Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Whats with all the complaining... A job is a job after all. I'm currently doing an internship for €50 and working a 40 hour week 8:30-5:30. I'm glad to have something!

Agreed, I'm currently getting paid less than minimum wage. 21K even with all the deductions sounds great to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

davydoc wrote: »
    I'd say the supervised one will be exactly the same - how else would they be able to guage if you cheated in the online one if its not of similar difficulty ?

As I recall, the supervised tests that were held in the RDS (I'm going back over 10 years now) had more questions over a longer period of time. You were under pressure to get them done but it wasn't a pressurised sprint.

As for time thing, don't worry about that, people!

I did an aptitude test for AIB last year. I got the verbal one ~75% completed, and the numerical one just over 50% completed. Was sure I was screwed. I actually was told I scored very highly in the tests. It's more about getting the answers right than getting them all done. Showing you can work accurately under pressure. Though obviously, you wouldn't want to do too few either.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Tarzana wrote: »
    But as has been pointed out numerous times, those people cheating will get caught out. Other than that, I don't see how it's unfair. Supervised tests for 28,000 just wouldn't be feasible.

Tarzana would you please read my post before dismissing it especially the last part. Cheaters will not be caught out until after they have prevented others from getting to part 2 (the supervised tests). That is if they are stopped at all! Also under the previous system not everyone was brought in for the supervised tests as there was a cull after the questionnaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Did anyone answer the optional personal questions (Marital Status, Disability, Religion, Sexual Orientation)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 UnluckyInLuck

Occono wrote:
    Did anyone answer the optional personal questions (Marital Status, Disability, Religion, Sexual Orientation)?

I did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Aye I answered them. Its only for a survey I think so it doesn't matter if you didn't.

Aye I answered them. Its only for a survey I think so it doesn't matter if you didn't.

Alright. I did for Publicjobs but it caught me off guard that the Saville site was asking too and I skipped over it just to get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

God I thought I was alright at the whole maths thing, but that test threw me altogether. You would need nerves of steel. I still think it was totally different to the examples. Anyway its too late now to be complaining I suppose. Its a fecker though cos I was a TCO for a while and I know I was good at it. The money would be low considering what county you would be paying rent in though.

Occono wrote: »

The mischief-maker in me was tempted to become a disabled gay Muslim and dare them to turn me down.

• Advertisement

Divisadero wrote: »
    Tarzana would you please read my post before dismissing it especially the last part. Cheaters will not be caught out until after they have prevented others from getting to part 2 (the supervised tests). That is if they are stopped at all! Also under the previous system not everyone was brought in for the supervised tests as there was a cull after the questionnaire.

It's not perfect, but really, oraganising supervised tests for 28,000 is just unwieldy.

And I don't know why you think supervised tests won't happen for the people that get through.

Focus on doing well in the tests, instead of getting het up about the unfairness of it all. I personally think culling after the questionnaire is a terrible idea as that test is so seemingly arbitrary.

The mischief-maker in me was tempted to become a disabled gay Muslim and dare them to turn me down.

I actually match two-thirds of that...

It's not perfect, but really, oraganising supervised tests for 28,000 is just unwieldy.

And I don't know why you think supervised tests won't happen for the people that get through.

Focus on doing well in the tests, instead of getting het up about the unfairness of it all. I personally think culling after the questionnaire is a terrible idea as that test is so seemingly arbitrary.

I still don't think you understand my post. I'm not sure whether that is down to your lack of comprehension skills or due to poor communication skills on my part. Don't worry though I am very focused on the tests which is why I'm not doing mine until next week. Practice, practice and then practice some more!
    I have always managed to do well in these before but I'm not so sure this time though due to both the sheer numbers involved and the lack of fairness with the new system.

Good luck with your results Tarzana.

I still don't think you understand my post. I'm not sure whether that is down to your lack of comprehension skills or due to poor communication skills on my part.

