Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

Hi all,
    I have just got called for an interview nxt tuesday in Public appointments service in Dublin. I'm just wonder if anyone who already had an interview cud giv me some tips or help in what they ask or what i should expect. All advice greatly welcome thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Hi all,
    I have just got called for an interview nxt tuesday in Public appointments service in Dublin. I'm just wonder if anyone who already had an interview cud giv me some tips or help in what they ask or what i should expect. All advice greatly welcome thanks

I find being friendly yet not acting over-familar, confident but not arrogant a good start. Be matter of fact and try not to stray off topic and make eye contact and show you are listening and never talk over the interviewer when they are speaking or to second guess what they are about to say by putting words in their mouths! Most of all be yourself, you deserve to be at interview stage so act like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭svei

Hi all,

Hi ShellBell89, I can only say what mine was like but from reading posts here they all seem to be of a standard format. I was interviewed by two people, they were both really nice. The questions were solely about the competencies. I downloaded a document from the University of Limerick with sample questions (just google University of Limerick and competency based interviews and you'll find it) and it helped a lot to prepare me. They won't ask those exact questions of course, but it helps to get in the right frame of mind. Think the interview was about half an hour but it seems to vary from 20-40 minutes. They also asked me at the end where I'd like to work and that threw me a bit partly because I hadn't prepared for that question, but also because I honestly don't mind where I'm placed (but I didn't say that of course :)).

So, to sum up, really study the competencies and have examples from your own working life and you should be fine. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

Anna1976 wrote: »
    Which area are you hoping for?

Catlow Kilkenny would be ideal for me but portlaois is not to far away from me either athlone is way to far.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭snypers12

niconoa wrote: »
    Heya. Yeah, I've put in for the castlebar jobs. The changing shift work pattern would be a bit of a pain but based in castlebar myself so no travel involved. I'd just like to hear something now at this stage!

Have you had references checked? I've passed the interview and that's all I've heard so far.

Heya. I was 76th for this panel. Also passed the interview a few weeks ago. I emailed pas last week for an update and they said that they are doing the Garda vetting at the minute and that can take a few weeks. Hopefully we hear something soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Hi all,

Relate your experience in other jobs/internships/college to the job specs and give narrative examples of how you were able to accomplish different tasks, i.e. work to deadlines, deal with customers, work in a team, complete routine tasks to the best of your ability. Be assertive, friendly and professional.
    My interviewers were sound. They might ask you where you see yourself in a few years in the role, so be prepared for that too.
    Best of luck and hope you do great.

At last I got my letter this morning from PAS confirming my appointment with the Dep of Agriculture (Wexford panel)! For anybody wondering about time frames, I got a phone call last Friday assigning me to a position, but I only got the official letter today - a week later. Now I have to wait for the Dep of Agriculture to contact me re start date - another wait :rolleyes: ...

At least they've given me a contact on the letter that I can e-mail should I have any queries, but I'll wait another week before I do that. Looking back on other posts, it can be anything from today to a couple of weeks down the line before they contact me with a start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 niconoa

snypers12 wrote: »
    Heya. I was 76th for this panel. Also passed the interview a few weeks ago. I emailed pas last week for an update and they said that they are doing the Garda vetting at the minute and that can take a few weeks. Hopefully we hear something soon

Thanks for the update. We'll be waiting a while so! Probably best to forget about it and then be pleasantly surprised if I hear anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ciartastix

was querying meath/louth and kildare/wicklow with pas they've called 170 to stage two in meath/louth and approximately 540 for kildare/louth. The results of stage two kildare/louth are due in the next fortnight or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

ciartastix wrote: »
    was querying meath/louth and kildare/wicklow with pas they've called 170 to stage two in meath/louth and approximately 540 for kildare/louth. The results of stage two kildare/louth are due in the next fortnight or so

thanks for that, I've been driving myself mad waiting.... may wait some more :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

Lulucas wrote: »
    Catlow Kilkenny would be ideal for me but portlaois is not to far away from me either athlone is way to far.

What number did you place in Carlow Kilkenny? They seem to be moving faster than Laois Offaly. I'm kind of hoping I won't get a start date till January, would like to be where I am for Christmas. I'll keep you updated when I get my letter of assignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kitty3kids

Just off the phone there now. I'm after being placed with the adoption agency based in ballsbridge starting on the 30th of November. Delighted doesn't describe how I feel right now.

kitty3kids wrote: »
    Just off the phone there now. I'm after being placed with the adoption agency based in ballsbridge starting on the 30th of November. Delighted doesn't describe how I feel right now.

