Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

I wonder what the chances are of them breaking into the reserves in Dublin? 887 seems like more than enough people to fill the positions, even with subtracting cheaters and people accepting jobs in other regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bostitch12

Did anyone hear from the Limerick/Tipperary district yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I worked in Rev before earlier this century (2001-2004) when the 1890 was starting out. According to the personnel file that I pulled under FOI it was the only thing I had an aptitude for. Yeah, on a dull to good day it can be interesting. Sometimes you even feel you've made a difference. On a bad day, it can drill into your head.
    When I scored low on the aptitude test, I console myself by remembering the worst of it.

Perhaps our paths crossed briefly in the past! I was in PAYE around that time, but the 1890 then was a little less sophisticated, to put it mildly. Now everything is linked into a centralised system - all correspondence is scanned in so that anyone answering a call can access the customer's 'file'. All calls are recorded (and a sample of everyone's calls are listened to afterwards - God help us!) and 'stats' are king. There's an instant electronic record of all post assigned and processed by staff. It can feel like Big Brother is not only watching you, but judging you on how many items you process. Trouble is, it's possible to process something relatively quickly - but the better way is to process it thoroughly, make sure all the bits and pieces are sorted. That results in a happier customer, and the need for further phone calls on the 1890 etc.

I'm laughing at the idea that someone thought the only thing you had an aptitude for was the 1890 - nowadays they SHOULD consider that to be a very vital role. I console myself that I was at least considered competent enough to be put back into that area, after having a very busy but much more pleasant six years in another section!

On the other hand, a family member working as a TCO has told me tales of permanent staff in her area of the civil service who get away with doing very little - clearly they don't have the 'Stats are King' system going on in that section!

Sorry for somewhat hijacking a thread about the CO results - perhaps this will give you an insight into how things are in one area of the public service. Good luck to all who are still in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shar1445

Bostitch12 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear from the Limerick/Tipperary district yet?

I'm waiting to hear from lim/tipp, heard nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭budget1984

just got my results.
    Placed 21 for Longford / Westmeath and placed 16 for Roscommon Mayo.
    Honestly did not think I would get through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sligo22

still waiting to hear :( anyone heard about Galway/Clare yet??

not holding much hope anyway-i completely panicked and messed up numerical reasoning :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Askabout

What was score Budget1984?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Nothing here, still waiting to hear from limerick/Tipp.

It's like waiting for the bloody leaving cert results again;)

i know right! I wonder are they doing it alphabetically?... was always at the end for roll call too- LOL :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Malarkey101

Sligo22 wrote: »

Yea I did yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rolodea

I applied for limerick tipp and received an email yesterday at 16.50 im a long way down the list i also applied for kilkenny and got an email from them a few mins later and i was 652 there so I'm not holding my breath!

SSMorg wrote: »
    I place 400-500 in both Roscommon/Mayo & Sligo/Leitrim. What are the chances of them taking on 400-500 people in these small counties or how long will we be placed on the panel before it becomes void...

Be shocked if they took on more than 5-10 people in these areas sorry

jobseekr1 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I came mid 4000's in Dublin, I presume I can kiss my chances on this campaign goodbye?
    Does anyone have a notion as to roughly how many jobs there will be, and of those how many in Dublin? Cheers

I would be guessing around the 50 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Sligo22 wrote: »

I'm still waiting on Limerick Tipp and Galway Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭shmeee

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on Limerick Tipp and Galway Clare.

Same as with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭budget1984

Askabout wrote: »
    What was score Budget1984?

my score was 315

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Re the number of jobs for Dublin my wild guess would be a couple of hundred jobs will be filled straight away and then some more may be filled from time to time off the panel. For outside Dublin I'd say it will be just a few scraps here and there.

All guess work of course as it all depends on budgets. Though they certainly need a lot of staff for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sabrinakinsella

Anyone hear from laois/offaly yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mjayne

Anyone hear from laois/offaly yet :(

No losing my mind :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Divisadero wrote: »
    Re the number of jobs for Dublin my wild guess would be a couple of hundred jobs will be filled straight away and then some more may be filled from time to time off the panel. For outside Dublin I'd say it will be just a few scraps here and there.

All guess work of course as it all depends on budgets. Though they certainly need a lot of staff for Dublin.

They will need alot of staff all over the country over the coming years. Who is going to admin most public bodies with all the retirements coming up? Dublin will purely get the majority of jobs because of it population but also the competition is stiffer to get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PR_2014

Hi there,

I got my results and all that and its great, but I am just a bit confused. When they say...
    "Your place: 3935
    Based on these results, you have reached the qualifying standard at Stage 1. Candidates placed up to and including 887 for the Dublin region will shortly be invited to Stage 2.
    If necessary, additional candidates may be invited forward at a later date. Should your place from Stage 1 be reached, you will be contacted in relation to proceeding to Stage 2."

Trying to get my head around it, I think its good news but still?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sabrinakinsella

Mjayne wrote: »
    No losing my mind :(

Im sick refreshing my messages. Didn't do great in placement for kildare / Wicklow or Dublin was way worse so im clutching at straws here. At least I passed stage 1 eh....

Finished my tco contract in revenue on 19th Sept and praying to God for something full time!

PR_2014 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I got my results and all that and its great, but I am just a bit confused. When they say...
    Based on these results, you have reached the qualifying standard at Stage 1. Candidates placed up to and including 887 for the Dublin region will shortly be invited to Stage 2.
    If necessary, additional candidates may be invited forward at a later date. Should your place from Stage 1 be reached, you will be contacted in relation to proceeding to Stage 2."

You're in the reserves for Dublin. There's 3000 odd ahead of you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

PR_2014 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I read that as people placed 887 and above get called for second round and anyone below that doesn't. Sorry! Also, feel free to correct me!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

dooey_01 wrote: »
    "Your Total Score: 338
    Your place is: 2

I am pleased to inform you that you have reached a standard at Stage 1 which puts you among those candidates placed up to and including 887 for the Dublin region who will shortly be invited to Stage 2."

What does "your place" actually mean?

Thanks

You got the 2nd highest score!!!! You got the silver medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

Well done to everyone who has been put through to the next stage.

Did any one hear anything from the Waterford area?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭littlemouse22

My hopes gone out the window, placed in the three thousands :-( Good luck to everyone who has made it through !

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

Out of curiosity, I did the test just to see. Dublin placed 1,744 score 272.

I am not very good clerical officer material, although I exceed the basic qualifying standard. The tests are designed so that the person with the best aptitude for a clerical officer role will score the highest. I don't fit the clerical officer standard as I am a qualified accountant having only worked in the private sector.

• Advertisement

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    I don't fit the clerical officer standard as I am a qualified accountant having only worked in the private sector.

That doesn't mean you wouldn't do well in a CO role. Don't see the relevance of mentioning you're an accountant. Lots of people applying would be skilled in other areas. Now whether you'd want to do well as a CO is a different matter entirely.

Advertisement