Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Redzer84

So I would appreciate some advice. I turned down Kilkenny City last summer and I turned down Waterford County about a month ago. I said that if offered Waterford City I would take it, last week I got a call that I would be offered Waterford City, so now I'm awaiting call / letter. My issue is that I have a 2, 3 and 4 year old. My eldest is due to start school in September, my middle child will be full time montessori and my youngest won't be entitled to any free preschool till next April. I have asked around and I'be been advised that I am looking at at least €310 per week for childcare (and more when the eldest two are not in school). So adding everything up (cost of getting to work, etc) I would not be €1 better off financially for the first year. The second year I might get €50 into my hand a week. I am getting various people telling me either, that I would be crazy to take job or that I should suck it up for a couple of years and then things will fall into place.

I wouldn't even be thinking about taking this job, if it wasn't a public service job, as I know the benefits are good and that I can apply for termtime and parental leave (which I do plan on applying for as soon as I can). I'm scared that if I turn this down that when it is a good time to go back to work, I end up being stick in a crappy job with no benefits, no pay increases.

I would appreciate what people think I should do.

I would go for it because of the long term benefits it will all be worth it after a few years and you will regret not taking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Redzer84 wrote:
    I seen from a few comment people have emailed pas I did too but received no reply can anyone tell me the address they sent it to? Any one get any results today?

I wouldn't bother emailing, ring them for answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭shinnyg

Anyone got results yet today?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

No word from Donegal as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭AngelaG

venusdoom wrote: »
    No word from Donegal as yet

And according to the PQ asked there is only 12 positions to be filled in Donegal so unless we are positioned in top 12 we have little chance in this campaign.........:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Yeah I seen that. Was getting my hopes up that there would be more positions than that as there's no other opportunities around these parts. Disappointing, still want to see the results though.

venusdoom wrote: »
    Yeah I seen that. Was getting my hopes up that there would be more positions than that as there's no other opportunities around these parts. Disappointing, still want to see the results though.

Hopefully this week we will see them....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jessie2487

They've interviewed up to number 85 in Mayo/Roscommon region if anyone is wondering? Emailed them asking for information and they replied within 24 hours.
    I'm number 91 so fingers crossed the panel doesn't expire before getting to me!!

Tlo87 wrote: »
    They've interviewed up to number 85 in Mayo/Roscommon region if anyone is wondering? Emailed them asking for information and they replied within 24 hours.
    I'm number 91 so fingers crossed the panel doesn't expire before getting to me!!

Did you see the PQ that was posted earlier. There are only 3 positions in the mayo/roscommon area to fill .....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jessie2487

AngelaG wrote: »
    Did you see the PQ that was posted earlier. There are only 3 positions in the mayo/roscommon area to fill .....

I won't lose hope on that yet! Not everyone interviewed has been offered a job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Redzer84

Tlo87 wrote: »
    Will that ranking change once the batch from March receive their supervised aptitude results? This whole ranking thing is so confusing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aisinikins2121

Just got results this evening for laois, offaly and westmeath. I jumped up over 350 places but still doubt that I'll get anywhere with it if this panel is closing in the summer.

That's great I'm still waiting, wonder what the hold up is. When did you do the assessments?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Hershall

Just got results this evening for laois, offaly and westmeath. I jumped up over 350 places but still doubt that I'll get anywhere with it if this panel is closing in the summer.

Just wondering roughly what number you are now after stage 2 if you dont mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mquinnmullally

DI'd anyone read the article in the paper that pay cuts for recently appointed civil servants is going to be reversed

DI'd anyone read the article in the paper that pay cuts for recently appointed civil servants is going to be reversed

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/salary-cuts-for-recent-public-service-entrants-to-be-reversed-1.2633801

From the article in the Times:

"The Government has signalled it will abolish the two-tier public service pay structure which has seen thousands of recently recruited gardaí, teachers and civil servants earn less than longer-serving colleagues.
    The Government, according to highly placed sources, will effectively reverse cuts to allowances introduced for new personnel after 2012 in return for co-operation on productivity initiatives and a commitment to work within public service agreements such as the Lansdowne Road accord.
    In a move which would undoubtedly establish a precedent, a new deal for firefighters working for local authorities would see those recruited since 2012 in effect regain a €4,500 rent allowance which was scrapped at that time. About 90 firefighters are expected to benefit."

