Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 waylander995

Did they tell you to expect an offer?? I didn't think on asking when I was on the phone.

No but they told my panel has been reached when i asked where i would be olaced they advised this would be done once references are complete

• Registered Users Posts: 12 waylander995

Hi Bunawillan, Waylander and Angela G,

Just wondering how long ago it was you guys applied for the Clerical Positions before?

Cheers

Nearly 2 years ago when the 2014 campaign opened

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

alwaysadub wrote:
    When you start a position, is there a delay in getting paid? I know you get paid in arrears but I was told there could be a delay of actually being put on the payroll. Is this the norm?

Just a back week, you're paid for two weeks end of second week ( minus emergency tax if applicable).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭bunawillanlad

Hi Bunawillan, Waylander and Angela G,

Just wondering how long ago it was you guys applied for the Clerical Positions before?

Cheers

Applied in 2014 campaign, done aptitude test for stage 2 in February and stage 3 interview last week

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭bunawillanlad

No but they told my panel has been reached when i asked where i would be olaced they advised this would be done once references are complete

So providing u don't murder people at work you'll be offered a job??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Thanks, same as me then, although seeing yous are 95, 96 etc I've a bit of a wait if it's only gone that far in 2 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

How does this affect people waiting for interview after doing the first two rounds?

Clerical Officer in the Civil Service

I've a wee person wondering if she has to apply again?
    Anyone know how these things work? did they run out of people on the Dublin panel and decide to get a fresh batch?

Any info would be great... ta

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭AngelaG

YuM wrote: »
    How does this affect people waiting for interview after doing the first two rounds?

Clerical Officer in the Civil Service

I've a wee person wondering if she has to apply again?
    Anyone know how these things work? did they run out of people on the Dublin panel and decide to get a fresh batch?

Any info would be great... ta[/quote

Unfortunately if she is not placed before this panel expires then yes she will have to apply again. The closing date is mid June so to keep her options open she would be best to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cmero

I can't believe they got so many people up to interview if the panel expires in 2 months time, all that work & resources wasted not to mention our time! And we have to start all over again?... If it took 2 years to invite people to stage 2 for this panel then does that mean they will use it for the next 2 years if they follow the same order?

Cmero wrote: »
    I can't believe they got so many people up to interview if the panel expires in 2 months time, all that work & resources wasted not to mention our time! And we have to start all over again?... If it took 2 years to invite people to stage 2 for this panel then does that mean they will use it for the next 2 years if they follow the same order?

Every panel has a lifespan of 2 years approx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Chances are you'd place higher on the panel this time, having experienced the tests previously, which obviously would speed you through the process..

People only being placed now were a fair bit down on the panels..

So does that mean the panel started in 2014? Did people do the tests & interview in 2014? I find it very confusing!!! I am in Donegal and no 96, I seen from here they are ref checking up to 91.... Has anyone on here been offered a job yet after the ref checks?

So does that mean the panel started in 2014? Did people do the tests & interview in 2014? I find it very confusing!!! I am in Donegal and no 96, I seen from here they are ref checking up to 91.... Has anyone on here been offered a job yet after the ref checks?

Yes we all applied in 2014. The top so many would have been called in 2014 early 15 then there was a gap as no positions were available. There seems to have been a rush lately to get more of us through. I only completed Stage 2 and interview since March. We are waiting to here of any offers after reference checks....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Yeah, I'm in Dublin, I did first part of online test June 2014, only had interview Jan. this year and started May 9th, nearly 2 years later, just got in the door!

Just looked back on Public Jobs, and I got online results in Aug 2014, supervised test results in June 2015 and interview results in Aug 2015, so it's a slow process whatever way you look at it..

It's the kind of process where, if you're not in a job already, you'd be advised to keep applying for other jobs to keep you going till this one came up..

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Just looked back on Public Jobs, and I got online results in Aug 2014, supervised test results in June 2015 and interview results in Aug 2015, so it's a slow process whatever way you look at it..

It's the kind of process where, if you're not in a job already, you'd be advised to keep applying for other jobs to keep you going till this one came up..

Usedtowait are you in employment if you had your interview in Aug 2015? Was is long after your interview that you got called?

