Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭svei

Anna1976 wrote: »
    I got a call a week and a half ago to say I'm being placed in the Dept. Of Agriculture. The lady that day said she would send out a letter and my contract, but no sign yet. How long does it usually take for the contract to be sent out?? Also I'm wondering is it mandatory to pay into a pension fund and if so how much is it?

I started in the Dep of Agriculture last Monday so can answer about the contract (haven't been paid yet so don't know about pension). It took about a week between my phone call and the letter arriving re my placement. I then got a call a couple of days after the letter asking when I could start. She said then that contracts where being sent out that day but it took a further week before that happened... Pension fund is mandatory, but as I said, I don't know how much that is exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

svei wrote: »
    I started in the Dep of Agriculture last Monday so can answer about the contract (haven't been paid yet so don't know about pension). It took about a week between my phone call and the letter arriving re my placement. I then got a call a couple of days after the letter asking when I could start. She said then that contracts where being sent out that day but it took a further week before that happened... Pension fund is mandatory, but as I said, I don't know how much that is exactly.

Thanks for the information. How are you liking your new position? Is it monthly or fortnightly pay?

Anna1976 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. How are you liking your new position? Is it monthly or fortnightly pay?

It's all been good so far, people are lovely but it's very disorganised and training is non-existent (even existing staff say they don't have a clue what they're doing!). I'm in Wexford so I presume we do slightly different work to what you will be doing (Portlaoise is it?). Nobody has had time to explain to me what they actually do so at the moment I'm just printing whatever they tell me to print and trying to listen in as much as I can. I'm working with environmental grants to farmers and it's quite complicated - there's a lot of terminology I've never heard of before. It's just manic at the moment trying to get the payments out before Christmas but they say it'll quieten down after that a bit and they can go through stuff with me then.

Pay is weekly (!) so all going well I should be paid on Friday. We have flexi time which I'm waiting to be set up on. It's totally relaxed regarding hours, people stroll in at 10 if they want to. As long as they do their weekly hours nobody cares.

As I said, it's a very relaxed environment to work in so I think you will like it. Everybody has been very nice and very excited to get permanent staff, I'm the first permanent staff taken on in my section for more than 10 years!

Hope this helps, I can let you know when I get paid what the pension deductions are but I'll probably be on emergency tax for a while as my p45 from my old job still hasn't arrived... Still, pension deductions shouldn't be any different. Let me know if you have any further questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

I'm in Cavan/Monaghan too and did my interview towards the end of August. I got my results a week if so later and have heard nothing since. I'm top 5.

OK thanks . Nothing stirring in that location then.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Hershall

It's all been good so far, people are lovely but it's very disorganised and training is non-existent (even existing staff say they don't have a clue what they're doing!). I'm in Wexford so I presume we do slightly different work to what you will be doing (Portlaoise is it?). Nobody has had time to explain to me what they actually do so at the moment I'm just printing whatever they tell me to print and trying to listen in as much as I can. I'm working with environmental grants to farmers and it's quite complicated - there's a lot of terminology I've never heard of before. It's just manic at the moment trying to get the payments out before Christmas but they say it'll quieten down after that a bit and they can go through stuff with me then.

Pay is weekly (!) so all going well I should be paid on Friday. We have flexi time which I'm waiting to be set up on. It's totally relaxed regarding hours, people stroll in at 10 if they want to. As long as they do their weekly hours nobody cares.

As I said, it's a very relaxed environment to work in so I think you will like it. Everybody has been very nice and very excited to get permanent staff, I'm the first permanent staff taken on in my section for more than 10 years!

Hope this helps, I can let you know when I get paid what the pension deductions are but I'll probably be on emergency tax for a while as my p45 from my old job still hasn't arrived... Still, pension deductions shouldn't be any different. Let me know if you have any further questions.

I presume it's something like the glas scheme you're working on. I would love that coming from a farming background. It will quieten down alright when those payments go out. Good luck with it the main thing is not to get frustrated and go with the flow! !!!!!!!

• Advertisement

It's great that people have been friendly to you and that they are excited to be getting new staff, I've been a bit worried about being the newbie and going into an environment where groups have already formed. You would think they would have a better system for training, but maybe as you say its just a busy time and in the new year things will quieten down allowing them to show you the ropes. Yes I'm going to be based in Portlaoise. Thanks again for all the info, it helps ease the worries a bit.

Hershall wrote: »
    I presume it's something like the glas scheme you're working on. I would love that coming from a farming background. It will quieten down alright when those payments go out. Good luck with it the main thing is not to get frustrated and go with the flow! !!!!!!!

Thanks! I'm working on a different scheme but yes, it's similar to the glas scheme. I'm still a bit shocked that the training is so poor, but as you say, I'll just have to go with the flow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bear85

pepper61 wrote: »
    Received letter this week. Going to HSE. I was 232 for lmk/tipp if that helps anyone. A friend also got letter for Revenue. I don't have a start date yet but I am so happy to be assigned a department.

Congrats! Did you get your start date yet or did they tell you which HSE building? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

speedygirl wrote: »
    OK thanks . Nothing stirring in that location then.
    Doesn't look like it. i'm considering leaving some banana skins outside the Revenue office in Monaghan Town.

Doesn't look like it. i'm considering leaving some banana skins outside the Revenue office in Monaghan Town.

