Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

Ya that's where you'll start from. It's till better than no money.

Well, of course it's better than no money but I think it's fair enough to say the money isn't great at the start. I've worked for two years in Social Protection so I know the work, it's hard sitting opposite or beside someone doing the same level of work and know you're getting paid a lot less than them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

ruadh wrote: »
    Well, of course it's better than no money but I think it's fair enough to say the money isn't great at the start. I've worked for two years in Social Protection so I know the work, it's hard sitting opposite or beside someone doing the same level of work and know you're getting paid a lot less than them

The other things like pension, flexi time, job security, relaxed atmosphere, getting days off I want without problem make up for it for me. There's been part pay restoration this year and more to follow next year as well. Sure, the person opposite me is on more than me doing the same job but I don't mind. They've been in the civil service donkey's years so they've put their time in.

I took a 5k pay increase (and much less stress) joining the civil service. That's how badly paid I was in my last job.

Interview results released for Galway/Clare. Is it actually possible to fail it? Now to wait ... again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 relative1

Results from interview Saturday. ..passed. .now have to wait and see if I get a post...quick turnaround on results! !

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I rang up the psa re the Cork panel and he said they were on 145/mid 150s so we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stickmam

Was asked to provide 3 referees - I only have 2 though. Is it going to be an issue, does anyone know. Have an interview next week.

ruadh wrote: »
    Interview results released for Galway/Clare. Is it actually possible to fail it? Now to wait ... again ...

Ya, not everyone that has posted here has been successful at interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Stickmam wrote: »
    Was asked to provide 3 referees - I only have 2 though. Is it going to be an issue, does anyone know. Have an interview next week.

This won't be a problem. I only had one referee to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stickmam

egan2020 wrote: »
    This won't be a problem. I only had one referee to give.

Thanks - one less thing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Passed interview too. Who knows when I'll be placed. Will update.

I only gave two references and they are VERY old.

• Advertisement

The other things like pension, flexi time, job security, relaxed atmosphere, getting days off I want without problem make up for it for me. There's been part pay restoration this year and more to follow next year as well. Sure, the person opposite me is on more than me doing the same job but I don't mind. They've been in the civil service donkey's years so they've put their time in.

I took a 5k pay increase (and much less stress) joining the civil service. That's how badly paid I was in my last job.

Flexi-time makes up for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I've been invited for interview for the Louth/Meath region but i've already passed interview for the Dublin region. Am i right in thinking this is a mistake? As in, once you pass one region you're good for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

corny wrote: »
    I've been invited for interview for the Louth/Meath region but i've already passed interview for the Dublin region. Am i right in thinking this is a mistake? As in, once you pass one region you're good for all.

Yes, same thing happened me.. Just give them a call..

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

Starting in social protection HQ Longford on 15th !! Any others hear yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bebie

Gickyk wrote: »

Well done! Can I ask were you waiting long from interview to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Gickyk wrote: »

May I be so bold as to ask what your placement/ranking was?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 losh99

Hello.. could I please ask, does flexi apply in all departments? Have Ben successful at interview last week. Waiting on a placement - hopefully not too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

jimba wrote: »
    I felt the same after mine and am awaiting my first increment as we speak having been in a year now. You'll be fine. Also, in a lighthearted way, you are aptly named.

Passed the interview anyway phew. Got a message Wednesday .very quick. Any idea how long before placement ?

Has boards being down for last few days ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

losh99 wrote: »
    Hello.. could I please ask, does flexi apply in all departments? Have Ben successful at interview last week. Waiting on a placement - hopefully not too long.

At CO level, to my knowledge - yes. However, once you've built up a day or day and a half you can't just head for the hills without clearing it with your line manager. If four people are in the queue ahead of you for the Friday after Paddys Day, she may tell you it isn't feasible.
    speedygirl wrote: »
    Passed the interview anyway phew. Got a message Wednesday .very quick. Any idea how long before placement ?

