Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

Just done it there! Well harder than I had expected. I went for a job with PTSB and aced the aptitude tests and this was a complete struggle! Numerical section was nothing like it is in the samples. I think I can safely kiss goodbye any hope I had!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

God, was a bit harder than the examples!! Had to give a couple of guesses for the mathematical ones towards the end. Lot tougher than anticipated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If it sets any of your minds at ease- the numerical part is marked as pass/fail while the rest of the test is marked towards your final score. Aka- if you get 52 out of 80 marks (or whatever they decide the cut-off to be)- your maths is then discarded- and your score on the other sections then determines you place in the order of merit.

It was a positive discrimination measure- as women were traditionally less likely to have done honours maths- though the boot could well be on the other foot now.........

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

davydoc wrote: »
    I'll tell you what too - I'd like to see the CURRENT crop of civil servants do that test....Not too many of the ones I worked with would pass......I can assure you of that...

Davydoc: in fairness, those tests have been around a long time now. A lot of civil servants would have had to do them to enter, from CO up to PO! The "current crop" covers several generations of civil servants. You can't tar everyone with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bandit99

thats IF i get 52 right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

If it sets any of your minds at ease- the numerical part is marked as pass/fail while the rest of the test is marked towards your final score. Aka- if you get 52 out of 80 marks (or whatever they decide the cut-off to be)- your maths is then discarded- and your score on the other sections then determines you place in the order of merit.

It was a positive discrimination measure- as women were traditionally less likely to have done honours maths- though the boot could well be on the other foot now.........

That's really interesting. I was wondering about that as I hadn't read anything about it in the booklet. It definitely gives me more hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shazzer86

I'm completely nervous now. Plan on doing mine on sunday as I will have more time.I did honours maths in school and maths in college ( and im female) im really nervous about the error checking. I do that in my job currently and under pressure but this seems insane time wise. 😨

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

In case anybody is running scared at the mention of Honours Maths - you will not be expected to differentiate an infinite loop or do weird things to algebraic formulas. Its just add, subtract, multiply, divide and percentages. Though that was enough to screw me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shazzer86

In case anybody is running scared at the mention of Honours Maths - you will not be expected to differentiate an infinite loop or do weird things to algebraic formulas. Its just add, subtract, multiply, divide and percentages. Though that was enough to screw me over.
    Pweh I was tempted to pull out my leaving cert log book and notes to revise theorems lol

everyone seems to have recieved their email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

KCC wrote: »
    Davydoc: in fairness, those tests have been around a long time now. A lot of civil servants would have had to do them to enter, from CO up to PO! The "current crop" covers several generations of civil servants. You can't tar everyone with the same brush.

I done the tests I think 2006 or 2007, the tests weren't like that then, how many more intakes have been since then ? Last year when I was working there, one of the women said her son done the test , and she sat with him, said it was like a test you'd have to do for internal promotion, NOT for a T.C.O. job, also was honest enough to admit she hadn't a clue on most of the answers.

On another note, anyone who gets someone else to do their test will be found out in the supervised tests......ONE thing some people I know HAVE done, is apply in one or two of their relatives names, who had no interest in joining, and use their tests as preparation for their own, so effectively, they had a couple of dry runs under the real conditions.....suppose its an idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

KCC wrote: »

This is not true. Since the tests have been outsourced they are much more challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

I haven't got my email yet with the link to the tests.

me either but hopefully we will have them by tomorrow if not suppose we should email them

I wouldn't worry about not getting the mail yet, likely doing it in bite sized groups so as the server doesn't implode like the last time, EVERYBODY will get the mail who done the 1st part, assuming you got the confirmation email saying your test results had been completed and stored, I wouldnt worry.......you can always 'phone PAS if you ARE worried though.....

passupport@savilleconsulting.com thats the email for saville if you want to contact them....

Thanks....

No sweat, they're very puctual too - I contacted them after doing my test, b/c you don't get an email confirming its finished and stored etc - got back to me within minutes confirming that MY results were stored etc....good service....

Good stuff..

davydoc wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about not getting the mail yet, likely doing it in bite sized groups so as the server doesn't implode like the last time

My window began today though.

• Advertisement

Tarzana wrote: »
    My window began today though.

ya it said today but that it could be tomorrow wait until tomorrow and if we haven't got it by then email them

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Well guys good luck. It ain't over till it's over... I have to say (again!!) that this online aptitude test is really unfair especially for a public service competiton. As I expected people are cheating. Two issues here besides the lack of morals. Firstly the handbook says those whose scores differ significantly between the unsupervised and supervised tests may (that's right may) be disqualified. Call me cynical but I wonder if that is just a threat and will they even bother to cross check the results at all.

Secondly even if they do check those who cheat (properly!) will prevent some of us from even reaching the next stage. So even if they are caught out down the line the damage will already have been done as some who would have got through will be culled due to the artificially high scores of the cheaters.

Just checked my mail from PAS to tell me when to expect the one from Saville

You can expect to receive an email from Saville (System.Administrator@sc-oasys.com) with a link to the tests by Thursday, 23rd July 2014. The email from Saville will set out the steps you will need to take to access and complete the actual tests.

Did people get different dates then ?

In fairness, I got mine early yesterday morning..

Yesterday,,, it said in my email from Pas that i would receive it by Thursday and if i hadn't received it by Friday to contact them

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

Whats with all the complaining... A job is a job after all. I'm currently doing an internship for €50 and working a 40 hour week 8:30-5:30. I'm glad to have something!

Don't think anyone's complaining, just surprised at how difficult the test was.

Whats with all the complaining... A job is a job after all. I'm currently doing an internship for €50 and working a 40 hour week 8:30-5:30. I'm glad to have something!

not really complaining just saying bit worried about the online test

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cos67

I never want to go through that again!! I don't think a supervised one could be that bad. First section OK, last section OK (apart from that annoying little clock ticking down in the corner) but the maths were brutal!!!!

cos67 wrote: »
    I never want to go through that again!! I don't think a supervised one could be that bad. First section OK, last section OK (apart from that annoying little clock ticking down in the corner) but the maths were brutal!!!!

I'd say the supervised one will be exactly the same - how else would they be able to guage if you cheated in the online one if its not of similar difficulty ?

• Advertisement

Divisadero wrote: »
    Well guys good luck. It ain't over till it's over... I have to say (again!!) that this online aptitude test is really unfair especially for a public service competiton. As I expected people are cheating.

But as has been pointed out numerous times, those people cheating will get caught out. Other than that, I don't see how it's unfair. Supervised tests for 28,000 just wouldn't be feasible.

Advertisement