Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ Reference checks were a couple of weeks back for me. Regarding previous employment with Revenue. Still no word.
    And yes, they are recruiting people placed behind me.
    I expect a PFO would be a lot faster than a placement. With the new year looming they're probably entering a mini-standstill regarding start dates.

Regarding the Masters supervisor, they'll only be asking him about whether you turned up on time, were a good team player. Odds are he isn't smart enough to be truly dangerous to you in terms of a real world job. Your ability to split an atom or parse a phrase of Latin is not of any interest to PAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭vegasgirl2015

Got reference checked over two weeks ago for employer of nearly three years but PAS have since come back requesting an academic reference from my masters supervisor. My supervisor was an absolute tyrant and wouldn't be the happiest of me leaving the field and I know it would effect me going back for my doctorate in the future if I do. Tried to explain it to PAS and offer other references to no avail so far. I know they have given places after my number so think I'm out. Really sucks.

Did you even list your masters supervisor as a potential reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Did you even list your masters supervisor as a potential reference?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Right I got an email off the PAS to say that I reached the qualifying standard at interview, and that "you will retain the order of merit place from Stage 2 supervised tests. Should vacancies arise and your place be reached, we will contact you"

So has anyone gotten an offer from here on? I'm in the Dublin region, cheers.

MetalDog wrote: »
    Right I got an email off the PAS to say that I reached the qualifying standard at interview, and that "you will retain the order of merit place from Stage 2 supervised tests. Should vacancies arise and your place be reached, we will contact you"

So has anyone gotten an offer from here on? I'm in the Dublin region, cheers.

Next, there's a boilerplate e-mail about pre-existing medical conditions / statement of truthfulness (don't mention that you're wanted for War Crimes and you'll be grand), then they'll ring to say they're checking your references. That's as far as I got.

Yes, others on this thread have since been given jobs, some starting over the next week or so. Dublin region if I recall correctly.

I can't see them giving the customary 4 weeks notice and bringing in new recruits at the start of December so I'd be looking at a New Year start (new tax year) at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

How long were people waiting for the results of stage 2? I hate waiting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭vegasgirl2015

lolli wrote: »

About 7 weeks

About 7 weeks

I may keep waiting so! Thanks for replying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lou121ie

Nope.
    Referees have to be extremely careful when supplying references as potential litigation can ensue quite easily if it transpires that negative feedback resulted in job opportunity being lost so try not to worry. Your supervisor will be aware of this and should be professional enough to provide basic reference which it seems is what they are looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

lolli wrote: »

They love to keep you waiting! Once you get your results, you'll have to wait to be called for interview, then wait for them results, then wait for reference checks, then wait to be placed. Its a long process:D

• Advertisement

alwaysadub wrote: »
    They love to keep you waiting! Once you get your results, you'll have to wait to be called for interview, then wait for them results, then wait for reference checks, then wait to be placed. Its a long process:D

Thanks for that :) I'm on my 6th temp contract, so i guess i've been lucky enough that Ive had a lot of work but i'd really love a permanent one, stability means a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Next, there's a boilerplate e-mail about pre-existing medical conditions / statement of truthfulness (don't mention that you're wanted for War Crimes and you'll be grand), then they'll ring to say they're checking your references. That's as far as I got.

Yes, others on this thread have since been given jobs, some starting over the next week or so. Dublin region if I recall correctly.

I can't see them giving the customary 4 weeks notice and bringing in new recruits at the start of December so I'd be looking at a New Year start (new tax year) at this point.

Cool thanks hopefully I'll hear further from them soon.
    When you say that's a far as you got, does that mean you haven't heard back beyond that?

MetalDog wrote: »
    Cool thanks hopefully I'll hear further from them soon.
    When you say that's a far as you got, does that mean you haven't heard back beyond that?

Yes - called to say they were looking at my references 10 days ago (Thursday week).
    Nothing since.:rolleyes:
    I have no idea if that's bad or good. And after 14 months of this stupidity, I have less of an interest. Their loss not mine. Always remember that.
    Running for POTUS takes less time than applying for a job at the lowest grade in the Irish CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Royal82

Got a phone call last night for reference checks. So I have to tell my boss this morning which puts me in a sh*tty position, because my boss could ask me to finish at the end of the day/week, and I could be out of a job for God knows how long!!!
    With Christmas coming up its not good at all. But the alternative is to turn it down and stay in a job that's not secure and that I do not like!!

