Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭tanolo1

budget1984 wrote: »
    Hi, yes I have been offered Longford. start in few weeks. I was 26 on that panel. where you hoping to get?

At least the panel is moving ... I'm 68 on the panel . . would love Carrick or Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PaulaPanic

Go through the list of competencies and have examples ready for all of them. Also try and relate the competencies in the form. Makes life easier.

Oh that's good advice to relate them into the form. Excellent. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SOANDSO

?..

Anyonestarting in Limerick 9th November. Can I ask what number you were after stage 1. Thanks in advance

?..

• Advertisement

Anyone starting in Limerick on th 9 November. Can I ask what number you were after stage 1. Thanks in advance

Anyone starting in Limerick on th 9 November. Can I ask what number you were after stage 1. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭archie199

PAS contacted me late yesterday asking me to forward on my Social Welfare details. Not a problem except for the bloody postal strike.

Great! Where in Dublin were you offered a position? It's moving very quickly now!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭vegasgirl2015

SOANDSO wrote: »
    Anyonestarting in Limerick 9th November. Can I ask what number you were after stage 1. Thanks in advance[/quote

394 after stage 1 and 207 after stage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

archie199 wrote: »
    Great! Where in Dublin were you offered a position? It's moving very quickly now!

No position offered yet. I'm faintly hopeful but the references can still screw me up.

• Advertisement

Can someone tell me, is it possible that the training is unpaid starting in Limerick on the 9th. I am almost positive thats what the woman said the other day? was i doting?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Can someone tell me, is it possible that the training is unpaid starting in Limerick on the 9th. I am almost positive thats what the woman said the other day? was i doting?

Training for any job is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ireland2015

Hi. Just wondering if anybody has any tips on the numerical part of the aptitude test. Just about passed stage 1 with the maths. I had barely enough time to work out calculations on a calculator so a lot of the answers were guessed. Really need to pass this as have no job at the moment and it's rejection after rejection.

Thanks for ye're help.

No position offered yet. I'm faintly hopeful but the references can still screw me up.

Stay positive, you'll get a call or letter stating where you'll be placed. The references are just a formality really, I'm sure your former employers wouldn't stand in the way of you getting another position. Don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Hi. Just wondering if anybody has any tips on the numerical part of the aptitude test. Just about passed stage 1 with the maths. I had barely enough time to work out calculations on a calculator so a lot of the answers were guessed. Really need to pass this as have no job at the moment and it's rejection after rejection.

Thanks for ye're help.

It's relatively easy to improve your ability to do well at numerical aptitude tests, it's no secret: practise, practise, practise. Practise long division, percentages, fractions and ratios before the tests. A calculator can slow you down, so do a multiplication and division tables refresher. Work carefully but quickly, and try and answer as many questions as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Yes practise as much as you can. Lots online inculding the CO examples on Public Jobs.ie. With or without a calculator is up to you. That depends on your maths skills.

But also and this is very important leave yourself enough time at the end to guess any questions you don't have the time to answer (or are unable to answer). An educated guess is best. But if not just guess wildly. It is really important to answer all questions as there is no negative marking. Even if you are clueless at maths this could make all the difference. In other words don't spend ages answering one question correctly if it means you are going to leave the last few questions completely unanswered.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Thanks for ye're help.

It's literally nothing but percentages, adding, multiplication and division. The way they explain percentages is really weird but the easiest way to do it is multiply by a decimal so if you need 67% multiply by. 67 and so on so forth. The way they explain it involves like 4 steps. So practice these and it's a lot easier than stage 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ireland2015

Thanks guys, I don't think I will pass it though. It's just a pity there's only 1 example on public jobs. So stressing as really need this. I remember d last time I had just about enough time to read the question no mind trying to work them out. Ah :(

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Thanks guys, I don't think I will pass it though. It's just a pity there's only 1 example on public jobs. So stressing as really need this. I remember d last time I had just about enough time to read the question no mind trying to work them out. Ah :(

All I can say is practice. But whatever happens even if you have no confidence just do the test and if you have to just guess the answers. You may be surprised!

If you need this job do not quit the competition. Just do the test and answer all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 charmed22

well im just been accepted to stage 2 assessments i cant wait as i was so looking forward but im not telling anyone as i never reach for the 'stage' of congrats of the like so keeping mum for a while and hopefully 'sup-rise' them however i book an non refundable trip at the end of November for a few days what happens if i pass to get through the interview stage i hate to miss it out. would be an awful decision to make. i had a incident last year when i booked a holiday in jan but said nothing in the interview for a tco role didn't get it but i think with extra courses and other stuff maybe i might just get it heres hopingx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm on the brink of starting hopefully - at stage 2 (supervised testing) I didn't sleep the night before and only showed because there was nothing on TV that morning.

It's a bloody lottery with multiple choice questions. Do practice. Some of the options they give you are so out of range that instead of 1 in 4 you're left with 1 in 2.
    Treat it like a TV gameshow instead of an exam. So get used to the calculator and when and when not to depend on it.
    The fact you can get online, ask a question, be polite and respond in a meaningful way qualifies you as a CO already. Now its just a matter of proving it in their eyes.
    And when it comes to calculating an overpayment or underpayment on someones annual tax bill; fastest finger first has no bearing on reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

Anymore movement on Carlow/Kilkenny or Laois areas

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lmdke

Lulucas wrote: »

I heard that someone in the early 80's has been offered a position, you should give PAS a call to see where exactly they are at with the panel as they must be getting near you at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

According to PAS they've placed up to number 65 or so, don't know if they've offered more places as I emailed them and that's all the info I got

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

alwaysadub wrote: »
    According to PAS they've placed up to number 65 or so, don't know if they've offered more places as I emailed them and that's all the info I got

Hopefully I won't be to long more. At least it's moving. I might ring to see if they will tell me anything more .

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭forzawexford10

Hopefully I won't be to long more. At least it's moving. I might ring to see if they will tell me anything more .

If you do contact them could you please post what number they are at for the checking reference stage/post interview stage for Carlow/Kilkenny. Thanks

Anyone starting in Limerick Revenue on 9th of November heard anything from PAS yet by email?

My references were contacted this morning, this is moving very fast! 1252 for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

I emailed PAS yesterday about the Cork panel, I was told they're placing number 122. So hopefully there's a few more jobs around for the rest of us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Hioy

Archie199- Did your referees let you know, or did public jobs get in touch to let you know they would be contacting your references ? I'm not far behind you on the list - would be great to get a position soon!

Advertisement