Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

jules86 wrote: »
    Got an email yesterday as well for stage 2, presumably this is for Laois/Offaly/Westmeath my other locations were Sligo,Leitrim,Longford and donegal

I think it's one test for all our locations I'm in mid 400 for Laois/Offaly/Westmeath I didn't think they were anywhere near that. I know Limerick/Tipp have called more people than other regions but I don't really know how this all works.. Fingers crossed we pass stage 2 and get an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cwcmc

cwcmc wrote: »
    I am, i hope! I've heard nothing via email or post, just phonecall asking to start on the 9th. Were your references contacted? I'm not sure if mine were and the lady i spoke to never mentioned them

Finally got the letter asking to start in Revenue in Limerick Nov 9th. Will there be a contract sent out, or even further details? I think I'm just nervous about handing in my notice to my current boss, so i just want to be sure its definitely a permanent position (with 1 yr probation) being offered!
    Also on a vain note, any idea what the dress code is?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Chilliflake

Hi all,

Just wanted some advice if you can help. I have been out of work for four years and have three children under 5. I've gone through two competitions, the AO two years ago, where I got to the interview but didn't pass it as made a hames of it, and the CO last year, that I passed the interview for.

I was recently offered a job and my pay is €30K, so my take home is €545 per week or so. It's like winning the lottery for me after having nothing for so long, and I've been in the job only a month and have nine month's probation. The job, however, is in Kilkenny and I live in Waterford which is a nightmare when I have such young children. I have an hour's commute each way and don't get home till nearly 7, so I hardly see them anymore. Almost all of my pay goes on childcare, but I don't mind because I need to work as being at home for so long and out of the workforce was bad for my sanity.

The main reason I applied for the civil service was for job security and to work around the children. I always knew the pay wasn't great. I did TCO in the Revenue last year for three months.

Well, it never rains but it pours and I have just had a call to offer me CO in Waterford, I'm placed in the mid-30s on the panel. My quandary is, do I leave my well-paid job in KK for a much lower paid job in Waterford, where I will have to add to my pay each month to pay the childcare, but at least I'll be home in 10 mins and have more flexibility in terms of working times after the probation is finished?

The place I'm in at the moment is quite unstable, it is known for it's very high staff turnover as the manager is quite difficult to work for. I don't want to regret not taking the CO position if I'm given the bullet from here after 9 months (as happened a previous employee).

Also, we were really hoping to apply for a mortgage in the New Year. I know you have to have a permanent job for that and be out of your probation period, but do you think the banks would look more favourably on somebody with a higher salary in the private sector, or somebody in a State job on lower pay?

They're currently doing the Garda vetting for me, so I need to make a decision asap. Very difficult to know what to do! :confused:

Thanks everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

Hi all,

Just wanted some advice if you can help. I have been out of work for four years and have three children under 5. I've gone through two competitions, the AO two years ago, where I got to the interview but didn't pass it as made a hames of it, and the CO last year, that I passed the interview for.

I was recently offered a job and my pay is €30K, so my take home is €545 per week or so. It's like winning the lottery for me after having nothing for so long, and I've been in the job only a month and have nine month's probation. The job, however, is in Kilkenny and I live in Waterford which is a nightmare when I have such young children. I have an hour's commute each way and don't get home till nearly 7, so I hardly see them anymore. Almost all of my pay goes on childcare, but I don't mind because I need to work as being at home for so long and out of the workforce was bad for my sanity.

The main reason I applied for the civil service was for job security and to work around the children. I always knew the pay wasn't great. I did TCO in the Revenue last year for three months.

Well, it never rains but it pours and I have just had a call to offer me CO in Waterford, I'm placed in the mid-30s on the panel. My quandary is, do I leave my well-paid job in KK for a much lower paid job in Waterford, where I will have to add to my pay each month to pay the childcare, but at least I'll be home in 10 mins and have more flexibility in terms of working times after the probation is finished?

The place I'm in at the moment is quite unstable, it is known for it's very high staff turnover as the manager is quite difficult to work for. I don't want to regret not taking the CO position if I'm given the bullet from here after 9 months (as happened a previous employee).

Also, we were really hoping to apply for a mortgage in the New Year. I know you have to have a permanent job for that and be out of your probation period, but do you think the banks would look more favourably on somebody with a higher salary in the private sector, or somebody in a State job on lower pay?

