Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lmdke

Got my start date - Oct 12th.....getting excited now!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jsherlock1

lmdke wrote:

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Miss Understood

Guys,

Sorry to be so rude as to ask, but to those of you who have started, what is your take home?

ETA, got interview for Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

Sorry to be so rude as to ask, but to those of you who have started, what is your take home?

352 take home. Doesnt include union deduction.

Thanks Beginner to this! Very helpful. Union deductions another 8 quid per fortnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Strawberry66

Starting in sarsfield house on Monday how's everyone finding it that already started? Do we get training or are we thrown in at the deep end?? What's working hours like? Nerves are setting in I think

Hi Steph. No need for nerves at all!! 14 of us started last month and all getting on fine. Training varies from section to section. Mine has been mainly on the job training so far and everyone has been so nice. Others have already been on courses and more courses lined up in the coming weeks I'm told. Majority of the building are on flexi. Again depends on your section. I think it's just the call centres that have certain hours they have to cover but they still get flexi around those times. Heard on the grapevine 10 starting Monday so good few with you. Best of luck but you'll be fine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

That's terrible. My take home as a tco is 374 and I thought that was bad enough. I guess for all the perks and flexibility it might be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Is it just certain times of the year that you can apply for civil service jobs? I'm trying to see how to even get called to do a competency exam but am coming up empty-handed. Any advice on how to go about it? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

mud wrote: »
    Is it just certain times of the year that you can apply for civil service jobs? I'm trying to see how to even get called to do a competency exam but am coming up empty-handed. Any advice on how to go about it? Thanks.

The civil service only recruits at certain times. The current CO competition began in the summer of 2014 and will expire in the summer of 2016. The government will probably hold another CO competition after that at some point but no one knows exactly when it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CBGirl

lmdke wrote: »

Congrats! Was that just about a week after you got the letter? I got my letter on Thurs so just wondering what sort of a wait to expect now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lmdke

CBGirl wrote: »
    Congrats! Was that just about a week after you got the letter? I got my letter on Thurs so just wondering what sort of a wait to expect now!

Hi CBGirl, yes that was exactly a week after I got the letter but it seems to vary as some people here got their start date the day after getting their letter!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mquinnmullally

Mamabear wrote: »
    Just wanted to let people know that I've just had a call to check references for the Waterford/Wexford area (I'm in the top 10). It's a long wait!

What number were you after first stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Shelly33

What number are they at in Tipp/limerick at the moment? Is there still people after interview waiting to be placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

akamossy wrote:
    That's terrible. My take home as a tco is 374 and I thought that was bad enough. I guess for all the perks and flexibility it might be worth it.

Sure is, only thing to keep me going is that it will go up. I assume the difference with tco wage is pension deduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Sure is, only thing to keep me going is that it will go up. I assume the difference with tco wage is pension deduction.

We have a personal pension deduction alright which I'm claiming back when I leave. Don't even see the point of it being taken out. It's 12.27 a week and it's not even the main pension deduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

mud wrote: »

Public Appointments service has websites publicjobs.ie (and gradpublicjobs.ie). Most civil service jobs will be on these and an email alert can be created for when they post new competitions. Some civil service departments and public sector bodies (like local authorities) may have other specific jobs on their own websites but the main national job competitions in civil service (e.g. for general COs, other grades, temp. COs) will be on those public jobs sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭archie199

Have my interview Friday morning for Dublin, I was 1252 after the stage 2 aptitude tests.

Anyone interviewing in Dublin next week?

Any tips, style of interview, questions etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

archie199 wrote: »
    Have my interview Friday morning for Dublin, I was 1252 after the stage 2 aptitude tests.

I'm just 30 places behind you, gah me nerves really hope the interview comes soon, I'm TCO at the moment in DFA, would love to be made permanent... those annoyed about how long it takes, 28k applied for these jobs and they aren't bad in comparison to some other organisations, I've been in a recruitment process for 2 years now to get on to a panel

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

Any update on Laois/Offaly/Westmeath anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

Was anyone else asked to bring written references when they started? I just assumed they'd ring or email my references which would have been fine, but instead they've asked me to bring written ones. My old boss has said that they'll write one for me, but they'll only email them directly to the person, so I won't have them on the day.
    Will they accept this? I'm probably blowing this out of proportion but I'm moving counties for this job and worried sick about it now. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

Naydy wrote: »
    Was anyone else asked to bring written references when they started? I just assumed they'd ring or email my references which would have been fine, but instead they've asked me to bring written ones. My old boss has said that they'll write one for me, but they'll only email them directly to the person, so I won't have them on the day.
    Will they accept this? I'm probably blowing this out of proportion but I'm moving counties for this job and worried sick about it now. :(:(

I have to bring two written references also. It was to speed up the process I was told :).
    I'm sure an email would be fine but send an email to whoever you is looking after your application to be sure.

Idrive wrote: »
    I have to bring two written references also. It was to speed up the process I was told :).
    I'm sure an email would be fine but send an email to whoever you is looking after your application to be sure.

Thank you, I will do that. I'm probably over-thinking it at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Idrive wrote: »

Does that mean they aren't ringing your references at all?

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Does that mean they aren't ringing your references at all?

They didn't ring or email mine

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Whistles49

Anna1976 wrote: »
    Any update on Laois/Offaly/Westmeath anyone?

Got a call last week for reference checks but I haven't heard of anyone being offered jobs yet. I'm in the top twenty

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

Whistles49 wrote: »
    Got a call last week for reference checks but I haven't heard of anyone being offered jobs yet. I'm in the top twenty

Well at least that's bit of movement, I knew the top 10 had been called but hadn't heard anything since. Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭svei

Do they always ring after the reference check to let you know all is well? The reason I ask is because my boss is not happy about me leaving and I haven't heard anything since he spoke to PAS last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I've got no references at all apart from the one saying I worked there before, thanks for the service and am welcome to apply again.
    Have a waste of time laugh on Friday at this point.

Do people actually take references seriously anymore ? Most places just say so and so worked here from time x to time y. Anything negative is open to litigation. Positive open to suspicion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bear85

Any movement on Stage 3 Interviews for 100 to 180 in Limerick Tipp? I passed Stage 2 and am in the 200's but just wanted to get an idea of how fast (or slow! ) it's moving.

Advertisement