Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Royal82 wrote: »
    Did the interview for CO (Dublin) today, went ok but only ok!!! anyone any idea what happens next, is there an email to confirm the outcome?

Do they start checking references now or just before an offer is made?

Also, roughly how long have people had to wait until they receive an offer?

Sorry for all the questions!!!

You get a message to your public jobs account about the outcome of the interview.

References are checked just before an offer is made.

There's no set time to receive an offer. It will depend on how many requests for staff PAS get. You could be waiting a week, you could be waiting 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

connectq wrote: »
    I think it's one test for all our locations I'm in mid 400 for Laois/Offaly/Westmeath I didn't think they were anywhere near that. I know Limerick/Tipp have called more people than other regions but I don't really know how this all works.. Fingers crossed we pass stage 2 and get an interview

I'm 419 in that region, I don't think my other regions are moving though

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mquinnmullally

Hi all,

Just wanted some advice if you can help. I have been out of work for four years and have three children under 5. I've gone through two competitions, the AO two years ago, where I got to the interview but didn't pass it as made a hames of it, and the CO last year, that I passed the interview for.

I was recently offered a job and my pay is €30K, so my take home is €545 per week or so. It's like winning the lottery for me after having nothing for so long, and I've been in the job only a month and have nine month's probation. The job, however, is in Kilkenny and I live in Waterford which is a nightmare when I have such young children. I have an hour's commute each way and don't get home till nearly 7, so I hardly see them anymore. Almost all of my pay goes on childcare, but I don't mind because I need to work as being at home for so long and out of the workforce was bad for my sanity.

The main reason I applied for the civil service was for job security and to work around the children. I always knew the pay wasn't great. I did TCO in the Revenue last year for three months.

Well, it never rains but it pours and I have just had a call to offer me CO in Waterford, I'm placed in the mid-30s on the panel. My quandary is, do I leave my well-paid job in KK for a much lower paid job in Waterford, where I will have to add to my pay each month to pay the childcare, but at least I'll be home in 10 mins and have more flexibility in terms of working times after the probation is finished?

The place I'm in at the moment is quite unstable, it is known for it's very high staff turnover as the manager is quite difficult to work for. I don't want to regret not taking the CO position if I'm given the bullet from here after 9 months (as happened a previous employee).

Also, we were really hoping to apply for a mortgage in the New Year. I know you have to have a permanent job for that and be out of your probation period, but do you think the banks would look more favourably on somebody with a higher salary in the private sector, or somebody in a State job on lower pay?

They're currently doing the Garda vetting for me, so I need to make a decision asap. Very difficult to know what to do! :confused:

Thanks everybody.

I'm in similar situation, young children, etc. I would take the job in Waterford. Your wage will increase every year and the flexibility of a civil service job is so being a mum friendly. I know you will take a hit initially financially, but it is the better job. Also take into account travelling expenses and the amount of pay difference won't be as much.

Do you mind me asking what you were placed initially, as I turned down Kilkenny (traveling too much) on the hope of Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭vegasgirl2015

Just got the contract and its signed and sent back. They mentioned something about incremental credit and i read the circular online, but i didn't really understand it. Is it a minimum of 12 months service that has to be served? (i was a tco for 20 weeks and did the census for another 10 weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

Any idea what number they have reached in Carlow / Kilkenny. I have emailed but heard nothing yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭forzawexford10

Lulucas wrote: »
    Any idea what number they have reached in Carlow / Kilkenny. I have emailed but heard nothing yet.

When i was last talking to PAS they said the were around the 80 mark.

Your best option is to ring 01 8587400 and ask to speak to somebody about the CO competition and they will transfer you, and just tell them what region you are and ask where they are up to on the list after the interview stage for assigning people.

If you do contact them can you post up the current status thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bumbleton

If there is anyone who has been placed in the Department of Education in Tullamore and would prefer to be in Athlone, please contact me as my line manager said she can try to sort something out for us so that we can swap offices.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Just got the contract and its signed and sent back. They mentioned something about incremental credit and i read the circular online, but i didn't really understand it. Is it a minimum of 12 months service that has to be served? (i was a tco for 20 weeks and did the census for another 10 weeks)

I'd be interested to find the answer to this too.. Seem to remember it being said before on this thread that past service wasn't being taken into account in this competition, but not sure if that was definitive..

