Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rere

Mine seemed to go the same as everyone elses.
    So glad this thread was here, or I'd be having a bit of a freak out over the error checking post.

Now we play the waiting game....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

themallrat wrote: »
    The time is so constricted I'm surprised if anyone has time to jot things down or make calculations.
    Tarzana wrote: »
    In aptitudes tests I've done before, I've personally found writing things down a great help. Actually speeds me up because I'm not trying to remember numerous things all at once.
    Not enough time to write anything
    themallrat wrote: »
    Normally I would agree but not in these tests. You barely have enough time to do the maths in your head let alone punch things in on your calculator.

OK, I have to bring this back up. :P I found there was plenty of time to use my calculator, except for one where I was rushing but I still managed to do the calculation and get it done. Did some jotting too! Like I said, if I had been sans calculator I would have done far worse. (not that I know how I did but I would done worse than however I did) If you use a calc you don't need to do the maths in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Does anyone know when the closing date for all aptitude tests is and when we should hear anything back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Closing date was yesterday. Mid-August is what I heard we hear back.

Hope everyone did well anyway! Statistically though, most of us are fecked. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

No point worrying about it now - if we get called we get called if not it's the countries loss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dani27

irishfeen wrote: »
    No point worrying about it now - if we get called we get called if not it's the countries loss :)

I did mine the other day, was a disaster for some of the error checking and the maths, but we did our best and that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I think that was one of the answers on the maths question s

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Here's hoping we all did collectively bad on the numerical test that way we all pass as the curb will be so low. ;)

Here's hoping we all did collectively bad on the numerical test that way we all pass as the curb will be so low. ;)

Well, with anything, there's a bell curve, it just depends on where the cut-off lands on it, I guess. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If its used as a cull- it will cull perhaps 80-85% of candidates.......
    The previous comment about a bell-curve, is very very apt, and accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bandit99

Best of luck everyone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I think every poster on here who did the test should be offered a job - you've shown patience, tolerance, perseverance, courtesy, respect for others and the ability to work as a team!

On the other hand - if you don't get called for interview, hopefully something better is around the corner for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bandit99

Nicely said,,,, pity your not the one doing the recruiting...ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

The maths let me down big time. Or should I say I let myself down big time on the maths. With technology these days I haven't had to use my brain in a long time....and it showed. Time for me to bow out gracefully :cool:

Don't worry we all ****ed up the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Yeah, no point crying over spilled milk. But I'm seriously concerned about my mathematical ability (this job aside). It was a real eye opener. I did honours maths for leaving cert and studied statistics as a module in my degree. I honestly really struggled at stuff that I would have had no issue with 10 years ago! Then the timer totally distracted me and I basically just sat there looking at the screen like a cabbage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    Yeah, no point crying over spilled milk. But I'm seriously concerned about my mathematical ability (this job aside). It was a real eye opener. I did honours maths for leaving cert and studied statistics as a module in my degree. I honestly really struggled at stuff that I would have had no issue with 10 years ago! Then the timer totally distracted me and I basically just sat there looking at the screen like a cabbage :(

I'm out too. Think I did well in the other two sections but maths was a disaster. I was always weak at maths but by putting in the work beforehand I usually do well in Civil Service exams. I got in the top 100 on a Dublin panel out of thousands and got hired straight away. Also did very well in a provincial panel but that hardly moved at all. As a couple of others have said the previous sit down exams were timed but were nothing like these Saville tests. I found the questions of a similar standard to the old tests and could have answered them but not within the time allowed. I answered a handful properly and had to guess the rest due to time constraints. It wasn't the mouse clicking that got me as I finished all the error checking. Just the fact that I'm not a maths natural. Anyway those are the breaks.

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

SONIC2008 wrote: »

Choked on my tea:D Well done.

Anyone know when we should hear from them?

Don't worry we all ****ed up the maths.

Hey, the maths was my best bit! :pac:

Error-checking on the other hand...

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Anyone know when we should hear from them?

Someone on the thread rang up and was told that we'd hear mid-August.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Did the aptitude test online too thought i was going ok til the maths round..Didnt have a clue what was going on in d maths ones, other two were fine. Started wondering where the calculator was during it, started going over the 3 and 4 times table in my head then instead! Couldnt figure what sums to do then just realised you either get it straight away or dont with the time involved so i was all over the shop at the maths. Took a few rounds of the error ones to figure out what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I forgot how to work out percentages from division results......

No surprises though, I scraped by Maths in school. My counselor there was rather annoyed that I apparently was the smartest person on the entire pre-entry aptitude test, but I was bad at maths. Which is why I think I did great on verbal and error and terrible on maths.

I can't find any other jobs to apply to. :(

Thread has gone quite, too quite, is there anybody out there, out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Thread has gone quite, too quite, is there anybody out there, out there.

Oh I'd say it will liven up pretty quickly once the email arrives telling us how we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Oh I'd say it will liven up pretty quickly once the email arrives telling us how we did.

I'd imagine they'll be meeting this week to see how many applied, where to apply the cut-off point etc. And we'll start to hear next week.
    There - now that's the completely unfounded rumour started - I'm off to open another bottle.

Best of luck to everyone BTW, the vast majority of us on here will probably be disappointed - the shear numbers going for the positions just show the state of the country but at least the public sector is starting to take on.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

irishfeen wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone BTW, the vast majority of us on here will probably be disappointed - the shear numbers going for the positions just show the state of the country but at least the public sector is starting to take on.

I need a job but I won't be disappointed not having to do that test again!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dawn8585

agreed! does anyone know if there's separate panels for different areas or how did they do it for d temps?

im from mayo but had to choose 'mayo and roscommon' when choosing the area

• Advertisement

I'm currently about 4 months into a paid 12 month internship in the public sector after doing the jobbridge for 9 months.... all I can say is I love it but the precieved traditional view of working in the public sector (easy, relaxed job) is well and truly gone - having gone through two separate departments all I can say is things are very very stretched in terms of manpower - almost to breaking point sometimes with the workload.

Advertisement