Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

alphatango wrote: »
    I was recruited in the last recruitment drive in 2006. I was placed inside the top 300 on the panel and it was two years before i got the job!!! Be prepared to wait, nothing happens quickly in the civil service.

Hopefully things will happen a little quicker this time after the block on hiring over the last few years. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

alphatango wrote: »
    I was recruited in the last recruitment drive in 2006. I was placed inside the top 300 on the panel and it was two years before i got the job!!! Be prepared to wait, nothing happens quickly in the civil service.

Hopefully things will happen a little quicker this time after the block on hiring over the last few years. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

eroc79 wrote: »

Probably not my place to say this but none of use should be getting our hopes up. The vast majority of us posting here will be culled at the first stage. :-/

Tarzana wrote: »
    Probably not my place to say this but none of use should be getting our hopes up. The vast majority of us posting here will be culled at the first stage. :-/

I'm definitely not doing that(the error checking time limit. aaagh) but it doesn't hurt to be optimistic. I would like things to hurry up a bit though To know one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭alphatango

Unless you are placed very high up on the panel you will be left waiting. Everything in the Civil Service that costs money is now authorised by the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform and they don't move quickly. I am speaking from the experience of my recruitment and another experience since I joined. This panel will probably remain open for about two years so for those near the bottom thats approximately the length of time it will take. Unfortunately, they did not say how many they intend to recruit, probably because they do not know themselves. It is expected there will be a lot of retirements around next May so this may help matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Why not apply for the an post temporary jobs...see www.anpost.ie. it says retail but most are customer services I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm definitely not doing that(the error checking time limit. aaagh) but it doesn't hurt to be optimistic. I would like things to hurry up a bit though To know one way or the other.

"Being deeply pessimistic offers your best chance of long term happiness" - John Mortimer,
    If Rumpole said it, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,783 ✭✭✭billyhead

amtc wrote: »
    Why not apply for the an post temporary jobs...see www.anpost.ie. it says retail but most are customer services I believe.

Where exactly on the website can you find these jobs advertised. I know someone who maybe interested

"Being deeply pessimistic offers your best chance of long term happiness" - John Mortimer,

Normally I'd agree but I'm having a good summer.

• Advertisement

You can say that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Pardon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

billyhead wrote: »
    Where exactly on the website can you find these jobs advertised. I know someone who maybe interested

career tab on www.anpost.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

amtc wrote: »
    career tab on www.anpost.ie

They don't seem to be there anymore.

Tarzana wrote: »
    They don't seem to be there anymore.

Just had a look. Think it's just retail clerks for Dublin. There's a form you can download.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ms_Shellshock

Well there will be one less person going for the CO competition. I have been successful in getting myself a fulltime admin job that's permanent and more money then the CO starting wage :) I am currently a TCO and finish here on Friday and I start my new job on Monday. I wish you all the best of luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Well there will be one less person going for the CO competition. I have been successful in getting myself a fulltime admin job that's permanent and more money then the CO starting wage :) I am currently a TCO and finish here on Friday and I start my new job on Monday. I wish you all the best of luck

Congratulations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Congrats on the new job

Congratulations. So that's 28498 in front of me. We're motoring along. We'll be there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

There's a 3% quota for disabled people. Things like being blind. They are doing their first, unsupervised exams this week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

yenom wrote: »
    There's a 3% quota for disabled people. Things like being blind. They are doing their first, unsupervised exams this week.

Its a 3% quota overall though- and is based on self-disclosure.
    8% of current civil servants, have self-disclosed themselves to be disabled......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

yenom wrote: »

How do you know that? Did they get an email/phonecall?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭liv1892

So when could we expect to hear from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I was expecting middle of August but looks like be the end of August or sometime in September at this stage. I thought when I got last message from them middle of July it be middle of August. Surely by the end of August we hear something.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭liv1892

doovdela wrote: »
    I was expecting middle of August but looks like be the end of August or sometime in September at this stage. I thought when I got last message from them middle of July it be middle of August. Surely by the end of August we hear something.

Hopefully but it doesn't seem like its coming to quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Think we've to wait until those special needs candidates sit their tests so I'd say end of next week or the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

doovdela wrote: »
    How do you know that? Did they get an email/phonecall?
    There's a disabled person working with me in the Civil Service, she was telling me that her friends were after being called up this weekend.

Advertisement