Can anyone who has started, and has previous public/civil service time worked up confirm whether this was taken into account for increments?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I'd be interested to find the answer to this too.. Seem to remember it being said before on this thread that past service wasn't being taken into account in this competition, but not sure if that was definitive..

Can anyone who has started, and has previous public/civil service time worked up confirm whether this was taken into account for increments?

Well, in previous years, all service served in the civil/public service in any country in the EU counted for increments. I'm not sure that all the austerity measures of the last 4/5 years did'nt have an influence on how increments for new recruits are now calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Orlsheen

tanolo1 wrote: »
    Hi there , does anyone know where they are on the panel for Sligo/Leitrim/ Longford? I am number 68 but haven't heard a word since the interview
    Thanks

I emailed PAS to ask them if they could tell me where they were at in this region and this is the exact reply I got "Thank you for your email, we have currently assigned up to roughly 20 in the order of merit for the Longford/Leitrim/Sligo region" Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 mariosuarez

Orlsheen wrote: »
    I emailed PAS to ask them if they could tell me where they were at in this region and this is the exact reply I got "Thank you for your email, we have currently assigned up to roughly 20 in the order of merit for the Longford/Leitrim/Sligo region" Hope this helps

From previous posts, others have said PAS said there was 20 positions and number 28 has posted to say he/she was offered a position so at least 8 turned it down or failed interview or got placed in other region.

I doubt there will be any more than this before Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

UsedToWait wrote:

Well I got incremental credit. Had lots of short term TCO jobs which all added up to moving up the scale. Also bear in mind that when you first started may have some bearing on where you end up on the scale, e.g. if you started in 2007 as a TCO, you might be farther along than someone who first became a TCO in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭archie199

Just got a letter today, being assigned to HSE in Loughlinstown. Have to wait for the vetting to go through and yet to receive notification of starting date. Was hoping to get somewhere nearer to Dublin city centre, want to live near there. Do you people think it's too much of a commute? Hoping I won't be starting till the new year, 1252 for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

archie199 wrote: »
    Just got a letter today, being assigned to HSE in Loughlinstown. Have to wait for the vetting to go through and yet to receive notification of starting date. Was hoping to get somewhere nearer to Dublin city centre, want to live near there. Do you people think it's too much of a commute? Hoping I won't be starting till the new year, 1252 for Dublin.

Depends where you're starting from. I'm city centre and it would take me 70 - 90 minutes - one bus, one DART, and another bus to make it. Loughlinstown is basically a suburban nowhere but on the upside I'm sure rents are cheaper out there. In my case, I'm stuck living where I am so if that were me I'd be looking for a transfer to Dublin proper from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Congrats Archie. You could commute. The 7 bus goes to Loughlinstown (although you might have a short walk after that if it's the hospital you are going to). The Cherrywood Luas stop might be an option too. But I'm not sure.

To be honest though you are going to find it very hard to find anywhere remotely decent to live in the city centre on a CO's starting salary. I wouldn't say rents near Loughlinstown are cheap either but you would have a much better chance of finding a decent deal there. As well as Loughlinstown Bray, Shankhill, Carrickmines and Cabinteely are all nearby. Sorry to rain on your parade but in some ways it might be a blessing in disguise.

Just something to think about.

Divisadero wrote: »
    Congrats Archie. You could commute. The 7 bus goes to Loughlinstown (although you might have a short walk after that if it's the hospital you are going too). The Cherrywood Luas stop might be an option too. But I'm not sure.

To be honest though you are going to find it very hard to find anywhere remotely decent to live in the city centre on a CO's starting salary. I wouldn't say rents near Loughlinstown are cheap either but you would have a much better chance of finding a decent deal there. As well as Loughlinstown Bray, Shankhill, Carrickmines and Cabinteely are all nearby. Sorry to rain on your parade but in some ways it might be a blessing in disguise.

Just something to think about.

