Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭littlemrs

I rang today for my stage 2 results for Roscommon -mayo and Sligo -Leitrim. They were unhelpful & said it'll be in the next 2 weeks. The wait continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭shinnyg

When did you do your assessment littlemrs? It's getting ridiculous at this stage.

shinnyg wrote: »
    When did you do your assessment littlemrs? It's getting ridiculous at this stage.

I was called for stage 2 on March 2nd but I couldn't attend that day so I did it the following week. She said anyone who re-scheduled will have their results issued separately which is confusing as I see on here that some people from my region have got results. You would wonder how they even work out your placement properly if some results are issued separately.

That's a bit odd alright. I did mine 14th March and no joy, we were told April but still no word. What number on the panel were you. I have a few location choices and one of them you mentioned where I am 906 on it

shinnyg wrote: »
    That's a bit odd alright. I did mine 14th March and no joy, we were told April but still no word. What number on the panel were you. I have a few location choices and one of them you mentioned where I am 906 on it

I think I was 186ish for Roscommon mayo & in the 200's for Sligo Leitrim but I'm hoping to move up as those stage 1 tests went very badly for me!

• Advertisement

Best of luck hopefully our torment ends soon, my nerves are gone :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Starting permanent in Justice next week, anyone know the general amount of time before you can take annual leave after starting new position, think its 4 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Redzer84

littlemrs wrote: »
    I rang today for my stage 2 results for Roscommon -mayo and Sligo -Leitrim. They were unhelpful & said it'll be in the next 2 weeks. The wait continues.

I'm waiting for that region too and rang yesterday they said the next couple of days!!

I think if you have something planned they have to accommodate. At least I hope so. I am waiting to find out where my placement is and when I am to start, got phone call last week to say I would be offered a position. We have long arranged plans to go away 7 weeks this summer. 3 of those weeks my husband has to work overseas (he will actually be away 6) and we are joining him, the other 4 weeks is my first holiday in 4 years to visit my mother and siblings who all live overseas. We have put a lot of money into this, and can't change them now.

I'm only looking for 2 days, didn't inform them as only decided today, its not in my contract but thought I'd read somewhere that you have to serve 30 days before first leave, in relation to yourself Its 22 days a year leave for permenant co's so don't know if they would allow 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I'm only looking for 2 days, didn't inform them as only decided today, its not in my contract but thought I'd read somewhere that you have to serve 30 days before first leave.

Pretty sure that'll be at the discretion of your manager, so just run it by them when your start. They should be fine with it.

• Advertisement

I hope to take unpaid leave. We would lose 1000s if we didn't go and have been broke since November to pay for it. I'm going, I have never met my niece and my brothers have never met 2 of my children. If they can't accommodate me I won't take job. I don't see why they wouldn't though, I had something similar happen when I started working in the Northern Ireland civil service and they accommodated me. You can't put your life on hold for a job you may or may not get!

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

Good luck.

Yeah Summer is very busy time in there with a lot of people taking Summer off when their kids are off but all you can do is ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I hope to take unpaid leave. We would lose 1000s if we didn't go and have been broke since November to pay for it. I'm going, I have never met my niece and my brothers have never met 2 of my children. If they can't accommodate me I won't take job. I don't see why they wouldn't though, I had something similar happen when I started working in the Northern Ireland civil service and they accommodated me. You can't put your life on hold for a job you may or may not get!

Dont think you can take unpaid leave until you an established CO. I reckon you are going to be hard pressed to be allowed to take 7 weeks leave just after your start a new job. Unless you ask if you can take up the position AFTER the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mquinnmullally

gazzer wrote: »
    Dont think you can take unpaid leave until you an established CO. I reckon you are going to be hard pressed to be allowed to take 7 weeks leave just after your start a new job. Unless you ask if you can take up the position AFTER the holidays.

