Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Wanna ask this here before i ask anyone in HR.

I started a job as a temp clerical officer.

Is there a possibility to renew the contract once its over or for even being transfered into a permanent role? I've only been here a couple days and I already know that this job will be a complete breeze for me, so as a temp, do i have any career prospects or should I not bother putting in the extra effort and enjoy my downtime as much as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Well thank feck that effin test is done and dusted!

I found it horrible! Against the clock is stressful!!!

I had to change my screen for the final section, and it had started without me even doing the examples.

I think I'll be getting the thanks but no thanks email from them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Xios wrote: »
    Wanna ask this here before i ask anyone in HR.

I started a job as a temp clerical officer.

Is there a possibility to renew the contract once its over or for even being transfered into a permanent role? I've only been here a couple days and I already know that this job will be a complete breeze for me, so as a temp, do i have any career prospects or should I not bother putting in the extra effort and enjoy my downtime as much as possible?

A temporary Clerical Officer post- is 'temporary'.
    Sometimes- contracts may be renewed- but in general you are replacing someone on term-time, or maternity leave (or other extended leave).
    These posts are not made permanent.
    While a contract may in exceptional circumstances be renewed- Personnel Officers are mindful of the Fixed Term Working Act- and indeed, often staff sanctions draw particular attention to this.

Some work areas are notorious for using large numbers of TCOs- sometimes on long contracts. Part of the purpose of the CO competition is to replace posts which are held by revolving contracts, or revolving TCOs- with permanent COs- however, you have to fight with everyone else for the permanent CO positions- your TCO post- cannot be 'upgraded' to a permanent CO post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Mayo Miss wrote: »

I had to change my screen for the final section, and it had started without me even doing the examples.

Do you mean screen resolution, if so what is the best one, thanks?

davydoc wrote: »
    I'll tell you what too - I'd like to see the CURRENT crop of civil servants do that test....Not too many of the ones I worked with would pass......I can assure you of that...

Loads of them do it- there are now similar tests to cull candidates for all internal competitions.

Any internal competitions held since September of last year- feature these type of online tests to cull candidates.

• Advertisement

Do you mean screen resolution, if so what is the best one, thanks?
    I use a notebook and for the last section I would have had to scroll up and down so I had to quickly change the screen size to 75%. It had been fine for the other two sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭shmeee

A temporary Clerical Officer post- is 'temporary'.
    Sometimes- contracts may be renewed- but in general you are replacing someone on term-time, or maternity leave (or other extended leave).
    These posts are not made permanent.
    While a contract may in exceptional circumstances be renewed- Personnel Officers are mindful of the Fixed Term Working Act- and indeed, often staff sanctions draw particular attention to this.

Some work areas are notorious for using large numbers of TCOs- sometimes on long contracts. Part of the purpose of the CO competition is to replace posts which are held by revolving contracts, or revolving TCOs- with permanent COs- however, you have to fight with everyone else for the permanent CO positions- your TCO post- cannot be 'upgraded' to a permanent CO post.

Correct, I know a few who got these temporary positions.

They weren't kept on and all they got was a good reference for future permanent positions if they come available.

So don't go jumping the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

Mayo Miss wrote: »

It's just one of those type of things....everyone feels bad after it. I know I did too....just have to wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

For error checking does it automatically go from the first group of 4Qs to the next .ie could you take a few seconds before you click into the next 45seconds of questions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

3fullback wrote: »
    For error checking does it automatically go from the first group of 4Qs to the next .ie could you take a few seconds before you click into the next 45seconds of questions ?

Automatically moves on each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Just did Part B. Wow, I've had clerical work experience and never did had to solve problems like that in two minutes. >_> It's really tight.

I think I did poorly on the Numerical part, and well enough on the Error reporting part (I'm fairly sure I got everything right, but I didn't get through everything in time....what sort of office requires breakneck reactions like this?). The verbal part I did pretty good in, I think.

But if the numerical part is essential I don't think I'll be going forward. When do you get informed either way?

3fullback wrote: »

It's instant from question to question. You can take a quick break to clear your head between the three sections though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Well I can tell ye now, I made a complete feck up of that. The maths questions were very hard compared to the examples. And that feck of a last one fecked me up with the feckin screen. I tried to change the screen and got flustered. Couldn't do it so ended up scrolling up and down. A complete crash of a test for me. I don't think I need to worry bout getting called to Dublin. Even if I did I wouldn't know the half of what I answered for this. May the public service have mercy on me soul. Best of luck to ye all, and don't mind my ramblings. Feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

sickle wrote: »
    did mine today too, the verbal and error checking went well (ran out of time on a few of the error checking ones).
    The numerical didn't go too well, had a calculator problem & had to try and figure out how to get it back into normal mode so missed a couple of questions/had to guess them. Oh the panic!!

So make sure your calculators are set up right and not displaying fractions as answers like mine was (think my cat stepped on it and changed the mode!)

For me I had no calculator problem but I'm not great at maths, I had to think how to even work out percentages from division results...my math is rusty. Should have prepared more for it. But....it's my weak spot. I'm great at pattern/error recognition but not at handling numbers.

But reading responses here, I think I did very well on the verbal and error parts. It would be a shame to fail because of the numerical part. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

I still haven't got the link to Part B; I know they said wait until Friday but it's bugging me!

Checked Junk mail and it;s not there by the way!

Anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bandit99

ok, gonna do my one now,, bit nervous about the numerical section as maths is not my best subject, but ill give it a go.. best of luck to everyone who done it.....here goes.................................

bandit99 wrote: »
    ok, gonna do my one now,, bit nervous about the numerical section as maths is not my best subject, but ill give it a go.. best of luck to everyone who done it.....here goes.................................

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

no sign of it in my mail box or junk mail...flustered now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Saw a manager today at work doing the second part of the assessment for his daughter, she is a bit dim in fairness.

I met someone who was getting someone else to do their assesment today... wouldn't recommend it....hopefully my mail will arrive tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Xenji wrote: »
    Saw a manager today at work doing the second part of the assessment for his daughter, she is a bit dim in fairness.

You should report them.

Don't worry- they will get caught out on the supervised test. They always do. You'd be surprised just how many people get nuked on the basis of inconsistent test scores.

ya, really are some stupid selfish people out there..

ya, really are some stupid selfish people out there..

Well you do part b yet

no I haven't recieved my email yet...so hopefully tomorrow, u done yours???

no I haven't recieved my email yet...so hopefully tomorrow, u done yours???

Yea. Read the questions carefully and work as fast as you can. Have a pen and paper ready and a simple calculator. Don't worry if you don't finish all the questions in the error checking, hardly anyone complets the test 100%. The test is not to bad but the time limits puts pressure on. Best of luck.

Thanks, hopefully tomorrow my email will arrive, I ready for it now anyway

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I think my experience pretty much reflects everyone else's here - no problem on verbal comprehension although some qs were strange to say the least. Numerical was ok-ish but got everything answered. Error checking... easy but whatever office conducts that sort of under-pressure error checks is absolutely mental!

jes im getting nervous now.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Xenji wrote: »

:mad:

Advertisement