Nice to have the choice I suppose! There are always people worse off, but surely there is a better way of doing things!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭svei

Royal82 wrote: »
    Got a phone call last night for reference checks. So I have to tell my boss this morning which puts me in a sh*tty position, because my boss could ask me to finish at the end of the day/week, and I could be out of a job for God knows how long!!!
    With Christmas coming up its not good at all. But the alternative is to turn it down and stay in a job that's not secure and that I do not like!!

Nice to have the choice I suppose! There are always people worse off, but surely there is a better way of doing things!

I agree. I had my references checked on the 11/9 and only got a job offer last Friday (7 weeks :(). But, I am in Wexford, Dublin seems to be moving a LOT faster so I'd be hopeful if I were you. I wish there was a different way of doing things but I imagine this is the most efficient way for them considering the amount of people they're dealing with. Again, I think you should be very hopeful, there seems to be so many jobs in Dublin (I am in the top 5 for my region and only got a job offer now)!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 niconoa

Anyone know where they are in the Mayo/ Roscommon region? Or what's happening in the region?

I just got assigned a place from the Cork panel! Got a letter this morning and a phonecall this afternoon from the place I'll be starting!
    Absolutely delighted, the tension at work was unbearable over the last week or so!

I'm number 131 on Cork panel, hope that helps someone!

Paintingglasses do you mind me asking where you were placed in Cork? I am 151 on the panel so hoping it wont be too long more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Headonfire2015

I just rang PAS to get some sort of confirmation on the panel and when it expires etc. this morning. Some people who I met face to face and are in the Public service told me it was two years after the panel has been formed. PAS told me this morning there is no exact end date but the panel should be expired at some stage next summer.

She also told me they were in the early 100's for job offers in Cork which is the panel I'm concerned with. I'm in the early 200's. I don't think I'm going to make it. Pretty heart wrechingly devastated about that :/

It seems to be moving very slow in Cork. I passed my interview in September, am I being overly pessimistic?

Is there a possibility that they can get to the early 200's by next summer???

Any advice or honest and real opinions (however gut wrenchingly negative they may be) are appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭svei

Any advice or honest and real opinions (however gut wrenchingly negative they may be) are appreciated!

That's a really hard one to answer... I wouldn't know, but my gut feeling is that they wouldn't have interviewed you unless they had enough positions. You can't be sure all the people ahead of you actually attended their interviews or, if they attended, that they passed, so you might actually be a little higher up on the panel than you think.

I wouldn't lose hope just yet (easier said than done, I know!). I just find it hard to believe they would spend the money interviewing people and then not place them. Paintinglasses was placed recently and he/she was number 131 for Cork so it is moving a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Headonfire2015

svei wrote: »
    That's a really hard one to answer... I wouldn't know, but my gut feeling is that they wouldn't have interviewed you unless they had enough positions. You can't be sure all the people ahead of you actually attended their interviews or, if they attended, that they passed, so you might actually be a little higher up on the panel than you think.

I wouldn't lose hope just yet (easier said than done, I know!). I just find it hard to believe they would spend the money interviewing people and then not place them. Paintinglasses was placed recently and he/she was number 131 for Cork so it is moving a bit.

Thanks Svei. I really hope so. Didn't think of some of the points you mentioned so fingers crossed you're right :) I feel like I'm teetering on a tight rope.

Congratulations on your job offer. Happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

lou121ie wrote:
    Paintingglasses do you mind me asking where you were placed in Cork? I am 151 on the panel so hoping it wont be too long more.

Hey I was placed in the CSO, starting in bout two weeks time. It still needs to be properly confirmed. I didn't think to ask the guy who rang if I was starting by myself (I doubt it) or how many were starting with me! I was so panicked when he rang! I've heard it's a nice place to work though.

