Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I don't think the same rules apply everywhere..
    I had previous service credited where i work currently, but turned down a position in a local authority, where i was told it wasn't allowed to be taken in to account.

Lots of people on this thread had previous TCO time (less than 3 years) credited in their new positions.

I was given this info from CPSU so I assume they are correct but if anyone here who has less than three years with a break in their service can they let me know if it was counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

connectq wrote: »
    I was given this info from CPSU so I assume they are correct but if anyone here who has less than three years with a break in their service can they let me know if it was counted.

There's a circular on incremental credit you could look up - I'm almost certain there was no clause saying service needs to be unbroken.

For me, this was superceded by a local authority circular which stated all new entrants must start on the first point of the scale.

(As it happens, a query went to the Department and i was subsequently offered the position on my current point on the scale, but by that stage had decided to stay where i am currently - just pointing it out to show that there can be a degree of flexibility in the system)..
    I wouldn't give up yet if i were you..

Which branch of the public/civil service are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

It is correct. I was in a similar situation and was refused credit. By the way I didn't take my Department's HR word on this but double (triple!) checked with DPER who issue the guidelines and they confirmed it. They have a circular you might be able to ask for. I think the unions may have agreed to this so don't expect much help from the CPSU. Anyway it is DPER you should contact if you wish to double check. So unless someone makes a mistake in interpreting the guidelines within your HR you can forget getting full incremental credit for previous permanent service (as they deduct three years service).

^ As i said, i believe different departments look at this differently..

I think the circular i was referring to is 40/2007..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

It will count:
    1: Progression- If you are going from TCO contract straight into perm CO with no break in service
    Or 2: Credit- where you have previous service (but it didn't go from TCO straight into CO contract)you need a minimum of three years service to get recognition.

I have 2.5 years previous service which will not count as there was a break from my TCO contract to CO!!!

How is it fair if someone on a TCO contract for say two years has their service counted if they go straight to CO contract but we have ours completely scrapped?? I'm not surprised by it but it is bitterly disappointing and beyond infuriating.

• Advertisement

There's a circular on incremental credit you could look up - I'm almost certain there was no clause saying service needs to be unbroken.

For me, this was superceded by a local authority circular which stated all new entrants must start on the first point of the scale.

(As it happens, a query went to the Department and i was subsequently offered the position on my current point on the scale, but by that stage had decided to stay where i am currently - just pointing it out to show that there can be a degree of flexibility in the system)..
    I wouldn't give up yet if i were you..

Which branch of the public/civil service are you in?

Thanks for the advice I'll look up the circular. I'm in Agri. Previously worked in Social Protection and Justice.

Thanks for the advice I'll look up the circular. I'm in Agri. Previously worked in Social Protection and Justice.

Found this circular
    http://hr.per.gov.ie/files/2011/08/Circ.-21-of-2004-CPSU-and-PSEU.pdf

It has this line in it:
    Qualifying service means actual service less three years in the case of CO and actual service less four years in the case of EO...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

Found this circular
    http://hr.per.gov.ie/files/2011/08/Circ.-21-of-2004-CPSU-and-PSEU.pdf

It has this line in it:
    Qualifying service means actual service less three years in the case of CO and actual service less four years in the case of EO...

That was released 13/08/2004 and then this which was released 16/12/2004 seems to contradict that: http://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/letter/finance/2004/3.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

ruadh wrote: »

Yes, that's 40/2007, as i mentioned.

I believe it is still in general effect,
    (it was the circular i was pointed towards by a colleague's relative who is in HR), except where it has been superceded by individual departmental circulars (such as the one i mentioned covering local authorities)..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

It's great when people are talking about the help I need! I have done a couple of tco's and have now got a permanent position. I've been sent a verification form that needs to be filled out by "h.r department or payroll only" so that my previous work is counted. Is there a general payroll point of contact for the public sector? Even though I worked in Galway I think I dealt with payroll in Dublin... any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I'm a tiny bit confused re pensions. I thought that pay up to 24,000 was exempt but I seem to be paying 12€ a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

I'm a tiny bit confused re pensions. I thought that pay up to 24,000 was exempt but I seem to be paying 12€ a week?