Has boards being down for last few days ??

Yes. DDOS attack by script kiddies (or evil all powerful hackers :rolleyes:)

Looking for a bit of help here folks.
    Can anyone who was appointed in this competition and had previous public / civil service employment please let me know (on thread or by PM), whether you were able to get incremental credit for your previous service.

I know several people have mentioned on the thread that they did - I'm particularly interested in which branch of the civil / public service you were appointed, and the same if you were told it wasn't possible..

Thanks in advance.

(I'm in the position of having been offered a job but told my previous (quite long) service won't be taken in to account, and that I must start again on the first point of the salary scale)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 clonmacart

Got my confirmation letter yesterday for a position in Longford DSP HQ. No word on my start date yet, but after this length of process I guess another couple of days waiting won't do any harm.

Ideally I wanted Sligo and the transport costs are gonna cripple me initially (I don't drive atm), but I'm really looking forward to it!

Best of luck to everyone else - keep the faith!

(P/S Anyone Sligo based interested in car-sharing send me a PM)

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of help here folks.
    Can anyone who was appointed in this competition and had previous public / civil service employment please let me know (on thread or by PM), whether you were able to get incremental credit for your previous service.

I know several people have mentioned on the thread that they did - I'm particularly interested in which branch of the civil / public service you were appointed, and the same if you were told it wasn't possible..

Thanks in advance.

(I'm in the position of having been offered a job but told my previous (quite long) service won't be taken in to account, and that I must start again on the first point of the salary scale)

I had one year of service as a TCO in the Courts Service and one year of service as a TCO in my current department before being made permanent. All my previous service was counted.

I don't think previous service in the public service is given like for like treatment with previous service in the civil service . A TCO in my office spent 5 years as a CO in a city council and our HR only gave her 9 months or something like that for that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Don't bank on getting incremental credit. I'm not sure how it works and I think some HR staff aren't too sure either as I received some conflicting advice! But I think TCO's who have a relatively short break between their TCO contract ending and starting as a permanent CO will get credit. I had a few years previous experience as a permanent CO (Civil Service) and a separate TCO contract and have been refused incremental credit. I have queried this with the main HR in my Dept and also with DPER who set the guidelines.

I would say apply anyway as you have nothing to lose and every case is different. You may also get partial credit (your previous service minus 3 years) if you have more years service than I did.

I wonder if working in the UK public service counts towards 'previous service'??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I wonder if working in the UK public service counts towards 'previous service'??

It doesn't afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Maybe service pre-Independence... Are you >120 years old...

Divisadero wrote: »
    Don't bank on getting incremental credit. I'm not sure how it works and I think some HR staff aren't too sure either as I received some conflicting advice! But I think TCO's who have a relatively short break between their TCO contract ending and starting as a permanent CO will get credit. I had a few years previous experience as a permanent CO (Civil Service) and a separate TCO contract and have been refused incremental credit. I have queried this with the main HR in my Dept and also with DPER who set the guidelines.

I would say apply anyway as you have nothing to lose and every case is different. You may also get partial credit (your previous service minus 3 years) if you have more years service than I did.

There is a lot of conflicting information out there about these things. My past service in the Courts Service came from 2006, 2007 and 2008. I only became permanent in 2015. There was no problem getting it recognised for incremental credit. I'm having trouble finding out if I'm on the correct scale or not. Some people have told me I should be on the old one while my HR said I should be on the new scale. They just sent a one line email to me about it saying I was on the right one. It would have been nice if they included their justification in their email. I'll probably ask the members rights unit of the CPSU about it soon.

Maybe service pre-Independence... Are you >120 years old...

How did you guess? I thought the face creams were working...

kceire wrote: »
    It doesn't afaik

A circular I read says equivalent service in any EU country applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 chatty2015

Hi just over 1550 for Dublin had interview on the 5th got results on the 18th and reference checked on the 20th so fingers crossed

Advertisement