They're currently doing the Garda vetting for me, so I need to make a decision asap. Very difficult to know what to do! :confused:

Thanks everybody.

Maybe I'm wrong but reading between the lines it seems like you are leaning towards the CS job. The family friendly benefits are huge within the service between flexi, parental leave, shorter working year etc...
    It might be worth doing up a budget on expenses etc that you will save by working closer to home. Just guessing figures here but 60-70 fuel costs each week would mean savings of 3,000-3,500 per year! Add an extra 600-800 to that for service, tyres, depreciation due to mileage and it all adds up. On top of that saving 2 hours per day on commute, that's 10 hours per week. If we were to pay you just €10 an hour (I'm sure you're worth much more than this) that would add up to 5,200 so now your current salary of 30k is looking more like 21k and the CO wages might look more appealing!
    One thing I would say is you mentioned having to add to your salary for childcare costs in you take the CO role, that's obviously something you have to work out if it's viable for your family.
    And on the mortgage issue I actually applied for one recently and was basically told (this isn't official policy but) job security of civil servants goes along way to getting a application over the line and the whole mortgage calculated at 3.5 times gross salary could be slightly more flexible as well. I would imagine that's not the case for people on probation though.
    Anyway best of luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭svei

Hi all,

Thanks everybody.

I agree with RWC15champions, it definitely sounds like you're leaning towards the CO job. In my opinion, given the information you've given, it's a no-brainer - take the CO job and you'll be happier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

...and a mortgage lasts a long time. In 5 years that CO salary will be far closer to your current one (USC reduction / abolishment, pay increases aside from annual increments etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 tubba

Hi all,

Thanks everybody.

I would lean more towards the more secure job. The salary will go up every year .

"Salary will be set at the level of Clerical Officer in the civil service. The current scale is
    €20,859, €21,830, €22,805, €23,778, €24,752, €25,724, €26,672, €27,619, €28,569, €29,515,
    €30,456, €31,924, €33,078 (after 3 years on maximum), €33,607 (after 6 years on maximum) "

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Chilliflake

Thanks everybody!

I am leaning more towards the CO role, you're right, as the family friendly policies and the thought of only working in the road as opposed to having to commute every morning to KK are very appealing..

The fuel does cost me about €70 per week and, would you believe, my car has had to go into the garage today to fix two issues that have now arisen since starting this job (it's old and a sudden increase in the mileage being done is exacerbating the niggly things wrong with it) so that's going to cost me a few quid now as well.

I basically needed someone to tell me what to do as it's very hard to walk away from good money, but as you have all pointed out, it's eaten up in other ways, fuel and time and a deterioration in quality of life.

Thanks again and I'll let you know what the position is and start date when I hear more myself. The boss here will hit the nuclear button if I tell him I'm leaving. He can't keep staff, that's why he pays so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Anyone know how long from reference check does it take to getting placed? (roughly) it is for the Dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Chilliflake, as well as annual increments, there is also scope for increases for lower paid Civil Servants in the Lansdowne Road agreement.

Pension levy will decrease by €1k next year and salary will increase by €1k the following year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hi folks,

Does anyone know the approx number of where they are at for calling interviews in Dublin?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭vegasgirl2015

Finally got the letter asking to start in Revenue in Limerick Nov 9th. Will there be a contract sent out, or even further details? I think I'm just nervous about handing in my notice to my current boss, so i just want to be sure its definitely a permanent position (with 1 yr probation) being offered!
    Also on a vain note, any idea what the dress code is?

re dress code, from when i did TCO there, i wore casual/casual smart - especially for the women. did the letter come from PAS that u received today, or did it come directly from Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Did the sit down exam in Dublin this morning, other 2 parts fine but found numerical v difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cwcmc

re dress code, from when i did TCO there, i wore casual/casual smart - especially for the women. did the letter come from PAS that u received today, or did it come directly from Revenue?

Thank you! I got the letter last tues, the 6th and it was from PAS. Maybe there isn't a contract coming? Anyone that has started the position, did ye get any further info apart from the first letter and phone call?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jsherlock1

Can anyone tell me what the weekly take home pay is after all deductions?