If they don't let me then I'm ok with it. But they also can't ask people's lives to remain on hold. People are entitled to make plans. I'm not changing my plans, the first 2 years I'm not going to come out with very much extra money (taking into account childcare). So not going to lose 1000s to cancel a holiday booked since November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

That wont happen - permanent members of staff get unpaid leave refused on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kerry987

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    That's great best of luck! I got my results, I landed in the 300s so I didn't do great! I got a great score in the verbal but the clerical let me down, I couldn't believe it, i did great with any practice tests I did. I know the day I did the test my eyes were funny because I was studying so much I found it hard to sleep! Ah well!!!!

What region were you for again? Look you never know what will happen with this competition, things change every day with pas and a lot of people drop out too so late at this stage in competition. It's very hard to know how you do with aptitude tests ya, it all comes down to the day and questions you get asked no matter how much you prepare I think.

I don't think they are going to expect me to cancel a holiday that I have booked 6 months ago. As I said before, when I started 16 years ago in the northern Ireland civil service I had a similar situation where I was going away for 4 weeks. They accommodated me, I don't see why the civil service here would be different. They can't have expected people's lives to stand still and for people not to have made plans

You were going to request unpaid leave - that wont happen as you are only starting a job, you will be given an annual leave quota but it would be highly unprofessional to take that at the start of your new job and would not even start to cover seven weeks of leave.

You have a very entitled attitude to this - did you inform them of your holiday when applying?

I applied 2 years ago! I received a phone call last week that I would be offered a position, when and in what agency I have yet to be informed. I do not think that they would expect me to cancel a pre arranged family holiday. What do you think I should do? Cancel a holiday that is costing close to €10,000 so I can take a job that for 2 years will pretty much bring no extra money into my house. Entitled is not the attitude I have, but you certainly have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

I'm not taking this job for the money, but the benefits that comes with it, and that is flexibility. And if they are not flexible enough to accommodate a pre-arranged holiday then that is up to them. But I think it would be highly unfair for I to be denied a job due to a holiday that was pre-arranged months in advance of being offered a job.

Did you tell them this time they contacted you?

I don't see how that is any of your business. Besides they couldn't even tell me which department I was going to be assigned to. I'm not going to turn down a job because I have a pre-arranged holiday, no matter how long. Would you expect someone not to get pregnant, while waiting for a job they may or may not get? People make plans, I am sure they realise that.

You were posting here about asking for leave and people were saying it was doubtful. I rowed in on that.

I don't see how that is any of your business. Besides they couldn't even tell me which department I was going to be assigned to. I'm not going to turn down a job because I have a pre-arranged holiday, no matter how long. Would you expect someone not to get pregnant, while waiting for a job they may or may not get? People make plans, I am sure they realise that.

I agree totally, I'm sure they'll understand about your holiday. Any reasonable manager will accommodate you, after all most of the mothers in there are taking chunks of time off every summer & they are all accommodated.
    I'm still waiting on stage 2 results but I got pregnant just before being called to stage 2, I'm due later this year but I would not see this as an obstacle to taking a job should I be offered it.
    After almost 2 years of hearing nothing on these jobs it's not unreasonable to move on with life! It would be highly questionable if they wouldn't give you a position due to you needing a maternity leave within a few months of starting & illegal too I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭u2fanatic

Hi folks.. I'm starting in Command and control harcourt square in June.. anyone else starting there?

I agree totally, I'm sure they'll understand about your holiday. Any reasonable manager will accommodate you, after all most of the mothers in there are taking chunks of time off every summer & they are all accommodated.
    I'm still waiting on stage 2 results but I got pregnant just before being called to stage 2, I'm due later this year but I would not see this as an obstacle to taking a job should I be offered it.
    After almost 2 years of hearing nothing on these jobs it's not unreasonable to move on with life! It would be highly questionable if they wouldn't give you a position due to you needing a maternity leave within a few months of starting & illegal too I would imagine.