You seemed to be casting doubt on whether people who pass the online aptitude tests will be given a supervised test too:
    Firstly the handbook says those whose scores differ significantly between the unsupervised and supervised tests may (that's right may) be disqualified. Call me cynical but I wonder if that is just a threat and will they even bother to cross check the results at all.

The online aptitude test system isn't perfect but personally, I'd prefer it to a cull happening after the questionnaire as that is such a crock of shít. And they probably have good reasons for not holding supervised aptitude tests for 28,000 people.

I think it's more unfair to cut a lot of people after the questionnaire phase, TBH.

You seemed to be casting doubt on whether people who pass the online aptitude tests will be given a supervised test too:

The online aptitude test system isn't perfect but personally, I'd prefer it to a cull happening after the questionnaire as that is such a crock of shít. And they probably have good reasons for not holding supervised aptitude tests for 28,000 people.

I think it's more unfair to cut a lot of people after the questionnaire phase, TBH.

No I am not saying that people who do well in the online aptitude test and the questionnaire will not get to sit the supervised aptitude test. What I am saying is that some people who should rightfully get through to sit the supervised test will not make the cut as cheaters will artificially increase the standard required to make the cut.

In other words the cheats will prevent some candidates (perhaps even you or me Tarzana!) from getting through to the next stage. Even if they are caught after the supervised tests it will be too late as we will already be eliminated.

Re culling after the questionnaire I agree that it is not the best way of doing things either. But it is far better than the online aptitude test as it is very difficult to cheat on the questionnaire. Yes you could get a little help with the online work scenarios part. But they are hard to call anyway.

Finally you continue to refer to it as not being feasible to bring the whole 28,500 in for supervised testing. Once again all applicants would never be invited to the supervised tests under either the previous or the current system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 toadlicker

Took the test (part B) just now. Very tough. Any questions, shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Anyone recommend other practice tests beside the ones on the saville site?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Is there a link to the sample/trial run aptitude tests available for some practice?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Easons have a whole section with similar type tests- Nassau Street and/or O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tomblyboo

toadlicker wrote: »
    Took the test (part B) just now. Very tough. Any questions, shoot.

according to the pre test information booklet

error checking 6 minutes

verbal reasoning 16 minutes

numerical 16 minutes

Are they in that order and how many questions total in each section?

how many answers to choose from for each section?

• Advertisement

Tomblyboo wrote: »
    according to the pre test information booklet

error checking 6 minutes

verbal reasoning 16 minutes

numerical 16 minutes

Are they in that order and how many questions total in each section?

how many answers to choose from for each section?

You can do them in any order you feel comfortable with. You can take mini-breaks between the tests. As you see 38 minutes test -time. Allow 12 to do the examples. Leaves plenty of room (40 mins) for a smoke-break / toilet break whatever.
    Someone else should remember the answers to your other questions.

I did verbal first. Then numerical. Finished with error checking. I'd probably use the same order if I were to go back for a rematch.

Anyone else still not got their link to the aptitude tests? Sent an email just now asking about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

The error checking was not enough time imo. But the verbal was too much time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Unitedfandoc

Anyone else still not got their link to the aptitude tests? Sent an email just now asking about it.

A mate of mine hasn't got his link yet either. They're probably drip-feeding the links to avoid another server meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

There's practice tests on the pas site under advice Section.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

There's practice tests on the pas site under advice Section.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Has the deadline to do the first online part of the competition passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UnluckyInLuck

foxatron wrote: »
    Has the deadline to do the first online part of the competition passed?

Yes. Last Sunday if I recall but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The numerical part was harder than the examples but i thought the other two parts were much easier. I managed to answer all the error checking questions which is something i never managed during the examples.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    The numerical part was harder than the examples but i thought the other two parts were much easier. I managed to answer all the error checking questions which is something i never managed during the examples.

Well done. It seems you have lived up to your name by getting the error checking completed. I need some Super Rush magic!

Best of luck with the results.

Advertisement