Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

budget1984 wrote:
    For any one that is already in their new position can u tell me how many days annual leave u get

22 days if I'm not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I've decided to ring them tomorrow about the Cork interview results because if they've assigned up to 120 that means I'm less than 30 people away. Have an offer of a full time job and there's no point in taking it if I'll be leaving in 3 months plus it might cause problems with my reference.

Correction: they've gone up to 125. I'm 20 people away from a position!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭archie199

I've decided to ring them tomorrow about the Cork interview results because if they've assigned up to 120 that means I'm less than 30 people away. Have an offer of a full time job and there's no point in taking it if I'll be leaving in 3 months plus it might cause problems with my reference.

Let us know how it goes. I did my interview the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Orlsheen

10 people started in Social Welfare in Longford on Monday so I've been told - anyone here get offered Longford? Or has anyone in these areas been offered and if so can I ask what number on the panel were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭budget1984

Orlsheen wrote: »
    10 people started in Social Welfare in Longford on Monday so I've been told - anyone here get offered Longford? Or has anyone in these areas been offered and if so can I ask what number on the panel were you?

Hi, yes I have been offered Longford. start in few weeks. I was 26 on that panel. where you hoping to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭svei

I really need some advice if anybody can help please. I just had a call from PAS. I'm in Wexford and they've told me there are as yet no vacancies in Wexford apart from part-time with the HSE (job share). They've offered me Waterford but that's a near 2 hour drive away and I just can't take it. What happens if I accept a part-time role, will I get a chance to go full-time at some stage or how does it work? I'm so disappointed, my current boss is making life very difficult for me since the reference check (he's not happy I'm leaving) so staying put isn't really an option. Does anyone know if there will be any full-time roles coming up in Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭vegasgirl2015

svei wrote: »
    I really need some advice if anybody can help please. I just had a call from PAS. I'm in Wexford and they've told me there are as yet no vacancies in Wexford apart from part-time with the HSE (job share). They've offered me Waterford but that's a near 2 hour drive away and I just can't take it. What happens if I accept a part-time role, will I get a chance to go full-time at some stage or how does it work? I'm so disappointed, my current boss is making life very difficult for me since the reference check (he's not happy I'm leaving) so staying put isn't really an option. Does anyone know if there will be any full-time roles coming up in Wexford?

Oh that's tough to hear, sorry to hear it. If you turn it down i'd imagine you're off the panel. If it was me i'd have to take it and hope something better comes up. Maybe ring up PAS and ask them about going fulltime in the future. How does the part-time work regrds salary? Tell them you would like to consider it but would need to know more about the part time role etc. Hope it works out for you, it's disappointing alright, but if it is meant for you it won't pass you

Oh that's tough to hear, sorry to hear it. If you turn it down i'd imagine you're off the panel. If it was me i'd have to take it and hope something better comes up. Maybe ring up PAS and ask them about going fulltime in the future. How does the part-time work regrds salary? Tell them you would like to consider it but would need to know more about the part time role etc. Hope it works out for you, it's disappointing alright, but if it is meant for you it won't pass you

I asked about going up to full-time and she said that's up to my local office - nothing to do with them. I'll get half the salary for a job share (50%) so that's going to be tough too. I just don't know what to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I asked about going up to full-time and she said that's up to my local office - nothing to do with them. I'll get half the salary for a job share (50%) so that's going to be tough too. I just don't know what to do...

Take the Waterford job. If it doesn't work out you can always leave.

Just to clarify, she did say that I won't be off the panel if I turn it down. She just can't guarantee there'll be any vacancies in Wexford as they've heard nothing from Wexford at all (and they've heard from everywhere else!). It's taking a chance though and I can't really afford to pass up this opportunity.

• Advertisement

Take the Waterford job. If it doesn't work out you can always leave.

I can't take Waterford unfortunately, it'd mean a 4 hour commute each day (and I've kids and a husband that does shift work - just not doable). Jobs don't grow on trees here so I can't just quit either. My choice is between part-time work or take my chances and hold out for a full-time position (if there ever will be one).

taking it depends on how far down on the Wexford panel you are also. I'd take it, especially if the boss was making life hard for you. part time is better than nothing. Nightmare scenario

taking it depends on how far down on the Wexford panel you are also. I'd take it, especially if the boss was making life hard for you. part time is better than nothing. Nightmare scenario

I'm in the top 5 for Waterford/Wexford (so I don't know how many are in Wexford before me) but the way the lady in PAS was talking, she didn't seem to think there'd be any jobs in Wexford.