I hope you get a job offer soon. I don't think having to go on maternity leave soon will stop them offering you a position. I know a lot of women around where I live who are mothers and they work part time, plus take term time, etc. Honestly it is a very flexible job to work around being a mum and that is the only reason I applied for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

28-04-2016
    Got a phone call this morning about a position in Waterford City. I've turned down Kilkenny City and Co. Waterford....
    ...In reality I won't be able to start till September, as I have 3 children and I will need to sort childcare.
    02-05-2016
    So I would appreciate some advice. I turned down Kilkenny City last summer and I turned down Waterford County about a month ago. I said that if offered Waterford City I would take it, last week I got a call that I would be offered Waterford City, so now I'm awaiting call / letter. My issue is that I have a 2, 3 and 4 year old. My eldest is due to start school in September, my middle child will be full time montessori and my youngest won't be entitled to any free preschool till next April. I have asked around and I'be been advised that I am looking at at least €310 per week for childcare (and more when the eldest two are not in school). So adding everything up (cost of getting to work, etc) I would not be €1 better off financially for the first year. The second year I might get €50 into my hand a week. I am getting various people telling me either, that I would be crazy to take job or that I should suck it up for a couple of years and then things will fall into place.

I wouldn't even be thinking about taking this job, if it wasn't a public service job, as I know the benefits are good and that I can apply for termtime and parental leave (which I do plan on applying for as soon as I can). I'm scared that if I turn this down that when it is a good time to go back to work, I end up being stick in a crappy job with no benefits, no pay increases.

I would appreciate what people think I should do.

I'm sorry but I find your attitude to this job a bit shocking tbh. There are probably hundreds of other people who actually desperately need a job and who are dying to get the call to say they're being offered a position. You've turned down two so far and you've now been offered a third last week. That's fair enough though, I can understand that you have a family and that you're settled somewhere so location is a deal breaker.
    But I think you should have informed them of it when you were contacted to see if you wanted to proceed with Waterford City, it would have been common courtesy. A heck of a lot of man hours and effort goes into assigning someone to a particular job after you decide to proceed. I feel you're just wasting peoples' time here.
    Also, if they won't grant you holidays, you want them to wait another 3 months before you start the job and then you plan on applying for parental leave asap if I've read that correctly?? Leaving that particular department/office understaffed for a significant amount of time and taking a job that you don't even want or need, when someone else who would appreciate much more could have it, is just a bit selfish and wrong in my books.

But look, those are just my feelings on the matter. I do hope it all works out for you in the end.

I would take the job & take the hit childcare wise. It will be more than well worth it in the long term as kids get to Oder & you can be off with them every summer.

*older

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

I'm with you there cocolola.
    There's an awful sense of entitlement there that I'm not sure if it's trolling or not.
    I totally understand that after two years wait you'd plan a holiday, but the notion that they 'should' accommodate the request, and a lot of the other comments, makes this person sound like they're going to be an absolute nuisance to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hannahbanna

Wat number Waterford were you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I'm with you there cocolola.
    There's an awful sense of entitlement there that I'm not sure if it's trolling or not.
    I totally understand that after two years wait you'd plan a holiday, but the notion that they 'should' accommodate the request, and a lot of the other comments, makes this person sound like they're going to be an absolute nuisance to work with.

Whatever about your last assertion, if it were me, I'd be a bit more circumspect about posting it up here attached to (presumably) my real name - it's fairly conceivable that PAS are aware of this thread..

I'd be more inclined to attempt to get speaking to someone sympathetic there, and explain the situation, rather than coming across with an air of entitlement on here.

I would take the job & take the hit childcare wise. It will be more than well worth it in the long term as kids get to Oder & you can be off with them every summer.

Thanks, that is what I think to. I appreciate your comment, I can't believe some of the comments I have received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

Tensions are high here tonight ! Look it's a public forum. People are always going to give their opinions &they are entitled to do that whether you agree with them or not. The best thing to do is not speculate any further on what your potential employer may / may not do & wait for them to give you the answers. Those of us who have being through the long process already & have being successful, are just trying to give constructive advice from our experience.Good luck !

Advertisement