It seems to refer to allowances as opposed to core starting pay and increments as such. Don't think starting CO payscale will be going back to pre 2010 rates. I could be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mquinnmullally

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/salary-cuts-for-recent-public-service-entrants-to-be-reversed-1.2633801

"The Government has signalled it will abolish the two-tier public service pay structure which has seen thousands of recently recruited gardaí, teachers and civil servants earn less than longer-serving colleagues.
    The Government, according to highly placed sources, will effectively reverse cuts to allowances introduced for new personnel after 2012 in return for co-operation on productivity initiatives and a commitment to work within public service agreements such as the Lansdowne Road accord.
    In a move which would undoubtedly establish a precedent, a new deal for firefighters working for local authorities would see those recruited since 2012 in effect regain a €4,500 rent allowance which was scrapped at that time. About 90 firefighters are expected to benefit."

It seems to refer to allowances as opposed to core starting pay and increments as such. Don't think starting CO payscale will be going back to pre 2010 rates. I could be wrong of course.

I think they will have to reverse pay cuts, nor fair as it is. Hopefully they will be.

I think they will have to reverse pay cuts, nor fair as it is. Hopefully they will be.

Governments and fairness don't necessarily go together! But we'll see, even if it did come in timeframe could be years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Not going to happen, they did the same with teachers incorporating the allowance into pay but there's still a massive difference in respective salaries for those started post 2011.

doc11 wrote: »
    Not going to happen, they did the same with teachers incorporating the allowance into pay but there's still a massive difference in respective salaries for those started post 2011.

Would be v wellcome, but as you say seriously doubt it.

• Advertisement

Anyone hear any results today?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Kerry987 wrote: »
    That's where I got message inviting me to interview and details are missing.

How did you get on? Did you contact them?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kerry987

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    How did you get on? Did you contact them?

Ya the message went out by mistake but got a new message on Tuesday morning for interview this Saturday. Didn't think it would be this soon so have loads to do now with application form and competencies.

Did you receive your results?

shinnyg wrote: »
    That's great I'm still waiting, wonder what the hold up is. When did you do the assessments?

The waiting is the killer.I did mine in Early march.

Hershall wrote: »
    Just wondering roughly what number you are now after stage 2 if you dont mind.

mid 260 ish , last i there were in 170 or thereabouts

Kerry987 wrote: »
    Ya the message went out by mistake but got a new message on Tuesday morning for interview this Saturday. Didn't think it would be this soon so have loads to do now with application form and competencies.

Did you receive your results?

That's great best of luck! I got my results, I landed in the 300s so I didn't do great! I got a great score in the verbal but the clerical let me down, I couldn't believe it, i did great with any practice tests I did. I know the day I did the test my eyes were funny because I was studying so much I found it hard to sleep! Ah well!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    That's great best of luck! I got my results, I landed in the 300s so I didn't do great! I got a great score in the verbal but the clerical let me down, I couldn't believe it, i did great with any practice tests I did. I know the day I did the test my eyes were funny because I was studying so much I found it hard to sleep! Ah well!!!!

Hopefully I will hear tomoro. Was a week behind you in the sittings.

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Hopefully I will hear tomoro. Was a week behind you in the sittings.

They seem to be pushing them out daily so hopefully you'll hear soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Hershall

mid 260 ish , last i there were in 170 or thereabouts

Im in 270s.
    Last time I contacted they had interviewed up to 229.
    Not looking great if new campaign this summer.
    You never know they might fill a number of positions before it closes!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 SSMorg

How did ye contact them, what email address or number to see when results are being issued, thanks.

Advertisement