Thanks for your advice, I'm leaning towards taking the part-time as I can't stay here much longer. I have until tomorrow to decide so I'll be thinking long and hard about it tonight.

Any luck??

I'm in the top 5 for Waterford/Wexford (so I don't know how many are in Wexford before me) but the way the lady in PAS was talking, she didn't seem to think there'd be any jobs in Wexford.

Thanks for your advice, I'm leaning towards taking the part-time as I can't stay here much longer. I have until tomorrow to decide so I'll be thinking long and hard about it tonight.

Top 5 is optimistic enough I would have thought, especially when the panel is open til June. You'd nearly expect 5 positions to come up between now and then, but PAS probably know what's coming up

Top 5 is optimistic enough I would have thought, especially when the panel is open til June. You'd nearly expect 5 positions to come up between now and then, but PAS probably know what's coming up

Hard to say, and I'm not a risk taker by nature so I'd prefer to play it safe. She said there was nothing coming up in Wexford at all, but she couldn't of course speak about the future. I wouldn't mind so much but I've had to tell my boss and he's angry that I'm leaving. I wish they'd ring only when they have positions - not before! It's made my life very difficult anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Orlsheen

I'm hoping for Longford or Carrick but I'm in the 60's so not expecting to get a call for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Hard to say, and I'm not a risk taker by nature so I'd prefer to play it safe. She said there was nothing coming up in Wexford at all, but she couldn't of course speak about the future. I wouldn't mind so much but I've had to tell my boss and he's angry that I'm leaving. I wish they'd ring only when they have positions - not before! It's made my life very difficult anyway...

Tell your boss you've decided not to accept the position. If one comes up before June just take it.

I take it then that nobody has heard of any jobs coming up in Wexford... Is there anybody working in the HSE here that can tell me how easy it is to go up to full-time after a while? I really didn't want to work in the HSE (I work in healthcare now and it's a nightmare) but beggars can't be choosers and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

archie199 wrote: »
    Any luck??

Friday the 18th results are due to be issued tomorrow. I asked spefically for the Cork panel though so it might not be the case for other regions interviewed that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 SkipPeanut

Hi all,

I attended an interview for a clerical officer position in Dublin recently. I'm just wondering what the likelihood of getting a role which is in some way related to my degree?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to accept any role but after spending a lot of time, money and effort on getting an MA, I'd be delighted if I was placed somewhere where I could use my qualification. I do know that a lot of the posts in the field in which I'm qualified come under the public sector umbrella, however I'm not sure if this necessarily means the civil or public service.

At the interview, the panel did seem interested in my degree/other relevant jobs, however I've no idea if this has any bearing on my likelihood of getting a relevant position.

I'm also aware that posts seem to be filled based on which department needs people more (based on the replies in thread anyway.)

If anyone would know more about this, please let me know.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭chair28

Anybody have any idea how far along the panel they are for the Dublin section?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

chair28 wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea how far along the panel they are for the Dublin section?

Checked today, currently around 1200

Friday the 18th results are due to be issued tomorrow. I asked spefically for the Cork panel though so it might not be the case for other regions interviewed that day.

That's great, thanks for that. I'm waiting on Dublin results, I presume they'll issue results for all regions from interviews the 18th. Well I hope so anyway! Best of luck tomorrow, hope it works out for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lmdke

cos67 wrote: »
    Any idea how many people are starting in Revenue in Kilkenny on 12th October?

I don't know how many but I am - are you starting that day too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cos67

lmdke wrote: »
    I don't know how many but I am - are you starting that day too?

Yeah, I was offered last Friday morning, accepted in the afternoon and contract by email on Friday evening, so very rush job!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

cos67 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was offered last Friday morning, accepted in the afternoon and contract by email on Friday evening, so very rush job!

Can I ask what number (roughly) you are? Hoping they have moved down the list a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cos67

I was 63 after interview stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

The HSE in Portlaoise had an ad in the local paper this week for Clerical Officers. It seems crazy to me that they would recruit separately when there is a panel already there that they could choose from. Such waste of time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Results from Dublin on the 18th are out. Good news for me - hope the rest of you did well too.

Advertisement