Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Iamhere wrote: »
    The pay scale was the below until the 2.5% pay rise in January, entry pay is now €21,345.00 + 2.5%. To get the weekly rate you need to divide by 52.18, it works out at around €419 before tax.

Clerical officer – ppc

21,345 – 22,805 – 23,177 – 24,255 – 25,339 – 26,420 – 27,502 – 28,583 – 29,635 – 30,688 – 31,743 – 32,975 – 33,840 – 35,471 – 36,7531 – 373412

It works out as around €363 per week after tax and pension deductions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Some internal Dublin City Council rumours that they are taking on 30 Temporary Clerical Officers at end of May.

Permanent competition to be run in September/October this year.

June and July are peak times for TCOs (as they're taken on to cover parents who have school kids on holidays).

Current panel due to expire on the 1st of July- and a new competition due to be announced in early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Hershall

June and July are peak times for TCOs (as they're taken on to cover parents who have school kids on holidays).

Current panel due to expire on the 1st of July- and a new competition due to be announced in early September.

Well I can forget about this campaign so. Thats life unfortunately! !!!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hershall wrote: »
    Well I can forget about this campaign so. Thats life unfortunately! !!!!!!

Never say never. In some Departments there is a small rush to recruit in the immediate run-up to the summer (once June comes- in general, recruitment grinds to a halt). Even out of the way places are getting some new staff at the moment........

Keep in mind- from a demographic perspective- at least 20% of the civil service are retiring over the next 5 years- in some Departments its even higher. There are and will be opportunities there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I'm finishing as a TCO Friday and starting as a permanent CO Monday in a different department on same salary. I wonder will it be a smooth transition or will I be on emergency tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm finishing as a TCO Friday and starting as a permanent CO Monday in a different department on same salary. I wonder will it be a smooth transition or will I be on emergency tax?

If you change Department, I'd say there's a high chance you'll be on emergency tax.

If you don't change then maybe not.

Check with Revenue after the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭AprilMayJune

Depends whether the department you are currently in are on shared payroll. I recently changed department and as soon as that weeks payroll was processed (usually Tuesday for a CO paid weekly) I contacted the payroll section for an email contact. I then contacted salary section of my new department (get the number through the hr section you have) and got them to contact my old salary section. My P45, tax cert and pension deduction was emailed across and my pay was correct from week one.

I'm going from revenue to justice so doubt it but will check on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How much is the pension contribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭AprilMayJune

Well if you are on shared payroll it will just be smooth. I was changing payroll sections hence I did above. If you are going from justice you will have to do as I did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

How much is the pension contribution?

As a TCO 12.38 I think for me, presume same as CO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mquinnmullally

So I would appreciate some advice. I turned down Kilkenny City last summer and I turned down Waterford County about a month ago. I said that if offered Waterford City I would take it, last week I got a call that I would be offered Waterford City, so now I'm awaiting call / letter. My issue is that I have a 2, 3 and 4 year old. My eldest is due to start school in September, my middle child will be full time montessori and my youngest won't be entitled to any free preschool till next April. I have asked around and I'be been advised that I am looking at at least €310 per week for childcare (and more when the eldest two are not in school). So adding everything up (cost of getting to work, etc) I would not be €1 better off financially for the first year. The second year I might get €50 into my hand a week. I am getting various people telling me either, that I would be crazy to take job or that I should suck it up for a couple of years and then things will fall into place.

I wouldn't even be thinking about taking this job, if it wasn't a public service job, as I know the benefits are good and that I can apply for termtime and parental leave (which I do plan on applying for as soon as I can). I'm scared that if I turn this down that when it is a good time to go back to work, I end up being stick in a crappy job with no benefits, no pay increases.

I would appreciate what people think I should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

So I would appreciate some advice. I turned down Kilkenny City last summer and I turned down Waterford County about a month ago. I said that if offered Waterford City I would take it, last week I got a call that I would be offered Waterford City, so now I'm awaiting call / letter. My issue is that I have a 2, 3 and 4 year old. My eldest is due to start school in September, my middle child will be full time montessori and my youngest won't be entitled to any free preschool till next April. I have asked around and I'be been advised that I am looking at at least €310 per week for childcare (and more when the eldest two are not in school). So adding everything up (cost of getting to work, etc) I would not be €1 better off financially for the first year. The second year I might get €50 into my hand a week. I am getting various people telling me either, that I would be crazy to take job or that I should suck it up for a couple of years and then things will fall into place.

