Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bubsicle

I scored 287 and got placed

307 in Longford, leitrim and Sligo.

and 236 in Mayo Roscommon.

I'm a bit confused on the 288 cut off point. does this mean I miss out by one point??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Meant the pass rate was at 45%/50% roughly rather than 40% if it were 40% a lot more people have passed. Best of luck to everyone who passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Tarzana wrote: »
    You're in the reserves for Dublin. There's 3000 odd ahead of you though.

You're right, but I think the figure is higher than that.

For example I got placed at 1718, but there's far more than 1717 people ahead of me. There could be (example figure) 5 to 10 people who got placed at number 1 for Dublin, and the same for the other 886 places. There could be 5 to 10 people who have the same place as me. So if there's an average of 5 people per place in the top 887 places that could mean there's over 4000 people in the top 887 places.

That's my reading of the placing system, I might be wrong. Hopefully I am...

:)

If people score the exact same points for the same regions then what is the next criteria to differentiate them on the league table?

Alphabetical order probably? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

You're right, but I think the figure is higher than that.

For example I got placed at 1718, but there's far more than 1717 people ahead of me. There could be (example figure) 5 to 10 people who got placed at number 1 for Dublin, and the same for the other 886 places. There could be 5 to 10 people who have the same place as me. So if there's an average of 5 people per place in the top 887 places that could mean there's over 4000 people in the top 887 places.

Hmmm, I dunno. If 5 placed in a certain position then I think the next position down might be 5 lower than that again? Say those five might be 287th, then the next position given out might be 292nd?

I'm not sure of this, just speculating. I think if it was done your way, they'd need to tell you how many people are ahead of you.

• Advertisement

If people score the exact same points for the same regions then what is the next criteria to differentiate them on the league table?

Alphabetical order probably? :rolleyes:

Interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'm confused do they score you according to the regions you pick or is that not overall the score you get would apply to each of the regions?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Hmmm, I dunno. If 5 placed in a certain position then I think the next position down might be 5 lower than that again? Say those five might be 287th, then the next position given out might be 292nd?

I'm not sure of this, just speculating. I think if it was done your way, they'd need to tell you how many people are ahead of you.

Quite possibly. I would hope that it's arranged in the way you interpret it.

Quite possibly. I would hope that it's arranged in the way you interpret it.

Well, my thinking is probably not quite right, but I'm thinking it'd be like how rankings work in sporting events. If two people tie for second in an event, it's classed as 3rd place, I think?

Or my class ranking for my degree. I thought I was 7th based on which the group I was in which was the seventh group. But my group's ranking was 11th because there was 10 people ahead of us, even though some of them got the same marks as each other.

I'll stop rambling now. :pac:

Interview.

But say in the case for Dublin where 887 are going through to the next stage.

How do they know who placed 887th and who placed 888th if they were hypothetically to get the same points? Can two get the same position on the table or do they use criteria to distinguish them?

Goal difference perhaps? :D

• Advertisement

But say in the case for Dublin where 887 are going through to the next stage.

How do they know who placed 887th and who placed 888th if they were hypothetically to get the same points?

They'd be given the same rank. And then the next people down might be ranked lower by the amount of people in the rank above. Or something. Will someone with a statistics head help me out here? :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭paddycakes

Just read my message there. I placed 53rd, only applied for Cork. Just need 52 people to drop out now so I can take the supervised tests!!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

That doesn't mean you wouldn't do well in a CO role. Don't see the relevance of mentioning you're an accountant. Lots of people applying would be skilled in other areas. Now whether you'd want to do well as a CO is a different matter entirely.

I wouldn't do well in a CO role from a job satisfaction and motivation viewpoint, having had much more responsibility, managerial and supervisory experience in the private sector. It would be odd for example having a qualified accountant just answering the phone in the Revenue as a CO.

They'd be given the same rank. And then the next people down might be ranked lower by the amount of people in the rank above. Or something. Will someone with a statistics head help me out here? :pac::p

Ahh i get you now.

