Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Eoinie87

Thank you Jules86 and hershall, I'm less than 30 behind you at stage one hopefully hear soon

• Registered Users Posts: 38 laoisgirl

Quote eoinie87 I was in the 400's I think ! Did exam in October and got message last week to say I am In 70s and message today to go interview in 2 weeks !!

Anna1976 wrote: »
    Anna how long after interview were u / references contacted ? I have an interview in 2 weeks for Laois Offaly

jules86 wrote: »
    I got invited to interview also ! I'm in 70s - there was a girl on here in the 40s placed a week or so ago - wonder if it's moving quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

lou121ie wrote: »
    I've been placed with HSE in Cork City. I was 151 in case its any help.. Waiting on pre-screening etc. and Contract at the moment.

Congrats! Hse in town or?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 lou121ie

Congrats! Hse in town or?

Infirmary Road so City Centre.. Hope your post comes up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sligo22

Sat stage 2 on 11th Nov - still waiting on results. Ranked 168th in stage 1 for Galway-Clare region. Has anyone else placed in Galway- Clare yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Sligo22 wrote: »
    Sat stage 2 on 11th Nov - still waiting on results. Ranked 168th in stage 1 for Galway-Clare region. Has anyone else placed in Galway- Clare yet?

Have they brought a second round of people for stage 2 in Galway-Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sligo22

Fooker wrote: »
    Have they brought a second round of people for stage 2 in Galway-Clare?

I don't know. Just know that I sat stage 2 in Nov for that region- no idea if any more after that. Waiting this long for results is a pain... Might be the end of December before results are out they said :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eamo21

Hello All,

I have a quick question I was hoping you guys might be able to answer.

Before I was notified on Thursday that I had an interview for CO positions, I began working with a company in Dublin. I was eager to start a job as you can imagine. However, I really do not like the job I started two weeks ago and would like to quit.

I am worried that If I quit it will negatively effect my chances of getting the Clerical Officer position. Do you know if the Public Appointments Service can access your work record from your PPS number?

If I quit my current job and did not put that I had worked there on my CO application form would they find out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

PAS would not have access to your paye records. You could claim a continuous period of unemployment or indeed tell the truth. The downside to telling the truth being that they may look for a reference from your current employer who may well seek to sabotage your CO career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

eamo21 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I have a quick question I was hoping you guys might be able to answer.

Before I was notified on Thursday that I had an interview for CO positions, I began working with a company in Dublin. I was eager to start a job as you can imagine. However, I really do not like the job I started two weeks ago and would like to quit.

I am worried that If I quit it will negatively effect my chances of getting the Clerical Officer position. Do you know if the Public Appointments Service can access your work record from your PPS number?

If I quit my current job and did not put that I had worked there on my CO application form would they find out?

I don't think they can see that kind of information but if they could and used it they could possibly be in breach of data protection.

You don't have to say where you're working at the moment. Maybe you should hold on to the job for a bit longer because it could still take a while to be placed if you're successful at interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

laoisgirl wrote: »
    Anna1976 wrote: »
    Anna how long after interview were u / references contacted ? I have an interview in 2 weeks for Laois Offaly

Hi Laoisgirl,
    it was just over 3 months for me, but everyone seems to be different. It all depends on the area and how quickly the departments need staff. Best of luck with the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

Hi
    hoping some can help me out. I just found out I passed my interview that i had for Dublin region. The thing is I was very high number after aptitude test. So just wondering what would be my chances of being offered job anytime soon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

Hi all I have to do a medical assessment this week. Has anyone else done one before or knows what it's like??? I'm starting on the 14th all going well..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Lulucas wrote: »
    Hi all I have to do a medical assessment this week. Has anyone else done one before or knows what it's like??? I'm starting on the 14th all going well..

They wanted a medical report from my GP before even checking my refs. Just the routine height, weight, blood pressure checks. I'm sure they ask tons of people who aren't 40 to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

They wanted a medical report from my GP before even checking my refs. Just the routine height, weight, blood pressure checks. I'm sure they ask tons of people who aren't 40 to do the same.

