Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Headonfire2015

Hi Everyone, I recently passed my interview for the permanent C.O. positions in the 2014 campaign. I am placed in the early 200's for Cork. Anybody have any word on Cork? How many depts are down there and if its realistic to expect a call, being in what I think to be, such high numbers?

Just trying to decide whether to emigrate or bide my time. I would really love to get a full time c.o. role as I have worked in a TCO capacity before and loved it. I'm just sceptical on whether they will reach me on the list or not :/

Last I heard I think the jobs numbers were around 120 for the Cork Region so I'm looking at another 100 people+ to go before me.... That doesn't really fill me with confidence..

Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭svei

Hi Everyone, I recently passed my interview for the permanent C.O. positions in the 2014 campaign. I am placed in the early 200's for Cork. Anybody have any word on Cork? How many depts are down there and if its realistic to expect a call, being in what I think to be, such high numbers?

Just trying to decide whether to emigrate or bide my time. I would really love to get a full time c.o. role as I have worked in a TCO capacity before and loved it. I'm just sceptical on whether they will reach me on the list or not :/

Last I heard I think the jobs numbers were around 120 for the Cork Region so I'm looking at another 100 people+ to go before me.... That doesn't really fill me with confidence..

Hard to say, last post (2 days ago) said they were placing no 122 on the panel. But don't forget, not everybody ahead of you will take up a position. They might prefer a different region, or have secured employment elsewhere, so I'd hang in there a little bit longer if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭snypers12

Was anyone on here interviewed today for the Garda information services centre in castlebar? If so how was it? I have mine Monday.

What is the interview like for the permanent positions? I had an interview months ago for tco but I wouldn't even call that an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

Got an email today inviting me to stage 2 tests my locations are Limerick/Tipp, Kilkenny/Carlow and Laois/Offaly. Is stage 2 tests similar to stage 1? I really need to get this. I'm in a job I hate and need a change asap.

connectq wrote: »
    Got an email today inviting me to stage 2 tests my locations are Limerick/Tipp, Kilkenny/Carlow and Laois/Offaly. Is stage 2 tests similar to stage 1? I really need to get this. I'm in a job I hate and need a change asap.

Ya stage 2 is the same as stage 1 just in a supervised setting. You have nothing to worry about. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 niconoa

snypers12 wrote: »
    Was anyone on here interviewed today for the Garda information services centre in castlebar? If so how was it? I have mine Monday.

What is the interview like for the permanent positions? I had an interview months ago for tco but I wouldn't even call that an interview

Mine was yesterday. The interview is competency based and really just focuses on the 4 skills. There's no reference to the GISC positions or at least there wasn't for me.

I wonder how many people they're interviewing and how many positions they have?

Ya stage 2 is the same as stage 1 just in a supervised setting. You have nothing to worry about. Good luck

Fingers crossed. Lots of practice between now and 29th Oct.

niconoa wrote: »
    Mine was yesterday. The interview is competency based and really just focuses on the 4 skills. There's no reference to the GISC positions or at least there wasn't for me.

I wonder how many people they're interviewing and how many positions they have?

Was it a tough interview?

There seems to be a lot of jobs going down there. They are meant to be very short staffed. But I also know there is a lot turning down the interview as castlebar is too far away. My friend was 60 places ahead of me on the panel and turned it down. Took them a week to contact me then after that

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cokkini

Hi! Do you mind asking where you were placed after stage one? I'm mid 500's in tipp lim but have heard nothing yet?

Cokkini wrote: »
    Hi! Do you mind asking where you were placed after stage one? I'm mid 500's in tipp lim but have heard nothing yet?

I'm just over the mid 500s, did you check your emails or log in to public jobs to see did you get a message. If you didn't get a call for this one you should be on the next one anyway. It's a long road but fingers crossed we get something out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Cokkini

I'm just over the mid 500s, did you check your emails or log in to public jobs to see did you get a message. If you didn't get a call for this one you should be on the next one anyway. It's a long road but fingers crossed we get something out of it.

Thanks a million! Ya I was under mid 500s and have been checking my publicjobs account everyday so don't know what's going on! Very long road! Best of luck in stage 2! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

Got an email yesterday as well for stage 2, presumably this is for Laois/Offaly/Westmeath my other locations were Sligo,Leitrim,Longford and donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 21 niconoa

Was it a tough interview?

There seems to be a lot of jobs going down there. They are meant to be very short staffed. But I also know there is a lot turning down the interview as castlebar is too far away. My friend was 60 places ahead of me on the panel and turned it down. Took them a week to contact me then after that

It wasn't too bad, I'll judge it once I get the results I guess! Just make sure you go through the skills and have examples of how you applied specific skills in previous jobs/education.

Whereabouts in the numbers are you, if you don't mind me asking? Just a ballpark figure. I thought I would be quite far down and didn't stand a chance of actually getting a job but from the sounds of it there may be many people it just doesn't suit with it being located in castlebar and being shift work.

niconoa wrote: »
    It wasn't too bad, I'll judge it once I get the results I guess! Just make sure you go through the skills and have examples of how you applied specific skills in previous jobs/education.

Whereabouts in the numbers are you, if you don't mind me asking? Just a ballpark figure. I thought I would be quite far down and didn't stand a chance of actually getting a job but from the sounds of it there may be many people it just doesn't suit with it being located in castlebar and being shift work.