Hopefully they'll get through the numbers fast, I was waiting 8 working days from reference checks to an offer of a position. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 niconoa

Hi niconoa, Im in the Mayo/ Roscommon region too. Placed mid 20's. Did you put in for the Castlebar positions? I havent told my boss yet so Im hoping it wont happen until next year as I will be leaving them very stuck at work. Will be taking a HUGE reduction in wages to join the CS but Im hoping it will be the right move in the long term... :-)

Heya. Yeah, I've put in for the castlebar jobs. The changing shift work pattern would be a bit of a pain but based in castlebar myself so no travel involved. I'd just like to hear something now at this stage!

Have you had references checked? I've passed the interview and that's all I've heard so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I just rang PAS to get some sort of confirmation on the panel and when it expires etc. this morning. Some people who I met face to face and are in the Public service told me it was two years after the panel has been formed. PAS told me this morning there is no exact end date but the panel should be expired at some stage next summer.

She also told me they were in the early 100's for job offers in Cork which is the panel I'm concerned with. I'm in the early 200's. I don't think I'm going to make it. Pretty heart wrechingly devastated about that :/

It seems to be moving very slow in Cork. I passed my interview in September, am I being overly pessimistic?

I was told once u are placed on the panel it expires 2 years from then, unless the panel goes dead or the government pulls the plug.
    Most people get a call when they least expect it so I for one am forgetting about it till I hear otherwise.

Hey I was placed in the CSO, starting in bout two weeks time. It still needs to be properly confirmed. I didn't think to ask the guy who rang if I was starting by myself (I doubt it) or how many were starting with me! I was so panicked when he rang! I've heard it's a nice place to work though.

Hopefully they'll get through the numbers fast, I was waiting 8 working days from reference checks to an offer of a position. Hope this helps!

Thanks a mill.. Thats great news now..I have heard nothing but good things about CSO.. great that you werent waiting too long either. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

Hi all,
    I got a call from PAS yesterdsay asking to go ahead with my reference checks. I'm 42 on the panel for Laois/Offaly/Westmeath. She said the position was in Tullamore. I told her Portlaoise would be my first choice, but I would accept Tullamore if it was offered to me, she said she would mention that on my file but she couldn't guarantee where the position would be. My boss spoke to me this morning and said he had received the call from them yesterday evening. He was lovely about it and said I was making a good decision. Did anyone else get a call yesterday in the same region?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

Anna1976 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I got a call from PAS yesterdsay asking to go ahead with my reference checks. I'm 42 on the panel for Laois/Offaly/Westmeath. She said the position was in Tullamore. I told her Portlaoise would be my first choice, but I would accept Tullamore if it was offered to me, she said she would mention that on my file but she couldn't guarantee where the position would be. My boss spoke to me this morning and said he had received the call from them yesterday evening. He was lovely about it and said I was making a good decision. Did anyone else get a call yesterday in the same region?

I'm number 43 I didn't get a call yesterday but they have already rang me a few weeks ago about athlone (dep of Ed ) and I also said that this area didn't suit me. Hope u get a place soon ðŸ‘

Lulucas wrote: »
    I'm number 43 I didn't get a call yesterday but they have already rang me a few weeks ago about athlone (dep of Ed ) and I also said that this area didn't suit me. Hope u get a place soon ðŸ‘

Which area are you hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭antoswords

Just off the phone there from the PAS, they are putting me forward for a Prison Service Admin and Support role, clearance takes about 4 weeks they say, then i will be assigned a location. Had my interview Tuesday of last week, surprised they got back so quick!

Anybody else go for the prison service? or have any idea what its like to work in them in a clerical/admin position?

Cheers !

antoswords wrote: »
    Just off the phone there from the PAS, they are putting me forward for a Prison Service Admin and Support role, clearance takes about 4 weeks they say, then i will be assigned a location. Had my interview Tuesday of last week, surprised they got back so quick!

Anybody else go for the prison service? or have any idea what its like to work in them in a clerical/admin position?

Cheers !

Congratulations, that certainly is quick. What area are you in?
    I know 2 people who work admin in the prison service and they like it. The hours are not always 9-5 but they don't do nights either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

antoswords wrote: »

Cheers !

From speaking to someone in the Prison Service, your dressed the same as a Prision Officer so prisoners will think you are a regular Prison officer and there is some prisoner contact. Some weekends are required and it's not just 9 to 5.

Advertisement