Yeah, if I wasn't tied to my house, I'd be thinking about coming in from outside Dublin. Bray is a nice town and you'd only be commuting to the outskirts. Rather than starting out in the city centre. Anyone in the Dublin City forum can give you a 100 reasons why city centre living is a pain in the proverbial at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Yes FV. Also Archie if you heart is really set on the city centre you could always contact them and request a different posting. They are not in any way obliged to facilitate you but it doesn't hurt to ask.

But I would think long and hard about it first as you might be better off in the boring burbs!

Ya, you'll get incremental credit. You'll definitely get the credit for your previous TCO service. Instead of waiting 52 weeks to move on to the next point of the scale you'll just have to wait 32 weeks. I'm not sure how they would look at time spent working on the census but if they give you the 10 weeks you'll just have to wait 22 weeks to move on to point of the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭archie199

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I want to be amongst it up there, don't want to be living too far out. I don't mind commuting, want to have a decent social life up there.
    Anyway, there's a good bus service there and the last stop on the luas green line is in Loughlinstown. Will hopefully be sharing a house with some friends but I couldn't afford more than €500 a month on the staring salary.
    That's true, I will ring them tomorrow and see is there a possibility of relocating somewhere else in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mitchells33

I was just wondering where they are at the moment for Tipp/Limerick, is there people who have completed the interview process still waiting on positions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mquinnmullally

Well, in previous years, all service served in the civil/public service in any country in the EU counted for increments. I'm not sure that all the austerity measures of the last 4/5 years did'nt have an influence on how increments for new recruits are now calculated.

I'd be interested to know if all service in the EU counted for increments. I worked in the N. Ireland civil service for 4.5 years, however when I asked PAS about this when I was offered Kilkenny revenue they said no, but I saw something online that stated it would. I had to turn down KK due to the commute, hoping for Waterford but really don't think they will get to my number by May.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Salsadancer11

How long do you have to wait for results of the stage two supervised exams? I took the exams on Wednesday and I'm just wondering how long it takes to get the results? What is the subject line does it read invitation to stage 3 or does it read stage 2 results? I'm nervous about getting the results as the exams didn't go well for me fingers crossed I'll pass

How long do you have to wait for results of the stage two supervised exams? I took the exams on Wednesday and I'm just wondering how long it takes to get the results? What is the subject line does it read invitation to stage 3 or does it read stage 2 results? I'm nervous about getting the results as the exams didn't go well for me fingers crossed I'll pass

I did stage 2 on 10/07 this year. Got the results on the 18/08. Bear in mind this was over the summer period so the one month delay could be down to staff on holidays etc.
    It reads Stage 2 results....my invitation to interview came later. This could differ for others.

Mine took 6/7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Salsadancer11

Thanks for the that info FloatingVoter the same as stage one so the results came first followed by the invitation to stage 2 later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bear85

I was just wondering where they are at the moment for Tipp/Limerick, is there people who have completed the interview process still waiting on positions?

Yeah I passed interview and still waiting to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Royal82

astradave wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's usually a message on publicjobs to say whether you are successful or not.

I'm sure others will help with the other 2 questions, sorry I can't be more help.

Do you mind me asking what number approx you were?

Hey thanks a million for the help, and to others who replied, my place was 1383 from the second round results if I remember correctly.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I want to be amongst it up there, don't want to be living too far out. I don't mind commuting, want to have a decent social life up there.
    Anyway, there's a good bus service there and the last stop on the luas green line is in Loughlinstown. Will hopefully be sharing a house with some friends but I couldn't afford more than €500 a month on the staring salary.
    That's true, I will ring them tomorrow and see is there a possibility of relocating somewhere else in Dublin.

Hey Archie, congrats on the job offer, can i just check when you got your reference check? I'm not too far off your number and got referenced checked this week, wondering how long I'll have to wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kats4ever

Hi, yes I have passed the interview stage and waiting to get placed in Limerick.I have heard nothing yet! I'm number 245 for Limerick/Tipp and 217 for Cork but Limerick is my pref!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Royal82 wrote: »
    Hey thanks a million for the help, and to others who replied, my place was 1383 from the second round results if I remember correctly.

Thanks again.

Thanks for that and good luck, hopefully you do well

Advertisement