Pension Related Deduction is the levy, you are exempt from PRD on up to €24,750 from January 2016 and up to €28,750 from September 2016. You have to contribute to a pension and pay the actual pension deduction though which is roughly 3%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

^ As i said, i believe different departments look at this differently..

I think the circular i was referring to is 40/2007..

I'm a TCO, I'll be finishing soon and starting in another part of the Civil Service 4 days later as a CO (tuesday after a weekend) I assume this will count as uninterupted service so I will have time put towards increment?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Busle

I've been on to public jobs and they couldn't tell me how many of the 229 called for interview so far have been placed. Any ideas on this? The last person placed on here from that region was 140. Thanks in advance

I'm a TCO, I'll be finishing soon and starting in another part of the Civil Service 4 days later as a CO (tuesday after a weekend) I assume this will count as uninterupted service so I will have time put towards increment?

I think the only thing that can be said from what we've seen on this thread is that it's unclear..
    You'd need to check with HR in your new place..

It's great when people are talking about the help I need! I have done a couple of tco's and have now got a permanent position. I've been sent a verification form that needs to be filled out by "h.r department or payroll only" so that my previous work is counted. Is there a general payroll point of contact for the public sector? Even though I worked in Galway I think I dealt with payroll in Dublin... any help would be great.

I'm not sure where you work - some places are covered by PeoplePoint, which is in Dublin.. You'd need to check with your local HR/Payroll, and take it from there..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lalapo

Busle wrote: »
    I've been on to public jobs and they couldn't tell me how many of the 229 called for interview so far have been placed. Any ideas on this? The last person placed on here from that region was 140. Thanks in advance

I'm 141 and I'm currently going through clearance, they've told me the jobs available at the moment are in Athlone and Tullamore. As soon as my clearance is done I'll be given my offer, so hopefully it's not too much longer.

Holysock wrote: »
    Pension Related Deduction is the levy, you are exempt from PRD on up to €24,750 from January 2016 and up to €28,750 from September 2016. You have to contribute to a pension and pay the actual pension deduction though which is roughly 3%

Thank you! Yeah that's fair enough I suppose

FYI they're on 170 something in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 SSMorg

Any word on the Roscommon/Sligo region, any one been called for interview yet or any results from the Dublin exam in March?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ree40

Also waiting on word from the Sligo panel. No word yet from the March exams

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Hershall

Busle wrote: »

They checking refs up around 170 at the moment!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Ree40 wrote: »
    Also waiting on word from the Sligo panel. No word yet from the March exams

Did my exam in early February and still no word.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭AngelaG

To be honest with the new competition starting in Jun/Jul I think the interviews in Feb and March were a waste of time. I think they just had to get us all past Stage 2 to cross their T's and I's.... or am I hopefully wrong ....??

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kerry987

AngelaG wrote: »
    To be honest with the new competition starting in Jun/Jul I think the interviews in Feb and March were a waste of time. I think they just had to get us all past Stage 2 to cross their T's and I's.... or am I hopefully wrong ....??

But surely even if there is a new competition coming shortly, they will still go forward with those who have done stage 2 and call them for interview? I will be so mad if they don't. I'm waiting on stage 2 results since Feb, over a year and a half later after stage 1 so It is ridiculous if they discard us and have to start in new comp again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I think they are running them in conjunction with each other for a while. Hope so anyway after waiting all this time to be placed!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Hershall

Has a new competition actually been confirmed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

No way, it took a tonne of money and man hours to get that shortlist and panel together, they'll use it for as long as possible. Wexford CoCo definitely hired a good few off that round of interviews, myself included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭AngelaG

Hershall wrote: »
    Has a new competition actually been confirmed?

Yes those up for the TCO interviews last week we're told that a CO competition will be opening Jun or July.

Advertisement