I have ta go to a Dr assigned by them.... I have never had to do this before. I'm sur it will be all the same stuff.

Lulucas wrote: »
    I have ta go to a Dr assigned by them.... I have never had to do this before. I'm sur it will be all the same stuff.

Yes. And their assigned doctor is just another GP - nothing special. They can't refuse to take you on medical grounds (exceptional circumstances notwithstanding - have you got the plague ?, 6 weeks to live ?, Ebola ?). This job involves the ability to pick up a pencil and tap at a keyboard.
    Not disclosing a medical condition would be grounds for a change of mind on their part. As it stands both you and I will be fighting (un)fit and honestly so on day one. Plenty of self-declared 100% Olympian 21 year olds will be down with manflu within a month.

And good luck with the tests - given that he is a civil service doc, best not to ask for free drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Yes. And their assigned doctor is just another GP - nothing special. They can't refuse to take you on medical grounds (exceptional circumstances notwithstanding - have you got the plague ?, 6 weeks to live ?, Ebola ?). This job involves the ability to pick up a pencil and tap at a keyboard. Not disclosing a medical condition would be grounds for a change of mind on their part. As it stands both you and I will be fighting (un)fit and honestly so on day one. Plenty of self-declared 100% Olympian 21 year olds will be down with manflu within a month.

Is there a charge for the medical?

Is there a charge for the medical?

I was told to go to my local GP. I'm on a medical card so no charge.
    If anyone is being referred to a civil service doctor there shouldn't be a fee. They and not the patient pay for his time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dame_lucy

Hello! I just got a call regarding being placed in Cork. I will accept it but would prefer Galway. Anyone wanting to transfer from Galway to Cork and we could swap? Or does anyone know the transfer process? Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

dame_lucy wrote: »
    Hello! I just got a call regarding being placed in Cork. I will accept it but would prefer Galway. Anyone wanting to transfer from Galway to Cork and we could swap? Or does anyone know the transfer process? Thanks:)

What number are you? And I think you have to wait a hear before applying for a transfer but I'm sure you could find someone then

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dame_lucy

What number are you? And I think you have to wait a hear before applying for a transfer but I'm sure you could find someone then

I am 150s for Cork. It would be great to find someone who wants to be in Cork so that I could hold onto my apartment in Galway!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

Folks . Got results of stage 2. In 40's for Cavan /Monaghan & 80's for Sligo/leitrim/Roscommon. What do ye think are the chances of being called for interview ? Sorry if similar post already but I only check posts from time to time with young baby. Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rafa2012

Does any one know how Donegal is going? Passed interview in July and no word since...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eamondevaney

Hello All,

I was placed 1531 in the Dublin Region at Stage 2 testing. I have an interview next week.

If I was to pass the interview, could anyone hazard guess as to when I might be placed? (I know this might sound like 'How long is a piece of string?') Could be 2 - 6 months? or Am I too far down the list to be called at all?

Grateful for any insights you guys have!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

speedygirl wrote: »
    Folks . Got results of stage 2. In 40's for Cavan /Monaghan & 80's for Sligo/leitrim/Roscommon. What do ye think are the chances of being called for interview ? Sorry if similar post already but I only check posts from time to time with young baby. Tia

Can only speak for the Department I work in in Cavan but we have not taken on any new CO's in about 8 months. Even at that it was only one CO who was taken over from a staff member who moved to the County Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

I got a call a week and a half ago to say I'm being placed in the Dept. Of Agriculture. The lady that day said she would send out a letter and my contract, but no sign yet. How long does it usually take for the contract to be sent out?? Also I'm wondering is it mandatory to pay into a pension fund and if so how much is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

gazzer wrote: »
    Can only speak for the Department I work in in Cavan but we have not taken on any new CO's in about 8 months. Even at that it was only one CO who was taken over from a staff member who moved to the County Council.
    OK thanks :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

speedygirl wrote: »
    I'm in Cavan/Monaghan too and did my interview towards the end of August. I got my results a week if so later and have heard nothing since. I'm top 5.

Advertisement