Usedtowait are you in employment if you had your interview in Aug 2015? Was is long after your interview that you got called?

Hi - I think it was October then when I got the offer - I was mid 20s on the LH/MH panel..

(as it happens, I ended up declining the offer after all that!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Chances are you'd place higher on the panel this time, having experienced the tests previously, which obviously would speed you through the process..

People only being placed now were a fair bit down on the panels..

Not necessarily- they've given the contracts for the tests to a different company.......

Not necessarily- they've given the contracts for the tests to a different company.......

The_Conductor have you heard of any departments in Donegal getting placements soon from the 2014 panel? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

For my part...initial online tests Summer 2014.. that went so well that I was ......back for the phase 2 tests in Chapter House [drumroll] last summer 2015, interview September 2015. Once contact with humans was made, things moved rapidly - and I started January 2016.

So 18 months for me.. Now, some people did score better in those initial tests and began early to mid 2015.

This is all Dublin region. So moving on rocket fuel.

I was a civil servant in a previous life so my advice when it comes to the online civil service job simulation bit is get someone who has never been near the CS, never wants to be and has no knowledge of the CS to do the thing for you. That initial score is like a bloody deadweight that attaches itself to each and every round thereafter.

The 2016 campaign may be different. Lemmings may fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I am just filling in the new application form for 2016. I can nominate 2 counties but in reality, I want to stay in my own county. Can I just put one or is that a waste?

I am just filling in the new application form for 2016. I can nominate 2 counties but in reality, I want to stay in my own county. Can I just put one or is that a waste?

Just put one, I only put one in the last campaign 2014 ( which I have done stage 2 & 3 and passed) & I've applied again with just one choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Samjd

Could you explain why it is better to have no knowledge of CS when doing the exam? Thanks
    For my part...initial online tests Summer 2014.. that went so well that I was ......back for the phase 2 tests in Chapter House [drumroll] last summer 2015, interview September 2015. Once contact with humans was made, things moved rapidly - and I started January 2016.

So 18 months for me.. Now, some people did score better in those initial tests and began early to mid 2015.

This is all Dublin region. So moving on rocket fuel.

I was a civil servant in a previous life so my advice when it comes to the online civil service job simulation bit is get someone who has never been near the CS, never wants to be and has no knowledge of the CS to do the thing for you. That initial score is like a bloody deadweight that attaches itself to each and every round thereafter.

The 2016 campaign may be different. Lemmings may fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bonbon109

I went for an interview two weeks ago for the dublin region. I got offered a job yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭zoeybelle

Bonbon109 wrote:
    I went for an interview two weeks ago for the dublin region. I got offered a job yesterday.

Do you mind me asking what number you were? Waiting for a dublin placement after an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Samjd wrote: »
    Could you explain why it is better to have no knowledge of CS when doing the exam? Thanks

Because the job simulation part has got actually no bearing on what you'll wind up doing - anything from menial tasks to EO work in reality. It's a simulation graded by someone who once watched a training movie about the civil service and came out concluding that the actors were real.

Look back on the early to middle part of this thread and you'll find a lot of people complaining about that initial ranking following them about in the later stages of the process. Some surmounted it by luck and living in Dublin, others didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Samjd

Because the job simulation part has got actually no bearing on what you'll wind up doing - anything from menial tasks to EO work in reality. It's a simulation graded by someone who once watched a training movie about the civil service and came out concluding that the actors were real.

Look back on the early to middle part of this thread and you'll find a lot of people complaining about that initial ranking following them about in the later stages of the process. Some surmounted it by luck and living in Dublin, others didn't.

Thanks for reply, I am working as a TCO at the moment and came in the teens after the scenario based test for that so if I do the same sort of answering I should be OK ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Right guys I see a new campaign is launched so I have applied...

However I got called to stage two, on this week...

Do ye think its worth going, or is it a waste of time now the new campaign is advertised?

Right guys I see a new campaign is launched so I have applied...

However I got called to stage two, on this week...

Do ye think its worth going, or is it a waste of time now the new campaign is advertised?

I would go. It could be months before they wrap up this campaign ....a lot of positions could still be filled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Bonbon109

zoeybelle wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what number you were? Waiting for a dublin placement after an interview

I was number 1906.

Advertisement