Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Lansdowne Road comes into effect tommorow, anyone have a quick summary of changes for entry level COs, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kate2293

Lansdowne Road comes into effect tommorow, anyone have a quick summary of changes for entry level COs, thanks.

Basically nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sickofthis

TheRoyce wrote: »
    Today we enter the 7th week since I was told that I would be sent for vetting and the 4th week since I was told that I wwould be sent of for extra Garda vetting.
    Same here, its 7 weeks on monday for me, i called this week and was told it could take up to 10 weeks as im down for the dept of justice.

2.5% increase in salary. Exemption from pension levy no?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BJG524

2.5% increase in salary. Exemption from pension levy no?

That not brought in on the first of Jan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

I applied for a CO position June two years ago and got on the panel but was never called due to my position. Was there a competition for a 2016 panel advertised?

There was nothing mentioned about it in any of the emails I get from public jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

Lisa2011 wrote:
    I applied for a CO position June two years ago and got on the panel but was never called due to my position. Was there a competition for a 2016 panel advertised?

Lisa2011 wrote:
    There was nothing mentioned about it in any of the emails I get from public jobs.

Yes, a new competition was announced about a month ago and applicants were sent Part A of selection process which was to be submitted by yesterday I think...my OH applied after I saw it mentioned on here.

BJG524 wrote: »
    That not brought in on the first of Jan?

Ok, thought that was only coming into effect tommorow.

Could anyone link me to something that says how flexi time works? Cant find anything

Could u build up enough to take a half day every friday or is there a limit etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Could anyone link me to something that says how flexi time works? Cant find anything

Could u build up enough to take a half day every friday or is there a limit etc?

Not every Friday, 3 out of 4 though.

This is all dependent on if your department has flexi (most do) and if your manager is ok with you taking a half day most Fridays.

If you have flexi, you can build up time by working more than 7:24 in a day. This does not include lunch break.

To take a half day you would need to build up 3:42 in the previous flexi period. So for 3 half days you would need to build up 11:06. The max you can carry over is 11:30.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Hadn't realised lunch didn't count, e.g take half an hour instead of an hour!

Thanks. Hadn't realised lunch didn't count, e.g take half an hour instead of an hour!

It used to be easier to build up time. The working day was 6:57. They increased the working day a few years ago. If you start at 8 and leave at 4 taking a half hour break, you will get 6 minutes flexi. You can work out from there what need to do to get the 11:06.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

And make sure it's 29 minutes, 34 minutes not the exact 30 minutes as you game the clock. But yes, the half hour lunch break. In reality sometimes you'll clock in and out while working at your desk (on a public counter) then bugger off for lunch when the pressure eases.
    In reality, I can knock up a day a month flexi without noticing (8 AM breakfast at work while reading the papers online). Two if I'm planning it and you do have to watch that clock as if you go over the 11.5 hours the balance disappears

And make sure it's 29 minutes, 34 minutes not the exact 30 minutes as you game the clock. But yes, the half hour lunch break. In reality sometimes you'll clock in and out while working at your desk (on a public counter) then bugger off for lunch when the pressure eases. In reality, I can knock up a day a month flexi without noticing (8 AM breakfast at work while reading the papers online). Two if I'm planning it and you do have to watch that clock as if you go over the 11.5 hours the balance disappears

Good advice, how's the bowler hat and FT suiting you BTW :)

Good advice, how's the bowler hat and FT suiting you BTW :)

.....only lacking an Olympics and a front lawn to mow. Thanks for remembering.

6a00d8341d417153ef0163059a1616970d-550wi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

New staff are 7hrs 24 mins per day.
    You can take 1 flexiday a month but can build up 14.48 and carry over the day. Anything over 14.48 in a month is lost.
    They watch your time v productivity, so clocking in and doing nothing for 2 hours is noticed and not looked on kindly.

New staff are 7hrs 24 mins per day.
    You can take 1 flexiday a month but can build up 14.48 and carry over the day. Anything over 14.48 in a month is lost.
    They watch your time v productivity, so clocking in and doing nothing for 2 hours is noticed and not looked on kindly.

