Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 peachypyro

I was place 142 in Cork and I have just gotten an offer for the Central Statistics Office.
    It involves a move from Clare to Cork, but I'm delighted I finally got the offer!

Can anyone tell me if they know what the CSO is like as a workplace? I know nothing about it so anything and everything is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Got the letter today offering me a position in DSP. So the wait is over....I'm in.
    No when or where yet. Hopefully city centre.
    Time to clean the house, close down the knocking shop then buy a bowler hat and umbrella - that is what the modern civil servant wears, isn't it ?

This will be you soon so:

6a00d8341d417153ef0163059a1616970d-550wi

Anyone who did exam on Oct 13 get their results yet? Seeing as it was on a computer the results would be instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

peachypyro wrote: »
    I was place 142 in Cork and I have just gotten an offer for the Central Statistics Office.
    It involves a move from Clare to Cork, but I'm delighted I finally got the offer!

Can anyone tell me if they know what the CSO is like as a workplace? I know nothing about it so anything and everything is appreciated!

Congrats! Just out of curiosity when did they check your references?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 peachypyro

Congrats! Just out of curiosity when did they check your references?

About two weeks ago? maybe not even that long. I wasn't expecting an offer this side of Christmas but there you go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

In case anyone else is wondering about Carlow / Kilkenny, rang PAS today to see where they were. Couldn't tell me much, they'd placed to late 80s and that there were a few people in clearance and they'd ring me when they got to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Anyone who did exam on Oct 13 get their results yet? Seeing as it was on a computer the results would be instant.

At mine they said the results would be out in November, my friend sat hers a few days later and she was told December.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

lolli wrote: »
    At mine they said the results would be out in November, my friend sat hers a few days later and she was told December.

I emailed them recently and they said mid dec. They did say Nov on the day of the exam but they email said that was an error...

connectq wrote: »
    I emailed them recently and they said mid dec. They did say Nov on the day of the exam but they email said that was an error...

Yeah, I thought they had said mid November to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Headonfire2015

I'm pretty sure it's 140s for positions and 150s for reference checks

Also side note - if they're in the 200s for Limerick surely they'll get to that number in Cork

Anytime I have rang PAS about Cork its as if they are not clued in at all. They keep telling me they are at the 120's. At least this board is giving me better information.

Good news that it seems to be moving a bit. Don't forget Limerick is "Limerick/Tipperary" so maybe that's why its moving faster? Hopefully you're right about them reaching over 200 in Cork... I'm between 200-220 and the waiting is painful. I am just praying to god most high that they reach my number eventually!! PAS said they still haven't got any information on when the panel will expire. They said it could be 18 months, 2 years or even 3 years. Its up to the dept. of Finance to pull the plug.

Good luck to everyone else that has struck gold so far. Delighted for you all. Com'on Cork...Keep Moving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Hershall

Just wondering as l am doing stage 2 on Friday will they hold off giving out results for that region until they have completed all the tests for that particular region?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Did the stage 2 tests for EO a couple of months back. Everyone was dressed casually. T-shirts and jeans with nobody paying any attention. Some may have been designer. We all had raincoats. Bring what's comfortable. There'll be a cloakroom for coats, bags and mobiles.
    Regarding myself, that was a Saturday so candidates were off work - this time round for the CO it's Friday so some people will be knocking off work to do the tests- there might be suits in the room. Doesn't mean anything.

Are your personal belongings remotely safe? I know they give out the standard line that they take no responsibility etc but surely some others must have reservations about just leaving their stuff in a room? Have there been any stories of stuff going missing? To be honest, the way they've spelled it out, I don't fancy leaving my coat, never mind my new mobile. So you can't put your coat on the back of a chair or something? I can't see them frisking anyone!

Anyone any feedback on this? It seems daft to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Are your personal belongings remotely safe? I know they give out the standard line that they take no responsibility etc but surely some others must have reservations about just leaving their stuff in a room? Have there been any stories of stuff going missing? To be honest, the way they've spelled it out, I don't fancy leaving my coat, never mind my new mobile. So you can't put your coat on the back of a chair or something? I can't see them frisking anyone!

Anyone any feedback on this? It seems daft to me.

All personal items are left in a room and its locked during exam.