Thanks for the advice. I'm in 76th place. What place are you in yourself? I know of a few people who were ahead of me on the panel and turned it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

jules86 wrote: »
    Got an email yesterday as well for stage 2, presumably this is for Laois/Offaly/Westmeath my other locations were Sligo,Leitrim,Longford and donegal

Congratulations!
    Laois/Offaly/Westmeath is moving extremely slowly. As far as I know only 20 people have been phoned about reference checks and I haven't heard of anyone being formally offered a position or starting work. However if anyone has been given a contract or started work would you let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Anna1976 wrote: »
    Congratulations!
    Laois/Offaly/Westmeath is moving extremely slowly. As far as I know only 20 people have been phoned about reference checks and I haven't heard of anyone being formally offered a position or starting work. However if anyone has been given a contract or started work would you let us know.

I've been called for round 2 for Laois/Offaly/Westmeath on 28th October. Was in the mid 200's after round 1. Trying to debate whether there's any point in taking the day off work and making the trek from Galway to Dublin when the panel expires next June and the chances of getting a job out of it seems slim enough? Hard to know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭forzawexford10

Carlowgirl wrote: »
    Hi All
    Ive been called for interview next week for stage 3. Can anyone give me an idea of what the answer and also can someone please tell me what is the difference between the Civil and Public service . I cant find it any where.. thanks in advance :D

Is your interview for Carlow/Kilkenny? What rank are you, least there seems to be steady progress of offers and if more people are being called to interview there must be more jobs here.

If you just look at the link publicjobs send you with the interview offer for familiarisation for candidates and the job competency document and prepare 2 or 3 examples for each competency you will be more than fine.

For my interview both people interviewing me were very, nice questions were straight forward and not trying to catch you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

I've been called for round 2 for Laois/Offaly/Westmeath on 28th October. Was in the mid 200's after round 1. Trying to debate whether there's any point in taking the day off work and making the trek from Galway to Dublin when the panel expires next June and the chances of getting a job out of it seems slim enough? Hard to know what to do.

It is very hard to know, but maybe if you don't give it a go you would always wonder, treat your self to some retail therapy for the second half of the day and it might make it more appealing. Lots of other areas have reached that number maybe Laois/Offaly/Westmeath is just a slow starter. No positions have come up in Laois or Offaly as yet and they have dept of agriculture and dept of education so you would imagine there should be a number of positions in both of these. Best of luck with your decision anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 theaxel132

I heard today that are at the 140 mark, so ive around 60 to go before me, im hoping a new job for the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

theaxel132 wrote: »
    I heard today that are at the 140 mark, so ive around 60 to go before me, im hoping a new job for the new year

Where did you hear that? If you don't mind me asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 DaisysB

For anyone following this for Kerry area, I've just been placed in a position, I was at mid 30's. Had a phone call & will be waiting for letter now.
    Also, anyone who is pregnant, I was obviously pregnant at interview & will be taking up the position after my maternity leave which just began in last couple of weeks.
    Hope info is helpful to someone out there!
    Found this thread a great source of help for interview prep so thanks to all the posters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Is it too late to apply or are there still opportunities?

Should have said, I'd happily go anywhere in the country for a permanent position.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

Have you applied for both permanent CO and TCO?

You can't be made made permanent from a TCO competition. You will need to go through the permanent CO recruitment process for that.

If your interview is for TCO it will be very easy. It's more of a chat really. Rating your IT skills, can you use photocopier etc

Yes i have applied for both. I have the interview for TCO tomorrow and the stage two assessment for Permanent roles 28th October so i assume i best go ahead tomorrow and do this interview just incase i screw up the Supervised testing end of month. I am now suffering severe baby brain and lack of sleep ( 5 month old) so im not feeling very confident .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Very Bored wrote: »
    Is it too late to apply or are there still opportunities?

Looks like it's very late as I'm looking also :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

Mc Love wrote:
    Looks like it's very late as I'm looking also

This panel was established May 2014 and they last for 2 years so you may have to wait a while before you can apply ðŸ˜

Danielle D wrote: »
    This panel was established May 2014 and they last for 2 years so you may have to wait a while before you can apply ðŸ˜

Thanks for letting us know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

You should both register your interest in Clerical positions with Publicjobs.ie now so you will get alerts when the next Clerical Officer competition is announced. I have no idea when this will be but would be surprised if there is not an announcement next year or even later this year as it takes a long time to get a panel fully established.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

speedygirl wrote: »
    Yes i have applied for both. I have the interview for TCO tomorrow and the stage two assessment for Permanent roles 28th October so i assume i best go ahead tomorrow and do this interview just incase i screw up the Supervised testing end of month. I am now suffering severe baby brain and lack of sleep ( 5 month old) so im not feeling very confident .

The TCO interview will be grand. It's more of a chat really. Good luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 tubba

DaisysB wrote: »
    For anyone following this for Kerry area, I've just been placed in a position, I was at mid 30's. Had a phone call & will be waiting for letter now.
    Also, anyone who is pregnant, I was obviously pregnant at interview & will be taking up the position after my maternity leave which just began in last couple of weeks.
    Hope info is helpful to someone out there!
    Found this thread a great source of help for interview prep so thanks to all the posters

Congrats DaisyB, great to finally hear of some movement in Kerry. I'm in late 30's so hopefully I won't have long to go. Do you know where you are located.

Advertisement