7.24 for all staff. The old 6.57 is gone. 1.5 days per month but with the option of a 4 hour day or a 10.5 hour day you can make it up or down in the month to knock up/down the balance.
    Nobody noices anything but area stats at a PO level that transmit down. If someone is watching you minute by minute you've either got a crap boss or a nice bum. Either way, transfer out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

7.24 for all staff. The old 6.57 is gone. 1.5 days per month but with the option of a 4 hour day or a 10.5 hour day you can make it up or down in the month to knock up/down the balance.
    Nobody noices anything but area stats at a PO level that transmit down. If someone is watching you minute by minute you've either got a crap boss or a nice bum. Either way, transfer out.

Never said they watched every minute but you're expected to do some work when clocked in. ...it's not a holiday camp you know :)

Never said they watched every minute but you're expected to do some work when clocked in. ...it's not a holiday camp you know :)

Of course....and there are always one or two idiots who wreck it for everyone else. The example I gave involved working through the phantom half hour lunch then taking off when the pressure eases.
    Nobody cares once those work targets are met. When they're not, "sick" days, flexi scams, and two hour ciggie breaks are scrutinised. And there will be champion practioners of all the above to be found in every office.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ando88

Can anyone who has been to interview already maybe give a breakdown of typical questions asked? Thanks

• Advertisement

ando88 wrote: »
    Can anyone who has been to interview already maybe give a breakdown of typical questions asked? Thanks

At my interview they asked nothing memorable except for a straight home run queation.

"If I needed to send a broadcast email and nobody receiving would know who was in or out of the list, how would I do that ?"

You'd BCC that....Blind Carbon Copy.

In your case they'll probably ask your theory on Armagh full backs, whether Ken is using Barbie as a beard, or what Metternich would have done presented with Versailles a century on.

By the time you sit in the interview chair the job is yours to lose. Never be afraid to say "I don't know". They are interviewing for CO's not Secretary General and even then "I Don't Know" can win the job for honesty.

And don't worry, last week my boss of 40 years experience discovered that rebooting the computer didn't involve physical violence. And she's more intelligent that 99% of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ando88

At my interview they asked nothing memorable except for a straight home run queation.

"If I needed to send a broadcast email and nobody receiving would know who was in or out of the list, how would I do that ?"

You'd BCC that....Blind Carbon Copy.

In your case they'll probably ask your theory on Armagh full backs, whether Ken is using Barbie as a beard, or what Metternich would have done presented with Versailles a century on.

By the time you sit in the interview chair the job is yours to lose. Never be afraid to say "I don't know". They are interviewing for CO's not Secretary General and even then "I Don't Know" can win the job for honesty.

And don't worry, last week my boss of 40 years experience discovered that rebooting the computer didn't involve physical violence. And she's more intelligent that 99% of the internet.

Did they offer you the job?

ando88 wrote: »
    Did they offer you the job?

Yes, (re)started 7 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Hershall

Busle wrote: »
    Hershall wrote: »
    Got that email about Dublin positions too I applied for laois/offaly/westmeath. Dont think i will go for it even though it looks like laois/offaly is wound up!!!!!

I have my rescheduled interview next week for Laois/Offaly/Westmeath. I hope that there is still a few positions left as I'd have no interest in Dublin either.

How did the interview go for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 theaxel132

its now been 9 weeks since i went into clearance. longest 9 weeks ever

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭littlemrs

I'm so annoyed, just rang public appointments today to see where my region is. Everyone up to 220 in Sligo leitrim Longford has been interviewed, except me I'm number 215, they left me out & they have no idea why, so not fair. They're calling me back with answers as to why I didn't get interviewed. If I hadn't rang I wouldn't even have known I'd been missed out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 k8coconut

What is the contact phone number for public jobs in relation to the 2014 CO panel ? I'm querying 2014 interviews to find out where I'm on the list?

k8coconut wrote: »
    What is the contact phone number for public jobs in relation to the 2014 CO panel ? I'm querying 2014 interviews to find out where I'm on the list?

I'm not sure but you could call 01 8587400 and ask for the clerical section.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aleera

What kind of work is involved if you get the Deoartment of Social Protection? Is that the dole offices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Brycen Microscopic Schoolroom

Hello, would anyone know about the following:
    im applying for a CO position in Cork, Ive done Part 1.A of the test which the deadline was last Wednesday, Not heard anything yet about part B which is the aptitude test ...My sister who is also applying, just got a email back to check her Public Jobs mail that the part b of the test is coming up soon and check it out regularly. She got this in the last half an hour or so....I didn't get this email yet...should I be worried that Im not going to get further .

Do they reply to you if you didn't get any further than 1.A

Thanks in advance

Advertisement