Completed stage two today we were told results would be available in November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hershall wrote: »
    Completed stage two today we were told results would be available in November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone above emailed them and they said December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

connectq wrote: »
    All personal items are left in a room and its locked during exam.

Yeah, I saw that on the day. But not indicated on the familiarisation booklet. What I did see though was that you were allowed wear whatever you needed for comfort. So, I was 'cold' and wore my coat in. The only one to do so. Then put it on the back of my chair when I was good and ready.

Just because they are locked away does not guarantee they are safe. In their eyes perhaps. I am sure they have their protocols but I also have mine. And they are of a higher standard.

I thought the test environment was fantastic. Felt I flew; this time around. When I first did this test at home, I was rusty but, now that I've been through the grinder of the EO Tax, Audit and Compliance competition, and placed on the panel, I flew this. Actually enjoyed it.

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Royal82

Got my letter today, I'm going to be in DPER (Dublin region), just have to wait for a phone call from hr in DPER to confirm my start date and location etc. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

Called PAS RE: Longford Leitrim Sligo & they're in mid 40's

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

Any update on Laois/Offaly/Westmeath?
    PAS phoned me 3 weeks ago about checking my references but I haven't heard anything since.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 laura911

Gickyk wrote: »
    Called PAS RE: Longford Leitrim Sligo & they're in mid 40's

Hi Gickyk,

Thanks for the update, I'm waiting on that panel, think we are similar numbers! Where would suit you best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

laura911 wrote: »
    Hi Gickyk,

Thanks for the update, I'm waiting on that panel, think we are similar numbers! Where would suit you best?

Longford ideally but wouldn't mind Carrick. How bout u? I'm low 80s !

• Registered Users Posts: 16 laura911

Gickyk wrote: »
    Longford ideally but wouldn't mind Carrick. How bout u? I'm low 80s !

Sligo would be ideal but at this rate I'd just be happy getting placed anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 21 niconoa

For those interested in the Mayo/Roscommon region and the GISC positions, looks like there will be 17 CO positions filled before Christmas. That's on the cpsu website. Don't know if there's been movement on these positions yet but that's something I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lou121ie

Anyone from the Cork region in the 150's know if their references have actually been checked? I rec'd call two weeks ago from PAS asking could they check mine ASAP but nothing has been checked as of yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

Update on Laois/ Offaly/Westmeath.
    I got a letter today saying I'm being assigned to the Dept of Agriculture in Portlaoise. No start date yet, I'm so thrilled because they phoned me 3 weeks ago and said there were positions in Tullamore, but Portlaoise was always my first choice. Did anyone else get assigned to the dept of Agric in Portlaoise? It would be a bit daunting starting on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭svei

Anna1976 wrote: »
    I got a letter today saying I'm being assigned to the Dept of Agriculture in Portlaoise. No start date yet, I'm so thrilled because they phoned me 3 weeks ago and said there were positions in Tullamore, but Portlaoise was always my first choice. Did anyone else get assigned to the dept of Agric in Portlaoise? It would be a bit daunting starting on my own.

Congratulations! I'm starting in the Department of Agriculture in Wexford on the 7/12 and know what you mean about starting on your own - I hope there are others too! I got the letter on the Friday and a phone call on the Monday to arrange a start date, so with any luck you should be hearing from them tomorrow or the next day.

Anna1976 wrote: »

Fair play to you well done. I only did stage two last Friday if I was lucky enough to get through I'd be hoping for athlone or possibly Tullamore. I'd say agriculture would be a grand dept. to get good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

Anyone know how long Clearance normally takes please ..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭svei

Lulucas wrote: »

If by clearance you mean references and garda vetting then it depends on your referees. My referee was contacted within a day of them ringing me (he rang them back a couple of days later) but the garda vetting takes time. I filled in the garda vetting form at my interview on the 19/8 and when I got my letter saying which department I was assigned to (on the 6/11) it said my garda vetting wasn't back yet. I've since got my contract and start date (with garda vetting pending) so it's very slow. I wouldn't mind only I've filled one in about 5 years ago, so they should really only need to check what I've done after that. Seems to be a very inefficient system. My husband got his police clearance from Sweden within a week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Lulucas wrote: »

Is that for Carlow/Kilkenny?

Advertisement