Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rorster_123

Career average divided by 2 basically after 40 years. Not much more than the old age contributory pension to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Career average divided by 2 basically after 40 years. Not much more than the old age contributory pension to be honest.

Career average?

so say average of 25k for 40 years, thats a pension of 12.5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

i've been watching this thread, good luck to everyone who applied.

How does the public sector pension work? what kind of pension would CO's be looking at after say 25-30 years of service?

You would need 40 years service to get a full pension and with the new "Career Average" calculations you would be talking about a weekly pension of around €216 a week with 30 years service as a CO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Career average?

so say average of 25k for 40 years, thats a pension of 12.5k?

Yep. You would also get a lump sum payment of around €37000

ridiculous question but do you claim the CS pension and the old age contributory pension or just the CS pension alone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

gazzer wrote: »
    You would need 40 years service to get a full pension and with the new "Career Average" calculations you would be talking about a weekly pension of around €216 a week with 30 years service as a CO.

You'd have the holiday home in the Seychelles as a consolation by then though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

ridiculous question but do you claim the CS pension and the old age contributory pension or just the CS pension alone?

CS pension alone afaik.

You'd have the holiday home in the Seychelles as a consolation by then though.

how do you work that out? top rate of income for a CO is 37k, and it takes 20 years to get to that pay scale.

how do you work that out? top rate of income for a CO is 37k, and it takes 20 years to get to that pay scale.

Was jesting obviously!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There is a formula used called COPC- whereby your pension entitlement is calculated.

You earn 1/80th of your career average salary as a pension, per year of service. So- you need 40 years of service, to earn 50% of your career average salary as a pension.

This pension is then reduced by whatever the prevailing rate of Contributory Old Age Pension may be. At the moment the rate is 230.30 a week- aka 11,975.60 per annum. So- you only earn a civil service pension on that portion of your career average pension over 23,951........

If you had a career average pension of 30,000 (entirely a reasonable assumption)

You get your lumpsum of 1.5 times your career average salary (this is taxable now, it usen't be!)

You claim the Contributory Old age pension of 230.30 a week

You get a civil service pension of 58.16 per week (3024 per annum)

You are expected to claim the Contributory OAP as the major part of your pension. If you are not entitled to it (e.g. if you retire before the commencement date for the OAP- currently 66, but due to rise to 70 in stages over the next 10 years)- you only get the civil service portion of the pension (58.16) a week until such time as you are entitled to the OAP- though you may be entitled to other social welfare payments (it is suggested unemployment benefit may be appropriate- though frankly, I don't see how/why).

The 'gold plated' pension that the media love to harp on about- is a load of bullcrap for most civil servants- certainly some limited numbers of people on high salaries do get very very generous pensions- but for the vast number of civil servants- they are expected to subsist by and large on the contributory OAP- with a very small civil service stipend (in the above example- 58 Euro a week), ontop of it.

This is something the media do not tell you..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

invites to part b (aptitude test) have gone out

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shazzer86

price690 wrote: »
    invites to part b (aptitude test) have gone out

Was it via text or email? When did you do part A?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paul64

I received a text saying to log on and part b is due soon

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

both text and email, but it's just the thing from public jobs to tell you to expect the mail with the link for the tests before - in my case - Thursday.....not the actual mail with the link itself...

shazzer86 wrote: »
    Was it via text or email? When did you do part A?

email, I did my part a right at the cut off point last sunday

everyone who did part a will be doing part b i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I'll expect mine in few hours I think it took 3/4 hours from the first person posting they got email till I got mine last time

It seems there's a week window this time....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bandit99

hi just got txt also saying part b out Thursday, i done some practice ones but the numerical ones i just cant handle maths not being my best subject....should i bow out now

where is the link to the practice tests?

on saville website

• Advertisement

theres also some on public jobs webpage under advice centre then click on test advice/sample test

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

bandit99 wrote: »
    hi just got txt also saying part b out Thursday, i done some practice ones but the numerical ones i just cant handle maths not being my best subject....should i bow out now

No, I wouldn't. I'd try and practice more selection tests online. If you struggle with percentages, fractions or whatever then Google sites that may help you work on some of your weaker points with the numerical exam, but I'd definitely give it a go. No harm in trying.
    price690 wrote: »
    where is the link to the practice tests?

The link to the sample tests is in the CO Competition booklet, I don't have the link to it at the moment. It's run through Saville Consultants.

sure ill just try my best tanx... i dont have a bother with the questions or with the checking but the maths ones i just can't handle...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Everyone going to get to next stage regardless? Or have they cut already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

bandit99 wrote: »
    sure ill just try my best tanx... i dont have a bother with the questions or with the checking but the maths ones i just can't handle...

Thanks, is it? What's the "questions" and the "checking" bit you speak of?

Everyone going to get to next stage regardless? Or have they cut already?

Everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Good ! Was starting to panic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ***HAPPYDAYS***

Hi guys , quick one , is there opportunity to promote urself from clerical officer to a better grade thus more money ?

Hi guys , quick one , is there opportunity to promote urself from clerical officer to a better grade thus more money ?

Is there an opportunity in any job to do that ?

• Advertisement

Did my one last tuesday, no text or message thus far.

Advertisement