they thought some where a bit vague even though I did go into detail.

Yea i feel d same!! The woman was lovely but the fella seemed to question my answers a bit more. Fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

dawn8585 wrote: »
    Yea i feel d same!! The woman was lovely but the fella seemed to question my answers a bit more. Fingers crossed!!

An interview is meant to be testing, not only to see what you know but if you are going to be dealing with the public, you need to be able to react under pressure and be able to hold your ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jayk99

Kt1992 wrote: »
    Hey, did you get your letter yet?

No not yet! He said I might get the letter by the end of the week so im hoping to get it Monday. Did you get yours yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 tubba

DaisysB wrote: »
    Mid 30's in Kerry & interview is next week.....at last!
    Thanks to everyone who has posted tips - I will be looking back over this thread to help prepare for interview.

Great to finally see some movement in Kerry. Good luck with the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kt1992

jayk99 wrote: »
    No not yet! He said I might get the letter by the end of the week so im hoping to get it Monday. Did you get yours yet? :)

Yeah he said the same to me but hopefully I'll get it tomorrow . I'm dying to know where I'll be going

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

Anyone else get a letter today. Haven't been contacted for references yet but got a letter stating I'm to be assigned to revenue in Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

Lenny17123 wrote: »
    Anyone else get a letter today. Haven't been contacted for references yet but got a letter stating I'm to be assigned to revenue in Limerick!

Yes, we are in the same boat.
    Got letter this morning and have to bring two written references on the start date.
    I emailed them but didn't get date yet.
    Handing in my notice tomorrow anyway as advised.
    Delighted with revenue limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

Idrive wrote:
    Yes, we are in the same boat. Got letter this morning and have to bring two written references on the start date. I emailed them but didn't get date yet. Handing in my notice tomorrow anyway as advised. Delighted with revenue limerick.

Have they called u yet? They haven't advised me to hand in my notice yet. And the letter doesn't say anything about bringing in two written references either.

Advertisement