E.g

Mary and John are tied at 1 on say 300 points
    Tom is 3rd on 287
    Alice, Bill, and Jackie then tie on 260 points
    Timmy is next on 250

So league table

1 Mary
    1 John
    3 Tom
    4 Alice
    4 Bill
    4 Jackie
    7 Timmy

So in essence Timmy would be 7th because there are 6 who scored better then him?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

Hi all first of all congrats to all that have got through!!! But i still havnt herd anyting from limerick/tipp region has anybody else herd anyting?

tiny14 wrote: »
    Hi all first of all congrats to all that have got through!!! But i still havnt herd anyting from limerick/tipp region has anybody else herd anyting?

Firstly Welcome to Boards

Nothing yet Tiny. Im also waiting for Waterford/Wexford and Kilkenny/Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

dooey_01 wrote: »
    "Your Total Score: 338
    Your place is: 2

I am pleased to inform you that you have reached a standard at Stage 1 which puts you among those candidates placed up to and including 887 for the Dublin region who will shortly be invited to Stage 2."

What does "your place" actually mean?

Thanks

Woah! RTE should have a camera crew outside your house - that's the equivalent of 7 A1s in the Leaving Cert!

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    I wouldn't do well in a CO role from a job satisfaction and motivation viewpoint, having had much more responsibility, managerial and supervisory experience in the private sector. It would be odd for example having a qualified accountant just answering the phone in the Revenue as a CO.

I'm not really sure what your point is. Obviously, your current position comes with more responsibility and you wouldn't find it fulfilling being a CO, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't do well as a CO.

A lot of people here are probably far more skilled than the CO position requires, but just found themselves unemployed for whatever reason and need the job.

An unemployed accountant may well soon find themselves answering phones in the revenue as a CO.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

Heard nothing for limerick either..
    Bit confused about the whole process now. Such a rigmarole for such a low paid job.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aisinikins2121

has anyone heard from westmeath yet? or the galway/clare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

VONSHIRACH wrote: »

Ah I'd be delighted to see you sit opposite me in the phone area and see how you got on.:P

(Quite a lot of my CO colleagues have degrees and some are qualified accountants at this stage - though obviously they would be hoping for promotion a.s.a.p. - but still had to undergo psychometric testing similar to the test for CO in order to qualify for interview - bit daft that, as some didn't reach the required standard in the test - hopefully in future a different method of selection for promotion might be used).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hmc2659

Hi all,

I placed 140th in Kerry (my second choice) with 280 points. Just wondering how likely it is that I'll get a job from this realistically? This whole process has me baffled!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Has anyone heard from Clare/Galway or Limerick/Tipp.

Very frustrating waiting for a message to go off.
    Worried that they mightn't have registered them as my choices :(

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Finally heard something back. I'm placed 288 for Waterford/Wexford. Still waiting to hear form Kilkenny/Carlow and Limerick/Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

Firstly Welcome to Boards

Nothing yet Tiny. Im also waiting for Waterford/Wexford and Kilkenny/Carlow

Thanks a mill best of luck anyway to you!!! Im not expecting to get through but would be nice to see how I did do:)

egan2020 wrote: »
    Finally heard something back. I'm placed 288 for Waterford/Wexford. Still waiting to hear form Kilkenny/Carlow and Limerick/Tipp

Well done to you. Got word from Waterford/Wexford myself.

Your total score:
    Your place is: 695

Needless to say i wont be waiting patiently by the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rolo29

I haven't heard anything from tipp/limerick or kilkenny /carlow, not looking good I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Just heard on Waterford/Wexford where a score of 283 got me placed in the 180's. Just waiting on Tipp/Limerick now but I can guess from my other placings how it's going to pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Malarkey101

francozola wrote: »
    Has anyone heard from Clare/Galway or Limerick/Tipp.

Very frustrating waiting for a message to go off.
    Worried that they mightn't have registered them as my choices :(

I heard for galway/clare yesterday top 30

• Advertisement

Rolo29 wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything from tipp/limerick or kilkenny /carlow, not looking good I'd say

It takes time to be fair. Many of us havent heard from them yet. It might be a better sign you heard nothing of yet

Advertisement