Ha ha good one :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 MrsWoman

Hi. Can anyone tell me the latest number offered a position in Kildare/Wicklow?

Anna1976: Got my payslip today and basic pay is €409.05 per week. €12.27 was then deducted for pension and tax/usc/prsi paid on the remainder. Let me know if you want further figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gillic

Hi, I have my interview next week. How much prep are people doing? I'm really nervous, I recently had an interview and I didn't get it. It was for a council. I really need to get this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 iliketrees

Hi, the Wexford Co panel seems to be moving so slow, I am placed in the 100's so I might never get offer a position on this. I am also on Carlow/Kilkenny panel and ranked a bit higher and from reading here there is a possibility they may get to me sometime soon. Is anybody doing the commute from Enniscorthy to Kilkenny City? Is it worth it? I know its a case of how long is a piece of string but if anyone has experience of driving up and back each day I would like to hear your views on this. Thanks

Anna1976: Got my payslip today and basic pay is €409.05 per week. €12.27 was then deducted for pension and tax/usc/prsi paid on the remainder. Let me know if you want further figures.

Thanks for letting me know, I suppose €12 isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

gillic wrote: »
    Hi, I have my interview next week. How much prep are people doing? I'm really nervous, I recently had an interview and I didn't get it. It was for a council. I really need to get this one.

As regards amount of preparation, different strokes for different folks. Know the competencies and have a few relevant examples from your school / work life to hand. There'll probably be two people interviewing you. One taking notes, one asking questions.
    They want you to succeed and they'll probably be in a generous mood it being Christmas and all. Read back over the thread and you'll find most people were pleasantly surprised by how the interview went. Remember, you've passed 2 stages to get here - this isn't an interview where you just walked in off the street.
    Good luck, don't overthink it and have a good Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bankprop

Hi folks,
    Has anyone heard anything about the Garda Information Services Centre jobs in AGS Castlebar Mayo?
    They asked if I was interested 8 weeks ago but heard nothing since.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Hershall

Hi folks i completed stage 2 on 20/11/15 just wondering if anybody from around that date had heard anything as i havent heard anything yet???

As regards amount of preparation, different strokes for different folks. Know the competencies and have a few relevant examples from your school / work life to hand. There'll probably be two people interviewing you. One taking notes, one asking questions.
    They want you to succeed and they'll probably be in a generous mood it being Christmas and all. Read back over the thread and you'll find most people were pleasantly surprised by how the interview went. Remember, you've passed 2 stages to get here - this isn't an interview where you just walked in off the street.
    Good luck, don't overthink it and have a good Christmas.

Thank you so much, you have really put my mind at ease, I really appreciate it. I hope you have a great christmas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Hershall wrote: »
    Hi folks i completed stage 2 on 20/11/15 just wondering if anybody from around that date had heard anything as i havent heard anything yet???

I did stage 2 on the 10th November and haven't heard anything back yet. Think they said to expect results mid December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 tzxp

Is it normal to feel like your interview didn't go very well? Had mine earlier and don't feel like I said enough to pass, either totally froze and couldn't think of an answer or waffled on about god only knows what, so embarrassed looking back on it. Annoyed with myself for letting the nerves get the better of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Anyone know of a number higher than 151 that's been placed in Cork?

tzxp wrote: »
    Is it normal to feel like your interview didn't go very well? Had mine earlier and don't feel like I said enough to pass, either totally froze and couldn't think of an answer or waffled on about god only knows what, so embarrassed looking back on it. Annoyed with myself for letting the nerves get the better of me.

I am sure you done fine, we all tend to over think these things when they are done. Don't worry about freezing, they know people are going to be nervous. fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Mullcorr

Hi Folks,

I have an interview end of this week. Extremely nervous, like all here I really want & need to be successful, so much depending on it :/ . I've read the advise above in having some examples for each of the competencies ready. Is there anything else I can/need to do?

How long do the interviews last and is it similar to the TCO interview but just longer? I appreciate people may not be able to post much publicly but if there's any advice or tips that any of you who have been successful can give even by pm, i'd really appreciate it x

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stickmam

Did Stage 2 for Wicklow/Kildare (no other region) on 27/11. We were told on the day results would be out end November. Then I heard mid December. Now I'm hearing early January. Any one else in the same boat? Very frustrating having to wait so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 niconoa

Bankprop wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Has anyone heard anything about the Garda Information Services Centre jobs in AGS Castlebar Mayo?
    They asked if I was interested 8 weeks ago but heard nothing since.

Thanks
    Hi, was asked if I was interested back in September, have passed interview and haven't heard anything yet so sorta similar boat.

From what I've heard, they were meant to get some COs before the Christmas but not sure if that has gone ahead. Talking to people , it's a tough job due to the continuously changing shift pattern so staff end up leaving so may be more jobs down the road in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Had my interview today, felt it went well. The interviewers were really lovely.

lolli wrote: »
    Had my interview today, felt it went well. The interviewers were really lovely.

Hi lolli. How long was the interview& was it mainly questions are the competencies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

speedygirl wrote: »
    Hi lolli. How long was the interview& was it mainly questions are the competencies ?

It was 25 minutes, it was all about the competencies. There were no trick questions or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 tzxp

lolli wrote: »
    It was 25 minutes, it was all about the competencies. There were no trick questions or anything.

Did they say how long it'd be before results are out?

Advertisement