All so what does 3 years "at the maximum" with regards to the pay scale mean can anyone tell me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Jsherlock1 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the weekly take home pay is after all deductions?

All so what does 3 years "at the maximum" with regards to the pay scale mean can anyone tell me?

About €367 on point 1 on the scale, it goes up after that with increments. The pension levy is being reduced in January 2016 by about €1000 and I think everyone will get a €1000 pay increase in September 2017.

3 years at the maximum refers to long service increments. You spend 3 years on the LSI 1 point on the scale and after that you move on to LSI 2.

Did the sit down exam in Dublin this morning, other 2 parts fine but found numerical v difficult!

I thought the same when I did stage 2, thought numerical went terribly. It turned out to be my best one. Try not to over think it. I'm sure it went ok for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Headonfire2015

Thanks svei and theaxel132.

I didn't think it would move up 20 positions so quickly if I'm being honest. Still, I think I will bide my time and see what happens. It's a game of dice at the moment but I'm praying to god they will eventually reach my number before the panel is struck off next summer. I'm less than 100 positions off the golden ticket now.

I would be completely devastated to be just struck out after all the hoop jumping and time spent thinking about things inbetween but.... c'est la vie.

Again, thanks for the info. If I hear anything myself I will post it up here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ireland2015

Best of luck. Absol dreading it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

The TCO interview will be grand. It's more of a chat really. Good luck with it :)
    Thanks , that's exactly what it was. A long spin for a 10 minute chat. She told me I was right to come ahead for TCO& explained process if I get through supervised tests week after next so here's hoping .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Royal82

Did the interview for CO (Dublin) today, went ok but only ok!!! anyone any idea what happens next, is there an email to confirm the outcome?

Do they start checking references now or just before an offer is made?

Also, roughly how long have people had to wait until they receive an offer?

Sorry for all the questions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭tanolo1

Hi there , does anyone know where they are on the panel for Sligo/Leitrim/ Longford? I am number 68 but haven't heard a word since the interview
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

So I got a phonecall yesterday asking if it was alright to check my references and to see if I was still interested! Which is kinda awkward coz I started a job mid September......eek! So hopefully it'll all work out!

So as of yesterday at 3.18pm the Cork panel was at number 131.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭vegasgirl2015

Thank you! I got the letter last tues, the 6th and it was from PAS. Maybe there isn't a contract coming? Anyone that has started the position, did ye get any further info apart from the first letter and phone call?

Im the same. Got the phone call first from revenue and then the letter from PAS but nothing else. I assume the relevant depts will email us closer to the time with contracts and stuff, like they do for the TCO role

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭garryowenman

Does anyone know when the next CO competition will be begin I applied for the previous one but was unsuccessful?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Royal82 wrote: »
    Did the interview for CO (Dublin) today, went ok but only ok!!! anyone any idea what happens next, is there an email to confirm the outcome?

Do they start checking references now or just before an offer is made?

Also, roughly how long have people had to wait until they receive an offer?

Sorry for all the questions!!!

I'm pretty sure it's usually a message on publicjobs to say whether you are successful or not.

I'm sure others will help with the other 2 questions, sorry I can't be more help.

Do you mind me asking what number approx you were?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

So I got a phonecall yesterday asking if it was alright to check my references and to see if I was still interested! Which is kinda awkward coz I started a job mid September......eek! So hopefully it'll all work out!

So as of yesterday at 3.18pm the Cork panel was at number 131.

Got a phone call for the Dublin region yesterday as well, I know that my references were checked, just wondering how do you know if you've passed this section or do you just have to wait till you get a letter assigning you a dept?

(Dublin is around 1280)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kitty3kids

cdsb46 wrote: »
    Got a phone call for the Dublin region yesterday as well, I know that my references were checked, just wondering how do you know if you've passed this section or do you just have to wait till you get a letter assigning you a dept?

(Dublin is around 1280)

That's great to hear! I'm so close 1312 but still far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cokkini

Anybody know how far they are through Limerick-Tipp list? Any hope of many more being called to stage 2?

• Advertisement

cdsb46 wrote: »

(Dublin is around 1280)

They don't tell you. If you hear nothing just take it everything is ok. If it's not ok they will contact you. You'll be assigned to a department next.

Advertisement