Wow, that was fast - Dublin seems to be moving with lightening speed :).

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

What number did you place in Carlow Kilkenny? They seem to be moving faster than Laois Offaly. I'm kind of hoping I won't get a start date till January, would like to be where I am for Christmas. I'll keep you updated when I get my letter of assignment.

I am 102 Kk/Carlow fingers crossed I will hear soon.. Yes please let me know when u hear anymore. Hope u get where u want..

Just got my start date 7/12! I didn't think they'd want anybody in before Christmas but I was wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭archie199

Congratulations! Where are you based? They wanted me to start soon but I will be away travelling till just before Christmas. I got it deferred till January 4th so I'm delighted!

archie199 wrote: »
    Congratulations! Where are you based? They wanted me to start soon but I will be away travelling till just before Christmas. I got it deferred till January 4th so I'm delighted!

That's great that they could accommodate your start date - they hummed and hawed a bit about me needing to give a months notice but I think it seems standard nowadays? I'm in Wexford and have been assigned to the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine. Where are you off to?

svei wrote: »
    Just got my start date 7/12! I didn't think they'd want anybody in before Christmas but I was wrong!

Congratulations, how long is it since they checked your references? I had mine checked last week, but have no idea how long till I get the official offer, some people seem to wait up to 8 weeks, others only a week or two.

Congratulations, how long is it since they checked your references? I had mine checked last week, but have no idea how long till I get the official offer, some people seem to wait up to 8 weeks, others only a week or two.

Well don't rely on me for statistics as my references were checked 8 weeks ago on 11/9 :(! I think my case is a bit out of the ordinary though as other regions are moving quicker. I was in the top 5 for Waterford/Wexford but I turned down Waterford and was holding out for Wexford.

svei wrote: »
    Well don't rely on me for statistics as my references were checked 8 weeks ago on 11/9 :(! I think my case is a bit out of the ordinary though as other regions are moving quicker. I was in the top 5 for Waterford/Wexford but I turned down Waterford and was holding out for Wexford.

I'm hoping not to hear anything till after the first week of December because I don't want to start a new position till January. I've worked here 19 years so would like to have one last Christmas here. Best of luck to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Cokkini

Stage 2 tomorrow, dreading it. Has anyone who has completed it any tips/advice?

Cokkini wrote: »
    Stage 2 tomorrow, dreading it. Has anyone who has completed it any tips/advice?

I found it very similar to stage 1. I studied the example questions and that helped a lot. There'll be three sections, verbal reasoning, numerical, and checking information (error checking). I found the numerical the toughest as maths isn't my strong point but the verbal and error checking were grand. They go through the different sections of the test very carefully with you before you start and you get a chance to do some sample tests before the real one begins. I would urge you to do the sample tests on the link sent to you when you got the invitation, it really helps to be familiar with the format on the day. Just don't stress on the day (if you can help it), especially with the error checking as the goal is not to be the fastest but to be accurate.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bear85

Has anyone else in Limerick Tipp got a call in the last few days for reference checks? I got a call on Saturday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Hershall

Hi folks.
    First time on this thread.
    I had applied for laois/Offaly/Westmeath, Mayo/Roscommon and Galway /Clare.
    Was placed a long way back for all regions after stage 1.
    Got a message today to attend next week for stage 2.
    I had more or less given up on it as I was so far back but they must be moving through them pretty quickly.
    It may not lead to anything but at least its progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bebie

Hi. I've been called to stage 2 also. Just a couple of questions to those who have been through it. Are there any practice tests out there to do. Can you use a calculator?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

bebie wrote: »
    Hi. I've been called to stage 2 also. Just a couple of questions to those who have been through it. Are there any practice tests out there to do. Can you use a calculator?

Thanks!

There are links a couple of pages back to practice tests, I think. The ones on publicjobs.ie are the closest though.

A calculator is essential. So essential that they provide one for you on the day - but get used to working out percentages, multiplying / dividing etc. on one in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 teradata123

What jobs exactly are these?also what approx salary

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What jobs exactly are these?also what approx salary

By any chance did you read the thread, particularly the first few pages:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lou121ie

I got a call yesterday evening for reference checks for Cork region. I am number 151. I asked what department the jobs were available in, but woman I spoke to didn't have that information. All she could say was a dept. from cork has got onto them with positions and they were proceeding to check references etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 laoisgirl

Antoswords What number on the panel were you ? I know a girl that works there and she loves it - u are in same uniform as prison officers - I've only done stage 2 tests couple of weeks ago so interested to see how quick Laois Offaly is moving and if I even have a chance !!

Advertisement