Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭fangler

I just launched into the whole thing there. Feel like someone just slapped me about for an hour. Went badly. Need to lie down. Maybe cry.

You win this round Public Sector. But, mark my words, you haven't heard the last from ol fangler. Not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I just did the test and also found it way harder than the examples, time ran out on a few of them but overall I think I did ok
    Did anyone get the error check finished, that's the 1 I found most difficult time wise.
    Any idea when we will get the results ?

I didnt finish any of the error checking ones!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Diddlina

I'm doing it tomorrow but going by the feedback it doesn't seem to be that positive where as the Gards was hard but doable. I don't really understand why they keep it in house again. They seem to be making the application way harder than the actual job will require. And even if the job is that technical you will hopefully have the training and the time to get to grips with it.

Anyone who has done it well done and stay positive I'm sure they'll have to mark it accordingly or they'll have no-one working for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Did it earlier. Absolutely horrible. The only part I feel confident about is the error checking and I know messed up that :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Seems kind of ironic that the 'error checking' section is proving difficult to complete due to time constraints..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 themallrat

Jesus that was rough. They recommend you have a pen and paper on hand but that advice is mute once you start the tests. The time is so constricted I'm surprised if anyone has time to jot things down or make calculations. Verbal comprehension went well enough.Numerical was horrendous.Error checking was a blur. The practice questions add a false sense of security. The actual questions are a LOT harder than you would expect. Don't think I'll get a callback but at least I know what to expect in future. The temporary clerical test was a cakewalk compared to this. My advice would be take a deep breath before you click start and don't hang on a question too long if you can't answer it.It will cost you valuable time. Best of luck to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

themallrat wrote: »
    Jesus that was rough. They recommend you have a pen and paper on hand but that advice is mute once you start the tests. The time is so constricted I'm surprised if anyone has time to jot things down or make calculations.

In aptitudes tests I've done before, I've personally found writing things down a great help. Actually speeds me up because I'm not trying to remember numerous things all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Tarzana wrote: »
    In aptitudes tests I've done before, I've personally found writing things down a great help. Actually speeds me up because I'm not trying to remember numerous things all at once.

Not enough time to write anything

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Yeah, I haven't done this one yet, I'm sure I won't have time but I'll have them beside me anyway. Just giving my experience on former ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

You can sing it!

• Advertisement

You can sing it! Definitely no time to make notes. I barely got to use the bleedin' calculator

• Registered Users Posts: 15 themallrat

Tarzana wrote: »

Normally I would agree but not in these tests. You barely have enough time to do the maths in your head let alone punch things in on your calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Glyni

Well that was brutal!!! Completely agree no time to think never mind write anything down. Examples definately are a lot easier than the actual test. All we can do now is wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bandit99

i still have not received mine,, i emailed and was told it was sent but I checked all my folders including spam and its not there....does that mean I am out of the competition....has anyone else this problem or am I the only one still waiting for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

bandit99 wrote: »
    i still have not received mine,, i emailed and was told it was sent but I checked all my folders including spam and its not there....does that mean I am out of the competition....has anyone else this problem or am I the only one still waiting for it

I haven't done the test yet, they sent me a reminder email a few minutes ago with all the details in it again. Contact them again and ask them to resend you the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Bandit you have probably already done this but if not before you contact Saville add their e-mail address to your contacts. You might as well add their support e-mail address as well. Both are in the test handbook. That way it should bypass any spam filters.

Ireceived it at long last..just finished it....jesus christ....i should have left it...OMG it was so hard with the numerical section, i might aswell have been looking into a field of thistles......but its done now...don't expect to hear from them....best of luck everyone.........

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ree40

I have just compleated the first part and got a message to say that my results have been saved successfully. Please select the Exit button. Nothing Happening!
    Sent email to pas support. Waiting on a reply

Ree40 wrote: »
    I have just compleated the first part and got a message to say that my results have been saved successfully. Please select the Exit button. Nothing Happening!
    Sent email to pas support. Waiting on a reply

mine went like that too, but eventually it went to next page...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ireceived it at long last..just finished it....jesus christ....i should have left it...OMG it was so hard with the numerical section, i might aswell have been looking into a field of thistles......but its done now...don't expect to hear from them....best of luck everyone.........

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the numerical part really tough, maybe ole Techno is still in the running.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I'm not sure if it's been said here already bit usually you only have to pass the maths section but are ranked on the other two sections

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Didn't have time to answer one question in the maths section and the bit about the rooms and the fractions? not a clue

Then the final bit with error checking not enough time whatsoever wasn't able to answer one or two questions because the time ran out - hoping that other people had these problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ree40

Finally finished. My God that was tough!

Has anyone any insight how the supervised tests are run (not that I have any notion of being called forward!)? Is it old fashioned pen and paper? The only supervised aptitude test I've done for the PS was for a temp contract with FÁS and it was pen and paper for maths and error checking and then using a PC for the verbal comprehension. It wasn't half as stressful as that thing we've just endured!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Safe to say I will not be a co-worker of any of you fine people any time soon, Jebus Tap Dancing holy fcuk that was a nightmare,I have spent a couple of days practising tests on public jobs only to find a completely different layout on Saville. ****,****,****,****,**** is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I'm getting too scared to do it now, was going to do it this morning but my calculator died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

ruadh wrote: »
    Has anyone any insight how the supervised tests are run (not that I have any notion of being called forward!)? Is it old fashioned pen and paper? The only supervised aptitude test I've done for the PS was for a temp contract with FÁS and it was pen and paper for maths and error checking and then using a PC for the verbal comprehension. It wasn't half as stressful as that thing we've just endured!

From reading the handbook I was under the impression there are only supervised tests for those whom scores are seen to be too far above average to imply cheating?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ruadh wrote: »

Its in a room of 50-60 computers- and is a re-run of the computerised tests you've just done (with different questions obviously)- in a controlled and supervised environment. It up on the first floor in the Public Appointment's Service on Capel Street. Its actually nice and peaceful. The worst part is the polarisation screen they insist on everyone using- so people close by to you can't see your answers- its annoying as f**k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I missed the last question in every section of the numerical bit. Not enough time!!! The grammar one was fine. The mistakes one was ok but again the timing was tough

• Advertisement

Its in a room of 50-60 computers- and is a re-run of the computerised tests you've just done (with different questions obviously)- in a controlled and supervised environment. It up on the first floor in the Public Appointment's Service on Capel Street. Its actually nice and peaceful. The worst part is the polarisation screen they insist on everyone using- so people close by to you can't see your answers- its annoying as f**k.

Oh my days ... if by some miracle I was called for the supervised, there's every probability that my scores would be completely different as I had to guess quite a few of the maths. Thanks for that, good to know what we could be in for ... again ...

Advertisement