I wouldn't even be thinking about taking this job, if it wasn't a public service job, as I know the benefits are good and that I can apply for termtime and parental leave (which I do plan on applying for as soon as I can). I'm scared that if I turn this down that when it is a good time to go back to work, I end up being stick in a crappy job with no benefits, no pay increases.

Try it for a few months if it's not working out you can always leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bettyblaa

Got results fri evening for kk/Carlow came early 200s. Still waiting on results for Waterford/wexford not sure why I didn't get them. Can anyone explain how it works,is my result based on batch of people already after doing stage 2? Would jobs already been assigned to some of the people before me or is it a fresh batch that done stage 2 in march with me and I have to wait for 200 to be assigned before me? I rang PAS but lady wasn't very helpful. Really just want to know is there any chance been called for interview? With all the talk of panel closing don't think I have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Samjd

My opinion would be to take it. I understand it doesn't make sense financially but it will long-term and before you know it all three will be in school and it is one job that you can fit in around school going kids. You might not get this chance again. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭AngelaG

doc11 wrote: »

Woah 12 positions on donegal left. ... pretty depressing reading .... thanks though for this

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Mullcorr

Whats the average time from when your told your references are being checked to being assigned a place? Is there anything else that need to happen in between?

Mullcorr wrote:
    Whats the average time from when your told your references are being checked to being assigned a place? Is there anything else that need to happen in between?

In my case 2 weeks then letter with overall dept. but not specific location or start time. I rang them day after letter and asked. Think it speeded things up specific place and start date 8 days after first call.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mquinnmullally

Samjd wrote: »
    My opinion would be to take it. I understand it doesn't make sense financially but it will long-term and before you know it all three will be in school and it is one job that you can fit in around school going kids. You might not get this chance again. Good Luck

I know that is what I am thinking. I'm really trying to think long term, but it is so hard to, to think that I will be away from my children for no financial benefit.

• Advertisement

Creche facilities are provided in some Dept's did you check?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

doc11 wrote: »

Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting reading. Only ONE position for the whole of Cavan/Monahan :):) Absolutely crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Creche facilities are provided in some Dept's did you check?

no, it looks like that was all put to an end in 2013:
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2013-10-23a.302
    Brendan Howlin (Minister, Department of Public Expenditure and Reform; Wexford, Labour)
    In December, 2012, the crèche operators were informed by the Board of the findings of the FPA, and, that on the expiry of their current licence towards the end of 2013, the State would no longer subsidise or have any management role in the Civil Service crèches.
    In view of these circumstances and the decision to discontinue the CSCI and the significant subsidy provided under it, the fees charged for the crèche services are strictly a commercial matter for the relevant operators, in respect of which I, as Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform have no role or responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I know that is what I am thinking. I'm really trying to think long term, but it is so hard to, to think that I will be away from my children for no financial benefit.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/back_to_work_family_dividend.html

Have a look and see if these would apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭shinnyg

Anyone who did the exams 14th March hear anything back yet, I emailed last week to see if I'd hear by end of April as we were advised on the day the results would be out in April. Got a reply to say yes but I'm still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

shinnyg wrote: »
    Anyone who did the exams 14th March hear anything back yet, I emailed last week to see if I'd hear by end of April as we were advised on the day the results would be out in April. Got a reply to say yes but I'm still waiting

I did mine on the 10th and heard nothing. I e mailed last week and they told me they were trying to get all results out and I would hear from them last week or this week... Very long drawn out process.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭shinnyg

Very long process alright. Especially as I said in the email will it be April or is it looking like May and told no April. Hopefully we find out soon. My nerves can't take it 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mommammymam

Hi,
    I just want to let you know I am in the almost exact same position but my youngest is only 1. If I do get offered a place I will be taking it for the long term benefits. I will be working for nothing also for two years but have to look at the long term and the possibility of putting the three kids through college!
    I hope this helps because it is totally head wrecking and so difficult leaving your kids too.
    I believe I am five positions away from an an offer so I have my fingers and toes crossed.
    Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Redzer84

I seen from a few comment people have emailed pas I did too but received no reply can anyone tell me the address they sent it to? Any one get any results today?

Advertisement